• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A Question About Motherboards

Valinor

i want to buy a ryzen 4900x when it comes out, im gonna need a motherboard that already supports the new ryzens, because i wont have a motherboard i can get a bios update to support them, will i have to wait to buy a new motherboard until after the new ryzens come out so i know they support the new ryzens or can i buy one right now that will support them, because i wont be able to do a bios upgrade later, this is the first time im going to build a computer, and im going from a xeon x3470 quad core to ryzen 4900x so this will be a huge upgrade for me, really excited about it

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Just wait, the Motherboards will be released around the same time as the Processors.

Valinor

Thanks Sir!, also do you expect the new ryzens to sell out in minutes or an hour upon release on amazon, did they last year? because i got prime and i want to order it day one, just wondering if i got to be crazy fast ordering it

Last edited:

aQi

The motherboards (new chipset) will likely show up on the exact time.
If you are talking about the current chipset supporting 3rd gen ryzen and will support the new 4th gen after the bios update. Well in that case the same motherboards will be sold with the bios update and a marker on its box that ryzen 4th gen supported. Just as the previously done.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
will i have to wait to buy a new motherboard until after the new ryzens come out so i know they support the new ryzens or can i buy one right now that will support them
You are asking us to look into a crystal ball and predict the future. I wish I could.

Motherboard makers certainly try to ensure their boards will support future processors, but there is no way to be 100% certain they will. So as suggested, it would be best to wait until the processor you want hits the market, then buy a board you know already supports it.

And FTR, I do not recommend you buy on "Day 1". You don't want a processor or a motherboard that was "rushed to market". I recommend waiting a month or two and listen for fall-out.

because i wont be able to do a bios upgrade later,
Why?

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Just wait, the Motherboards will be released around the same time as the Processors.
Source on this information? Afaik, there are no new boards specifically being made for the Ryzen 4000-series. We might see some updated models though, but as AMD isn't planning any new chipsets this year...

The motherboards (new chipset) will likely show up on the exact time.
If you are talking about the current chipset supporting 3rd gen ryzen and will support the new 4th gen after the bios update. Well in that case the same motherboards will be sold with the bios update and a marker on its box that ryzen 4th gen supported. Just as the previously done.
Again, source on this? To my knowledge, there is no new chipset(s) for the 4000-series.

My source being people I know that work at motherboard makers.

i want to buy a ryzen 4900x when it comes out, im gonna need a motherboard that already supports the new ryzens, because i wont have a motherboard i can get a bios update to support them, will i have to wait to buy a new motherboard until after the new ryzens come out so i know they support the new ryzens or can i buy one right now that will support them, because i wont be able to do a bios upgrade later, this is the first time im going to build a computer, and im going from a xeon x3470 quad core to ryzen 4900x so this will be a huge upgrade for me, really excited about it
Just get a board that supports what in general seems to be called BIOS Flashback. It allows you to put the UEFI file on a USB stick, put it in a dedicated USB port, press a button on the board and the UEFI can be flashed without a CPU in the socket. The board needs to be connected to a PSU though.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI MPG X570S Carbon Max Wifi
Cooling CPU: bequiet! Dark Rock 4. Case fans: 2x bequiet Silent Wings 3 140s, 2x Silent Wings 3 120s
Memory 2 x 8 GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-4400 C19
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT
Storage 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E M.2, 1 TB SK Hynix P31 M.2, 1 TB Inland Professional, 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG271CQR 1440p 144Hz, MSI Optix MAG241C 1080p 144Hz
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP9500, V-Moda BoomPro, Sybasonic Better Connectivity USB DAC/Amp
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 80+ Gold 750W
Mouse Glorious Model D Wireless
Keyboard Custom Qwertykeys Navy QK80: Sarokeys Strawberry Wine switches, GMK CYL DMG3 keycaps
You can buy a motherboard now if you really want to - an X570 board with BIOS flashback would give you the most features (in terms of PCIe lane allocation, etc.) as well as not need a current CPU to update the BIOS to a 4000-series compatible one. However, I'm going to agree with Bill here. Don't buy day one, and I would recommend getting a motherboard that releases alongside the new chips as well, if there is such a thing (as TheLostSwede points out, there hasn't been any info about new mobos). It doesn't make sense for you to buy a motherboard now, have it sit in the box gathering dust, lose your ability to return it no questions asked when the 30-day return period expires, just to find out that there's some feature on a new chipset motherboard released alongside the 4000 series that the older boards don't have.

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
IMHO, the worst possible time to buy a totally new CPU is one day 1.... unless of course you think you just gotta have it right there & then.... I'm pretty sure most folks here will say to wait a month or so, to see what, if any, bugs surface & have time to get them worked out...

But as swede already stated, there has been no indications that AMD will release a new mobo chipset this year specifically to support the 4 series cpu's, and they said a good while back that the current chips will support them with a bios update....

And mobo makers always wanna make sure their stuff supports new cpu's so they can keep the buy this-upgrade that cash cow cycle going. They have known about ALL the specs & details of the 4 series for quite some time now, so they should have everything ready to go asap after their release :)

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
You can buy a motherboard now if you really want to - an X570 board with BIOS flashback would give you the most features (in terms of PCIe lane allocation, etc.) as well as not need a current CPU to update the BIOS to a 4000-series compatible one. However, I'm going to agree with Bill here. Don't buy day one, and I would recommend getting a motherboard that releases alongside the new chips as well, if there is such a thing (as TheLostSwede points out, there hasn't been any info about new mobos). It doesn't make sense for you to buy a motherboard now, have it sit in the box gathering dust, lose your ability to return it no questions asked when the 30-day return period expires, just to find out that there's some feature on a new chipset motherboard released alongside the 4000 series that the older boards don't have.
That is probably why just about every B550 and X570 boards come with a BIOS flash button. Even the lowly MSI X570 Pro has one.

aQi

Source on this information? Afaik, there are no new boards specifically being made for the Ryzen 4000-series. We might see some updated models though, but as AMD isn't planning any new chipsets this year...

Again, source on this? To my knowledge, there is no new chipset(s) for the 4000-series.

My source being people I know that work at motherboard makers.

Thats what everyone is saying that the same chipset will work for ryzen 4000 series.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
I suggest learning to use capital letters and periods.

Thanks Sir!, also do you expect the new ryzens to sell out in minutes or an hour upon release on amazon, did they last year? because i got prime and i want to order it day one, just wondering if i got to be crazy fast ordering it

You're punishing yourself .... there's a reason they call it the "bleeding edge".

1. The BIOS issue you stated (when it applies)
2. The unstated BIOS issue .... immature BIOSs will be improved ... leaving you to to update and retweak your settings, 1, 2, 3 ... or more times before ,,, if you overclock, even more headaches.
3. Higher prices .... bragging rights for being the 1st on on your block or in your circle to have the new shiny thing means you will come up short compared to peeps who wait,
4. First stepping electronics are devoid of all the fixes that are addressed in later steppings. Those that wait, get to miss this.
5. Production line improvements usually result in better perfomance. The % of CPUs for example that meat certain performance benchmarks increases over time. CPU Overclocking for example .... let's say that 2% of CPUs hit X.Y Ghz .... bext stepping that % often goes up a bit ... 3rd stepping a bit more. With RAM we see more sticks being able to hit a specific speed at lower voltages .... My current MoBo in early steppings had an issue with external devices not walking up when PC came out of sleep mode. I waited 2.5 months until a new stepping that resolved the problem.
6. Remember the famous line in the move "Princess Bride" ... "I don't think that word means what you think it means". That applies to component selection. My son shares a house with 2 of his college buddies, was over there last night ..... play date for our dogs :) .... and one of the guys was asking questions about his component selections and named his choices . So i asked ... "Well if the stuff isn't even out yet, how can you make up ya mind w/o knowing relative performance between the competing products ? And his answer was Company A is faster than Company B now so the new stuff has to be faster still. So i asked "Are you sure ? Go to TPU site and check relative performance for each spplication you use." he did ... and now he wiped his parts list and will wait till TPU published performance reviews.

Valinor

i should of been more clear, i meant do you expect, the new ryzens to sell out on day 1 on amazon, not motherboards, anyways thx for the responses , my question was answered i didnt know about bios flashback