• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Ice Lake-SP Processors Get Benchmarked Against AMD EPYC Rome

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
Intel is preparing to launch its next-generation for server processors and the next in line is the Ice Lake-SP 10 nm CPU. Featuring a Golden Cove CPU and up to 28 cores, the CPU is set to bring big improvements over the past generation of server products called Cascade Lake. Today, thanks to the sharp eye of TUM_APISAK, we have a new benchmark of the Ice Lake-SP platform, which is compared to AMD's EPYC Rome offerings. In the latest GeekBench 4 score, appeared an engineering sample of unknown Ice Lake-SP model with 28 cores, 56 threads, a base frequency of 1.5 GHz, and a boost of 3.19 GHz.

This model was put in a dual-socket configuration that ends up at a total of 56 core and 112 threads, against a single 64 core AMD EPYC 7442 Rome CPU. The dual-socket Intel configuration scored 3424 points in the single-threaded test, where AMD configuration scored notably higher 4398 points. The lower score on Intel's part is possibly due to lower clocks, which should improve in the final product, as this is only an engineering sample. When it comes to the multi-threaded test, Intel configuration scored 38079 points, where the AMD EPYC system did worse and scored 35492 points. The reason for this higher result is unknown, however, it shows that Ice Lake-SP has some potential.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
If that Ice Lake really was running at 1.5 GHz, vs a 3.4 GHz EPYC, with 15% more cores, then it's quite a huge achievement

If that Ice Lake really was running at 1.5 GHz, vs a 3.4 GHz EPYC, with 15% more cores, then it's quite a huge achievement
I would not believe that's the case. I'm thinking there's some generic base clock reading.
Its more than likely to see that ICL-SP chips running closer to 3Ghz at load.

With all that taken into count, at least we have comperable results at the high end

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Maybe there is potential, but geekbench and nondescript bench situations + Intel makes me highly suspicious. We've seen this before.

I also am puzzled how we keep thinking Intel will pull some magical rabbit out of the hat even now, after countless announcements of them not reaching targets. And after a decade of confirmation that the low hanging fruit in CPU performance has been picked. Wishful thinking? I think its time to accept the blue Giant has tripped and has been falling since Skylake. Its just a very long way down. So far, every single good looking Intel bench result had a major caveat or was simply an outright lie. Company officials also have histories of being dishonest and keeping vital info from us until they simply can't anymore.

Bottom line. If Intel had anything, we would have seen it and it would have been clearer.

Processor Ryzen 1600AF @4.2Ghz 1.35v
Motherboard MSI B450M PRO-A-MAX
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx L120t
Memory 16GB Team Group Dark Pro Sammy-B-die 3400mhz 14.15.14.30-1.4v
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600 XT THICC II PRO
Storage 240GB Brave eagle SSD/ 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Dell SE2719HR
Case MSI Mag Vampiric 011C AMD Ryzen Edition
Power Supply EVGA 600W 80+
Software Windows 10 Pro
So a 23% or so higher single core score for amd and 8 more physical cores in total yet Intel apparently beats the multicore score by quite a margin, seems legit..

Anything is possible if you double the TDP. :rolleyes:

Geekbench does not report actual frequencies achieved during the test, but rather something generic that the CPU/motherboard tell it if asked.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
@W1zzard please can you ban news articles about Geekbench? It is quite simply the most worthless so-called "benchmark" to ever exist. It was designed for ARM smartphones FFS, why do people think it will be any use for gauging x86 or x64 performance?

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
How come nobody has mentioned that the dual Ice lake setup is probably more than DOUBLE the cost of the single CPU Epyc Rome Setup. Although we don't know pricing yet, this is Intel we're talking about, and based on literally everything they've done up to this point, I think it'd be safe to assume that two Ice Lake 28 core CPUs are substantially more than a single Eypc 64 core, heck I'm willing to bet that a SINGLE 28 core Ice lake CPU costs more than the single Eypc 64 core CPU.

This is why, in my personal opinion, comparisons between hardware should always account for price first and formost. Nothing exists in a vacuum, and hardware doesn't exist in a world free from the realities of cost, and this metric is especially important in the enterprise market. Besides, the comparison I'm more interested in is Ice lake vs Epyc Zen3 (Milan?, I believe) as that's what the true competition will be based upon for the next year.

How come nobody has mentioned that the daul Ice lake setup is probably more than DOUBLE the cost of the single CPU Epyc Rome Setup. Although we don't know pricing yet, this is Intel we're talking about, and based on literally everything they've done up to this point, I think it'd be safe to assume that two Ice Lake 28 core CPUs are substantially more than a single Eypc 64 core, heck I'm willing to bet that a SINGLE 28 core Ice lake CPU costs more than the single Eypc 64 core CPU.

This is why, in my personal opinion, comparisons between hardware should always account for price first and formost. Nothing exists in a vacuum, and hardware doesn't exist in a world free from the realities of cost, and this metric is especially important in the enterprise market. Besides, the comparison I'm more interested in is Ice lake vs Epyc Zen3 (Milan?, I believe) as that's what the true competition will be based upon for the next year.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Extremely relevant, because that's what these CPUs usually run: Geekbench.

We already know Golden Cove has potential. Until we don't have an actual incarnation (i.e. not a development part) we can't predict where it will end up.

Cyler

Without being 100% sure, isn't geekbench also counts avx512 performance? If so, that might explain the drop in GHz and the disparity of the tests, keeping also in mind what Linus Torvalds said about avx.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
should always account for
but we don't have pricing :)

Intel are masters in maximizing revenue, so if they can sell half the CPUs at twice the price, they'll happily do it, (and I guess they should if I gave them my money by being a shareholder?). If people buy more EPYCs then Intel will lower their prices

Ice Lake will be a failiure. Low clocked 10nm that is soon to be eclipsed by 3rd gen EPYC Milan anyway even if it manages to briefly overcore Rome in some aspects of performance (most likely AVX512).

Correction in the article: Ice Lake is Sunny Cove, not Golden Cove. Golden Cove is what's going to be Alder Lake.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Ice Lake will be a failiure. Low clocked 10nm that is soon to be eclipsed by 3rd gen EPYC Milan anyway even if it manages to briefly overcore Rome in some aspects of performance (most likely AVX512).
Ice Lake will be good (in one form or another, possibly after it moves to 7nm). However Ice Lake is currently a failure. Because you can't get it anywhere.

Well then it won't be Ice Lake anymore. The successor should be Sapphire Rapids if im not mistaken.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Well then it won't be Ice Lake anymore. The successor should be Sapphire Rapids if im not mistaken.
It's not a new architecture. Sapphire Rapids is to Ice Lake like Zen2 is to Zen. Basically the same thing.

How come nobody has mentioned that the dual Ice lake setup is probably more than DOUBLE the cost of the single CPU Epyc Rome Setup. Although we don't know pricing yet, this is Intel we're talking about, and based on literally everything they've done up to this point, I think it'd be safe to assume that two Ice Lake 28 core CPUs are substantially more than a single Eypc 64 core, heck I'm willing to bet that a SINGLE 28 core Ice lake CPU costs more than the single Eypc 64 core CPU.

How come nobody has mentioned that the daul Ice lake setup is probably more than DOUBLE the cost of the single CPU Epyc Rome Setup. Although we don't know pricing yet, this is Intel we're talking about, and based on literally everything they've done up to this point, I think it'd be safe to assume that two Ice Lake 28 core CPUs are substantially more than a single Eypc 64 core, heck I'm willing to bet that a SINGLE 28 core Ice lake CPU costs more than the single Eypc 64 core CPU.

you can also add that both configuration are totally different :
windows 10 vs Windows Server 2019
single socket vs dual socket
128GB RAM vs 512GB RAM

It's clearly not fair in the configuration.
So it's not a comparison of two CPU but two systems. And one is hell lot more costly than the other (like 512GB RAM ECC+dual socket MB, not even counting CPU...)

It's not a new architecture. Sapphire Rapids is to Ice Lake like Zen2 is to Zen. Basically the same thing.
Not an entirely new one no. But it should use newer arch that has better IPC. Ofcourse it will be held back by the lackluster 10nm node.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
I wouldn't put any faith in scores from Geekbench, the only interesting fact is the fact that it's being tested.

We've seen impressive scores of Ice Lake-SP from back in February, but the benchmarks could be reading the clocks wrong.

Ice Lake will be good (in one form or another, possibly after it moves to 7nm). However Ice Lake is currently a failure. Because you can't get it anywhere.
Well, unless you're only talking about Ice Lake-SP, Ice Lake-U has had good availability since early this year.

Sapphire Rapids is a new architecture on a new server platform, not a refresh of Sunny Cove.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
@W1zzard please can you ban news articles about Geekbench? It is quite simply the most worthless so-called "benchmark" to ever exist. It was designed for ARM smartphones FFS, why do people think it will be any use for gauging x86 or x64 performance?
Intel's use of it Will come back to bite them on the ass.
It's irrelevant yet it's arm's, multi core X1 arm chips are on the way I would imagine, the likes of Which could make Intel shudder and possibly AMD

TBF Fujitsu changed my mind on some possibilities with their new A64FX chip.

Last edited:
The Intel chip is 3.19GHz boost and that's a real insanely high frequency to begin with a lot of cores, but not a severely high clock rate so power is probably moderately more tolerable and manageable as a whole and able to sustain that boost across all or most cores decently.

So a 23% or so higher single core score for amd and 8 more physical cores in total yet Intel apparently beats the multicore score by quite a margin, seems legit..
That was sort of my first knee jerk reaction reading it as well, but then I got thinking these could be a bit like the other new hybrid chips bigLITTLE chips Intel made. It's hard to say for certain, but if they are indeed like those a bit with a reworking of hyperthreading into more of a per-core performance super-threading take on HT as a whole the actual combined multi-core performance could end up better perhaps perhaps even at a slightly lower clock frequency especially if they've done some other IPC improvements outside that. Also if these chips have higher scale memory compatibility support and/or a broader memory channel as well that account for a fair amount of difference too especially in the multi-core scenario where it would come into play to a much larger degree.