• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Whitley Platform for Xeon "Ice Lake-SP" Processors Pictured

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Here's is the first schematic of Intel's upcoming "Whitley" enterprise platform for the upcoming Xeon Scalable "Ice Lake-SP" processors, courtesy momomo_us. The platform sees the introduction of the new LGA4189 socket necessitated by Intel increasing the memory channels per socket to 8, compared to 6 of the current-gen "Cascade Lake-SP." The new platform also sees the introduction of PCI-Express gen 4.0 bus, with each socket putting out up to 64 PCI-Express gen 4.0 CPU-attached lanes. This are typically wired out as three x16 slots, two x8 slots, an x4 chipset bus, and a CPU-attached 10 GbE controller.

The processor supports up to 8 memory channels running at DDR4-3200 with ECC. The other key component of the platform is the Intel C621A PCH. The C621A talks to the "Ice Lake-SP" processor over a PCI-Express 3.0 x4 link, and appears to retain gen 3.0 fabric from the older generation C621. momomo_us also revealed that the 10 nm "Ice Lake-SP" processor could have TDP of up to 270 W.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
Wait, am I reading this correctly? Intel is still using only a 3.0x4 Chipset link for the Xeon platform? I guess they increased the number of CPU lanes (still half that of Epyc), but I was also under the impression that Intel wouldn't have PCIe Gen4 and were going right to PCIe 5.0 with the platform after this one, but I guess I'm misremembering. That's actually one of the best features of TRX40/Eypc in is the 4.0x8 Chipset link, in my opinion, as it essentially removes all potential bottlenecks for even serious storage setups that may have to go through the chipset or allows you to throw a dual port 10GBase-T NIC in there if you had to.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
Well, this seams more like a diagram for a specific motherboard series than the platform.

Wait, am I reading this correctly? Intel is still using only a 3.0x4 Chipset link for the Xeon platform?
<snip>
That's actually one of the best features of TRX40/Eypc in is the 4.0x8 Chipset link, in my opinion, as it essentially removes all potential bottlenecks for even serious storage setups that may have to go through the chipset or allows you to throw a dual port 10GBase-T NIC in there if you had to.
C621A seems like a revision of C621 (the Skylake-SP chipset). So if the chipset doesn't need more, why would you waste more energy and development resources on more?
For servers and high-end workstations, the chipset is pretty much there for convenience. Anything demanding like GPUs, RAID controllers, Optane, PCIe/M2 SSDs, etc. will be connected directly through PCIe.
For example, just look at the schematics in the article, the two 10G NICs are connected directly through PCIe, which is typical for server boards, because if you needed 10G networking, why would you bottleneck the chipset by running it though there? The same is true for large RAIDs, you would hook up a RAID controller, not run it through the chipset. Having most stuff hooked up through the chipset is more a consumer thing.

I'm all for having more stable and mature chipsets. If anything I want less complexity in there and just more CPU PCIe lanes instead.

I guess they increased the number of CPU lanes (still half that of Epyc), but I was also under the impression that Intel wouldn't have PCIe Gen4 and were going right to PCIe 5.0 with the platform after this one, but I guess I'm misremembering.
More lanes is good, but at least Intel's lanes are working. There is little comfort in having 128 lanes if there are compatibility and stability issues. Let's hope Zen 3 proves to be mature enough to truly compete with Intel.

Well, this seams more like a diagram for a specific motherboard series than the platform.

C621A seems like a revision of C621 (the Skylake-SP chipset). So if the chipset doesn't need more, why would you waste more energy and development resources on more?
For servers and high-end workstations, the chipset is pretty much there for convenience. Anything demanding like GPUs, RAID controllers, Optane, PCIe/M2 SSDs, etc. will be connected directly through PCIe.
For example, just look at the schematics in the article, the two 10G NICs are connected directly through PCIe, which is typical for server boards, because if you needed 10G networking, why would you bottleneck the chipset by running it though there? The same is true for large RAIDs, you would hook up a RAID controller, not run it through the chipset. Having most stuff hooked up through the chipset is more a consumer thing.

I'm all for having more stable and mature chipsets. If anything I want less complexity in there and just more CPU PCIe lanes instead.

More lanes is good, but at least Intel's lanes are working. There is little comfort in having 128 lanes if there are compatibility and stability issues. Let's hope Zen 3 proves to be mature enough to truly compete with Intel.

Can you give a link where it explains the issues with 128 lanes on zen 2? Thanks

System Name RaGe Red
Processor AMD 3960X
Motherboard Asus Zenith Extreme 2 Alpha
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 64GB of 3800 DDR4
Video Card(s) Asus 2080 Ti / EVGA KP 3090
Storage SSD
Case Wetbench
Power Supply EVGA 1600W P Series
Benchmark Scores Check RageSet at HWBot

I deploy Epyc and Intel based servers for small to enterprise size businesses and if you're referring to the Epyc NVMe test LTT explored, that is an unreasonable and unrealistic experiment. No one that is an actual IT pro directly attaches that much storage in Raid 0, no less, and expects no issues in performance or most importantly, reliability.

Epyc is hurting Intel right now, unfortunately. There is no need to wait for Zen 3. Intel will come back swinging though, as Enterprise is where the real profit lies.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
This sounds like another intel smokescreen, look at my left hand, not the right. This look like a colossal failure and waste of development but intel had to put something out to please the shareholders. yea. :shadedshu:

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
ya know... I like your enthusiam to discredit AMD any chance you get. Would you go as far as saying intel doesnt share lanes? I can imagine why AMD shares lanes, I'm guessin cuz unused lanes can benefit elsewhere? hmmm