• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Performance Slide of RTX 3090 Ampere Leaks, 100% RTX Performance Gain Over Turing

That entirely depends on what you're looking for. Rasterization can't do lighting or reflections like RTRT can. GI can be faked to a certain extent, but it's (at least up until now) extremely expensive. Screen space reflections are great, until you're looking at something reflective that ought to be reflecting off-screen objects or scenery, yet suddenly isn't. Did you notice how there is nothing reflective in the UE5 demo? That isn't an accident, and I would imagine one of the first add-ons (or just most used optional features) for UE5 being RTRT reflections, as that would serve to complete the otherwise excellent looking package. You don't necessarily notice these things in play, but you obviously might. Control is an excellent example of the settings feeling more realistic when RTRT is added. That obviously doesn't mean that there arent/won't be bad RTRT implementations that don't add anything of real value - there definitely will be! - but the technology nonetheless has the potential to surpass anything possible with rasterization in certain aspects. Full scene RTRT is unnecessary and likely of little real benefit, but selective use of the tech can provide good IQ improvements, even relative to the performance cost, when used in the right way in the right games. On the other hand, some games don't benefit from this whatsoever, and should really skip it. As is the case with all kinds of graphical features.

You can do good reflections ala Gears 5. We need better looking hair and trees and textures and so much more than lighting imo. I'd like a 32GB VRAM card instead of an RT card. There is so much wasted silicon with the latest cards.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
You can do good reflections ala Gears 5. We need better looking hair and trees and textures and so much more than lighting imo. I'd like a 32GB VRAM card instead of an RT card. There is so much wasted silicon with the latest cards.
"Good reflections" doesn't contradict what I said. As I said in the very post you quoted: screen space reflections are great, until you're looking at something reflective that ought to be reflecting off-screen objects or scenery. And that is the type of thing that can have a dramatic effect on immersion when you notice it, as it makes the gameworld feel all that much more real and less artificial.

Besides, scaling rasterization much higher would put massive pressure on the memory subsystem, which would be problematic in and of itself. There's plenty of improvements to rasterization to be had in these GPUs already, asking for more is just asking for a memory bottleneck.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
And that's what RT will eventually enable: when you get reflections, ambient occlusion for free, you'll have more HP at your disposal to throw at geometry. But not just yet when games are still mostly about rasterizing with a little RT on top.

I'm not even sure why we're discussing this, it's not like RT is a gimmick Nvidia pulled out of their hat yesterday. RT has been the choice for professional rendering for decades. Because it produces superior results.

Free you mean allocating silicone space and resources to integrating it in place of other hardware. Look I installed a supercharger on the engine and am charging you more for it's "free performance" enjoy comrade.

And that's what RT will eventually enable: when you get reflections, ambient occlusion for free, you'll have more HP at your disposal to throw at geometry. But not just yet when games are still mostly about rasterizing with a little RT on top.

I'm not even sure why we're discussing this, it's not like RT is a gimmick Nvidia pulled out of their hat yesterday. RT has been the choice for professional rendering for decades. Because it produces superior results.
it produces inferior results, we are playing in real time, not offline... ugh... anyways the RT believers are not worth arguing with

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
it produces inferior results, we are playing in real time, not offline... ugh... anyways the RT believers are not worth arguing with
No, it doesn't. Read up on it, there's many free papers on the subject.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Based on TPU review of Control. RTX on will cut 2080Ti performance to half in 1080p

Without DLSS, 2080Ti gets about 100FPS avg at 1080p, 50fps avg at RTX 1080P.

So now RTX3090 gets about 100 fps on RTX 1080p (>2X from this chart)

That means RTX3090 needs at least 200FPS on regulation 1080p, that is without RTX. Of course this is assuming no RT efficiency improvement. Let's assume there is some major RT effieceny improvement so instead of 0.5X performance penalty we have 0.7X performance penalty. Then RTX3090 would be running 133FPS to 150FPS without RTX. So a 30% to 50% performance uplift in non-RTX games. Also we have 5248 versus 4352 CUDA core. So CUDA core increase by itself should give at least 20% performance in nonRTX

That is just some quick napkin math. I am more leaning towards 30%~35% performance increase. But there is a good chance that I am wrong
Sorry, you lost me at 1080p, damn that eternal resolution, it'll outlive NTSC.