• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel 7nm CPUs Delayed by a Year, Alder Lake in 2H-2021, Other Commentary from Intel Management

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
So based on what we are seeing here. Alder-Lake S will go against the 5nm Zen 4 Desktop CPU's (Late 2021/Early 2022)..... And the first 7nm Intel CPU's will be up against a future 5nm+ "Zen 5" chip in Late 2022/Early 2023... Yup doing good Intel. A bit later and you can play against a potential 3nm "Zen 6" chip. Keep the delays coming....

Intel won't have volume production. TSMC will probably have amazing yields as usual. Intel is gonna meltdown aside from power consumption lol

And you know this only the first delay announcement. Another will come.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
People like to talk about PCIe 4.0 technology yet its very short lived as Both AMD and Intel have PCIe 5.0 with DDR5 and USB-4 WiFi-6E 5G technology in two years.
PCIe 4.0 is only on two generations from both sides AMD and Intel.
Luckily, PCIe is backwards compatible, so it's not like it becomes obsolete.
Also PCIe 5.0 will be very expensive and might be a premium feature for a while.

Not sure why would anyone buy Intel H5 LGA 1200 socket when we all know that H6 LGA 1700 socket is coming, at the same time as AMD has AM5 coming!
CPU upgrades are really only relevant if a platform offers compatibility for 3-4 years, and AM4 has shown us that it only sort of works with some major compromises.

It's much more important that a platform properly supports its CPUs and works from "day one". The Zen(1) launch was horrible in terms of BIOS support(inc. memory, PCIe stability etc.), Zen 2 a lot better, yet had BIOS issues and firmware issues for 2-3 months. I will be watching Zen 3 closely to see if it's more mature at launch, I can't recommend any platform until it's fairly reliable.

Of course it's an exaggeration to say so, but given the size of the company and how much money they have they could've done much more, AMD should've never been able to catch up, they were basically broke. Intel locked us with stupid 4 cores for ages, the Ryzen 1700 destroys Intel's 4 cores besides games that were made around Intel's architecture (hopefully this will change now, and we'll have games optimised for both platforms).
That's why at least some say so.
No game is "made around Intel's architecture". It's not possible to target the microarchitecture in x86 code.
And no, the Skylake family does very well in tasks including Photoshop, Premiere, web browsing etc.

And for your information, back when Skylake launched there were indication that it would move to 6-core for mainstream, but the yields for 14nm were still not good enough. Engineering samples of Cannon-Lake-S, which were targeted for late 2016/early 2017, featured 8 cores. So it's the struggles (incompetence?) with Intel's nodes which have kept them at 4-cores, not lack of ambition or "evil" plans to keep you at 4 cores.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Does anyone thing that Intel made Alderlake for Apple, who basically turned around and said "piss off, we're doing the chips ourselves now" to Intel, leaving them with a product that no desktop maker wants, on a process that no laptop maker wants either?

I'm just spitballing but Intel certainly isn't after the consumer performance crown or value crown with Alderlake parts, and they're not exactly server-grade either....

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Does anyone thing that Intel made Alderlake for Apple, who basically turned around and said "piss off, we're doing the chips ourselves now" to Intel, leaving them with a product that no desktop maker wants, on a process that no laptop maker wants either?

I'm just spitballing but Intel certainly isn't after the consumer performance crown or value crown with Alderlake parts, and they're not exactly server-grade either....
Nope. Can't say I believe that.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

People overestimate Apple. Company is indeed big but in volume its not unique at all.

The problem with the 7nm delay is Aurora, IMO. Intel already got a reprieve once, if they screw it up again, do they finally lose the contract? Will AMD snatch all three Exaflop contracts in the US?

This was my Initial thought as well, there is a lot riding on Aurora, seemed very aggressive the performance they were touting as well as the timeline. Huge kick in the teeth in Intel loses that contract.

Will be interesting to see where we are in 5 years. Lisa has been at AMD for 5 years and made very strategic moves to outmaneuver the giant. Having Nvidia pushing performance aggressively on the GPU front, they took that same formula to the CPU side and look where we are!

ARF

I do not understand the popular opinion that Intel does nothing. They absolutely do a lot of things.
We are all disappointed that they are failing to bring out proper competition to AMD Ryzens but come on.

After Sandy Bridge they did 22nm and 14nm manufacturing processes, arguably the 10nm process and 7nm is somewhere in the pipeline.
In terms of CPUs, AVX2, extending execution resources and caches, adding new tech as it comes along etc. And Ice Lake has even more substantial changes than that. Current Comet Lake (which is a rehashed Skylake from 2015) is ~25% faster than Sandy Bridge with single core load at the same clock. Ice Lake is a good step faster than that, Intel's 18% has been verified to be true enough.

This is just mainline CPUs. There is the Atom line that Intel seems to be getting back to with Tremont. There is XPoint with hopefully new gen coming out at one point.
Plus there are a bunch of other things Intel does with varying degrees of success - NAND Flash and controllers, FPGAs come to mind. Packaging technologies like EMIB or Foveros. Mobile modems and 5G is something they failed at.

What's disappointing is that many OEM users still sit on old technology by Intel - 4c/8t or 6c/6t or 8c/8t in brand new PCs, instead of having the much superior/faster/more energy efficient/more secure and cheaper AMD competitive products. This is not only disturbing but also scary.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
What's disappointing is that many OEM users still sit on old technology by Intel - 4c/8t or 6c/6t or 8c/8t in brand new PCs, instead of having the much superior/faster/more energy efficient/more secure and cheaper AMD competitive products. This is not only disturbing but also scary.

I thought brand new laptops were supposed to get shit battery life? They're too dumb to know their ass from a hole in the ground.

That explains most stuff in the world.

System Name Alucard
Processor M2 Pro 14"
Motherboard Apple thingy all together
Cooling no Need
Memory 32 Shared Memory
Video Card(s) 30 units
Storage 1 TB
Display(s) Acer 2k 170Hz, Benq 4k HDR
Mouse Logictech M3
Keyboard Logictech M3
Software MacOs / Ubuntu
Funny that OEMs will have to start pushing AMD models in the market, as the premium optrions, because Intel CPUs are going to become non competitive in a year.

Now we also know why Apple chose this time to switch to ARM.

On the other hand, Zen 3 will be ultra expensive to avoid pushing Intel to drop prices.

tuxedocomputers guys have good setups, and they also promote Linux, I wanna get the 4800 but I wanted a dedicated graphics card, still not an option, on the other hand its pretty cool
I saw another store also, only the big OEM's like Dell still resisting, I would also like to see Dell XP15 with 4 series AMD Cpu.

ARF

I thought brand new laptops were supposed to get shit battery life? They're too dumb to know their ass from a hole in the ground.

That explains most stuff in the world.

Do you honestly think that I understood anything from your post? :(

The only thing that I did is about the battery life - AMD's U-series with 8c/16t should be great both with ultra high performance and ultra durable battery life.

What explains most of the world stuff? Presence of corruption among the humans?

System Name Custom Built
Processor Intel 10700
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M-DS3H Rev 1.0
Cooling Arctic Freezer 7X, 120MM exhaust, 120MM x 3 Intake
Memory GSkill 32GB DDR4 2666mhz
Video Card(s) Evga Geforce 1660 Super
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB M.2 Boot Drive, and Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, Western Digital Black 4TB
Display(s) Asus VG249Q1R
Case Thermaltake V200 RGB
Audio Device(s) Onboard audio, and Logitech Pro X Wired Headset & Monitor Speakers
Power Supply EVGA G3 650 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 X
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Windows 11Pro x64 22621.1848, Windows Defender, Malwarebytes 4.5.32
Used AMD for many many years, after experiencing performance issues in 2016 with my new to me AMD FX 8310 system that a friend gave me to replace my acting up AMD Athlon 64 system, so happily used it, dealt with the driver issues i've had at times, and tried to get the best performance i could with the hardware had then.

Suddenly Came across money in August 2017, so made decision at that time to go with a higher end Intel System as friends in games was saying to purchase an Intel based build, so i was like ok guess will, been a long time since i was on Intel/nvidia setup, used that to started having overheating problems til June 2020, and local PC shop gave me a sweet deal for a newer Intel 10th Gen 10700, board, and case (and reuse some of the older hardware from old system)

Will i stay on Intel years from now, not sure, i just may Try AMD in a 3-5 years again perhaps, depending on whats on by then and such.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
Do you honestly think that I understood anything from your post? :(

The only thing that I did is about the battery life - AMD's U-series with 8c/16t should be great both with ultra high performance and ultra durable battery life.

What explains most of the world stuff? Presence of corruption among the humans?

It's a common phrase in the US meaning they're stupid AF. So, yes, most people are stupid is the source of problems.

Mouse Razer Abyssus
Software Ubuntu
Let's not get too philosophical here :)

Alder Lake with its hybrid technology doesn't excite me, I believe it doesn't belong on the desktop. While Rocket Lake might be a decent "stop gap" for the mainstream desktop, I think most is missing the most interesting piece of the puzzle. Ice Lake-X will be a very interesting contender against Zen 3 based Ryzen 9 and Threadrippers. And while it probably can't get close to the highest core count of Threadripper, most power users are looking for a balance between core count and core speed, while having good IO options. Many such users are doing either photo or video editing or development on the same machine as gaming, and I think there are many such users in our audience here. I believe it would be a mistake by AMD if their next Threadrippers start at 24 cores, I think 12-16 core HEDT models would be compelling to many buyers. This is a segment I want more competition; high core speed and "medium" core count, plenty of IO.

System Name Coffeelake the Zen Destroyer
Processor 8700K @5.1GHz
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X FORMULA
Cooling Cooled by EK
Memory RGB DDR4 4133MHz CL17-17-17-37
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti to future GTX 1180Ti
Storage SAMSUNG 960 PRO 512GB
Display(s) ASUS ROG SWIFT PG27VQ to ROG SWIFT PG35VQ
Case Cooler Master HAF X Nvidia Edition
Audio Device(s) Logitech
Power Supply COOLER MASTER 1KW Gold
Mouse LOGITECH Gaming
Keyboard Logitech Gaming
Software MICROSOFT Redstone 4
Benchmark Scores Cine Bench 15 single performance 222
Let's not get too philosophical here :)

Alder Lake with its hybrid technology doesn't excite me, I believe it doesn't belong on the desktop. While Rocket Lake might be a decent "stop gap" for the mainstream desktop, I think most is missing the most interesting piece of the puzzle. Ice Lake-X will be a very interesting contender against Zen 3 based Ryzen 9 and Threadrippers. And while it probably can't get close to the highest core count of Threadripper, most power users are looking for a balance between core count and core speed, while having good IO options. Many such users are doing either photo or video editing or development on the same machine as gaming, and I think there are many such users in our audience here. I believe it would be a mistake by AMD if their next Threadrippers start at 24 cores, I think 12-16 core HEDT models would be compelling to many buyers. This is a segment I want more competition; high core speed and "medium" core count, plenty of IO.

Intel 13th generation 16 Cores (7nm+) Meteor Lake Lake with Ocean Cove cores design.

I rather energy efficient with extreme IPC (80+ over 10th Gen) 16 cores ( 7nm+ & big.Little)

Intel new Fab42 is 7nm from the start, everyone is waiting for Meteor Lake Intel first 7nm+ & PCIe 5.0 basically its the rebirth of the great Ivy Bridge (3770K) Intel first 22nm & PCIe 3.0

All eyes are watching Intel 7nm very closely

Intel Alder Lake 10nm++ will be just as good as Sandy Bridge was all around quality.

Intel 10nm++ will be used to make Intel 700 series chipsets as well.

rgrooms

They're still remaining competitive with the 14nm+++++ refinements...if it wasn't for that they would be looking at big trouble. With Ryzen 3rd gen coming up at the end of year and rumors that it will be much improved over 2nd gen could really push for the gaming crown...they are already killing it with the productivity side of it.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
They're still remaining competitive with the 14nm+++++ refinements...if it wasn't for that they would be looking at big trouble. With Ryzen 3rd gen coming up at the end of year and rumors that it will be much improved over 2nd gen could really push for the gaming crown...they are already killing it with the productivity side of it.

Double and triple power consumption on mobile (and still lower perf) is not competitive. That's where the majority of consumer sales are. People are just braindead.

rgrooms

Double and triple power consumption on mobile (and still lower perf) is not competitive. That's where the majority of consumer sales are. People are just braindead.
I'm not sure about that lower performance with the Renoir 4000 chips coming up...the majority of consumer sales well I don't know, the desktop market is pretty strong too. Not a big fan of the mobile market anyway...never have been, overpriced and hardly upgradeable.

Mouse Razer Abyssus
Software Ubuntu
They're still remaining competitive with the 14nm+++++ refinements...if it wasn't for that they would be looking at big trouble.
There are no 14nm nodes beyond 14nm++. The "+" refers to node iterations, not chip designs, and means they have changed the node parameters such as gate pitch, metal compositions etc.
Intel has improved designs beyond the node, such as changing TIM, modifying the heat spreader and of course optimizing the chip design.

With Ryzen 3rd gen coming up at the end of year and rumors that it will be much improved over 2nd gen could really push for the gaming crown...they are already killing it with the productivity side of it.
Zen 3 will probably be closer to Intel in gaming performance, but to beat it they need to make a better CPU front-end than Intel and get similar or better memory latency.

D

Deleted member 185088

Luckily, PCIe is backwards compatible, so it's not like it becomes obsolete.
Also PCIe 5.0 will be very expensive and might be a premium feature for a while.

CPU upgrades are really only relevant if a platform offers compatibility for 3-4 years, and AM4 has shown us that it only sort of works with some major compromises.

It's much more important that a platform properly supports its CPUs and works from "day one". The Zen(1) launch was horrible in terms of BIOS support(inc. memory, PCIe stability etc.), Zen 2 a lot better, yet had BIOS issues and firmware issues for 2-3 months. I will be watching Zen 3 closely to see if it's more mature at launch, I can't recommend any platform until it's fairly reliable.

No game is "made around Intel's architecture". It's not possible to target the microarchitecture in x86 code.
And no, the Skylake family does very well in tasks including Photoshop, Premiere, web browsing etc.

And for your information, back when Skylake launched there were indication that it would move to 6-core for mainstream, but the yields for 14nm were still not good enough. Engineering samples of Cannon-Lake-S, which were targeted for late 2016/early 2017, featured 8 cores. So it's the struggles (incompetence?) with Intel's nodes which have kept them at 4-cores, not lack of ambition or "evil" plans to keep you at 4 cores.
That proves my point, different applications favour different architecture, how else would you explain that Zen2 is faster in Cinebench both in single and multi core, while it loses in Photoshop, the same goes for decompression in 7zip.
I don't buy the argument that they wanted but couldn't, partially yes but not completely, weirdly in the recent "generations" suddenly they were able to add more cores.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Zen 3 will probably be closer to Intel in gaming performance, but to beat it they need to make a better CPU front-end than Intel and get similar or better memory latency.
Thing is, do they need to beat Intel in gaming performance? Outside of contrived 2080Ti 720p testing specifically designed to move the gaming bottleneck away from the GPU or playing CS:GO at low details on a 300Hz monitor, AMD's gaming performance is rarely, if ever, low enough to be a significant factor.

Realistically, the more cores your CPU has, the more chance there is of a stable framerate since background OS tasks, and even background game-engine threads are likely to be finished sooner and without interrupting or causing any kind of resource conflict with the ultra-crucial game-engine thread that is the current bottleneck to lower frame times. That's felt in the minimum or 99th percentile numbers.

Can a 4GHz Zen2 core provide the very fastest gaming performance on the market? No. It's genuinely worse at the job than Intel's current lineup.
Can a 4GHz Zen2 core run a gaming thread fast enough that in 99.9% of all situations it doesn't matter? Absolutely.

I'm not going to say no to more gaming performance, but we do have to remember how unrealistic and unrepresentative of actual gaming the CPU game testing methodologies are. Nobody, and I mean nobody dropping $3000+ on a water-cooled, overclocked i9 with a 240Hz+ monitor and 2080Ti is playing games at 720p.

Mouse Razer Abyssus
Software Ubuntu
That proves my point, different applications favour different architecture, how else would you explain that Zen2 is faster in Cinebench both in single and multi core, while it loses in Photoshop, the same goes for decompression in 7zip.
What specifically proves your point?

If you think that because a piece of software performs better on one CPU than another, it proves it's optimized for that CPU? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
In order for software to be optimized for a piece of hardware it needs to be intentionally designed to utilize either a specific feature or a specific characteristic of that hardware.

PC software relies on the same ISA whether it's running on AMD or Intel. And with the exception of AVX-512 and a few other features, Zen and Skylake has pretty much feature parity. All modern x86 designs relies on microoperations which we can't target, so we can't write truely low-level code for either of these architectures. These CPUs are also highly superscalar, but it's not explicit, so software can't control or optimize for it directly.

Software scales differently on different CPUs because their architectures have different strengths in terms of resource balancing. Skylake has a stronger front-end with better branch prediction and has a larger instruction window, it has lower latency in the memory controller and there are some differences in the caches. Zen/Zen2 have a different configuration of execution ports which can have a slightly higher peak combined int/vec performance under the right conditions. Zen 2 is also on a more energy efficient node, which helps a lot under those heavily threaded benchmarks where Skylake throttle much more, but this has nothing to do with software optimization. So the the only thing software developers can do to "optimize" for one microarchitecture or the other is to shuffle around the assembly code and see if they get a minor performance difference. Since they are not explicitly superscalar, executes out-of-order and we can't control or debug the microoperations, this is pretty much a pointless effort that probably yields <5% gains, and the gains will not be consistent. Pretty much no software, and especially games, do low-level assembly code anyway. Software today is mostly high-level bloated code, and such code generally performs a tiny bit better on Intel hardware, not due to optimizations (rather lack thereof), but due to a stronger front-end.

There is no software out there "optimized for Intel" (unless you count custom software relying on features AMD have not implemented yet).
But I've seen a case where a library intentionally runs slower code on AMD hardware in runtime, but this is not optimization, this is sabotage, and is not playing fair.

Thing is, do they need to beat Intel in gaming performance?
No, they need to be close enough, and with Zen 3 they might be within the margin of error in many cases.

I'm not going to say no to more gaming performance, but we do have to remember how unrealistic and unrepresentative of actual gaming the CPU game testing methodologies are. Nobody, and I mean nobody dropping $3000+ on a water-cooled, overclocked i9 with a 240Hz+ monitor and 2080Ti is playing games at 720p.
I know 720p or 1080p at low or medium is pointless with an high-end card, that's only interesting for "academic discussions", not buying recommendations.

But then consider, if you're buying a gaming machine, and there are two mostly "equal" options in your budget, while one has ~3% more gaming performance, would you say no to it?
Another argument which most ignores is that Zen 2 (for now) needs overclocked memory to become "competitive" in gaming, while Intel can run stock memory speeds and still perform better. I'll take the long-term stability please.

Realistically, the more cores your CPU has, the more chance there is of a stable framerate since background OS tasks, and even background game-engine threads are likely to be finished sooner and without interrupting or causing any kind of resource conflict with the ultra-crucial game-engine thread that is the current bottleneck to lower frame times. That's felt in the minimum or 99th percentile numbers.
Sure, any time the OS scheduler kicks out any of the game's threads, it can cause stutter, at the scale of ~1-20ms for Windows. But then again, a faster core will finish sooner, so other threads waiting for it will get working earlier and finish with a larger margin before the "deadline". So it's a complicated balancing act.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
4, 6 and 8 cores are still all valid choices in mainstream. 12 and 16 cores are now viable but still niche. These OEM products you mention are not marketed or meant for enthusiasts or workstation-like uses where many cores help.
You are looking at it from the wrong side. 10900K vs 3900X/3950X is the wrong comparison to look at. Unless game is very thread-limited - and today, 6c/12t is plenty - something like 10400 is going to be as fast or faster than any Ryzen and 10600K is going to glow past them, more so when overclocked.

ARF

4, 6 and 8 cores are still all valid choices in mainstream. 12 and 16 cores are now viable but still niche. These OEM products you mention are not marketed or meant for enthusiasts or workstation-like uses where many cores help.

It's not. The Ryzen 7 4800U is 85% faster than Core i5-8500, while drawing 23% of its power.
Core i5-8500 is not a valid choice. It's a turd.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
It's not. The Ryzen 7 4800U is 85% faster than Core i5-8500, while drawing 23% of its power.
Core i5-8500 is not a valid choice. It's a turd.
That is a very strange comparison. State of the art high-end low-power CPU vs a two-year old midrange desktop CPU.
2 more cores and 10 more threads is a big deal. Both chips are also the same size while 7nm is 70% denser, so about 70% more transistors in 4800U.
Desktop CPUs are not at their point of power efficiency and to be honest, neither is 4800U - it is pretty heavily constrained by its power limit (which pretty much never seems to be 15W).

At least choose an apt comparison - 4800U should be able to convincingly beat 1065G7 or 10810U.

ARF

That is a very strange comparison. State of the art high-end low-power CPU vs a two-year old midrange desktop CPU.
2 more cores and 10 more threads is a big deal. Both chips are also the same size while 7nm is 70% denser, so about 70% more transistors in 4800U.
Desktop CPUs are not at their point of power efficiency and to be honest, neither is 4800U - it is pretty heavily constrained by its power limit (which pretty much never seems to be 15W).

At least choose an apt comparison - 4800U should be able to convincingly beat 1065G7 or 10810U as well.

My question is. Why the likes of HP still ship this 2-year-old midrange desktop CPU in brand new office PCs? Why don't they use lower power state-of-the-art CPUs in their machines ?