• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

US Government Could Blacklist Chinese Chipmaker SMIC

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
The Trump administration has reportedly been considering adding to Chinese chipmaker SMIC (Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation) to the trade blacklist of Chinese companies, restricting the company of doing any business with the United States and/or with any of its affiliates. The original report comes from Reuters and it states that the move came from Pentagon after considering whatever SMIC should be placed on a blacklist. It is so far unclear if other US agencies support the decision, however, it should be public in the near future. The company has received the news on Saturday and it was "in complete shock" about the decision. Shortly after the news broke, SMIC stock has fallen as much as 15% amid the possible blacklist. If SMIC would like to continue working with American suppliers, it would need to seek a difficult-to-obtain license from the government.

Update 28th September: The United States government has officially imposed sanctions on the Chinese chipmaker SMIC. The company is now under US sanctions and is placed on a trade blacklist.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

D

Deleted member 24505

Let America alienate the much needed Chinese tech companies. they are just being paranoid and cutting their nose off to spite their face. there probably is not the manufacturing capabilitie in america to replace all the Chinese companies( who they have probably been dealing with for years with no problem ) they are alienating. Trump is a joke.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Let America alienate the much needed Chinese tech companies. they are just being paranoid and cutting their nose off to spite their face. there probably is not the manufacturing capabilitie in america to replace all the Chinese companies( who they have probably been dealing with for years with no problem ) they are alienating. Trump is a joke.
Much needed for what exactly?
I have no need for them. I would much rather that Japan, Taiwan, India, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam and other Asian countries took over from China, or why not move some of it back to North America or Europe?
What is good with China being in charge of so much of what is being manufactured? They've only ended up in this position because it's been cheap to make things there, not because it's better quality or because it's a nice place.
And there's no paranoia, go and learn a bit about what's going on in China, look at how much technology China has stolen or otherwise illegally obtained over the years. Not that long ago, foreign companies that wanted to set up a business in China had to transfer technology rights to the Chinese government, or they were not allowed to operate in China. The foreign entity wasn't allowed to own more than 49% of the company and a lot of businesses lost their entire operation there due to this. It's a nation that is rotten to the core.

That said, I'm no Trump supporter. Nor do I support Putin. But to say that the Chinese tech companies are needed is a lie.

That said, I'm no Trump supporter. Nor do I support Putin. But to say that the Chinese tech companies are needed is a lie.

In case I missed something, Putin (or Russia or Silovik in general) has stake in current sanction against Chinese companies?

System Name Main
Processor 8700K
Motherboard Maximus Hero X
Cooling EVGA 280 CLC w/ Noctua silent fans
Memory 2x8GB 3600/16
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080TI Hybrid

The joke/funny thing is also going to be how easily Trump wins re-election thanks to decades of people shilling for China and selling their political souls to them.

And the war over who has the bigger dick, Trump or Xi Jinping, continues...

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
LOL,.... only a big LOL. And the not so funny part is that these kind of decisions are not even a surprise. I mean, just blacklist everything Chinese and let Chinese do the same with US companies already.

LOL,.... only a big LOL. And the not so funny part is that these kind of decisions are not even a surprise. I mean, just blacklist everything Chinese and let Chinese do the same with US companies already.

I agree. This piecemeal crap is for scoring political points only and what happens when countries lack good leaders.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Much needed for what exactly?
I have no need for them. I would much rather that Japan, Taiwan, India, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam and other Asian countries took over from China, or why not move some of it back to North America or Europe?
What is good with China being in charge of so much of what is being manufactured? They've only ended up in this position because it's been cheap to make things there, not because it's better quality or because it's a nice place.
And there's no paranoia, go and learn a bit about what's going on in China, look at how much technology China has stolen or otherwise illegally obtained over the years. Not that long ago, foreign companies that wanted to set up a business in China had to transfer technology rights to the Chinese government, or they were not allowed to operate in China. The foreign entity wasn't allowed to own more than 49% of the company and a lot of businesses lost their entire operation there due to this. It's a nation that is rotten to the core.

The neoliberal forces that cheered China's destruction of their home nations' manufacturing capabilities so that they could profit, are now the same ones demanding that China stop doing what made them rich. Of course, they're not demanding it because it makes sense, but because it gets them votes. After all, they're not going to be affected economically either way, so why do they care? Once they get into government, they can simply claim it costs too much, and poof, another election promise thrown by the wayside just like their integrity.

The only way manufacturing comes back to the West is if it's done entirely by robots, and since that doesn't create jobs, it's unlikely to be welcomed and hence supported.

Eastern Asian nations are likely to start taking on some of China's manufacturing capability but China has literally spent decades focusing solely on building up the infrastructure to be the world's production house. Even with massive Western investment, nations such as Vietnam simply aren't going to be able to scale up to those levels; not now, not ever.

India might be able to fill the Chinese gap in terms of size and numbers, and it's probably in the world's best interest for it to do so - but India also has a problem with Muslims, just like China. It's not at internment camp levels yet, but do you really want to have to choose between having your motherboard manufactured by a nation that treats an ethnic minority like prisoners, or by one that treats them slightly less badly?

At this point, all we can really hope is that the nationalists and neoliberals are replaced by saner people who aren't intent on having power for power's sake... before they start the war to end all wars.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
And I guess all the Trump haters would rather him just lie down and let China do as it will like his predecessors have.

You may not like him personally or the way he does things BUT at least he's doing something vs all the rest which have done exactly squat about it up until now. Maybe you don't agree with it and that's fine, even if it doesn't work at least it's a tangible attempt to do so which is more than what's happened up until now, successful or not.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
A lot of people seem to forget it was the previous, Obama administration that started moving against Huawei. It's not about Trump. I have wondered why so many larger Chinese companies haven't been targeted yet.

I don't think it's wise mind you. Wars tend to get ugly. Diplomacy often works better. The more China is targeted, the more hostile it becomes.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
A lot of people seem to forget it was the previous, Obama administration that started moving against Huawei. It's not about Trump. I have wondered why so many larger Chinese companies haven't been targeted yet.

TBH I was never aware of that nor ever heard anything about it.
However if thats really is true Trump is just following up on what Obama did, taking it further.

I don't think it's wise mind you. Wars tend to get ugly. Diplomacy often works better. The more China is targeted, the more hostile it becomes.
Problem with that is China will become more aggressive over time anyway, history has shown it as fact so whether someone stands up to them or not is a non-issue about it.
With all those little islands they are making to extend their military influence as examples and so on, It's not a matter of them being targeted that will make them more aggressive, more like enboldened to do so by success with their agenda.

The more progress they make the more they'll do like other regimes have done in the past and it's just human nature to push things to see how far one can go.....
Like it was in school and you were the class clown - Always testing the edge of things just to see if you can get away with it or not and you already know the consequenses of failure.

Isn't China already too aggressive with its neighbors? Every now and then I keep hearing them having some problems with India, Japan, Vietnam, etc. If USA wants to keep China in check, I doubt it'll be a very bad decision.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
If you consider how many 'outposts' the old empires of Europe and the US have a across the globe, and consider the displacement of indiginous people by said acts, it's naive to see China as the sole aggressor. Yes, it's a very intolerant government with an atrocious human rights record. But it's not alone. Saudi, the UK and the US's biggest arms customer is one of the worst in the world. But damn, those pounds and dollars....

I just find the binary, West is good, China bad mantra , a tad tedious and ill-informed.

Isn't China already too aggressive with its neighbors? Every now and then I keep hearing them having some problems with India, Japan, Vietnam, etc. If USA wants to keep China in check, I doubt it'll be a very bad decision.

Japan used Chinese women as rape prisoners in WW2. Go Google it. China was trampled on for centuries.

Edit: FTR, I'd never choose to live in China. Beautiful country spoiled by its government.

Last edited:
System Name Home
Processor Ryzen 3600X
Motherboard MSI Tomahawk 450 MAX
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz DDR4 CAS 16
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700XT EVOKE OC
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB
Display(s) ASUS VA326HR + MSI Optix G24C4
Case MSI - MAG Forge 100M
Power Supply Aerocool Lux RGB M 650W
Not that long ago, foreign companies that wanted to set up a business in China had to transfer technology rights to the Chinese government, or they were not allowed to operate in China. The foreign entity wasn't allowed to own more than 49% of the company and a lot of businesses lost their entire operation there due to this. It's a nation that is rotten to the core.
From what I know, that's still a requirement in place, right now.

In the short term, I think this economic war is bad news, especially to consumers. In the short long term, it forces the West to be less dependent on a single country, which should be beneficial. We all now competition and free markets are good, right.

Trump is definitely a moron, but maybe it's better to start this economic war sooner than later.

Last edited:
but India also has a problem with Muslims
Yeah if only the Empire didn't leave that massive shite behind called the Partition :rolleyes:

And FYI a lot of the issues we have right now is pandering to what is perceived as the PC culture, especially with Congress at the helm. Not to mention the issues with Pak sponsored state terrorism ~ yes this is why there's a lot more friction than in the past. It's not like India has been independent for 73 years & the issues with Muslims have mostly crept in only in the past decade or two, yeah BJP has something to do with it so has that BS global WoT & of course everyone's favorite word salad Jihad.

When you're making a point at least know what you're talking about!

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
I just find the binary, West is good, China bad mantra , a tad tedious and ill-informed.

Japan used Chinese women as rape prisoners in WW2. Go Google it. China was trampled on for centuries.

Edit: FTR, I'd never choose to live in China. Beautiful country spoiled by its government.

Exactly this. Replace China with Japan, Russia, India and it all works.

Tribalism,. the "US versus THEM" mentality is what ultimately driving all these rage induced discussions.

Independent critical thinking takes effort, most of the time folks would rather be lazy and reduce ourselves to simply binary thinking.

FWIW, Chinese government pulled one the world largest population off poverty. Maybe not so evil for those several generations of people who were struggling on the death line.

The vast majority of them ethnic Hans, whilst suppressing minorities like Uighurs, Tibetans et al with an iron fist. But of course you know that, then there's this ~

China cuts Uighur births with IUDs, abortion, sterilization

Tell me how does it feel comparing large scale internment reeducation caps to whatever else other countries are doing atm :rolleyes:

Yes a lot of nations on the planet are no better than others with their systemic faults, including what I'd call is the secular divide over here. Then going on to justify what China is doing at an industrial scale, yup can see the great logic there :wtf:

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
The neoliberal forces that cheered China's destruction of their home nations' manufacturing capabilities so that they could profit, are now the same ones demanding that China stop doing what made them rich. Of course, they're not demanding it because it makes sense, but because it gets them votes. After all, they're not going to be affected economically either way, so why do they care? Once they get into government, they can simply claim it costs too much, and poof, another election promise thrown by the wayside just like their integrity.

The only way manufacturing comes back to the West is if it's done entirely by robots, and since that doesn't create jobs, it's unlikely to be welcomed and hence supported.

Eastern Asian nations are likely to start taking on some of China's manufacturing capability but China has literally spent decades focusing solely on building up the infrastructure to be the world's production house. Even with massive Western investment, nations such as Vietnam simply aren't going to be able to scale up to those levels; not now, not ever.

India might be able to fill the Chinese gap in terms of size and numbers, and it's probably in the world's best interest for it to do so - but India also has a problem with Muslims, just like China. It's not at internment camp levels yet, but do you really want to have to choose between having your motherboard manufactured by a nation that treats an ethnic minority like prisoners, or by one that treats them slightly less badly?

At this point, all we can really hope is that the nationalists and neoliberals are replaced by saner people who aren't intent on having power for power's sake... before they start the war to end all wars.

This. Although I do believe much of the work is automated already and human hands are still required. Its an overestimation of the state of robot tech to think it can take over entirely. Parts are possible already today... but many parts are also not... and a robotized industry also needs hands.

The shift to new work is something that will be slow and with some moments of acceleration. We saw this with the internet. Its still ongoing. And some jobs are actually flowing back to the real world as well. The trend however is still that we're going to be more people and less 'required' work to be done as time goes on. That will inevitably shift the production power away from China. These statements about moving production... it will happen... but the economy of it is the deciding factor - not politics. We saw this with the COVID crisis and still do - economy first. Everywhere. Notably also in India, where as we speak they suffer the highest count of new infections per day worldwide, and lack testing capacity, and public / crowd control measures. Overcrowded cities, bad hygiene in large parts of the population... but the government can't maintain lockdowns as everything would collapse.

This war to end all wars... I feel you. Something is brewing, events are mounting up everywhere and from all sorts of new angles. Its going to be interesting if we're really willing to spend immense resources to fight over.... resources - a number of which are finite. So far, I see a lot of reluctance, except on a smaller - or proxy - kind of scale. Like the Middle East/Syria and now recently Turkey and Greece, who are showing muscle in the Mediterranean Sea at this time. These are NATO allies.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
Okay, back to SMIC.

Does anybody care to discuss the technology of government sponsored espionage and backdoors?

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
China was fine until Xi Jinping came along - just like America was fine until Trump, and Britain was fine until Cameron, and India was fine until Modi, and and and...

The common thread is the direction in which these wannabe dictators and their parties lean.

Today it's possible to have a world where nobody starves, nobody dies due to inadequate healthcare, nobody has to worry about being kicked out of their home, nobody has to worry about affording heating in winter... but as long as the various factions are able to convince their supporters that it's better to fight than share, we'll never be able to achieve that world.

That's why Elon Musk wants to go to Mars. To start a new society, one free of these sins of greed.

China was fine until Xi Jinping came along - just like America was fine until Trump, and Britain was fine until Cameron, and India was fine until Modi, and and and...
You're kidding, were you born yesterday or what? China was not fine until Xi, nor was the US of A till Trump, UK till Cameron or India till Modi.
If you seriously believe that then you're even more ignorant than I thought :shadedshu:

This has been brewing for decades even centuries, just that with the growing income inequality & now nCoV it's just gone to an extreme that is hard to ignore!

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Okay, back to SMIC.

Does anybody care to discuss the technology of government sponsored espionage and backdoors?

What is there to discuss other than the political (and just overall influence on the state of the world) aspect of it, I wonder. We all know espionage happens on both sides, and we know nothing of the details. Gonna be a brief discussion.

The common thread is the direction in which these wannabe dictators and their parties lean.

Today it's possible to have a world where nobody starves, nobody dies due to inadequate healthcare, nobody has to worry about being kicked out of their home, nobody has to worry about affording heating in winter... but as long as the various factions are able to convince their supporters that it's better to fight than share, we'll never be able to achieve that world.

That's why Elon Musk wants to go to Mars. To start a new society, one free of these sins of greed.

Yeah we all just gotta go watch Star Trek and see how its done. And I'm only half joking.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
Motherboard AsRock X370 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H60 Liquid Cooling
Memory 16 GB CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 3000 Mhz (Running at 2933)
Video Card(s) EVGA FTW2 GTX 1070Ti
Storage 740GB of SSDs, 7 TB's of HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UD58P-B 27” IPS 4K
Case Phanteks Enthos Pro M
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply EVGA 750 P2
Mouse Mionix Naos 8200
Keyboard G Skill Ripjaws RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro
Doesn't bother me one bit.