• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD RX 5700 Series Reportedly Enter EOL - No Longer Manufactured

it's about time, that's a terrible card, it's a damn heater. besides, it never processed all that well for it's price point.

Last edited:
Loved my 5700, for $280 it was a steal. I didn't have any issues with it and temps were fine with a nice little undervolt. I was tempted by raytracing :( and sold it, but i'm psyched for these rdna 2 cards and can't wait to see what they deliver.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Loved my 5700, for $280 it was a steal. I didn't have any issues with it and temps were fine with a nice little undervolt. I was tempted by raytracing :( and sold it, but i'm psyched for these rdna 2 cards and can't wait to see what they deliver.

How have you liked ray tracing? Impressed or no? I was never impressed with ray tracing, so I am going with RDNA2 personally.

In my opinion, RDNA is like a stop gap solution. The actual RDNA that AMD wanted to introduce is RDNA2. The first version is like a pipe clearer and also to help AMD regain some market share. In addition, you may also observed that future APUs are going to be RDNA2 which is another indication of it being a temporary solution. So I am not surprised that they will stop production once RDNA2 is introduced across all the market segments. The 5700 series is actually a great GPU, though marred by poor drivers at the onset and took AMD some time to fix most of it. I do observe driver bugs on my Vega GPU, but none that is a show stopper so far.

How have you liked ray tracing? Impressed or no? I was never impressed with ray tracing, so I am going with RDNA2 personally.

I like it for reflections, the limitations of ssr always annoyed me. all the other ray traced effects don't impress me. I'm definitely considering an RDNA2 card, especially since my TV's only VRR tech is Freesync.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
If they're confident of stock levels and consumer reaction to the new products this makes sense, maybe they've got so much stock because they stopped producing the 5700s early and pushed the resources to the new models?

System Name Home
Processor 5950x
Motherboard Asrock Taichi x370
Cooling Thermalright True Spirit 140
Memory Patriot 32gb DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6700 10gb
Storage Too many to count
Display(s) U2518D+u2417h
Case Chieftec
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply seasonic prime 1000W
Mouse Razer Viper
Keyboard Logitech
Software Windows 10
Amd doesn't really compete with Nvidia anymore in enthusiasts or average desktop PC users that want some GPU horse power but not pay a lot.
If you look at the market share they barely exists, so what they release now is the GPU from consoles pushed to the limits with probably very shaky drivers.
It might be a good architecture but for AMD it's a cash grab, a quick way to make some money but no real intention to actually compete with Nvidia.
They mimic some competition but they really don't care, i have a Polaris GPU ( sapphire rx480), bought it 4 years ago and they still didn't fix the fan problem, after some time you hear the fans spinning 100% and then 0, you reset the fans in the drivers and problem pops again after a day or two, it waits for the gpu to hit an absurd temperature, ramps up the fans to 100% then it goes to 0 and waits again.
The fix is custom fan curve but it resets after a day or two.
4 years and still no fix, this is really annoying and i rarely play games, who knows what problems they have in new titles and how much time passes before they fix the bugs.

5700 maybe "EOL" for "gamers" and "enthusiasts". AMD will milk that architecture for next decade, like they do with Polaris right now.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Amd doesn't really compete with Nvidia anymore in enthusiasts or average desktop PC users that want some GPU horse power but not pay a lot.
If you look at the market share they barely exists, so what they release now is the GPU from consoles pushed to the limits with probably very shaky drivers.
It might be a good architecture but for AMD it's a cash grab, a quick way to make some money but no real intention to actually compete with Nvidia.
They mimic some competition but they really don't care, i have a Polaris GPU ( sapphire rx480), bought it 4 years ago and they still didn't fix the fan problem, after some time you hear the fans spinning 100% and then 0, you reset the fans in the drivers and problem pops again after a day or two, it waits for the gpu to hit an absurd temperature, ramps up the fans to 100% then it goes to 0 and waits again.
4 years and still no fix, this is really annoying and i rarely play games, who knows what problems they have in new titles and how much time passes before they fix the bugs.
Still have a reference 480 in my server pc , it works fine, as it always has but it's not relevant here.
This is a fake rumour thread about 5700 going Eol which it isn't.
I'm off to play squadrons on my vega64 without issues while you have a think, is it me? , Perhaps it is, perhaps I should have been on topic at least once.
You are on about the right company at least,.

Oh and news flash Companies are built to make money, and tech companies do that by releasing tech to sell(Cash grab my ass).

System Name Vamos
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Dark Rock Slim
Memory 2x8GB XPG 3600MHz
Video Card(s) RX 5700 XT PowerColor
Storage WD SN550 1TB, Seagate 2TB HDD
Display(s) AOC CQ32G1
Case Jonsbo V8
Audio Device(s) Logitech G633, Presonus E3.5
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion SFX-L 650W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G513 Carbon
Software Win 10 Home
We are continuing to produce the Radeon RX 5700 series graphics cards, which deliver exceptional 1440p gaming experiences,” AMD told Tom’s Hardware in an email. “We will continue to respond to market demand.”

System Name Home
Processor 5950x
Display(s) U2518D+u2417h
Case Chieftec
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Razer Viper
Keyboard Logitech
Software Windows 10
I'm off to play squadrons on my vega64 without issues while you have a think, is it me? , Perhaps it is, perhaps I should have been on topic at least once.
You are on about the right company at least,.

Oh and news flash Companies are built to make money, and tech companies do that by releasing tech to sell(Cash grab my ass).
There is a difference, Amd is for getting cash quickly and not delivering product support to the level Nvidia has been doing for years, just take a look in how many places Nvidia put CUDA and how they support it, Amd still plays catch up or they don't care at all.
If you do some light gaming and work like video editing you quickly discover there is better support for Cuda in most plugins and editing programs, even the big ones like Adobe favor Cuda.
The reason you play Star wars squadrons without issues is because it's made by a giant company that has the money to troubleshoot everything, good luck with titles from smaller developers.

Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
There is a difference, Amd is for getting cash quickly and not delivering product support to the level Nvidia has been doing for years, just take a look in how many places Nvidia put CUDA and how they support it, Amd still plays catch up or they don't care at all.
If you do some light gaming and work like video editing you quickly discover there is better support for Cuda in most plugins and editing programs, even the big ones like Adobe favor Cuda.
The reason you play Star wars squadrons without issues is because it's made by a giant company that has the money to troubleshoot everything, good luck with titles from smaller developers.
Why would AMD support Nvidia's proprietary cuda?.

Now your points about Cuda being supported better on Nvidia and Adobe supported superiority?

Your all over the place bro , still not on topic.

Are we bothered about pro uses which AMD goes with Open standards or game's which I have tried vast amounts of without issues who knows, start a, I hate AMD butthurt thread and stop shit posting here.

None of which is on topic.

Every AMD card I had did Folding @home simulation work on non cuda code without issues for two to three years non stop too so done right open source is fine.

Now try a comment on the 5700 going Eol but not because it isn't.

Your name should have been opaqueifier.

In my opinion, RDNA is like a stop gap solution. The actual RDNA that AMD wanted to introduce is RDNA2. The first version is like a pipe clearer and also to help AMD regain some market share. In addition, you may also observed that future APUs are going to be RDNA2 which is another indication of it being a temporary solution. So I am not surprised that they will stop production once RDNA2 is introduced across all the market segments. The 5700 series is actually a great GPU, though marred by poor drivers at the onset and took AMD some time to fix most of it. I do observe driver bugs on my Vega GPU, but none that is a show stopper so far.
Yes RDNA is actually a hybrid of Vega and Navi and probably to test the 7nm node

You're confusing a AIB addition than to AMD actual bios. Congratulations you just made yourself look like a total clown

System Name Home
Processor 5950x
Display(s) U2518D+u2417h
Case Chieftec
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Razer Viper
Keyboard Logitech
Software Windows 10
Why would AMD support Nvidia's proprietary cuda?.

Now your points about Cuda being supported better on Nvidia and Adobe supported superiority?
I know exactly what i'm talking about, Amd has Opencl and Nvidia Cuda, in almost every productivity application cuda is better supported than Opencl because Nvidia gets involved.
Apple actually took the job to properly optimize for Amd cards but unfortunately they do it exclusively for Mac, they now have Metal Api for Adobe suite.
So windows users are stuck with opencl and poor support from Amd.
It's not enough to have a lot of raw power if you can't use it.
Do you want to talk about Nvenc vs VCE ? another thing Nvidia does better.
You're confusing a AIB addition than to AMD actual bios. Congratulations you just made yourself look like a total clown
Do a google search on the fan problem on AMD cards and then talk about it, genius.

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
I know exactly what i'm talking about, Amd has Opencl and Nvidia Cuda, in almost every productivity application cuda is better supported than Opencl because Nvidia gets involved.
Apple actually took the job to properly optimize for Amd cards but unfortunately they do it exclusively for Mac, they now have Metal Api for Adobe suite.
So windows users are stuck with opencl and poor support from Amd.
It's not enough to have a lot of raw power if you can't use it.
Do you want to talk about Nvenc vs VCE ? another thing Nvidia does better.

Do a google search on the fan problem on AMD cards and then talk about it, genius.
Your on a tech forum, we saw fan issues back four years ago with AIB card's.

We also saw recent and past issues with Nvidia and AMD, but none of that shits relevant to this thread.

As I said this is not an AMD butthurt thread, try starting your own moan thread instead of just shit posting irrelevant stuff to a random thread and you will find many to agree or debate with.

Now it's video playback issue thing wtaf, anything else?

So go back to post one , have a read , what's the title say!?.

Is your next post about that?

I'm off to carry on the!Raw power! Use without issues ,chat to yourself if you like, only you know what your point is Anyway.

Though tbh I doubt you do.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
I did and found nothing but random fan issues, no specific card or vendor or anything recent.

System Name Forgal
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Asus RoG Strix X570-E Gaming
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 4x16 GiB Crucial Ballistix PC4-28800, 16-18-18-38
Video Card(s) MSI Suprim Liquid GeForce RTX 4090
Storage 2 TB ADATA XPG SX8200Pro + 4 TB S860 + NAS
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF + LG 32UD99-W
Case Fractal Design Define 7 Compact
Audio Device(s) Audioengine HD3 + S8
Power Supply Super Flower SF-1000F14TP Leadex V P130X-1000 Pro
Mouse Razer DeathAdder 2
Keyboard Leopold FC900R OE mx-brown
Why hasn't the news post been updated with the statement from AMD?

The RX 5700 is one of the worst cards I've ever owned. I'm no fanboy of either.
I'm all about price/perf.
On paper the 5700 was a good buy, but all the problems I've had with it prove otherwise.

That's pretty weird. I haven't had a single problem with mine (MSI)
Fast, cool-running, reliable.
Best bang-for-buck, bar none.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
That's pretty weird. I haven't had a single problem with mine (MSI)
Fast, cool-running, reliable.
Best bang-for-buck, bar none.
Same and I actually test Beta Drivers...Sapphire Nitro+

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
I kinda thought this was suspect news. Apple just started putting a variant of the 5700 in their iMacs and MBPs. Sadly, there are user-reported issues there too.

Seems Navi was another design that was maybe pushed a little too far. With the way the cards try to max their clocks on their own, maybe they were doing so a little too aggressively. I hope the 6000 series refines that technology.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
System Name KHR-1
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASRock B550 PG Velocita (UEFI-BIOS P3.40)
Memory 32 GB G.Skill RipJawsV F4-3200C16D-32GVR
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT
Storage Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF OLED-ASRock PG27Q15R2A (backup)
Case Corsair 275R
Audio Device(s) Technics SA-EX140 receiver with Polk VT60 speakers
Power Supply eVGA Supernova G3 750W
Mouse Logitech G Pro (Hero)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
Yeah, I hope so... Since RDNA2 starts with higher tiers, it would be nice that 5700/5600 drop to ~200g, and 5500 to go to hell, where it belongs! :) Or to 100-something...
At least the RX5500XT isn't pathetic like the RX560.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Why hasn't the news post been updated with the statement from AMD?
Because TPU writers are allowed to enjoy a weekend away from work now and again. I suspect it'll be updated on Monday.

it's about time, that's a terrible card, it's a damn heater. besides, it never processed all that well for it's price point.
Your green team bias is showing through a little strong there. The 5700-series was both cheaper than the competition at its price point and offered comparable thermals/efficiency.

Sure, you can find factory overclocked 300W monster 5700XT examples, just as you can find equally stupid power-hungry variants of RTX cards, but stock-vs-stock the 5700 is more power efficient and dumps out less heat than either the 2060 or 2060S it competes with. The XT is pushed harder so suffers a bit but it's still within 10% of the 2070 it handily beats in most situations.

1601811554241.png

Like me, you can be disappointed that AMD chose to crank TSMC's 7nm process towards peformance rather than efficiency by default, but at least the AMD driver gives you extremely fine control of the voltage curve, clocks, power target, fan speed curve. I can't say I'm particularly happy about Nvidia's complete lack of of official tuning support, nor do I like that the FE cards have awful fan control and sub-par idle noise levels.

I ditched my FE for a AIB RTX card and I'm still not that impressed by the limited control over voltage and fan speed I have using third party utilities. My supposedly 'awful' 5700XT reference card in the HTPC is both faster and quieter than the RTX that I'm typing this on, under any and all situations, which is exactly why I put that card in the cramped HTPC case and connected it to the more demanding 4K TV.

The 5700-series is simply a way better product for the high-resolution, quiet and efficient gaming than either my FE or 3rd-party RTX 2060/2070S and after the insane power draw, stability issues, and unmet expectations of the 3080, I'm really looking forward to see what Big Navi can do at 4K....

I've been wholly underwelmed by every RTX experience I've tried at home. GI (SotTR and ME) has generally been something you only notice in side-by-side screenshots, it's pretty subtle. Reflections in Control and BFV were perhaps the most striking visual difference but the performance hit on my 2060 and 2070S were too much to ask for the graphical improvement. Faked non-RTX reflections and shadows are fine, and I get to run them at 4K60 which is far bigger improvement than some subtle effect tweaks.

Perhaps if I had a 2080Ti I'd have changed my mind but that's literally 3x the price for a feature that isn't in that many games and RTX-ON at $1200 is still barely the performance of a $400 solution with RTX-OFF. I'm sure people who spent big on 2080Ti cards are defensive of their purchasing decisions but I'm telling you that the mainstream RTX experience was a damp squib. You missed out on nothing important, unless you've found a game-changing RTX title that I haven't tried yet....

Last edited: