• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Halo 3 Now Available on PC via The Master Chief Collection

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
343 Industries today released a new update to its The Master Chief Collection, which includes all FPS Halo Games from Halo Reach through Halo 4 (which, in turn, covered two Xbox console releases in the original Xbox and Xbox 360). The new game, like Halo Reach, Halo: combat Evolved Anniversary, and Halo 2 Anniversary, has been ported to PC with most features one would expect. Performance-wise, the game runs pretty well, with an NVIDIA RTX 2080 Ti achieving 150+ FPS on 4K and maximum quality settings - which is to be expected considering the games' original September 2007 release, and the fact that like Halo Reach, it hasn't been remastered.

It's time to finish the fight (again). In the meantime, check after the break for some 4K screenshots of the game, which still holds up pretty well with a simple resolution increase.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
I really need to finish the other ones. Halo 4 is the last one and it's going to be out by fall.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
So the correct chronological order is Reach, 1, 2, 3, 4?

I suspect I'll be doing some kind of Halo marathon once 4's out and added to TMCC

I played 1 and some of 2, but quit after a few hours in total disgust at how awful the port was - buggy freezes and CTDs, missing features, not even true to the XBox version, crushed colour output range (16-235, not 0-255), three years late, infected with the problematic GFWL platform and DRM, locked behind a Windows Vista wall at a time when Vista was NOT in a recommendable state and those are just the specific things to the PC release. In addition to those realease-specific things it also had all of the usual console-port problems including (but not limited to) terrible performance, input lag, lack of options/customisation, godawful mouse support, auto-aim, and arbitrary limits to framerate....

I'm amazed I have any fondness for Halo at all but I did get to play the first one twice - once on a real Xbox and once again on a PC that brute-forced its way through the abysmally-performing port to PC - and it was a great game for its day.

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
Processor AMD 5800X
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Memory G.Skill 32GB
Software Windows 10
So the correct chronological order is Reach, 1, 2, 3, 4?

I suspect I'll be doing some kind of Halo marathon once 4's out and added to TMCC
I'm gonna start playing the MCC today, but I'll be playing it as they were released, so Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 3 ODST, Reach and Halo 4. Aside from the mechanics evolving over time, which would make playing Reach first kinda weird, I have no idea if there are flashbacks (flash-forwards?) etc in Reach that won't make sense unless you played the previous 4 games. Obviously I'll have to take a break after Halo 3 though, since I gotta now wait for ODST before playing Reach and Halo 4 whenever that comes out.

I started it with Reach, and there were so many bugs on launch I kind of stopped after a few missions.

Then I got into the meat of the game in the middle, WOW, I know why people like Halo. Halo Reach just gets better and better all the way to the ending.

System Name Kalima
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard RoG Strix B450-F
Cooling 6 120mm RGB case fans
Memory 4x16 (3200) Corsair Vengeance (RGB) Pro
Video Card(s) Zotac NVidia GeForce RTX2060
Storage 1x500G SSD 1x2T HDD
Display(s) 1 dell ?24"? on DP and a samsung 21" on HDMI
Case ASUS TUF GT301
Audio Device(s) Logitech G935 wireless headphones
Power Supply Thermaltake Gold 600W Rated 80+
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Win 10 (then lots of random games mostly :) )
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark time spy 7533
Now I'm curious, are there actual KB and mouse controls for Halo like with CSS etc? I have a hard time with controllers on anything requiring my rt thumb. (AKA aiming)

They actually fixed audio issues with Reach, HCEA, H2A with some Waves Audio integration, and I don't know where was the fully remastered sound from a Sound Studio. Also they fixed issues with MCC collection, honestly it is late. As Halo Reach came in 2019 and still had issues, now It's better, H3 will also probably have some bugs, I think anyone who likes the Halo series from their memories of Halo Combat Evolved on PC they should wait until Halo 3 ODST and Halo 4 also come and give them a couple of more months to fix all issues. Then we play this collection properly without any bugs (esp high refresh rate without stutters, no input lag, great audio etc), I suspect the modding community will unleash it's full potential to this, esp like Mass Effect ALOT, we will surely have upgraded textures preserving the art form and design. That will be truly exemplary Halo experience, esp for Halo 3 / ODST and Halo 4, as they won't be getting a remaster like Halo 2A. Since H3 didn't get any remaster on MCC PC.

343 ruined H4 ending, art style is fine but with Halo 5 they destroyed the series with the wahmen Cortana and other crappy elements into story they also downgraded the ESRB rating to T, to make it more MP game. I don't know how Halo Infinite (soft reboot ?) will be, if it has Flood, it must have the M rating back and no platforming or bs, but rumors are like it will be open world (disaster). Plus so far nothing on Steam (win32) platform, only Xbox game pass and UWP BS DRM.

System Name Main PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)
Cooling EKWB X570 VIII Hero Monoblock, 2x XD5, Heatkiller IV SB block for chipset,Alphacool 3090 Strix block
Memory 4x16GB 3200-14-14-14-34 G.Skill Trident RGB (OC: 3600-14-14-14-28)
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3090 Strix OC
Storage 500GB+500GB SSD RAID0, Fusion IoDrive2 1.2TB, Huawei HSSD 2TB, 11TB on server used for steam
Display(s) Dell LG CX48 (custom res: 3840x1620@120Hz) + Acer XB271HU 2560x1440@144Hz
Case Corsair 1000D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD599, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK2
Software Windows 10 Pro 20H2
Correct. But ODST falls in there somewhere.

Release order is 1, 2, 3, ODST, [Wars], Reach, 4, [Spartan Assault], [Spartan Strike], (5), [Wars 2], [Fireteam Raven (arcade game)], (Infinite)

Chronologial in-universe timeline order is [Wars], Reach, 1/[Fireteam Raven], 2/[first part of Spartan Strike], ODST, 3, [Spartan Assault] 4, [second part of Spartan Strike], (5), [Wars 2], (Infinite)

In brackets are games not included in MCC. Non-FPS games in square brackets, thse are also not in MCC.

Now I'm curious, are there actual KB and mouse controls for Halo like with CSS etc? I have a hard time with controllers on anything requiring my rt thumb. (AKA aiming)
Yeah, full m&k support for everything and it works brilliantly. You'd never think these games were ported, except for Reach and Halo 2 when you enable unlimited framerates and go above ~60.
I started it with Reach, and there were so many bugs on launch I kind of stopped after a few missions.

Then I got into the meat of the game in the middle, WOW, I know why people like Halo. Halo Reach just gets better and better all the way to the ending.
True, Reach is quite slow in the beginning, but gets a lot better over time. And at launch there were a lot of bugs that since than have been getting slowly fixed, including the patch to the awful launch-state audio with this update.

And man, wait until you get to Halo 3, that game is just so much damn fun right from the start and the entire way through. If you can gather 3 friends too it's so much fun on coop.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling PA120+T30┃AXP120x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex
Finished H3 on legendary tonight with one friend. They really need to fix the goddamn spawning; throughout the entire game, either one of us have continuously, often repeatedly experienced being spawned off a ledge when there's clearly no reason to be doing so. Reach, CE and 2 haven't ever done this at all in co-op, so I dunno wtf is going on with 3.

I will say, the difficulty of the Cortana level on legendary is unimaginable. Legendary on the original H3 didn't feel quite this difficult, for some reason. The damage dealt by and accuracy of the Stalker flood forms are fucking unreal; as soon as there are more than a handful of them transformed into their ranged forms and nowhere to hide, it sometimes can get nigh impossible to progress.

System Name Main PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)
Cooling EKWB X570 VIII Hero Monoblock, 2x XD5, Heatkiller IV SB block for chipset,Alphacool 3090 Strix block
Memory 4x16GB 3200-14-14-14-34 G.Skill Trident RGB (OC: 3600-14-14-14-28)
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3090 Strix OC
Storage 500GB+500GB SSD RAID0, Fusion IoDrive2 1.2TB, Huawei HSSD 2TB, 11TB on server used for steam
Display(s) Dell LG CX48 (custom res: 3840x1620@120Hz) + Acer XB271HU 2560x1440@144Hz
Case Corsair 1000D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD599, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK2
Software Windows 10 Pro 20H2
Finished H3 on legendary tonight with one friend. They really need to fix the goddamn spawning; throughout the entire game, either one of us have continuously, often repeatedly experienced being spawned off a ledge when there's clearly no reason to be doing so. Reach, CE and 2 haven't ever done this at all in co-op, so I dunno wtf is going on with 3.
That's a quirk of Halo 3 that's been there since the game launched originally.

I will say, the difficulty of the Cortana level on legendary is unimaginable. Legendary on the original H3 didn't feel quite this difficult, for some reason. The damage dealt by and accuracy of the Stalker flood forms are fucking unreal; as soon as there are more than a handful of them transformed into their ranged forms and nowhere to hide, it sometimes can get nigh impossible to progress.
Yeah, Cortana has and always will be one of "those" levels. Basically every Halo game has a few of "those" levels. For CE it was the Library and Two Betrayals, for Halo 2 it was... the entire game lol (nah but really Cairo Station, Outskirts and Gravemind are awful to play, and then Sacred Icon and Quarantine Zone are also pretty hard), for Halo 3 you had Cortana, for Halo Reach you had pretty much every level in the second half, Long Night of Solace is pretty much impossible solo on Legendary, Exodus can be annoying in the beginning large firefight as you have very limited health and ammo, New Alexandria can either be super easy or super hard, depending on what missions you're assigned throughout, The Package has that massive standoff at the end which can be quite difficult solo, and The Pillar of Autumn is just a slog to play through, it's super long and with a ton of heavy infantry. Halo 4 had Composer and Midnight which are semi-difficult, and 5 isn't difficult but still hard to get through because the game just simply isn't fun.

But I haven't found Halo 3 on PC to be any more difficult than the 360 original. In fact I think it's easier with the better mouse controls. I found myself breezing through most of the levels on legendary, Cortana was of course difficult but not as difficult as I remembered it to be. Contrast that to Halo 2 which was just terribly difficult, and I still haven't beaten Cairo Station on PC lol

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
That's a quirk of Halo 3 that's been there since the game launched originally.

Yeah, Cortana has and always will be one of "those" levels. Basically every Halo game has a few of "those" levels. For CE it was the Library and Two Betrayals, for Halo 2 it was... the entire game lol (nah but really Cairo Station, Outskirts and Gravemind are awful to play, and then Sacred Icon and Quarantine Zone are also pretty hard), for Halo 3 you had Cortana, for Halo Reach you had pretty much every level in the second half, Long Night of Solace is pretty much impossible solo on Legendary, Exodus can be annoying in the beginning large firefight as you have very limited health and ammo, New Alexandria can either be super easy or super hard, depending on what missions you're assigned throughout, The Package has that massive standoff at the end which can be quite difficult solo, and The Pillar of Autumn is just a slog to play through, it's super long and with a ton of heavy infantry. Halo 4 had Composer and Midnight which are semi-difficult, and 5 isn't difficult but still hard to get through because the game just simply isn't fun.

But I haven't found Halo 3 on PC to be any more difficult than the 360 original. In fact I think it's easier with the better mouse controls. I found myself breezing through most of the levels on legendary, Cortana was of course difficult but not as difficult as I remembered it to be. Contrast that to Halo 2 which was just terribly difficult, and I still haven't beaten Cairo Station on PC lol

Glad to see some Halo fans in here as well :toast:

I'll just drop some self-promotion here and say that I've completed all FPS Halo Games on Legendary, solo. Cortana likely was the toughest level to get through on that difficulty out of all the Halo games, but Halo 2 really was the worst of the worst to get through.

For anyone having difficulties, the noob combo (overcharged plasma + semi-auto weapon) is your absolute best friend. As is movement. Never stop moving unless you're facing the Flood stalkers or going through Halo 2 xD

I'm really glad this is available for PC as well and can't wait to duke it out on Halo 3, but especially, to see how Halo 4 looks. As my favorite game in the series (and for me, the one with the best art style) I'm really giddy. Opinions may vary. I just really do think Halo 4 was the series' pinnacle.

Glad to see some Halo fans in here as well :toast:

I'll just drop some self-promotion here and say that I've completed all FPS Halo Games on Legendary, solo. Cortana likely was the toughest level to get through on that difficulty out of all the Halo games, but Halo 2 really was the worst of the worst to get through.

For anyone having difficulties, the noob combo (overcharged plasma + semi-auto weapon) is your absolute best friend. As is movement. Never stop moving unless you're facing the Flood stalkers or going through Halo 2 xD

I'm really glad this is available for PC as well and can't wait to duke it out on Halo 3, but especially, to see how Halo 4 looks. As my favorite game in the series (and for me, the one with the best art style) I'm really giddy. Opinions may vary. I just really do think Halo 4 was the series' pinnacle.

So far Halo Reach's story (especially the second half, a delightful example of a game that gets better and better) has affected me the most. Halo 4 was the most polished experience for me on console. I'm REALLY looking forward to playing that one on PC.