• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard II Stars Selling

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
For those addicted to the track-point on their ThinkPad notebook, and can't get themselves to use a mouse on their desktops, Lenovo rolled out the ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard II back in January 2020, which started selling for USD $85.99. This is a wireless+wired keyboard that's laid out exactly like a ThinkPad T-series notebook's keyboard, with a track-point in the middle, and its two buttons. and a typical 13-inch class notebook's 83-key layout, plus three buttons for the track-point. There are three ways to connect this keyboard to your computer/notebook/tablet: over Bluetooth, over 2.4 GHz RF, using the included dongle, and plugging it directly with the included USB-C to USB-A cable, which charges its battery, as well as lets you use the keyboard as a USB-HID. The keyboard uses the same scissor-type switches found on ThinkPads, with Chicklet keycaps. It measures 305.5 mm x 164 mm x 13.7 (WxDxH).

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Ryzen
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus (Wi-Fi)
Cooling Cryorig H7
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR4 3200MHz 2x8GB + 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 6700 XT GAMING OC
Storage WD_Black SN850 500GB NVMe SSD + Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Gigabyte G27QC
Case NZXT H510 Flow
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries Arctis Prime
Power Supply Corsair RM650x Gold 650W
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard HyperX Alloy FPS Cherry MX Blue
Software Windows 11 Pro
Good for HTPCs I guess.

Not a fan of chicklet keys, but at least lenovo's style on them aren't square. You can at least probably get a grasp of where your hand are on one of these ThinkPad TrackPoint keyboards. I personally prefer cherry's low profile beveled chicklet keycaps a whole lot better for my scissor switch keyboard. It feels good to type on with all the low travel perks of a scissor switch. I personally like them far more than a traditional full height membrane keyboard, but durability could still stand improvements is the negative side of it. I'm waiting on a scissor switch design that uses optical that would be ultimate keyboard and with a tiny bit of bottoming out cushioning gel or something. Perhaps Razor will do that eventually they seem to be heading in that direction with the optical switches. If I'm not mistaken Razor's optical switch keyboards are already very comparable to a scissor switch's low actuation.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Good for HTPCs I guess.
Yep, I broke my MS Arc keyboard, and couldn't stand the K400 because it feels cheap and mushy (I mean, it is cheap, so I can forgive that).
I'm making do with an aluminium-decked Amazon special from a company called "Jelly Bean" but it's meh and I would gladly pay extra for Thinkpad keyboard quality, even ignoring the handy trackpoint.

Processor 3700X
Motherboard X570 TUF Plus
Cooling U12
Memory 32GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX970
Storage 512GB 970 Pro
Case CM 500L vertical
Does it actually work via USB-C as a wired KB? Early (prerelease) reports indicated otherwise, and that USB-C was for charging only. If it works over USB-C, it would be a surefire purchase for me. My main complaint about the previous thinkpad KB was it used the _30 series KB (or somewhere around there, maybe _40/_50 series), which didn't have clustered function groups.

Either way, it is also lacking a backlit option.

I do use mine as a SBC KB (Pi, Jetson), since it's the smallest KB with an integrated mouse, so I have less to carry around.

It also appears to be using the Carbon's lower profile KB, since it has the flat mouse buttons. Makes sense, even if I wish they used the current T series KB with more travel (T_90).

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Looks good to me, all it needs is an optional wireless number pad to use alongside it.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
My current (non-wireless) previous model trackpoint keyboard is on the verge of dying (the micro USB port is on its last legs thanks to an untimely yank on the cable a while back), so I've been googling the product number for the Norwegian version of this for the past month hoping that it'll show up soon. It's started to arrive in business-only etailers (though not in stock yet, ETA 6/2 listed some places), so hopefully I'll be able to order one soon. Absolutely love my current one, though wireless would absolutely be a nice addition.

@jeremyshaw I'm wondering about the same thing - their previous BT version was purely wireless with micro USB only for charging, and I'm fearing a repeat of history here. If it had the flexibility to work both wired and wireless that would be excellent. If nothing else, I'll report back here once I get my hands on one.

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
Cooling Stock
Memory 2x8GB Kingston Beast Series DDR3 2133MHz CL11
Video Card(s) Asus STRIX-GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
Storage Kingston HyperX 3K, 120GB
Display(s) AOC 2269WM
Audio Device(s) Behringer UCA202 USB
Power Supply Seasonic G Series 550W
Software Win 7 x64
I wonder if the Fn can be swapped around with the Ctrl, like on ThinkPads. I'm sure I would never get used to that weird placement. It would be nice to be able to do that from the keyboard, independent of OS. As I plan to use it with a PC and a Raspberry PI.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to buying this but I would be somewhat disappointed if the feel is not that of the T590.

System Name Hotbox
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
I wonder if the Fn can be swapped around with the Ctrl, like on ThinkPads. I'm sure I would never get used to that weird placement. It would be nice to be able to do that from the keyboard, independent of OS. As I plan to use it with a PC and a Raspberry PI.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to buying this but I would be somewhat disappointed if the feel is not that of the T590.
If you're using it on a ThinkPad with that bios setting enabled, then yes, if not, likely not - at least it's not possible on my wired 1st gen keyboard.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.

Almost certainly not, Lenovo implement that in their BIOS. I doubt your PC has a lenovo laptop BIOS in it.

More importantly, why do Lenovo insist on doing this? The CTRL key needs to go in the bottom left corner. It's about as mandatory as the ESC key being top left and putting Fn there instead of CTRL is a boneheaded mistake that I have never managed to live with across almost two decades (My first T30 had the stupid Fn placement and for all I know IBM was making that dumb decision long before I was introduced to Thinkpads).

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
Cooling Stock
Memory 2x8GB Kingston Beast Series DDR3 2133MHz CL11
Video Card(s) Asus STRIX-GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
Storage Kingston HyperX 3K, 120GB
Display(s) AOC 2269WM
Audio Device(s) Behringer UCA202 USB
Power Supply Seasonic G Series 550W
Software Win 7 x64
If you're using it on a ThinkPad with that bios setting enabled, then yes, if not, likely not - at least it's not possible on my wired 1st gen keyboard.

I use a Logitech K380 and i can toggle Fn Lock from the software. If afterwards i kill the process, the Fn Lock sticks (although i no longer am able to use the Fn key for some reason). I interpret this as a device level change not as something done trough a hook. If Logitech can do this one would think that Lenovo is also capable. But i'm somewhat concerned by the quality of the driver/application Lenovo user for this keyboard. I installed it in Windows sandbox and besides not being able to run the UI the installer looked like something from Windows 95.

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
I use a Logitech K380 and i can toggle Fn Lock from the software. If afterwards i kill the process, the Fn Lock sticks (although i no longer am able to use the Fn key for some reason). I interpret this as a device level change not as something done trough a hook. If Logitech can do this one would think that Lenovo is also capable. But i'm somewhat concerned by the quality of the driver/application Lenovo user for this keyboard. I installed it in Windows sandbox and besides not being able to run the UI the installer looked like something from Windows 95.
No, as mentioned above, this is a BIOS-based feature on ThinkPads , so AFAIK on a non-ThinkPad there is no way of toggling this - at least there isn't on my current keyboard. Saying that it is possible with a product from another OEM has no bearing on this

Processor 3700X
Motherboard X570 TUF Plus
Cooling U12
Memory 32GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX970
Storage 512GB 970 Pro
Case CM 500L vertical
My current (non-wireless) previous model trackpoint keyboard is on the verge of dying (the micro USB port is on its last legs thanks to an untimely yank on the cable a while back), so I've been googling the product number for the Norwegian version of this for the past month hoping that it'll show up soon. It's started to arrive in business-only etailers (though not in stock yet, ETA 6/2 listed some places), so hopefully I'll be able to order one soon. Absolutely love my current one, though wireless would absolutely be a nice addition.

@jeremyshaw I'm wondering about the same thing - their previous BT version was purely wireless with micro USB only for charging, and I'm fearing a repeat of history here. If it had the flexibility to work both wired and wireless that would be excellent. If nothing else, I'll report back here once I get my hands on one.
Just as a curiosity, did you get one, or is it more of a long term goal?

Professional "reviewers" are saying no, but not explicitly stating if they actually tested that out or are they just parroting Lenovo's spec sheet.