• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EA Preparing Origin Launcher Overhaul

The Origin Launcher provided by EA isn't very popular and has only received intermittent updates over the past few years. EA is hoping to change that with their new Origin Launcher Beta which will be launching soon for Origin Access Premier members. The new Origin Launcher Beta will be a major overhaul designed to improve speed, stability, and reliability. Information regarding specific changes is unavailable but from the new sign-up page we can see that launcher should be receiving a redesigned user interface and a new dark theme. Origin Access Premier members can join the beta here.

Origin said:
We've heard your feedback on Origin - you want a fast, stable, and reliable app that connects you to the games you love and the players you want to play with. This feedback has inspired us to enhance the Origin experience to power a faster, smarter, more connected desktop app and we'll be rolling out improvements over the next few months through the beta.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Ui still looks like shit, with corners so rounded they're almost circles. Design language... yeah. Another one of those things they didn't quite get. If you look carefully you can see its just the old UI with a dark theme and some minor changes.

Also... we get a teaser for this shit?! :roll:

"We heard your feedback"... yeah, your customer base has been yelling in your ear for about five years. But thanks for starting now ... I guess, and the beta is even free! WOW... but only if you sub first.

So wait if I am a premium member and I am paying top dollar for the games , you give them the BETA to test ? Yeah not for me , no I am done with EA and my basic membership , would much rather just play there games on steam .

Processor AMD Ryzen R7 5700X
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Alpenföhn Dolomit Premium
Memory Kingston Fury Beast 16 GB
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4070 Dual OC 12 GB
Storage Kingston Fury Renegade 1 TB, Western Digital Red 2 TB
Display(s) Dell G2724D
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DSX + Microlab B-77
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-550
Mouse Zowie ZA11
Keyboard Genius KB-235
Software Windows 10 Pro
So wait if I am a premium member and I am paying top dollar for the games , you give them the BETA to test ? Yeah not for me , no I am done with EA and my basic membership , would much rather just play there games on steam .
*their

What difference does it make to pay for their games on Steam instead of Origin? It just doesn't make any sense.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I don't really have a problem with Origin, but I do have a problem with buying EA games on Steam and then having to ALSO have an Origin account.

Played Mirror's edge Catalyst during Lockdown and was all set to Buy ME:Andromeda but I last used Origin in the BF3/Titanfall days and it's horrible. I don't even want an EA account, let alone having them forcibly install that junk on any PC I use.

I found a way to play Andromeda without Origin. It sucks when paying customers are the ones that must suffer, but I am tired of EA's BS and they haven't had a dollar off me since Titanfall, which was the last straw in my tolerance of EA ruining studios.

Last edited:
System Name White Shark
Processor 5600x
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua U12A Chromax
Memory Crucial Ballistix 16GB (8GBx2) CL16 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 12gb Asus TUF OC
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB OS / 860 EVO 500 GB /860 EVO 1TB/ Seagate 1TB
Display(s) LG 34GP83A-B 3440x1440p 144hz nano-ips ultrawide
Case Phanteks P500A (White/Black)
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Seasonic 850FX focus gold 80plus
Mouse HyperX Pulsefire Haste
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Origins Core - Tenkeyless
Software W10
At least once a day i jump in Origin for a match of BFV, yesterday people started complaining about getting dc several times, myself included. So their news are this Lmao!!!! BFV is full of new accounts.... 0.99cents what i dont care if brings more players but all the contrary. Cheaters algalore every single day, no ping capped even though is a fps, since day 1 release (100+ , 200+ pings) no hit reg and they turned and youre dead. The player reporting system is a joke. Still Origin updates bunch of space and fix nothing. EA really??? New launcher??? Dont make laugh

Ui still looks like shit, with corners so rounded they're almost circles. Design language... yeah. Another one of those things they didn't quite get. If you look carefully you can see its just the old UI with a dark theme and some minor changes.

Also... we get a teaser for this shit?! :roll:

"We heard your feedback"... yeah, your customer base has been yelling in your ear for about five years. But thanks for starting now ... I guess, and the beta is even free! WOW... but only if you sub first.

You forgot... come sub and we let you cheat as much as you want!!! We want your money!!! Dont mind the players complaining. Cheat as long as you pay!!!

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
At least once a day i jump in Origin for a match of BFV, yesterday people started complaining about getting dc several times, myself included. So their news are this Lmao!!!! BFV is full of new accounts.... 0.99cents what i dont care if brings more players but all the contrary. Cheaters algalore every single day, no ping capped even though is a fps, since day 1 release (100+ , 200+ pings) no hit reg and they turned and youre dead. The player reporting system is a joke. Still Origin updates bunch of space and fix nothing. EA really??? New launcher??? Dont make laugh

You forgot... come sub and we let you cheat as much as you want!!! We want your money!!! Dont mind the players complaining. Cheat as long as you pay!!!

I do wonder why you even play BFV given all the negatives :p

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
I hope they get rid of that policy that if I change my MB, CPU or even Boot drive I lose my credentials.

EA didn't listen at all, we want all games back on steam and we totally want to get rid of the Origin launcher. But in the end it doesn't really matter, everything EA releases is garbage anyway.

System Name White Shark
Processor 5600x
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua U12A Chromax
Memory Crucial Ballistix 16GB (8GBx2) CL16 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 12gb Asus TUF OC
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB OS / 860 EVO 500 GB /860 EVO 1TB/ Seagate 1TB
Display(s) LG 34GP83A-B 3440x1440p 144hz nano-ips ultrawide
Case Phanteks P500A (White/Black)
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Seasonic 850FX focus gold 80plus
Mouse HyperX Pulsefire Haste
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Origins Core - Tenkeyless
Software W10
Camping with friends lololol only thing that makes me comeback

D

Deleted member 177333

Oh EA...you guys just don't get it. I don't care how much you overhaul it. I won't use it. Period. Sell your games at GOG and / or Steam without requiring the Origin client and I'll buy them. If you require the Origin launcher then I won't buy them. Very simple.

Processor AMD 5800X
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Memory G.Skill 32GB
Software Windows 10
I got BFV shortly after launch for $30 (clearly it didn't sell as well as they hoped). I played the single player, which was just okay, but didn't touch the multiplayer because I knew the online portion was buggy. I wanted to give them time to iron things out so I didn't pick it back up until around the following March, thinking about 5 months would have been plenty of time. BF4 had a similarly rough launch, but they continually worked on that game and it ended up being one of the best online BF experiences by the end of it (community map etc). I was having a pretty good time, top of the leaderboard even though I was ranked 0/1 because it's a BF game, and as someone who's played BF since 1942, it's like riding a bike getting back into it. Great round where both teams were evenly matched and under 100 tickets. Then hard crash to desktop. I uninstalled the game and haven't touched it since.

I've still followed the game even though I don't play it because I love the franchise, but they've made so many mistakes with BFV (the whole TTK fiasco, lack of support/updates, lack of famous WW2 battles, server rental program and on and on), that I'm not really looking forward to BF6. I've been with the franchise for almost 20 years, but BFV (and to some extent, BF1), were steps backwards. I'm still hoping that they could return to form, but I'll be watching the BF6 launch with trepidation.

As for Origin, I don't irrationally hate it like some others, but it does feel like it's been abandoned by EA. They removed voice chat support and the ability to customize the cover art for whatever reasons and they still have an Origin Points thing that does absolutely nothing. At least with Uplay you can unlock in-game gear, soundtracks, store discounts etc with their Uplay points, but EA's been sitting on the Origin points since soon after they launched Origin if I remember correctly. I'm guessing they had similar plans to what Ubisoft did, but how have they still not implemented them? When you make Ubisoft seem extremely competent, you know you've done something wrong.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I was a multi-platform EA customer from 1991 to 2014.

The number of franchises and studios they've ruined is sickening. Origin is one of the worst examples of "shareholders above customers" in their entire history, which is a damning statement because their history is shocking enough year-by-year.

Maybe it's better now, but that's not the point. The point is 'once bitten, twice shy' and with the fierce competition in the game launcher market, EA don't get a second, third, or fourth chance. They've ruined Origin and need to rethink the entire concept.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
EA? Early Access? :p

I bought 1 game from EA which forced me to use the origin launcher to install it. The next day I promptly unisntalled the crap launcher the next day. I wouldnt trust EA to do the right thing here. There are plenty of launchers (with plenty of games) around that collect data and sell it to advertisers, whats one more? right? I'd rather boycott EA... :shadedshu:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
this is a welcome change imo. personally never had an issue with the Origin launcher but it was my least favorite between uplay and steam. uplay is my favorite still, uplay gave me a reason to do achievements - i love having unique unlocks you can't buy with money and requires point achievements to unlock. never bothered once with achievements on steam. reward systems work, just ask World of Warcraft in 2005.

System Name ATHENA
Processor AMD 7950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 7 x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC IP67 2000RPM
Memory 2x32GB Trident Z RGB 6000Mhz CL30
Video Card(s) ASUS 4090 Strix
Storage 3 x Kingston Fury 4TB, 4 x Samsung 870 QVO
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW, Wacom Cintiq Pro 15
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) Topping A90/D90 MQA, Fluid FPX7 Fader Pro, Beyerdynamic T1 G2, Beyerdynamic MMX300
Power Supply ASUS THOR 1600T
Mouse Xtrfy MZ1 - Zy' Rail, Logitech MX Vertical, Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 + OpenSUSE MicroOS
Its the old launcher, with a dark theme. lol.

I'm sure it has other improvements, but UI wise its almost identical, lol.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I think user negative feedback has been at least 10 years. :laugh: