• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

IBM Delivers Its Highest Quantum Volume to Date

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Today, IBM has unveiled a new milestone on its quantum computing road map, achieving the company's highest Quantum Volume to date. Combining a series of new software and hardware techniques to improve overall performance, IBM has upgraded one of its newest 27-qubit client-deployed systems to achieve a Quantum Volume 64. The company has made a total of 28 quantum computers available over the last four years through IBM Quantum Experience.

In order to achieve a Quantum Advantage, the point where certain information processing tasks can be performed more efficiently or cost effectively on a quantum computer, versus a classical one, it will require improved quantum circuits, the building blocks of quantum applications. Quantum Volume measures the length and complexity of circuits - the higher the Quantum Volume, the higher the potential for exploring solutions to real world problems across industry, government, and research.

To achieve this milestone, the company focused on a new set of techniques and improvements that used knowledge of the hardware to optimally run the Quantum Volume circuits. These hardware-aware methods are extensible and will improve any quantum circuit run on any IBM Quantum system, resulting in improvements to the experiments and applications which users can explore. These techniques will be available in upcoming releases and improvements to the IBM Cloud software services and the cross-platform open source software development kit (SDK) Qiskit.

"We are always finding new ways to push the limits of our systems so that we can run larger, more complex quantum circuits and more quickly achieve a Quantum Advantage," said Jay Gambetta, IBM Fellow and Vice President, IBM Quantum. "IBM's full-stack approach gives an innovative avenue to develop hardware-aware applications, algorithms and circuits, all running on the most extensive and powerful quantum hardware fleet in the industry."

The IBM Quantum team has shared details on the technical improvements made across the full stack to reach Quantum Volume 64 in a preprint released on arXiv, today.

IBM Quantum Highlights
  • IBM has reached Quantum Volume 64 on a 27-qubit system deployed within the IBM Q Network
  • 28 quantum computing systems deployed on the IBM Cloud over the last four years with eight systems boasting a Quantum Volume of 32
  • The IBM Q Network has 115 client, government, startup, partner, and university members
  • 250,000+ registered users of the IBM Quantum Experience
  • Users routinely execute more than 1 Billion hardware circuits per day on IBM Quantum systems on the IBM Cloud
  • Researchers have published 250+ papers based on work on IBM Quantum systems

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

D

Deleted member 185088

I'm struggling to understand quantum computing, how can you harness randomness of quantum mechanics??
Any suggestions of materials to better understand??

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
How many buckets would that fill?

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I'm struggling to understand quantum computing, how can you harness randomness of quantum mechanics??

This is a start...
I didn't get through the whole thing tbh with you :p
Wizardry, I say.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C

A quantum computer is just a controllable (that's the goal) quantum system. Thus it's primary function really is to simulate quantum events rather than classical computation.

D

Deleted member 185088

This is a start...
I didn't get through the whole thing tbh with you :p
Wizardry, I say.

I have read a few things about quantum mechanics, but I still don't understand how they can use it in computing, for randomness it's perfect like some commented it could revolutionise encryption.
Unless I missing the point, and it's rather used for some specific computing and not as a replacement for our normal binary system.

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
Quite the opposite. It can be abused by those in power.

Let's be more precise - it can be abused by anyone with enough skill and access to said systems.

Let's be more precise - it can be abused by anyone with enough skill and access to said systems.

I doubt this technology will be available to the average Joe, do you? It's clearly in the hands of those running / or are part of the circus, hence my reply.

I doubt this technology will be available to the average Joe, do you? It's clearly in the hands of those running / or are part of the circus, hence my reply.
Don't know what kind of conspiracy theory that is. By that logic, we wouldn't have access to modern digital CPUs because they're so much more powerful than any mechanical computation devices they had 100 years ago. Doubt it or not, if it's out and it's that powerful, it'll be out. What else are they (IBM and others) developing it exactly for in your mind?

It'll take at least the next 30 years of slow, but open to the public like this, incremental development. By that time, people will know exactly how to build one. It's not hard to figure out how to build a dual bit computer these days. And it was never really a secret before. Anyone can build a rudimentary computer from single transistors today if they know what they are doing. This won't be any different with quantum computers, once the components are readily available.

Last edited:
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64

Well no, in fact any single person can go to the top/subtop level of middle school and then study here.

Its a normal university like any other and the field of science is a field like every other.

As for available to the average joe, there isn't a single commercial use case for it yet. So even if you had it... what would you do with it?

You have to realize this is a leap in technology especially, and first of all, in terms of cybersecurity. So what you want is broad knowledge of this stuff, because knowledge in this case truly, literally is power. And lacking knowledge will cause you (as a state, company, population) severe risk and trouble. The foremost use case right now that is envisioned is not only communication over distance but most notably cracking encryption, as quantum can do that many orders faster than any binary system.

So what you WILL get as lowly consumer/civilian is probably some form of security that mitigates quantum decryption methods.

Last edited:
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
With the upside comes the downside.

You said it, but is it a downside? Its a reality that is closely connected to technological progress. In the same vein, fire and gunpowder are up- and downsides, perhaps :) But I really only see the upside here. Its progress. The more we know, the more we can secure. More so than upsides or downsides, is this a technological race, an arms race if you consider states between each other, even.

So far all those arms races have been hugely beneficial to our progress. Think Space Race. This is really quite similar.

Additionally, if we're racing against each other, we aren't shooting.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Unless I missing the point, and it's rather used for some specific computing and not as a replacement for our normal binary system.

This is exactly right. A quantum computer will never, ever make it into a PC (as in a Personal Computer) or anything that is supposed to be a generic number cruncher. One explanation (and I have no idea if this is accurate) is that a quantum machine is great at quantum calculations, meaning stuff that happens on a quantum level. Like accurately calculate properties of molecules or magnetism. Simulations. And a bunch of other very specific stuff. At this point it's hard to know exactly what they will be great at as they are still very much beta machines. So you won't use one as a personal computing device, but one day you might task one with work, especially if machine learning and quantum machines work well together, which .. I have no idea if they do or not, but I guess they might. Machine learning is going through endless data to reach a point and then go again and quantum computers can be exceptionally good at that. This is where the next decade or so gets really interesting.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
This is exactly right. A quantum computer will never, ever make it into a PC (as in a Personal Computer) or anything that is supposed to be a generic number cruncher. One explanation (and I have no idea if this is accurate) is that a quantum machine is great at quantum calculations, meaning stuff that happens on a quantum level. Like accurately calculate properties of molecules or magnetism. Simulations. And a bunch of other very specific stuff. At this point it's hard to know exactly what they will be great at as they are still very much beta machines. So you won't use one as a personal computing device, but one day you might task one with work, especially if machine learning and quantum machines work well together, which .. I have no idea if they do or not, but I guess they might. Machine learning is going through endless data to reach a point and then go again and quantum computers can be exceptionally good at that. This is where the next decade or so gets really interesting.

Seriously when QM meets ML, the Matrix is actually complete. We've launched systems we don't fully comprehend and are capable of self-iteration at that point.

Well no, in fact any single person can go to the top/subtop level of middle school and then study here.

In a controlled environment.

As for available to the average joe, there isn't a single commercial use case for it yet. So even if you had it... what would you do with it?

Already stated that.

You have to realize this is a leap in technology especially, and first of all, in terms of cybersecurity. So what you want is broad knowledge of this stuff, because knowledge in this case truly, literally is power. And lacking knowledge will cause you (as a state, company, population) severe risk and trouble. The foremost use case right now that is envisioned is not only communication over distance but most notably cracking encryption, as quantum can do that many orders faster than any binary system.

?
Formerly an Engineer, I understand it perfectly well. I even used to make my own food to take to my former place of work. Aren't I clever :confused:
And we have a computer scientist in the family. God, she used to bore me to tears.
Look, I'm merely pointing out the pitfalls of new thechnology in the wrong hands. There really is no need to write an essay about it.
Just make your point brief and to the point, that's all I'm asking. :)

You said it, but is it a downside?

I did. And yes, it does have it's downsides. Please read the link I posted earlier.

Last edited:
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
In a controlled environment.

Already stated that.

?
Formerly an Engineer, I understand it perfectly well. I even used to make my own food to take to my former place of work. Aren't I clever :confused:
And we have a computer scientist in the family. God, she used to bore me to tears.
Look, I'm merely pointing out the pitfalls of new thechnology in the wrong hands. There really is no need to write an essay about it.
Just make your point brief and to the point, that's all I'm asking. :)

I did. And yes, it does have it's downsides. Please read the link I posted earlier.

Sorry for being the school teacher. I do that too often I guess. Its not even so much particularly ever aimed at a single person I respond to, but more as an overall bit of knowledge on the subject, for those not in the know. I obviously don't know what you know :)

Another thing I'm fond of is trying to put a different perspective, or logic, on a subject. That's what I tried with the point of whether its a downside or not. It depends on how you look at it, sometimes.

r9

System Name Primary|Secondary|Poweredge r410|Dell XPS|SteamDeck
Processor i7 11700k|i7 9700k|2 x E5620 |i5 5500U|Zen 2 4c/8t
Memory 32GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|32GB ECC DDR3|8GB DDR4|16GB LPDDR5
Video Card(s) RX 7800xt|RX 6700xt |On-Board|On-Board|8 RDNA 2 CUs
Storage 2TB m.2|512GB SSD+1TB SSD|2x256GBSSD 2x2TBGB|256GB sata|512GB nvme
Display(s) 50" 4k TV | Dell 27" |22" |3.3"|7"
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey+ | Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 Pro|Windows 10 Pro|Windows 10 Home| Server 2012 r2|Windows 10 Pro
It's a gimmick, useful as 28 transistor CPU.

Sorry for being the school teacher. I do that too often I guess. Its not even so much particularly ever aimed at a single person I respond to, but more as an overall bit of knowledge on the subject, for those not in the know. I obviously don't know what you know :)

Another thing I'm fond of is trying to put a different perspective, or logic, on a subject. That's what I tried with the point of whether its a downside or not. It depends on how you look at it, sometimes.

I was a shit for having a low level rant. My bad too. No harm done. :)

That article over-simplifies things to a great extent. It isn't meant to demonstrate an actual risk, only to present a theorized concept. A quantum processor would need to have a base algorithm for the compute needed to break any given encryption scheme. Each variation would need it's own algorithm. Such is not easily achieved as a directed attack on a cypher has to be built in a way similar to conventional methods. The more complex the cypher, the longer it will take to crack, even for a quantum processor. For example, a lone 256bit cypher would take a quantum processor with 128qbits approximately 3 days to break(using a proposed theory as a basis of estimation). Using a double cascade cypher set would take 8 years. A triple cascade, 73 years. Increase the cypher strength to 512bit or even 1024bit and the time needed still falls outside the range of a complete human lifetime. Increasing the number of qbits per quantum processor does not guarantee an equivalent reduction in time.

Cracking encryption does not become a breeze with a quantum computer, it just becomes faster depending on the parameters and requirements at play. Quantum computers do not and will not make today's modern encryption irrelevant. Things just don't work that way.

Last edited:
I'm totally surprised by your answer (from somebody who signed up 2 months ago and already has 182 posts)..NOT.

When you reply using Don't know what kind of conspiracy theory that is. what sort of response did you expect?
It's a form of attack. Have some manners when responding in future, You might get a better response.