• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Arctic Announces Freezer 13 X Series CPU Coolers

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Arctic today announced the Freezer 13 X Series CPU air coolers, including the A13X, A13X CO, i13X, and i13X CO. Smaller, quieter, more energy-efficient and powerful: The Freezer 13 X series, successor to the Freezer 13, combine a compact and advanced heat sink design, with different versions being developed for different areas of application:

Offset direct touch heatpipes in conjunction with a pressure-optimised 92 mm fan ensure optimal heat dissipation - despite the comparatively small dimensions and an installation height of only 137 mm. All coolers of the Freezer 13 X series are supplied with pre-applied ARCTIC MX-2 thermal compound and have a simple assembly system.

Features
  • Available in different versions for AMD & Intel and as CO variant
  • Three offset heat pipes ensure optimal heat dissipation
  • P-fan for increased performance
  • Extended lifespan thanks to low motor temperature
  • Lower power consumption and less vibration with new motor technology
  • Pre-applied MX-2 thermal paste
Availability
The Freezer 13 X series is available now on the market and at Amazon, starting at a MSRP of £ 25.33. For more information, visit the product page.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I can't say I approve of the proprietary fan, but the mounting mechanism looks okay and Arctic's coolers have always been decent budget options.

So AC again with the AMD or Intel only coolers. I wonder if it has something to do with some of the last models receiving bad critics.
I am still using a socket 939 (s754 too?) Freezer 64 Pro with my Ryzen. Yes, it works perfectly with AM4. I bought it in 2006 I think.

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
Memory 40gb of DDR 4 2700
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon 500
Storage Fusion Drive 1 TB
Display(s) 27 Inch IMac late 2017
So AC again with the AMD or Intel only coolers. I wonder if it has something to do with some of the last models receiving bad critics.
I am still using a socket 939 (s754 too?) Freezer 64 Pro with my Ryzen. Yes, it works perfectly with AM4. I bought it in 2006 I think.
so the old freezers will work with AM4 if you don't remove the mounts from the factory for the wraith? The reason I ask is I have one on my desk. I wonder if its better than the factory cooler.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
so the old freezers will work with AM4 if you don't remove the mounts from the factory for the wraith? The reason I ask is I have one on my desk. I wonder if its better than the factory cooler.
IME they're always better than stock coolers. Lower temps, lowers noise. Even if they can't compete with the top-end solutions.

Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI B450M Gaming Plus
Cooling EK Supremacy EVO, Bykski N-GV1080TIG1-X (Gigabyte 1080TI Turbo) [280mm front, 240mm top, 120mm back]
Memory 16GiB 3600Mhz CL16 Patriot Viper
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080Ti Turbo
Storage 4TiB Seagate Baracuda + 256 GiB Samsung 970 Evo Plus (StoreMI) & 500GiB Intenso SSD
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG271CR
Case CoolerMaster NR600
Power Supply Seagate Focus Plus 650 Watt GOLD
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force
Keyboard ReIDEA KM06
I like the fact that the AM4 option is ever so slightly cheaper :D

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I like the fact that the AM4 option is ever so slightly cheaper :D
AM4 motherboards include a backplate and four mounting posts already, so it should be cheaper!

Since there are Intel and AMD specific variants here, I'm a little disappointed that the AMD model doesn't work with the AM4 retention bracket, OR directly with the backplate.

Intel's push-pin is quick and easy but also rather completely frickin' usless for anything except the garbage-tier Intel coolers.

IME they're always better than stock coolers. Lower temps, lowers noise. Even if they can't compete with the top-end solutions.
In some reviews yeah, but some others compare the sound volume. In that case, it looks better than the top end coolers. I think we are very near the air drag limit of air coolers. Arctic's expertise of meeting the requirement with just the right amount, might amount to something.

If ever there was an elegant cooler, I think it carries this badge.

Sorry didn't see your post. Yes, I'm using that one, fits perfectly with the MSI B350 Tomahawk. It only grabs the mount by one protrusion on each side, when the cooler has 3 holes each side for the S754 and s939 that had 3 or 4 protrusions. So it depends on pressure alone to stay in its place and that pressure seems to be fine. Now I also tried the heatsink from an Opteron 165 on a Gigabyte A320M-S2H and that was scary: too much pressure. And when I tried to take it out I simply couldn't, so I had to wear one mounting protrusion to take out the heatsink's holder. I really thought I messed things up becasue there was no way to take that out of there, the pressure was very high and to take it out I had to produce even more pressure, so I feared the plastic mount or the mother or something was going to snap. Scary moment. There are differences between the two heatsink's mount parts, and the one from the Opteron seems to be narrower but sturdier compared to the one from the Freezer. BTW, I only installed the Opteron's heatsink and removed immediately after taking photos because of the pressure, so I didn't tested it, I used the Wraith Spire until I changed motherboard.
So be careful it may or may not fit.
I took some photos then:
P1200232.JPGP1200233.JPGP1200239.JPGP1200120.JPGP1210127.JPGP1200118.JPG

Sadly, I didn't tested if at least the Freezer 64 Pro was better than the Wraith Spire with vapor chamber and low noise high presure fan that came with the first Ryzens (now the Spire is an all-aluminum block with a faster straighter noisier fan). And about noise...I think the Spire is quieter. I think the Spire was going 800RPM minimum while the Freezer 64 Pro is above 1000RPM and at maximum speed the Spire went above 2000RPM while the Freezer rarely goes above 1800 RPM. The type of noise is different too. One thng about the Spire was that it kicked fast while the Freezer speeds up slowly.
If I had a better case I would have tested but is an old Cooler Master that doesn't even have cable management possibilities (and I don't have much care...), but especially doesn't have a hole behind the motherboard, so I can't remove the mount without removing the whole motherboard. If I change the case before changing processor I will try to test which one's better (I bet Freezer is a bit cooler while the spire is quieter).
Here are some more photos comparing the Spire with the old Opty cooler and one other photo:
P1200241.JPGP1200242.JPGP1200243.JPGP1200244.JPG

Last edited:
System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
Sorry didn't see your post. Yes, I'm using that one, fits perfectly with the MSI B350 Tomahawk. It only grabs the mount by one protrusion on each side, when the cooler has 3 holes each side for the S754 and s939 that had 3 or 4 protrusions. So it depends on pressure alone to stay in its place and that pressure seems to be fine. Now I also tried the heatsink from an Opteron 165 on a Gigabyte A320M-S2H and that was scary: too much pressure. And when I tried to take it out I simply couldn't, so I had to wear one mounting protrusion to take out the heatsink's holder. I really thought I messed things up becasue there was no way to take that out of there, the pressure was very high and to take it out I had to produce even more pressure, so I feared the plastic mount or the mother or something was going to snap. Scary moment. There are differences between the two heatsink's mount parts, and the one from the Opteron seems to be narrower but sturdier compared to the one from the Freezer. BTW, I only installed the Opteron's heatsink and removed immediately after taking photos because of the pressure, so I didn't tested it, I used the Wraith Spire until I changed motherboard.
So be careful it may or may not fit.
I took some photos then:
View attachment 161298View attachment 161291View attachment 161295View attachment 161293View attachment 161304View attachment 161299

Sadly, I didn't tested if at least the Freezer 64 Pro was better than the Wraith Spire with vapor chamber and low noise high presure fan that came with the first Ryzens (now the Spire is an all-aluminum block with a faster straighter noisier fan). And about noise...I think the Spire is quieter. I think the Spire was going 800RPM minimum while the Freezer 64 Pro is above 1000RPM and at maximum speed the Spire went above 2000RPM while the Freezer rarely goes above 1800 RPM. The type of noise is different too. One thng about the Spire was that it kicked fast while the Freezer speeds up slowly.
If I had a better case I would have tested but is an old Cooler Master that doesn't even have cable management possibilities (and I don't have much care...), but especially doesn't have a hole behind the motherboard, so I can't remove the mount without removing the whole motherboard. If I change the case before changing processor I will try to test which one's better (I bet Freezer is a bit cooler while the spire is quieter).
Here are some more photos comparing the Spire with the old Opty cooler and one other photo:
View attachment 161300View attachment 161301View attachment 161302View attachment 161305

I put the 10 year old Freezer 64 pro from my desk onto my sons Ryzen 3200g 4 core cpu. As you said it clips to the single claws on each side as did the old AMD stock coolers. It is rated for 130 watt Cpus and does a much better job cooling than the Wraith Stealth that my son had on the CPU appears to be 10c cooler under load. Also It does not blow down onto the Cpu and motherboard but instead blow from front to back which does not interrupt the flow of air from front to back inside the case. My son just ordered a 3700x 8 core Cpu, and I wonder which cooler will perform better the Wraith Prism or my old trusty Freezer 64 Pro. I bet the 64 pro what do you think? I think with greater heat the 64 pro will destroy the Stealth and match or beat the Prism. The 3700x is a 65 watt cpu so it should be fine either way. Also to me the Freezer is super quiet even at max speed.

Last edited:
I put the 10 year old Freezer 64 pro from my desk onto my sons Ryzen 3200g 4 core cpu. As you said it clips to the single claws on each side as did the old AMD stock coolers. It is rated for 130 watt Cpus and does a much better job cooling than the Wraith Stealth that my son had on the CPU appears to be 10c cooler under load. Also It does not blow down onto the Cpu and motherboard but instead blow from front to back which does not interrupt the flow of air from front to back inside the case. My son just ordered a 3700x 8 core Cpu, and I wonder which cooler will perform better the Wraith Prism or my old trusty Freezer 64 Pro. I bet the 64 pro what do you think? I think with greater heat the 64 pro will destroy the Stealth and match or beat the Prism. The 3700x is a 65 watt cpu so it should be fine either way. Also to me the Freezer is super quiet even at max speed.
130W? Where do you get that number? Don't tell in me box as I had it in my hands yesterday and didn't thought of reading it haha.
I would prefer it blowing to the motherboard as that would cool the VRMs better, on the other hand yes, it would not do good things to the aiflow. The freezer 64 Pro had the bottom fins pointed "downwards" to direct air to the VRMs...but given the fan is so little, I don't think they work. I want to replace it with a good 120mm fan, that will make a much beter job and make less noise (not that it makes a lot, now here in winter it doesn't go above 1300RPM with Primr95 and is inaudible, but in summer it can go up to 1900 easily, and now I'm not so sure if the Spire of this one is noisier, I think this one but...I have to test again which I doubt I will do as I'm selling this R5 1600).
I read that the Prism is close to some of the CM 212 versions, don't ask me which one. I can only guess the freezer 64 Pro is worse. Add to that that is old and, well, I don't know if true, but supposedly the heatpipes get worse with time.
I just made a short test here with the case semi-open prime95 v29.1b14 small FFTs, Ryzen oced to 3700Mhz @1.216v (according to HWiNFO64) and it got to 63ºC and the Freezer got to less than 1300RPM, room temperature is like 17ºC. Motherboard VRMs got to 66ºC.
And about my OC 3.8Ghz is the maximum stable I got, beyond that everything gets too hot and consumes a lot of power. And given the performance scaling with frecuency of this processor sucks, I don't have reason to really put any more effort to get beyond 3.7Ghz in which the consumption is reasonable and doesn't get too hot in winter. 3.6Ghz in summer.

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
On their website says 150 watt and on tech specs in another site I saw 200 watt dissipation. Old Amd and intel chips got hot as heck.
29C886F3-80C6-4368-A6C9-FE87FCB504EC.png

Attachments

• 12D84E0C-6480-4CEC-8526-F249C0DFD7B0.png
    12D84E0C-6480-4CEC-8526-F249C0DFD7B0.png
    271.7 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Old Amd and intel chips got hot as heck.

...not that much.

On their website says 150 watt and on tech specs in another site I saw 200 watt dissipation.
That's it! I'm going to buy a 3950x and use the Freezer! With OC! :D

But the 130w figure?
Oh I found this, only this is a bit newer version https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Cooling-Freezer-Pro-Cooler/dp/B000MM0LT6
And https://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Freezer-Socket-Copper-Aluminum/dp/B000CNE06K
In the last says both 115W and 130W...also one reviewer says the Phenom 6 core overclocked is too much for this one
Aah there was a review from Frostytech that I remember was one very important I read at the time of buying the Freezer, in 2006, but It seems the review page doesn't exist anymore (so much for "everything stays on the web forever"...).

Well, sure it's enough for todays low TDP non HEDT cpus even with OC.

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
For craps and giggles ran prime95 on the Arctic Cooler 64 pro and my sons Ryzen 3200g . The 3200g hits 4.0ghz on its boost has, 4 cores and is 64 watt. I ran it for about 7 minutes not to get crazy because his board is a budget board. Plus nothing will ever max out your cores 24/7 like prime will. The max it hit in a hot room with a closed case (all metal) with two 120mm fans was 65c. Seems decent to me. Granted it is not the 8 core beast he has on the way but still not bad for a very old cooler. Oh, fan was on max and still very quiet and to tell the truth the fan is small. Im really amazed at how well they designed this cooler. It is not very big compared to a lot of coolers out there.

Also If you guys remember the old Intel Prescott it got hot hot.

Last edited:
For craps and giggles ran prime95 on the Arctic Cooler 64 pro and my sons Ryzen 3200g . The 3200g hits 4.0ghz on its boost has, 4 cores and is 64 watt. I ran it for about 7 minutes not to get crazy because his board is a budget board. Plus nothing will ever max out your cores 24/7 like prime will. The max it hit in a hot room with a closed case (all metal) with two 120mm fans was 65c. Seems decent to me. Granted it is not the 8 core beast he has on the way but still not bad for a very old cooler. Oh, fan was on max and still very quiet and to tell the truth the fan is small. Im really amazed at how well they designed this cooler. It is not very big compared to a lot of coolers out there.

Also If you guys remember the old Intel Prescott it got hot hot.
-Move!-
-What are you doing dad?-
-Get out, I'm burning your computer!-
-What?! No!-
-Shut up!!-
-But I was...!-
-S T F U!!!!!!-
- :( -
-Oh yeah...yeah...burn MF BUUURRRN!!!! ...meh 65ºC, you were lucky today, boy. Next time you'll see how VRMs burn! MUAAAHAHHA!!!-

65ºC at 4Ghz is nice. Don't hesitate on showing the results with the 3700X!!!! And if you can compare with the included Prism even better!

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
-Move!-
-What are you doing dad?-
-Get out, I'm burning your computer!-
-What?! No!-
-Shut up!!-
-But I was...!-
-S T F U!!!!!!-
- :( -
-Oh yeah...yeah...burn MF BUUURRRN!!!! ...meh 65ºC, you were lucky today, boy. Next time you'll see how VRMs burn! MUAAAHAHHA!!!-

65ºC at 4Ghz is nice. Don't hesitate on showing the results with the 3700X!!!! And if you can compare with the included Prism even better!
*Duke Nukem voice* Burn baby, burn...

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
Yep almost word for word caught me in his room while he was at a small socially distant gathering. Did test the Prism cooler with his 3700x that he just bought and it hit 68 gaming all day on Rust. The Prism is a decent cooler not a big fan of the Rainbow colors that he can’t change. No more headers left. However, thats the best stock cooler I have seen in a long time. He wont let me play anymore so back to the shelf 64 pro.

Last edited:

ARF

...not that much.

That's it! I'm going to buy a 3950x and use the Freezer! With OC! :D

But the 130w figure?
Oh I found this, only this is a bit newer version https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Cooling-Freezer-Pro-Cooler/dp/B000MM0LT6
And https://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Freezer-Socket-Copper-Aluminum/dp/B000CNE06K
In the last says both 115W and 130W...also one reviewer says the Phenom 6 core overclocked is too much for this one
Aah there was a review from Frostytech that I remember was one very important I read at the time of buying the Freezer, in 2006, but It seems the review page doesn't exist anymore (so much for "everything stays on the web forever"...).

Well, sure it's enough for todays low TDP non HEDT cpus even with OC.

Yup :)

1594362531880.png

Yep almost word for word caught me in his room while he was at a small socially distant gathering. Did test the Prism cooler with his 3700x that he just bought and it hit 68 gaming all day on Rust. The Prism is a decent cooler not a big fan of the Rainbow colors that he can’t change. No more headers left. However, thats the best stock cooler I have seen in a long time. He wont let my play anymore so back to the shelf 64 pro
HAHAHA!!
That must have been awkward haha.
This is my plan for you: tell him that if he let you test you will buy him the best thermal paste out there to replace once you're finished (not the liquid metal, that thing is dangerous). Tell him this is for science!!!

Yeah, 200W... they were like "130W is very similar to 150W which is just an optimistic step to 200W...and we are optimistic! 200W!!" (ok I'll stop with the bad infantile jokes...)
Weird stuff, probably is not a figure that is simple to measure; or probably they f-up at some point with the specs...On the other hand the Freezer 13, Freezer 7, the newer Freezer 64 Pro and the older Freezer 64 Pro are almost the same cooler (and probably some other models).

ARF

HAHAHA!!
This is my plan for you: tell him that if he let you test you will buy him the best thermal paste out there to replace once you're finished (not the liquid metal, that thing is dangerous). Tell him this is for science!!!

Yeah, 200W... they were like "130W is very similar to 150W which is just an optimistic step to 200W...and we are optimistic! 200W!!" (ok I'll stop with the bad infantile jokes...)
Weird stuff, probably is not a figure that is simple to measure; or probably they f-up at some point with the specs...On the other hand the Freezer 13, Freezer 7, the newer Freezer 64 Pro and the older Freezer 64 Pro are almost the same cooler (and probably some other models).

Well, I have always wondered if there is some specific design / arrangement of the aluminum fins, so that the heatsink becomes super efficient and better than the others.
Maybe that's it:

1594408578299.png

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
I can't say I approve of the proprietary fan, but the mounting mechanism looks okay and Arctic's coolers have always been decent budget options.

Zip ties :).

HAHAHA!!

It is more about heat density transmittance. Old cpus did not have these localized heat pockets
Well, I have always wondered if there is some specific design / arrangement of the aluminum fins, so that the heatsink becomes super efficient and better than the others.
Maybe that's it:

View attachment 161816
Look at the heatpipes, they aren't crimped. Arctic and thermalright as far as I know have mastery in this heatpipe manipulation.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Maybe that's it:

View attachment 161816
Everything I owned from Arctic has been very, very quiet. They're also pretty light and usually under $50. Perfect for what I need.

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
Maybe that's it:

View attachment 161816
I like the 13 it has one more heat pipe I think than the 64 pro.

It is more about heat density transmittance. Old cpus did not have these localized heat pockets

The thing is the different figures, what is the real maximum TDP "allowed" for this cpu cooler...I even read 115Watts apart from the other 3...
This cooler has a very small contact surface anyway. And the old cpus this was designed for (S754-939) were like the new ones in which they had a die and a IHS. And not only that but the size was very similar if not almost the same.