• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CES 2021 Cancelled, Online Virtual Expo in the Offing

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
The 2021 edition of the International CES has been cancelled, organizers CTA announced. The 2021 edition, like almost every other edition, was scheduled to take place between January 6-9, 2021. The CTA will now work to set up an "all digital experience" working with all its exhibitors. The show is now expected to only make a comeback in 2022, provided the COVID-19 situation improves. The pandemic still wreaks havoc across the globe, with most nations experiencing community spread. Mass vaccination before the turn of the year seems unlikely, with most vaccine developers yet to test their vaccine candidates.

"Amid the pandemic and growing global health concerns about the spread of COVID-19, it's just not possible to safely convene tens of thousands of people in Las Vegas in early January 2021 to meet and do business in person," CTA president and CEO Gary Shapiro said in a statement. Despite fears of the pandemic looming on exhibitors' and visitors' minds, the 2020 edition of CES drew more than 170,000 visitors and over 4,400 exhibitors (that's just for the official exhibitors, not counting the many more exhibiting in nearby locations).

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Samsung Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Home 64
Loss of these events means loss of revenue for local businesses that thrived during them and welcomed them.

Local businesses that have grown accustomed to the business and rely on it, they'll start to vanish. Loss of jobs and income.

System Name Red 101
Processor 9th Gen Intel Core i9-9900k
Motherboard EVGA Z370 Classified
Cooling Custom Primochill and Heatkiller water cooling loop
Memory 16GB of Gskill 3200Mhz CL14
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 with Heatkiller block @2114Mhz
Storage 4- Samsung Evo 250GB, 1- Pro 512GB and 1-512GB M.2
Display(s) LG 38" UW
Case In Win 101 customized a lot and painted red
Audio Device(s) Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma
Power Supply EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Razer DeathAdderv2
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Win10Pro and games
Benchmark Scores NA
it is virtual for me every year. LOL

not sure how you can turn an event like this into a "virtual event" they going to send you all the hardware to look at in person?

Wow, they're canceling it really early. We still have more than 5 months until the next CES should be. I guess the US has some more problems with Covid, but still...

Covid won't be stopped. Herd immunity will eventually be the answer to it. You can't stop it anymore unless by some miracle vaccines against Coronaviruses are invented, which have been tried for many years before Covid and never worked. So I wouldn't hold my breath. It will just be herd immunity like we have with most other diseases.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Ah poor people in Vegas, even more revenue lost :(

and I really enjoyed the years I went to CES .. Computex is better though, so fingers crossed for 2021 Computex ^^

It will just be herd immunity like we have with most other diseases.
Like for the flu.. also, only early data, but Google: antibodies 3 months

Wow, they're canceling it really early
Good, rather make the final decision now, than invest $$ and it gets cancelled eventually. Actually I'm impressed that CTA aren't as greedy as everyone though they are

all digital experience
I think a few companies tried something like this in June, as Computex replacement, total disaster

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Wow, they're canceling it really early. We still have more than 5 months until the next CES should be. I guess the US has some more problems with Covid, but still...

Covid won't be stopped. Herd immunity will eventually be the answer to it. You can't stop it anymore unless by some miracle vaccines against Coronaviruses are invented, which have been tried for many years before Covid and never worked. So I wouldn't hold my breath. It will just be herd immunity like we have with most other diseases.

Covid won't be stopped but will become easier to treat. We don't stop a lot of viruses, that's fine. Its about managing them, right now it seems that puzzle is far from complete. Patients are left with all sorts of mid to long term problems, even scars on the heart which can induce future heart rhythm failures. And that is just one of our organs.

Early on the prediction was several years before we would understand it proper. I think that prediction still stands. Herd immunity will be seasonal at best, and even that seems a stretch, its summer now.

Processor AMD 1700X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Memory F4-3200C14D-16GFX
Video Card(s) GTX 1070
Storage 960 Pro
Display(s) PG279Q
Case HAF X
Power Supply Silencer MK III 850
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
There isn't going to be herd immunity to covid19 if antibodies are dwindling in 4-8 weeks as has been found. It just has to be managed as even vaccines are only partially effective and that is if people even trust a rush job.

I don't obviously mean full immunity. But the problem will go away when the people die out that are most susceptible to this disease. The Flu wiped out whole populations when it first started infecting people. Now even if you get it, most will do just fine because people now have stronger immune systems against it in general through pretty much natural selection. Which is a kind of herd immunity. It doesn't mean that the flu is less dangerous than before.

So if it's not going to totally go away, it will be around just like the flu. Does this mean we all have to stop interacting and start canceling all big events? I know it sounds harsh to say let certain people to just die out, but this is how these things always went and it's not going to change now, unless we all stay home forever and cancel everything, which is kind of the direction it's going now.

Btw. I'm not against things like masks for a period just to flatten the curve for the hospitals. I even think we should have mandatory periods like that for everybody whenever we're above a certain number of infections (above hospital capacity, basically). But anything that goes beyond that like canceling events is not going to change things in the long run. It's wishful thinking at best, fearmongering at worst.

Last edited:
System Name Daves
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard AsRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Enermax LIQMAX III 360
Memory 32 GiG Team Group B Die 3600
Video Card(s) Powercolor 5700 xt Red Devil
Storage Crucial MX 500 SSD and Intel P660 NVME 2TB for games
Display(s) Acer 144htz 27in. 2560x1440
Case Phanteks P600S
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Corsair RM 750
Mouse EVGA
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Windows 10 Pro
We will all be dead by then..

Not only that - Sweden's national experiment that has costed them 5x as much lives as all other Scandinavian contries combined has shown that even there less than 10% of people had immunity. Coupled with the immunity lasting a short period and all talks of some sort of herd immunity are pure BS.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I don't obviously mean full immunity. But the problem will go away when the people die out that are most susceptible to this disease. The Flu wiped out whole populations when it first started infecting people. Now even if you get it, most will do just fine because people now have stronger immune systems against it in general through pretty much natural selection. Which is a kind of herd immunity. It doesn't mean that the flu is less dangerous than before.

So if it's not going to totally go away, it will be around just like the flu. Does this mean we all have to stop interacting and start canceling all big events? I know it sounds harsh to say let certain people to just die out, but this is how these things always went and it's not going to change now, unless we all stay home forever and cancel everything, which is kind of the direction it's going now.

Btw. I'm not against things like masks for a period just to flatten the curve for the hospitals. I even think we should have mandatory periods like that for everybody whenever we're above a certain number of infections (above hospital capacity, basically). But anything that goes beyond that like canceling events is not going to change things in the long run. It's wishful thinking at best, fearmongering at worst.

I get what you're saying and feel much the same way about it. But this is not much like the flu in every other way than it being a virus, too with temporary antibody counters. The ramifications of getting it are long lasting, whereas with the flu, you just feel better at some point. Chronic lack of energy for prolonged periods of time and several forms of organ damage are lasting effects. So its not just the weak that die, its the entire population, young AND old that will take a major hit to general health and therefore future prosperity. Lost generation, or even generations is what we're looking at. The more this virus can infect, the bigger the impact, which is a global increase in healthcare requirements along with a reduction in capable workforce.

So at this point in time, cancelling events is most certainly the better option, and will remain so going forward in the near future. It really is a lot better to avoid this virus if you have the opportunity. For me personally the limit to that prevention is when it has psychological impact in the sense of social needs. Mass events are not among those needs, to me, but that is different for everyone. Still, things to consider, its good to be realistic about it, but I would suggest not to underestimate it.

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
So not actually cancelled, just moved to a different venue.

System Name ATLAS
Processor Intel Core i7-4770 (4C/8T) Haswell
Motherboard GA-Z87X-UD5H , Dual Intel LAN, 10x SATA, 16x Power phace.
Cooling ProlimaTech Armageddon - Dual GELID 140 Silent PWM
Memory Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2400 997123F 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX1060 OC 6GB (single fan) Micron
Storage WD Raptors 73Gb - Raid1 10.000rpm
Display(s) DELL U2311H
Case HEC Compucase CI-6919 Full tower (2003) moded .. hec-group.com.tw
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Music + mods, Audigy front Panel - YAMAHA quad speakers with Sub.
Power Supply HPU-4M780-PE refurbished 23-3-2022
Mouse MS Pro IntelliMouse 16.000 Dpi Pixart Paw 3389
Keyboard Microsoft Wired 600
Software Win 7 Pro x64 ( Retail Box ) for EU
Loss of these events means loss of revenue for local businesses that thrived during them and welcomed them.

Local businesses that have grown accustomed to the business and rely on it, they'll start to vanish. Loss of jobs and income.

The ones trading Pop-corn and hotels ?

Either way even CES it has to adjust as we do all worldwide.
Consumers wallets are half empty, and even finding food these days this is is tough goal.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
I'm really going to miss CES/Vegas... one of my favorite places to be. It's a grind for most media going from hotel to hotel to meet as many contacts as possible, but damn is it a blast!

I get what you're saying and feel much the same way about it. But this is not much like the flu in every other way than it being a virus, too with temporary antibody counters. The ramifications of getting it are long lasting, whereas with the flu, you just feel better at some point. Chronic lack of energy for prolonged periods of time and several forms of organ damage are lasting effects. So its not just the weak that die, its the entire population, young AND old that will take a major hit to general health and therefore future prosperity. Lost generation, or even generations is what we're looking at. The more this virus can infect, the bigger the impact, which is a global increase in healthcare requirements along with a reduction in capable workforce.

So at this point in time, cancelling events is most certainly the better option, and will remain so going forward in the near future. It really is a lot better to avoid this virus if you have the opportunity. For me personally the limit to that prevention is when it has psychological impact in the sense of social needs. Mass events are not among those needs, to me, but that is different for everyone. Still, things to consider, its good to be realistic about it, but I would suggest not to underestimate it.
Thanks for the balanced answer and I'm with you on most everything you said.

There's just the thing that all people don't seem to have the same ramifications from getting it. I doubt that all people get long-lasting damage if many don't even get symptoms. From what I understand, the long-lasting damage comes only when you get a bad lung infection from it. I guess getting a lung infection is never good, but yea, Covid make you more susceptible to that. And the people that die, die because of the severe lung infections when the body can't deal with it anymore. But people's bodies seem to handle it very differently. That's why herd "immunity" will eventually help us, even if canceling events for years to come won't. I don't doubt we will beat Covid eventually, I just doubt that it will cost any fewer lives in the long run, if we overreact.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
.... people's bodies seem to handle it very differently. That's why herd "immunity" will eventually help us...
By killing the frail, and aged, and leaving only the strong?
Such empathy, much caring.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
By killing the frail, and aged, and leaving only the strong?
Such empathy, much caring.

Such is the way of evolution though as it has been. And let's be honest, the current path of what evolves in our society isn't exactly beneficial in a greater sense. We're sheltering the weak and nurturing stupid right now. Literacy and overall quality of life is actually going down in the Western and some other developed countries. Division of wealth is rapidly spiralling out of control. There's too many of us and no outlook on that changing.

A correction is in order, if you ask me, and this virus is the perfect equalizer. I'll take this method over a few nukes, honestly. But this is a discussion far too few are willing to go into, even though we should. We'd rather persist in preserving a status quo we can never maintain, like Lemmings. If we keep doing this, protecting every life while damaging all others with long term restrictions on normal life, we'll be having entire lost generations all to preserve a few life years of the elderly. That'll be fun for future healthcare, I'm sure :) I do wonder who is truly thinking straight these days and what the scope of policy really is, but so far, I'm not seeing any kind of future investment in any of it, only fear and doubt, and mostly a fear to lose a very loyal group of voters. This so called empathy today is the grim reaper of tomorrow.

Last edited:
System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
Such is the way of evolution though as it has been. And let's be honest, the current path of what evolves in our society isn't exactly beneficial in a greater sense. We're sheltering the weak and nurturing stupid right now. Literacy and overall quality of life is actually going down in the Western and some other developed countries. Division of wealth is rapidly spiralling out of control. There's too many of us and no outlook on that changing.

A correction is in order, if you ask me, and this virus is the perfect equalizer. I'll take this method over a few nukes, honestly. But this is a discussion far too few are willing to go into, even though we should. We'd rather persist in preserving a status quo we can never maintain, like Lemmings. If we keep doing this, protecting every life while damaging all others with long term restrictions on normal life, we'll be having entire lost generations all to preserve a few life years of the elderly. That'll be fun for future healthcare, I'm sure :) I do wonder who is truly thinking straight these days and what the scope of policy really is, but so far, I'm not seeing any kind of future investment in any of it, only fear and doubt, and mostly a fear to lose a very loyal group of voters. This so called empathy today is the grim reaper of tomorrow.
A conversation most people aren’t willing to have because most people aren’t nihilistic eco-fascists. There are solutions to every problem you outline that don’t involve millions of deaths, and certainly we’d have the capacity for growing populations if society organized around these issues instead of ignoring them.

Personally I combat nihilism by saying hello to strangers and carefully managing my news consumption. Best of luck staying alive!

Processor E5-1680 V2
Motherboard Rampage IV black
Video Card(s) Asrock 7900 xtx
Storage 500 gb sd
Software windows 10 64 bit
Benchmark Scores 29,433 3dmark06 score
So you can't make a joke about a chimp, but you can call someone a nihilist eco-fascist...got it.

Processor E5-1680 V2
Motherboard Rampage IV black
Video Card(s) Asrock 7900 xtx
Storage 500 gb sd
Software windows 10 64 bit
Benchmark Scores 29,433 3dmark06 score
This thread is about CES.. there are threads for discussing the Pandemic... maybe use those for that. ;)

Technically you're right but wrong at the same time, it's about CES yes, but why is it cancelled? COVID 19...and the story mentions COVID 19/pandemic more times than it mentions CES. You can't divorce COVID 19 conversation from the story.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
Technically you're right but wrong at the same time, it's about CES yes, but why is it cancelled? COVID 19...and the story mentions COVID 19/pandemic more times than it mentions CES. You can't divorce COVID 19 conversation from the story.
Yes, the story does mention COVID-19 as the primary cause for cancelling CES. However, getting into far-reaching discussions about monkeys, nihilism, and the details of the effects of the pandemic on the world at large are not germane. Stick to the primary topic, please, everyone. It's a highly pertinent topic that affects 99% of the users in the forums here, and I'm sure there are some useful opinions and input from most, so let's not get it locked up. thanks!