• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung Foundry to Become Sole Manufacturer of Qualcomm Snapdragon 875 on 5 nm EUV Manufacturing Process

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Rumors fresh of South Korean shores claim that Samsung has snagged a position as sole provider for Qualcomm's Snapdragon 875 SoC on its 5 nm EUV manufacturing process. The reason for this, according to a supposed industry insider, boiled down to money (as it almost always does): Samsung simply offered lower pricing for chips manufactured under its 5 nm EUV process than TSMC did. The deal has been claimed to be worth some $840M. This makes sense, as Samsung has a considerable product portfolio - including lucrative memory fabrication - from which it can pool resources so as to lower pricing for new manufacturing technologies, whereas TSMC can only count on revenues it brings in from contracted silicon manufacturing deals.

Samsung's 5 nm EUV will still offer the now tried-and-true FinFet transistor design - next-generation GAAFET (gate all-around FET) are reserved for the companies' 3 nm efforts. This piece of news directly contradicts Digitimes' earlier reporting on Qualcomm leaving Samsung as a foundry partner due to lower than adequate yields for Samsung's 5 nm EUV. With Samsung already manufacturing NVIDIA's Ampere on its 8 nm node, and now with a confirmed high-volume client with Qualcomm, this likely means more available capacity for other TSMC clients - of which we could mention AMD and Apple.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Sketchy.

A couple of weeks ago Samsung was proudly announcing how they plan to make the best SoCs out there after falling behind with each passing year against Qualcomm. Part of that was because Qualcomm was using TSMC's nodes which were always superior, now suddenly we find out they're all going to be on equal footing.

Hmmm ... OK.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Coming so soon after the news that Samsung got NVIDIA, that's a pretty big win - but I wonder if the power characteristics of Samsung's 5nm are going to be equivalent to or better than TSMC's. I'm inclined to say no, which is not really a problem for NVIDIA but is definitely a concern for mobile devices. Perhaps Qualcomm is shooting itself in the foot here or perhaps TSMC is essentially becoming an Apple-only foundry? Considering what has happened to previous Apple partners (IBM, Intel, Imagination Technologies) it might be wise for TSMC not to be too short-sighted in chasing after profits, versus going for a diverse client base.

If TSMC really is that more expensive than going with a relatively unproven fab like Samsung, I'm expecting to see news of AMD CPUs and/or GPUs being manufactured by Samsung sooner or later. AMD does have some announcements coming up next month, so perhaps...

Sketchy.

A couple of weeks ago Samsung was proudly announcing how they plan to make the best SoCs out there after falling behind with each passing year against Qualcomm. Part of that was because Qualcomm was using TSMC's nodes which were always superior, now suddenly we find out they're all going to be on equal footing.

Hmmm ... OK.

Nah, Snapdragon has always simply been a better design than Exynos. No process node advantage is going to magically make the latter good, at this point Exynos is merely a money-draining point of misplaced pride for Samsung.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Nah, Snapdragon has always simply been a better design than Exynos. No process node advantage is going to magically make the latter good, at this point Exynos is merely a money-draining point of misplaced pride for Samsung.

The node difference definitely has something to do with it. Even though other SoCs used similar CPU cores or GPUs they were all more power efficient than Samsung's, even Apple rather famously used both TSMC and Samsung to source the same SoC once and Samsung's was considerably worse.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
@Assimilator I think you misunderstand how big TSMC is. Sure, Apple could potentially have "bought out" the entire 5nm node production for now, considering they're moving to ARM based processors in so many more SKUs of their products. However, TSMC is never going to be an Apple only foundry, it's simply not in their best interest.
TSMC also has a lot of fabs and Apple wouldn't even want to produce on some of the nodes that TSMC manufacturers at.

System Name Firelance.
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
@Assimilator I think you misunderstand how big TSMC is. Sure, Apple could potentially have "bought out" the entire 5nm node production for now, considering they're moving to ARM based processors in so many more SKUs of their products. However, TSMC is never going to be an Apple only foundry, it's simply not in their best interest.
TSMC also has a lot of fabs and Apple wouldn't even want to produce on some of the nodes that TSMC manufacturers at.

I know full well that TSMC has many fabs on many different nodes, but I'd expect that the majority of their cash comes from their smallest and newest nodes where they can charge a premium (necessary to cover the higher costs of the tech and R&D for said nodes).

And even if it doesn't, if they were to "bet the farm" on Apple taking all their newest node capacity and then get shafted, they'd be sitting with a massive amount of the most expensive node capacity idling. That's a big one, since node manufacturing contracts aren't particularly short-term or flexible.

Unfortunately, "best interests" sometimes take a back seat, particularly when executive compensation is tied to short-term profits.

I know full well that TSMC has many fabs on many different nodes, but I'd expect that the majority of their cash comes from their smallest and newest nodes where they can charge a premium (necessary to cover the higher costs of the tech and R&D for said nodes).

And even if it doesn't, if they were to "bet the farm" on Apple taking all their newest node capacity and then get shafted, they'd be sitting with a massive amount of the most expensive node capacity idling. That's a big one, since node manufacturing contracts aren't particularly short-term or flexible.

Unfortunately, "best interests" sometimes take a back seat, particularly when executive compensation is tied to short-term profits.

What would Apple produce? Why would they want all of 5nm? What are they going to sell? TSMC's capacity far exceeds one vendor.

System Name Firelance.
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
What would Apple produce? Why would they want all of 5nm? What are they going to sell? TSMC's capacity far exceeds one vendor.

If TSMC's cutting-edge node capacity wasn't constrained, we wouldn't have news articles about it, nor would we have mobile SoC vendors (where power is most critical) switching to a less-proven manufacturer.

And Apple is Apple, they don't have to produce anything. If they decide to buy all of TSMC's cutting-edge node capacity (and not use it) just to prevent Qualcomm et al from having it, do you think TSMC would care?

If TSMC's cutting-edge node capacity wasn't constrained, we wouldn't have news articles about it, nor would we have mobile SoC vendors (where power is most critical) switching to a less-proven manufacturer.

And Apple is Apple, they don't have to produce anything. If they decide to buy all of TSMC's cutting-edge node capacity (and not use it) just to prevent Qualcomm et al from having it, do you think TSMC would care?

Of course it's constrained. It's not infinite. But it vastly exceeds one vendor's leading edge products.

System Name Home
Processor Ryzen 3600X
Motherboard MSI Tomahawk 450 MAX
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz DDR4 CAS 16
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700XT EVOKE OC
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB
Display(s) ASUS VA326HR + MSI Optix G24C4
Case MSI - MAG Forge 100M
Power Supply Aerocool Lux RGB M 650W
If TSMC really is that more expensive than going with a relatively unproven fab like Samsung, I'm expecting to see news of AMD CPUs and/or GPUs being manufactured by Samsung sooner or later. AMD does have some announcements coming up next month, so perhaps...
Samsung is a huge company, they don't need to make money out of the foundry business yet.
Their price not only is lower, but they also offer special conditions, like the deal they have offered Nvidia where they are selling them only the good chips, not the whole wafer. This makes is a pretty sweet deal financially, with the only risk being availability, but I imagine that they can invest in order to improve yields. Also, from what I understand, the Samsung 5nm node is not so advanced compared to the 8 nm, which should mean that the risk isn't huge either.

Anyway, the fact that Samsung keeps investing and getting deals for the foundry is good for the market, it's keeping it sane and competitive. we wouldn't want a market in which there is only one well-performing foundry, it wouldn't be very good for the final users.

System Name Firelance.
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Samsung is a huge company, they don't need to make money out of the foundry business yet.
Their price not only is lower, but they also offer special conditions, like the deal they have offered Nvidia where they are selling them only the good chips, not the whole wafer. This makes is a pretty sweet deal financially, with the only risk being availability, but I imagine that they can invest in order to improve yields. Also, from what I understand, the Samsung 5nm node is not so advanced compared to the 8 nm, which should mean that the risk isn't huge either.

Anyway, the fact that Samsung keeps investing and getting deals for the foundry is good for the market, it's keeping it sane and competitive. we wouldn't want a market in which there is only one well-performing foundry, it wouldn't be very good for the final users.

Oh, I'm by no means upset that Samsung is getting a piece of the pie - especially since GloFo flopped so spectacularly. It's just that NVIDIA using Samsung for all of their consumer Ampere GPU production was very out of left field, especially considering that big green last used Samsung for lower-end Pascal parts, and skipped it entirely for Turing. But yeah, not being charged for defective dies - especially on a chip as large and complex as GA102 - is obviously a big financial win for NVIDIA.

It's just that until now, Samsung didn't really have any big orders from big US semiconductor designers. Now they've got two (NVIDIA and Qualcomm) in a relatively short period of time. While the financial incentive is definitely there, the conspiracy theorist in me wonders if US semiconductor companies are anticipating a China-Taiwan conflict that would impact supply lines...

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
well given how the Snapdragon version of the Note 20 Ultra outperform the Exynos version (and that with a cheaper cooling solution : simple graphite pad versus vapor chamber)by ~ 20%

Samsung should drop all the Exynos manufacturing line and prioritise Qualcomm :laugh: ....

that's quite a laugh to get a Note 20 Ultra same price, which is already too high for what it is, as the other one, but getting an Exynos instead of a SD ....

Coming so soon after the news that Samsung got NVIDIA, that's a pretty big win - but I wonder if the power characteristics of Samsung's 5nm are going to be equivalent to or better than TSMC's. I'm inclined to say no, which is not really a problem for NVIDIA but is definitely a concern for mobile devices. Perhaps Qualcomm is shooting itself in the foot here or perhaps TSMC is essentially becoming an Apple-only foundry? Considering what has happened to previous Apple partners (IBM, Intel, Imagination Technologies) it might be wise for TSMC not to be too short-sighted in chasing after profits, versus going for a diverse client base.

I feel the main driver for people moving away from TSMC is likely the cost. I recalled there were some articles out there to say that the SD 865 is actually expensive to manufacture, thus, we see high mobile device prices. Not too sure about the power characteristic of Samsung vs TSMC 5nm, but considering that TSMC is more sought after by those with deep pockets, I would assume TSMC's fab should be better. Otherwise, I feel Intel would have gone with Samsung as well, instead of TSMC's 6nm.

In the short run, I doubt AMD will move anything to Samsung, from TSMC. I sense AMD's strategy to keep cost down at TSMC is to not go with the cutting edge fab, but instead let the bigger players like Apple take the lead. They will then fill in the gap when Apple and big players move on to the newer fab.

System Name Firelance.
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
that's quite a laugh to get a Note 20 Ultra same price, which is already too high for what it is, as the other one, but getting an Exynos instead of a SD ....

TBH, if you're dumb enough to spend that much on a phone, you deserve to get ripped off regardless of who's making it or what's in it.

But I agree, European customers getting stuck with the POS Exynos while the rest of the world gets the much better Snapdragon is BS. If it was the USA, Samsung would've already been sued.

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
TBH, if you're dumb enough to spend that much on a phone, you deserve to get ripped off regardless of who's making it or what's in it.

aye, i fully agree on that ... which is why my last Samsung phone was a SGS2

(i love my TCL 10 Pro midrange price and spec , flagship build and serve me well for anything i could ask of it )

System Name BUBSTER
Processor I7 13700K (6.1 GHZ XTU OC)
Motherboard Z690 Gigabyte Aorus Elite Pro
Cooling Arctic Freezer II 360 RGB
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 4800MHz 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 3070 Super Dual OC
Storage Kingston KC 3000 PCIE4 1Tb + 2 Kingston KC 3000 1TB PCIE4 RAID 0 + 4 TB Crucial gen 4 +12 TB HDD
Display(s) Sony Bravia A85 j OLED
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX II
Power Supply Corsair AX 850 Titanium
Mouse Corsair Gaming M65 Pro RGB + Razr Taipan
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Flare Cherry MX Red + Corsair Gaming K65 lux RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Nobody mentioned this but the Chinese have been making strides as semiconductors and chip manufacturing...last i read a couple weeks ago that their main chip manufactures are being sanctioned by the US Gov. while the other manufacturers from Korea or Taiwan are fully booked...