• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Just bought a Mobo with 2 ethernet Lan ports, have a server/plex streaming question)

BrainSParker

Just bought a Gigabyte x570 Aurous Master that has 2 Lan ports.. one's a 2.5 gig, the other is gig.

it's for my main comp that I do use as a sort of server and 1080p and occasional 4k streaming platform via Plex media server for my home and a just a few select friends remotely in my city.. I do transfer large files on my home network as well, depending on which comp I am working on.. (I'm a pro audio engineer that dabbles in vid editing, etc. I have hot swap bays for Sata SSD's and 7.2krpm hdd's for audio tracking.. but I'm lazy on occasion, hehe. damn steps.

so, while my internet connection isn't superfast, all my switches and the router are gig capable..

would there be any benefit to perhaps popping another lan connection from the router into that second lan port and set up up a "teaming" setup (which I am just learning about) for extra network overhead on the so-called "server" comp with the dual lan? (it's just my 24/7 on, Win10 enterprise, home studio comp that I also do some vid editing and gaming on.. it's a media streaming device and I also use it basically as a NAS)

I mean, I know since the routers and switches are all giglan, I'd be limited to that and not the 2.5.. but would the teamed dual lan set up on the server/media streaming comp show any benefit? or is gig already pretty overkill?

I mean, there could be scenarios where I am streaming a 4k movie while transferring a large file from the same computer that's serving up the streaming, while my roommate is streaming a 1080p movie (both via plex media server) and a friend is doing the same (I limit 4k to my local network)... the two streams and file transfer would be all local network traffic, and the friends streaming would be remote over my internet connection via my ISP.. (around 100Mb/s down/up both). The comp itself is a bit of a beast, and I get gig lan is way overkill mostly already for most applications...

I'm not particularly looking for faster... but less potential for bottlenecking I guess... I don't know a ton about the finer points of networking (which I'm sure is obvious) but I do have a general idea.. I've just never bought a mobo with Two lan ports on it and it just seems, redundant. tho it is a fairly mid-high end motherboard.. so I'm just looking to see if there's a way to actually put it to some potential use, rather than just sit there.. even if it's doing this setup for avoiding a slowdown on just a very rare one or twice a year scenario, lol. otherwise, I just have an extra lan port. tho I suppose there are other uses, if you didn't have a switch or multiport router instead.. but for me, it's just gonna be a spare port unless I find some sort of use for it in the above scenario..

So, any help from someone more versed in networking would be very much appreciated...

thanks!

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Does your router support teaming? Does the LAN connections on the motherboard support teaming? Most consumer Realtek chips don't support teaming, and most consumer routers don't either.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
I'd suggest reading up on how teaming works to start with.

In most scenarios, it'll do absolutely nothing to increase the transfer speed to/from your computer.
I did some testing a few years ago and that was using an enterprise level managed switch that also supported teaming.
Only if you do large file transfer with multiple clients, will you ever see any advantage of teaming and at most, I saw something like an extra 200Mbps on my test network at the time.

I highly doubt it'll make the least bit difference in the scenario you described, as those files aren't going to to clog your Gigabit connection when you stream. You'd only potentially see an improvement in throughput if you copied a lot of large file to multiple clients.

Also keep in mind that you can't team Ethernet controllers from different manufacturers. There are some workarounds for that, but it's not worth the time it takes to set up.

The only useful thing would be for fail-over, but Ethernet controllers don't really tend to fail that often so...

So in short, no, it wouldn't make sense.

Beyond that, it's a nice board, just make sure you update the UEFI to the latest version.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
I agree with everyone else so far... no reason to do it. You're not gonna saturate that Gb connection very easily, let alone the 2.5Gb connection.

BrainSParker

awesome, Thanks for the quick replies...

yeah, before I jumped into further research, I just wanted to get an idea if I was barking up the right tree at all so I don't waste my time.. So I REALLY appreciate all the quick replies on this...

first off, yeah, I just checked and they are two different chip manufacturers on the lans.. Realtek and Intel.. so it's a no-go either way right off the bat. end of story right there, lol. The mobo arrives on Monday, so I haven't had a chance to really go over it besides looking at the specs and research.. this board is going to outlast the upgrade cycle and it's Cpu Socket, lol, it's a bit overkill really.. about twice what I normally would spend and crazy on the features.. usually I'm a bit more frugal, but I decided to splurge for just once.. and I tend to keep older parts around as secondary and tertiary systems for more than a decade or so and end up also gifting them as basic web/media comps/nas with no longer useful parts (to my current systems) for financially struggling friends and neighbors... and this board will give me overclocking options to keep it going a long time in a secondary role at least long down the line... I've been building and playing with systems since my tweens in the early 80's.. it's sometimes tough to keep up with every facet. it's a long way since 300 baud modems and bbs's, lol.. I mean, I've kept up well enough but I'm far from expert on the latest and there are gaps of course.. thank god for the internet.

I figured I may or may not of already had switches and routers that supported Teaming, I could have gotten lucky, tho this is sounding like a feature that is pretty job specific rather than usually bundled.. I certainly wasn't going to upgrade them just for it... I just like to put things to use, if they are there to be used really... even if it's just theoretical, lol. if I already had the capability that is... and I don't... so, point is moot... and looks like unless I was running a more small business type network office, my smaller set up just isn't going to tax anything.. I think I have a slightly clearer overview on Teaming just from this brief discussion and the few things I've read... even with the streaming... but I wasn't worried about upping my overall speed of a single transfer.. but better load balancing to avoid bottlenecks and slowdowns in a situation of multiple simultaneous transfer requests with the streaming and as I said, large file transfers (as I'm a pro audio engineer of 25 years who also does video editing on the side). I should just make a separate dedicated media server box, but I'm semi retired at the moment due to health issues, so my home studio comp has been seeing alot more gaming and movies these days, lol.

lol. well, who knows, maybe that second lan port'll become useful down the line...

much appreciated..

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
There's always the experience (and/or fun) gained by doing it. I often find it reason enough but others might not.

I also consider multi-homing a form of teaming, this is, having the two NICs connected with their own individual IPs. Can divvy up services such as Plex on one, FTP on another, etc; along with separate security and routing profiles. As said, you don't need this level of security or traffic shaping at home, it would just be for the knowledge :)

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I'd look at doing two things. First, just plug in the second LAN port anyway. This will allow Windows Multi-threaded TCP/IP to split the TCP/IP connections between the two ports. You'll still only get 1Gb/s on any single file transfer, but doing two can result in faster speeds as Windows will use the second port for the second transfer. I say "can" because in my experience Windows is far less than perfect in implementing this feature, I've only seen it working probably 50% of the time it should have.

The other thing you can do is get a network switch with a 2.5Gb/s or 5Gb/s port on it, and connect just that single port to the 2.5Gb/s port on your motherboard. Just that 2.5Gb/s port will be better than two 1Gb/s ports. Note that if you get a 2.5Gb/s or 5Gb/s switch you can't use Windows Multi-threaded TCP/IP, because Windows will see one link that is way faster than the other and completely ignore the slower port and only use the faster port. Multi-threaded TCP/IP only works if both ports are running at the same speed.

That switch isn't terribly expensive and actually gives 2 10Gb/s ports for future expansion. The ports will run at 1/2.5/5/10Gbps so it is a decent investment for the future.

System Name Bruh
Processor 10700K 5.3Ghz 1.35v| i7 7920HQ 3.6Ghz -180Mv |
Motherboard Z490 TUF Wifi | Apple QMS180 |
Cooling EVGA 360MM | Laptop HS |
Memory DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | LPDDR3 16GB 2133Mhz CL20 |
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix 3080 (2100Mhz/18Ghz)|Radeon Pro 560 (1150Mhz/1655Mhz)|
Storage Many SSDs, ~24TB HDD/8TB SSD
Display(s) S2719DGF, HP Z27i, Z24n| 1800P 15.4" + ZR30W + iPad Pro 10.5 2017
Case NR600 | MBP 2017 15" Silver | MSI GE62VR | Elite 120 Advanced
Audio Device(s) Lol imagine caring about audio
Power Supply 850GQ | Apple 87W USB-C |
Mouse Whatever I have on hand + trackpads (Lanchead TE)
Keyboard HyperX Origins Alloy idk
Software W10 20H2|W10 1903 LTSC/MacOS 11
Benchmark Scores No.
Unless whatever youre streaming from is teamed up or connected at more than 1Gbps, no. Regardless, the ~highest bitrate you'll really ever see with 4K is 100Mbps.