• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NETGEAR Announces Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR1000 WiFi 6 Router

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
NETGEAR, Inc., the leading provider of networking products that empower your gaming experience, has announced the much anticipated availability of the new Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR1000 WiFi 6 AX5400 router. The XR1000 couples next-gen WiFi 6 hardware with advanced DumaOS 3.0, the latest innovation in managing your network settings for optimized gameplay. DumaOS 3.0 software is purpose built for gamers to enjoy superior gameplay and smoother video streaming. This state-of-the-art software combined with the most advanced networking hardware ensures stabilization of ping and reduction of lag spikes with reliable connectivity over both wired and wireless networks.

The Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR1000 is the first WiFi 6 gaming router powered by DumaOS 3.0 gaming software. With the latest WiFi 6 technology, XR1000 is designed specifically to improve performance and reduce network latency when it comes to the gaming environment but will also enhance the overall home networking experience for every connected device. To further boost the gaming experience and give gamers the best gaming connection possible, the DumaOS 3.0 software includes new top features, such as: customizable Geo-Fencing, Ping Heatmap, Application QoS with Bandwidth Allocation, Connection Benchmark, and Traffic Controller. This new Nighthawk Pro Gaming router stands alone with its advanced list of features, which provide optimized control over the network connection while gaming or streaming, ensuring that gameplay can continue uninterrupted.

New Features powered by DumaOS 3.0:
  • Bandwidth Allocation (QoS)—Prioritizes gaming devices and allocates bandwidth per device or application.
  • Geo Fencing—Customizes and filters which game servers you play on for an elevated gaming experience. No longer simply a spherical aperture with wasted area, this newly updated feature provides the capability to draw customized shapes with up to 47 angles.
  • Ping Heatmap—Pings your favorite game servers to display your connection quality to each server on a World Map.
  • Connection Benchmark—Tests your connection's speed, ping, & performance under peak congestion.
  • Traffic Controller—Blocks traffic by device or application on a schedule.
Understanding the distinct challenges gamers face with their networks, NETGEAR first introduced the Nighthawk Pro Gaming line of routers in 2018 featuring DumaOS as an advanced dashboard for both analytics and control over how the network performs and impacts the gaming experience.

"NETGEAR is pleased to introduce the latest addition to the Nighthawk Pro Gaming Franchise developed to enhance the online gaming experience and provide improved network performance for an entire household of connected devices," said David Henry, senior vice president of Connected Home Products for NETGEAR. "Nighthawk has long been trusted as a performance line of routers that can be depended on for online gaming. Now with the DumaOS 3.0 software and the ultimate WiFi 6 hardware solution, the network will be equipped to handle the load of multiple streaming screens and gaming platforms without compromising on bandwidth or ping rates."

As demand for online entertainment via streaming and gaming has increased, the new Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR1000 WiFi 6 AX5400 router addresses a growing market need for robust WiFi connectivity that is expected to continue to expand according to current industry research.

"Video games are one of the primary ways friends and family are staying connected through a difficult time," said Mat Piscatella, U.S. video games industry analyst, The NPD Group. "The growth in both the number of players across all gaming segments, as well as time spent gaming or watching gaming-related content, reflects the variety and depth of gaming experiences available regardless of device preferences, gaming interests or budget1."

As more gamers move online, often leveraging multiple connected platforms at once while gaming, the main challenges that threaten interruption of these online gaming experiences today are latency, congested networks, and internet connection speeds. The Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR1000 WiFi 6 router is designed with the capacity to improve the WiFi performance by up to 40% and reduce the ping rates up to 93% under a congested network, which fundamentally resolves the primary pain points for gamers and provides the best gaming experience possible.

WiFi 6 is the next generation of WiFi technology. Focused on increased capacity, WiFi 6 can manage a household full of connected devices. The technology is now included in many new devices including the flagship phone releases of top manufacturers and has also been confirmed to be included in the latest gaming platforms, such as the new Sony PlayStation 5.

Joining the highly acclaimed award-winning Nighthawk Pro Gaming line up, the new XR1000 is the best gaming solution for all your home network needs. With households impacted by working, learning and entertaining from home, networks have become strained with the demands of numerous screens streaming simultaneously. The congested network environment is not well suited for online gaming where the slightest of delays or interruptions could mean the end of a session. WiFi 6 (802.11ax) is designed to address the new challenges of modern households with their abundance of connected devices that are vying for network bandwidth. With faster, more reliable connections and a 4X increase in capacity, the dual-band WiFi 6 AX5400 allows for more devices to connect and stream simultaneously, without impacting speed or reliability. The Five (5) 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit Ethernet ports (1 WAN and 4 LAN) and powerful 1.50 GHz Triple-Core processor support more devices for better VR gaming, 4K streaming and more while boosting both wireless, wired, and USB performance.

With heightened online activity, the importance of protecting your network and privacy comes to the forefront. Now available on the Nighthawk Pro gaming XR1000 router, NETGEAR Armor cybersecurity is the most advanced cyber threat protection for your home network and connected devices. Activation includes a free 30-day trial, after the trial period, a yearly subscription of $69.99 USD is required to continue the service. NETGEAR Armor customers can upgrade their VPN from the free 200 MB of encrypted data traffic per day per device to unlimited encrypted data traffic for an additional yearly subscription of $39.99 USD.

Pricing and Availability
The Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR1000 WiFi 6 AX5400 router is now available for $349.99 USD from NETGEAR.com and other online retailers.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
So much text, so little information.
I guess "gamers" don't care about specs... :rolleyes:
Based on what's in the press release, this is already outdated, as it looks like it's using Broadcom's triple core Cortex-A7 SoC.
Also, not a single port over 1Gbps in a $350 router is just a joke.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
So much text, so little information.
I guess "gamers" don't care about specs... :rolleyes:
Based on what's in the press release, this is already outdated, as it looks like it's using Broadcom's triple core Cortex-A7 SoC.
Also, not a single port over 1Gbps in a $350 router is just a joke.

What would you recommend to me for a router? I don't want to be spending stupid amounts but I want with decent wifi and more control over my Telus branded router.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
What would you recommend to me for a router? I don't want to be spending stupid amounts but I want with decent wifi and more control over my Telus branded router.
Price range? Any specific features you want?
I have an "old" Netgear Nighthawk X4S/R7800 that has been rock solid for years. It's still receiving software updates from Netgear and it has great third party firmware support from Voxel.
Never owned a more stable router. Not had to reboot it once due to it crapping out for no reason. The only time it gets restarted is if there's a firmware update.
Doesn't seem to be available in Canada any more, but it's quite cheap on Amazon in the US https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-R7800-100NAS-Nighthawk-Ethernet-Compatible/dp/B0192911RA/

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
They can spell it DumaOS but i'm still going to read it as Dumass. :roll:

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
Price range? Any specific features you want?
I have an "old" Netgear Nighthawk X4S/R7800 that has been rock solid for years. It's still receiving software updates from Netgear and it has great third party firmware support from Voxel.
Never owned a more stable router. Not had to reboot it once due to it crapping out for no reason. The only time it gets restarted is if there's a firmware update.
Doesn't seem to be available in Canada any more, but it's quite cheap on Amazon in the US https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-R7800-100NAS-Nighthawk-Ethernet-Compatible/dp/B0192911RA/

well, i want a QoS that doesnt suck like my router. Plus I need something that will be having to reach a distance to my garage as well (I will be getting a second one for the garage to act as a bridge).

Plus the one telus gave us is starting to show many issues like constant wifi drop and if I dont artificially limit the DL speeds of lets say epic game store, the whole network goes to heck.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
well, i want a QoS that doesnt suck like my router. Plus I need something that will be having to reach a distance to my garage as well (I will be getting a second one for the garage to act as a bridge).

Plus the one telus gave us is starting to show many issues like constant wifi drop and if I dont artificially limit the DL speeds of lets say epic game store, the whole network goes to heck.
Mine is about four years old now, not had a single issue with it, range is the same as when I got it, which is very good. I have a lot of weird limitations due to living in a three storey concrete, metal and rebar house, but weirdly enough I get a signal in the parking garage under the house, but not on the third floor in the house. :rolleyes:
Still, look for something using QCA ARM based processors if you can't get the R7800, they tend to be a bit more pricey, but I have never had a router that has been as stable as this one.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
Mine is about four years old now, not had a single issue with it, range is the same as when I got it, which is very good. I have a lot of weird limitations due to living in a three storey concrete, metal and rebar house, but weirdly enough I get a signal in the parking garage under the house, but not on the third floor in the house. :rolleyes:
Still, look for something using QCA ARM based processors if you can't get the R7800, they tend to be a bit more pricey, but I have never had a router that has been as stable as this one.

thanks for the advice. I will see if I can find your router on the used market. I am gonna give Telus a call and tell them I just want a modem and to forget the terrible router.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
thanks for the advice. I will see if I can find your router on the used market. I am gonna give Telus a call and tell them I just want a modem and to forget the terrible router.
Another option would be anything from Asus that Merlin supports.
Getting one of those, means that you're getting software support, which the manufacturers don't always give.
Those are all Broadcom based and in general have weaker SoCs than the QCA ARM based routers.
That said, something like the RT-AC68x should do the job, got one for my step mum, even though it's technically overkill for her usage.

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
Should just call it the "1337 h4x0r edition"

I'm going to have to pick up a new wifi router soon, but I'd really like something with a 10GBase-T or SFP+ is acceptable even though I loathe the expense of DAC cables, port to connect to my switch (Netgear XS728T) so I can still have good speeds to the server. I prefer wired when possible, but guests and family are all about connecting a their wireless devices when they come over (though with covid that's not so much lately)... The real trick will be if I can get a router with 10GBase-T without spending $400.... Seeing this one at $350 without even a 2.5/5Gbe port makes me worried. I'd even be willing to accept a USB 3.1 GEN 2 10 Gbps port and connect a 5GBase-T adapter to it, but so far I have seen a USB port like that on a single router

Last edited:

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro

I'm going to have to pick up a new wifi router soon, but I'd really like something with a 10GBase-T or SFP+ is acceptable even though I loathe the expense of DAC cables, port to connect to my switch (Netgear XS728T) so I can still have good speeds to the server. I prefer wired when possible, but guests and family are all about connecting a their wireless devices when they come over (though with covid that's not so much lately)... The real trick will be if I can get a router with 10GBase-T without spending $400.... Seeing this one at $350 without even a 2.5/5Gbe port makes me worried. I'd even be willing to accept a USB 3.1 GEN 2 10 Gbps port and connect a 5GBase-T adapter to it, but so far I have seen a USB port like that on a single router
Why do you need 10Gbps between the router and switch? I presume you don't have an internet connection that exceeds 1Gbps? No offence, but the US largely have terrible internet speeds, although I'm aware some places have faster than Gigabit Internet access.
You could get this for $250 with a 10Gbps SFP+ port https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Quad-Stream-Quad-core-Compatible/dp/B01M12RE4A/
Also supported by Voxel and his/her firmware has a lot of performance fixes for the wired side of the routers that are supported.

As @TheLostSwede said, the Netgear R7800 is probably the best router they've ever made as far is stability is concerned. I have synchronous 1Gigabit internet from Hyperoptic and I get about 630Mbps from the R7800 when using Wi-Fi. Admittedly I only use it as an access point and use pfSense for routing.
This thing is fairly old now but still does incredibly well and, unlike any other Netgear I've ever owned, is rock solid stable. You just don't ever have to reboot it and it maintains throughput.

You do know that your Netgear XS728T won't negotiate 2.5/5GbE I hope ;)

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
As @TheLostSwede said, the Netgear R7800 is probably the best router they've ever made as far is stability is concerned. I have synchronous 1Gigabit internet from Hyperoptic and I get about 630Mbps from the R7800 when using Wi-Fi. Admittedly I only use it as an access point and use pfSense for routing.
This thing is fairly old now but still does incredibly well and, unlike any other Netgear I've ever owned, is rock solid stable. You just don't ever have to reboot it and it maintains throughput.
I envy you, I lived across the street from a HyperOptic enabled area last time I lived in London. Our building only had BT fibre and it was meh. 200/30 for some obscene price and I couldn't justify their 300/50 service as it was close to £100 plus the line rental...