• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My EDP Current Keeps bleeping non Stop.

Ryan040

Hi, Sorry in advance if i have posted in the wrong Section.
Actually its been a week since my power limit throttling got fixed thanks to the thread "Unexplained Power Limitation". My Laptop is an i5 5250U with a clockspeed of 1.6ghz to 2.7ghz and whenever little load is applied, it immediately starts power throttling. This caused many unexplained performance problems, from games struggling to even simple tasks too(0 multi tasking). After using powercut technique, the performance improved drastically. Thank You!! Now power doesn't show up next to limitations whenever i am doing anything and my clockspeeed is at 2.5ghz .

But yesterday, a really funny situation happened. I technically forgot to use powercut technique while the system was idle(mistake from my part) and did it after playing a game(which power throttled) .And what happened after that was, even though the power indicator was not displaying next to limits, the system was struggling from screen recording to games,. And i did a cine bench test and my system was underperforming(508 pts) when before it was 521 pts. Soo only after doing a shut down, it got resolved(527 pts). The only thing which logically makes sense is that i must have locked the system when it was power throttling at 9 10W,which resulted in this performance difference.

Is it okay if the edp current keeps bleeping non stop even if the power is not displaying next to limits? i tried clearing it, but never disappears ie both gpu and ring always have the edp current tag displayed and it keeps bleeping. I have set the cpu to 31 and gpu to 0 in tp3, and this has caused the edp currents to only be displayed in the ring and gpu, when before, it would display in all(ie cpu 0 and gpu 31).Adjusting the ppo turbo time limit hasn't resolved it because i cant add a value greater than 28 since it would reset back to 28. Is there anything i can do for this? and does it does it need fixing?

Attachments

• tpl.PNG
    tpl.PNG
    60.2 KB · Views: 442
  • ts.PNG
    ts.PNG
    615.9 KB · Views: 451

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Here is an example of what not to do when using PowerCut. I "accidentally" enabled PowerCut while running Prime95. After exiting Prime95, the C0% shows that my CPU is idle but the CPU is still reporting power consumption at over 56W. Lots of power limit throttling showing up in the Limit Reasons window. The multiplier is usually up around 34 or higher when idle. Throttling has disabled turbo boost so the CPU cannot go higher than its default multiplier which is 24.

Today's lesson. Do not enable PowerCut when the CPU is loaded. :)
As you found out, if you accidentally do this, you need to reboot to reset the CPU.

Do not worry about a few boxes always yellow in Limit Reasons. The CORE column is all clear. That is the important one. If 2 cores are active, your multiplier will always be at 25.00 if your CPU is not throttling. Watch the reported multiplier for any signs of throttling.

The PP0 Current Limit is locked at 32. If this setting was not locked, perhaps you could increase this limit and the yellow boxes would go away. It is locked so there is nothing you can do about this.

Great to see that the PowerCut feature is still proving to be useful.

When using PowerCut, you probably do not need to check TDP Level Control or the Power Balance feature. If you enable SpeedStep, the Set Multiplier function should work as long as you set the Non Turbo Ratio to 0. Handy if you need to slow your CPU down. I usually set the Non Turbo Ratio to 1 so the CPU goes for maximum speed. Most computers do not check the PP0 Power Limit and this is set to 0 by default. This value is ignored when set like this.

Attachments

• PowerCut.png
    PowerCut.png
    40.6 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:

Ryan040

Thank You Soo Much !! I am really glad that i dont need to fix anything else in this laptop except the thermal. :clap:

Yea PowerCut has truly saved this laptop Big Time! Now atleast i can use the laptop without getting cranky for every little thing :p
Ever since powercut has been enabled, it has never fallen below 2.5ghz. Really Happy :rolleyes:
i have unchecked everything else ie the tdp level control, power balance and set the ppo to 0.
Thank You Once Again !!

Ryan040

Just an update: Its been 2 weeks since i used this powercut method, Non gaming wise the system is performing really well. Its normal to see stuff not loading fast, but yea it will slow down if its 2 3 heavy applications running at a time.
Gaming wise: There doesn't seem to be any kind of difference at all, The fps has increased because of the increase in clockspeed, but the frames are not stable. I dont get that smooth frame rate, it keeps stuttering plus i dont know why, for some weird reason, the controls are lagged too because of the fluctuating frames. Beyond Weird.
Becoz of the powercut method, i was able to increase the undervolt from -49 to -89 mV. and i have enabled intel power balance to 31:0 for cpu and gpu respectively, so that i can remove the edp error from the cpu. So error is only left on the gpu and ring.
I have changed t he thermal paste, plus removedthe laptop keyboard which decreased the temps by 20degs while gaming.
Is the edp current still interfering with the performance? The part which annoys me the most is when the frames which are displayed at 60 act like they are stuttering in the 30fps range. Maybe becoz the program is running on OGL might be the reason why the game is struggling to load frames properly on my laptop. or maybe the laptop is not built for gaming even though temps are around 60 degs. I feel like, the more stuff i try to optmize for this laptop, the more disappointment i am getting.
I am going to buy an ssd next week and somehow figure out whether i need to do cloning or just format my system first before adding the ssd.
Other people have even lesser specs than mine but can play the game i play with perfect frame rate, meanwhile this system is struggling to produce the frames and stutters plus causes the controls to submit late since its struggling to load the frames properly. If the ssd doesnt help, i think its better if i just quit working on optimizing this system and just buy a pc which willl fix all my troubles in one shot. I am guessing that powercut just removed the error but in the background it is still continuing to power throttling. Maybe that could be the reason why the games frame rates are not smooth.

unclewebb

i have enabled intel power balance to 31:0 for cpu and gpu
What GPU are you using? That setting will severely limit the power going to the Intel GPU and could cause problems.

the laptop is not built for gaming
That is the biggest problem. You have a 5th Gen low power CPU which only has 2 cores. The intended market is light internet use.

An SSD will make a big difference when booting up and for general use but at the end of the day, you still have a low end CPU. When this CPU was released 5+ years ago, it was not designed for gaming. ThrottleStop might help it run a little faster or a lot faster but it cannot transform your CPU into something it is not.

System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
little bit outta context but i put in a samsung 840 evo in my girlfriends old dual core i3 acer lappi which is used for office mainly and its night and day

Ryan040

I am currently using the nvidia GPU, ie the 920m with vram 4gb. Only one program is forced to use the igpu and that is the video editor.
Disabling the intel power balance leads to the edp error in all rows ie the cpu, gpu and ring respectively, That is the only reason why i had enabled it and kept cpu at 31 and gpu at 0.
By enabling it, the edp error will only display in the gpu and ring column only.

Yea, totally agree that this cpu is only fit for internet related stuff. Even light gaming is a simple no no.
Regarding the ssd, Yes Sure i will be adding it no problem. I just know that it will help to a certain extent.
Soo most likely wherever i see frame skips, which indirectly leads to input latency, im sure that it will continue since my cpu itself is low end.
Anyways i have removed the undervolting since there isnt any change in temps at all(55-73 degs), and i have unchecked the intel power balance box.
Is it okay to fiddle around with the cache ratio ie setting it at 24? min max? and ticking the sleep defaults?

Ryan040

What GPU are you using? That setting will severely limit the power going to the Intel GPU and could cause problems.
Is it possible if you could tell me in detail what problems it could cause? If the problems caused by the igpu outweighs the benefits of having 2.5ghz consistent clockspeed, then i will disable tpl3. I dont use the igpu for anything, The only thing which i could see it creating problems is the screen display and the gamebar's screen recorder which makes use of the igpu.

Sorry for bothering you again with these stupid questions. Its taking me a great deal of time to understand all this, Sorry in advance.

unclewebb

The only problem would be GPU throttling but if you are using the Nvidia GPU then Intel GPU throttling is probably not going to be a problem.

ThrottleStop has a hidden INI option for the Intel GPU. Edit the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file and add this line.

IGPU=48

This sets the Intel GPU power limit nice and high so there should be less Intel GPU throttling.

Are you having any problems or is everything still running OK?

Is it okay to fiddle around with the cache ratio
It is OK to adjust anything you want. On my 4th Gen laptop, I have the Cache Min and Max both set to 36. On newer CPUs it is a good idea to run the cache slower but that does not seen to be necessary on older CPUs.

Ryan040

Nah, Nah, np, i was just seeing whether there is any way to squeeze performance out of this potato.
I had ran some cinebench tests, and only the multi core test was 25 pts less than the global score review of this cpu.
I was slightly surprised in a way because i expected my scores to exceed my cpu's global scores since it had a better clock speed rate, but it was weird, it turned out to be reverse.

Anyways, the igpu has been affecting the gamebar's screen recording while i am playing and since its throttling, it ends up causing input lag, frame skips and the stutter. But Yeah my system is a potato. So its more or less understable that i shouldn't be doing screen recording on a dual core cpu.

This is a weird theory which came across my mind. Is it possible for a throttling igpu to affect the entire system while its being used to display the screen? Its not possible right? It would be amazing if i could have used the nvidia card instead of this throttling igpu to display my screen. Who knows, maybe i could get a better performance boost