• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cherry Launches WeTex Hygienic Keyboard Covers

For years, various representative studies have shown that computer keyboards are among the dirtiest and most bacterially contaminated office products available. There are many reasons for this. Firstly there is a high concentration of foreign bacteria on our hands with which we operate the keyboard. Secondly, external influences such as eating and drinking at work, bring further contamination to the keyboard. These impurities often remain hidden as dirt and bacteria collect under the individual keys. Unfortunately, because of this, keyboards are cleaned by their owners far too rarely or only on the surface.

In today's tense times, where special attention must be paid to hygiene, some industrial sectors and branches are confronted with sanitation concepts that sometimes push them to their limits. Especially in organizations with a large number of staff and constant changes of customers or patients, or in production or workshops where liquids, dust, or production waste are generated during work, simple and effective solutions are needed to protect computer keyboards.

As the world's leading keyboard manufacturer, CHERRY has reacted accordingly. It has added CHERRY WetEx to its range of products, a protective cover for computer keyboards that prevents dirt from penetrating under the keys of a keyboard, and also can be cleaned without difficulty using standard disinfectants*. This provides simple but effective protection against bacteria, viruses, and other contaminants. In clinics and doctors' offices, for example, the keyboard's entire contact surfaces can be disinfected quickly and easily regularly, which can protect your employees from illness.

WetEx is a flexible protective film which is resistant to diesel, oil, detergent, and distilled water as well as conditionally resistant to petrol and 40% sulphuric acid. It fits perfectly over the keyboard and offers an impenetrable surface. Under normal conditions, WetEx will last >10 million operating cycles and is ideal for home, office, and industrial applications.

WetEx has been developed for a wide range of CHERRY products, including the KC 1000, G84-4100, KC 1000 SC, and STREAM KEYBOARD models. It is easy to handle and provides comprehensive protection for the keyboard within seconds. Because CHERRY always takes the environmental aspect into account in its products, WetEx is free from halogens and latex and does not contain polybrominated diphenyl ethers. No polybrominated dibenzodioxin or dibenzofuran is produced during disposal.

The CHERRY WetEx keyboard protection is available immediately starting at a recommended retail price of 30 USD.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name cryohellinc PC
Processor i7-4770k @4.5ghz
Motherboard MSI Z87 MPOWER
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series™ H115i
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16gb @1600mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Sea Hawk GTX 1080 2100mhz
Storage 3ssd - 64gb (software) ;128 (software + operational system); 256gb - Games + 1TB HDD
Display(s) PG348Q
Case Obsidian Series® 750D Full Tower ATX Case
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR + Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250Ω
Power Supply Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei
Keyboard SteelSeries 6gv2 + custom O-Rings. Using Via PS2 connector
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Make your keyboard nice mushy....

Also apparently cleaning your keyboard isn't a thing anymore.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
This was everywhere around 10 years ago, but fell out of popularity. Its not a bad compromise especially in places where hygiene is more important than typing on mushy keys e.g. hospital counters.

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
hummm, a good idea, but the timing seems like nothing more than a money grab due to the pandemic... now if they would just make them to fit all other keyboards, the entire company could retire as mega-millionaires within a short time :mad:..:cry:..:fear:

In some small mom & pop shops, I still see some of those grimey old rubberized/plasticized covers left over from way back that have now turned a dark baby-poop yellow or snot-greenish color due to their age, which makes me wanna puke every time..

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max
Cooling stock crap AMD wraith cooler
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro RX580 8GBs
Storage Adata Gammix S11 Pro 1TB nvme
Case Corsair Caribide Air 540
I'd like to have the option of using such a cover, whenever I see fit. Maybe I'll be away for some days and would rather my expensive mechanical keyboard not get dusty. Maybe I want to mush-it-up for a session of cheetos and gaming. Maybe my girlfriend's long haired cat makes cleaning the keyboard all too frequent, and I'd rather keep the original clicky mechanical feel for gaming or serious typing, not browsing and casual use. I wish major keyboard manufacturers reintroduced these.