• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD x86 Market Share Reaches 2013 Level Highs

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Mercury Research, one of the electronics industry's premier analyst firms, has revealed its market analysis results - and as you no doubt expected, these paint AMD in a very positive light. According to the company, AMD has reached market share levels it didn't hold since 2013 - a marked improvement over its continuingly dwindling presence in both enterprise's and consumer's minds following some debatable management decisions and technology pursuits.

AMD's Desktop x86 unit share rose to 19.2% in 2Q20, a 0.6% gain over the previous quarter and a very significant 2.1% year-over-year (YoY) increase - a significant achievement following 10 straight quarters of growing market share for the company. However, AMD's mobile chip share paints a much more impressive story, where the company managed to achieve a historic 19.9% of the market - a segment where AMD has long struggled historically, where it embattled a deeply entrenched Intel (and still is battling both Intel and OEM's perceptions and Intel-geared product development and manufacturing workflow). AMD's 2Q18 share in the mobile market was a mere 8.8% - AMD more than doubled its share in just two years, and increased its share by 2.9% over the prior quarter and a 5.8% gain YoY. And that number can only go up, following the extremely warm reception of the company's latest Ryzen 4000 mobile processors, which have already scored 50 design wins with some 30 more designs to be released before year's end.

When it comes to enterprise, AMD has achieved a 5.8% market share - which may seem very low; relativize this number with AMD's 0.8% market share back in 4Q17, though, and you'll see this is nothing short of groundbreaking. AMD's CEO Lisa Su, however, has said that the company has already broken the two-digit barrier in market share for the server market - we'll definitely be seeing more details on this soon.

However you paint it, these are historic results for AMD, and paint a much healthier picture of the x86 market than we've seen in years.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
AMD better not let up on the gas pedal, they need to keep going with the pedal pushed to the flood.

System Name [H]arbringer
Processor 4x 61XX ES @3.5Ghz (48cores)
Motherboard SM GL
Cooling 3x xspc rx360, rx240, 4x DT G34 snipers, D5 pump.
Memory 16x gskill DDR3 1600 cas6 2gb
Video Card(s) blah bigadv folder no gfx needed
Storage 32GB Sammy SSD
Display(s) headless
Case Xigmatek Elysium (whats left of it)
Audio Device(s) yawn
Power Supply Antec 1200w HCP
Software Ubuntu 10.10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1780855 http://www.hwbot.org/submission/2158678 http://ww
AMD better not let up on the gas pedal, they need to keep going with the pedal pushed to the flood.

It's going to be hard not to take massive server share this year, anything HPC that uses Nvidia ref design will use Epyc.
All gpu servers this gen are rome/milan...

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
Their laptop designs are the most important, more people have laptops today and since they had virtually no-small sales in that department, that is going to be the biggest area of growth for them. And usually laptops have higher profit margins than desktops.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 185088

There laptop designs are the most important, more people have laptops today and since they had virtually no-small sales in that department, that is going to be the biggest area of growth for them. And usually laptops have higher profit margins than desktops.
Indeed, and in that front AMD is well placed, they offer better performance at a better price and certainly better battery life.

I do hope they can keep up the momentum. With Intel waking up, the years ahead will get competitive. But at the same time because AMD is becoming better known over the last few years, the public opinion of Intel is the best is slowly eroding. In fact I was quite surprise to hear quite a number of my friends asking me if AMD is a good brand because someone recommended a PC with AMD processor to them. Shows that the brand is starting to make inroads by positive word of mouth marketing/ recommendation.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
I do hope they can keep up the momentum. With Intel waking up, the years ahead will get competitive. But at the same time because AMD is becoming better known over the last few years, the public opinion of Intel is the best is slowly eroding. In fact I was quite surprise to hear quite a number of my friends asking me if AMD is a good brand because someone recommended a PC with AMD processor to them. Shows that the brand is starting to make inroads by positive word of mouth marketing/ recommendation.
Intel still appears to be sleepy. I'm not blaming them for sitting on their hands for the node, but definitely the architecture. If they could get away with refining Skylake for even longer, they would... but they'd prefer to do so at a smaller process. If they actually had a working 10nm node, they could make a lot more chips with the same silicon.