• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Launches AMD Ryzen 5000 Series Desktop Processors: The Fastest Gaming CPUs in the World

Will they finally supporting XMP from RAM's ? Because AMD was and is now still is a disaster on XMP memory modules.

Extreme Memory Profile ( XMP) is a specification serving as an extension to the standard JEDEC SPD specifications developed by INTEL. XMP is intended to make overclocking easier and more accessible to new users through profiles and predefined overclocking configurations that are known to be stable. Why would memory specs designed for Intel work the same with AMD?

System Name Ultima
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard MSI Mag B550M Mortar
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 rev4 w/ Ryzen offset mount
Memory G.SKill Ripjaws V 2x16GB DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB Gen4, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB , 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD sata,
Display(s) ASUS TUF VG249Q3A 24" 1080p 165-180Hz VRR
Case DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200 Audio/Nvidia HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Mouse Steelseries Rival 3 Wireless | Wacom Intuos CTH-480
Keyboard A4Tech B314 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro
should i just bite the 5800X or 5600X or still wait™ for the 5700X, ugh ive been itching for a while now, currently searching for some B550 boards now

Nice to see haters in such a number - guess those are the same "but Intel rules FHD on max details" bunch...

Care (or are able) to remember times when AMD ruled the CPU sees, like in 1GHz race or FX64? For performance crown in virtually every scenario, AMD *asked* for a premium price - and why it shouldn't have? A philanthropic corporation?

On "improvement are underwhelming front", please try to remember endless Sandy Bridge revisions, "5-10% faster in very rare memory operations which are almost never used; 2% overall speed improvement, because we added 100Mhz. Main feature: CPU is now cheaper to produce for us (Intel), yet the price haven't moved a bit for customer".

Try to remember the Intel core numbers before Zen(1) - 2(4) / 4(4) / 4(8), weren't they? Only after Zen launch, Intel had an epiphany which lead to the first i3 with 4 real cores, I5 with 6... and i9 as a class... and certain models at significantly lower prices than before... Was there Intel desktop CPU with 8 real cores? Or 10? More? Errrr... What were the prices for non-desktop CPUs with mentioned number of cores?

Is the "philanthropic corporation" responsible for this sudden change of heart? Well, no, because AMD works for profit. However, a "competitive corporation" is. Now we have kind of CPU power we could only dream about few years ago in this price range.

Will I buy Zen3? Hmmmm, reviews first, decision later (thinking about the features inbetween)... Likely not at launch, because the next computer I'm building is midrange... But Zen2 prices will probably drop nicely, so I'll still end with better stuff than I could've before this (pre)launch. If Intel drops prices, then I'll have a privilege of choice, though I doubt I'll take that train out of general principles (486X3 was last Intel CPU I owned, hehehehe - missed the ride on Celeron 300A unfortunately; I don't think about myself as AMD fanboy - I was buying Intel's for a company, but not for myself all this time).

Someone mentioned Intel GPU coming, if we haven't forgotten - how could I ever? A 25-30 years of constant failures, beaten by companies like Tseng Labs, Trident, not to talk about bigger names... Competition, yeyeye, all the stuff I've said above I still hold true, but I kinda have little faith of it being either good globally, or even at price range. Iris Pro 2, more likely. Knights Sinkhole? No, I'm not exactly fair here, Xeon Phi could've been good stuff...

So there's nothing worthy to upgrade to for those who's bought a Skylake-based processor in the last few years. Even Zen 3 is a side grade at best if you already have 8700k and above. Yikes! Rocketlake better deliver phenomenal gaming performance or x86 as a whole is screwed!

So the cynical folk who predicted that the 5900X would be a power-hungry overheating pile with a 150W TDP that AMD simply overclocked to reach 5.0GHz were.....what's the word.....WRONG.

Dont listen to these people.

AMD did a very well job to be honest and solved most gaming related performance by cutting up the latency's and penalty's the previous generation of CPU's had.

System Name The Expanse
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-Pro BIOS 5013 AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.Ca.
Cooling Corsair H150i Pro
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident RGB DDR4-3200 14-14-14-34-1T (B-Die)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24GB (24.3.1)
Storage WD SN850X 2TB / Corsair MP600 1TB / Samsung 860Evo 1TB x2 Raid 0 / Asus NAS AS1004T V2 14TB
Display(s) LG 34GP83A-B 34 Inch 21: 9 UltraGear Curved QHD (3440 x 1440) 1ms Nano IPS 160Hz
Case Fractal Design Meshify S2
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi + Logitech Z-5500 + HS80 Wireless
Power Supply Corsair AX850 Titanium
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB SE
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 22H2
Benchmark Scores 3800X https://valid.x86.fr/1zr4a5 5800X https://valid.x86.fr/2dey9c
Some of the intel fan boys post in this thread are hilarious.

System Name Eula
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7900X PBO
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus Wifi
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix XT
Memory Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 64GB (4x16GB F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR) EXPO II, OCCT Tested
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4080 GAMING OC
Storage Corsair MP600 XT NVMe 2TB, Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 2TB and Toshiba N300 NAS 10TB HDD
Display(s) 2X LG 27UL600 27in 4K HDR FreeSync/G-Sync DP
Case Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB White
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Platinum 1000W
Mouse SteelSeries Prime Pro Gaming Mouse
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 5
Software MS Windows 11 Pro
AMD fans never fail to disappoint with double standards. Intel and NVIDIA have always been "evil" but once AMD does that, suddenly it's perfectly fine because they just follow suit.
Unlike Intel and NVIDIA, AMD is just above the break-even. AMD needs to improve its profitability.

I'm pretty sure, towards end of the month AMD will issue a statement, saying, we listened to you again as we always do and we lowered the prices by 50 USD! and the fanboyz will go wild again... watch this space!

System Name Ultima
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB Gen4, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB , 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD sata,
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm pretty sure, towards end of the month AMD will issue a statement, saying, we listened to you again as we always do and we lowered the prices by 50 USD! and the fanboyz will go wild again... watch this space!
Hope it wont be like the RTX 3080 catastrophe where stocks got low and scalpers everywhere

So there's something that has been bothering me that I never paid attention to, and could be a big mess when big navi comes out, and that is Ray Tracing performance. In the techpowerup review for the rtx 3080, ray tracing was disabled for "neutrality purposes". How long will this be the case? I paid little attention to that but I think I'd like to see rtx2000 vs rtx3000 since both support rt. The reason I say this is because when looking at the big navi performance mentioned by AMD, first thing I did was look at actual performance to compare to Nvidia and last gen AMD. For starters, these games mentioned by AMD do not support ray tracing to my knowledge. When I compared the number to a rx 5700 xt, they are about twice the performance, which is what we predicted, but this is purely rasterization. Now what about the RT penalty? What if AMD loses more performance when rt is enabled, but matches Nvidia without it. It's going to be a mess since reviewers have not incorporated ray tracing into their benchmarks yet.

Nice job AMD, but a little disappointed in official DRAM support still on Zen2 spec.
I'd have thought 3466MHz would be the new norm.

uh i was hoping to see the 8 core 16 thread part to become much more cheaper instead the 6 core 12 thread got price increase because it has faster performance than older 6 core 12 thread part?

System Name ❶ Oooh (2024) ❷ Aaaah (2021) ❸ Ahemm (2017)
Processor ❶ 5800X3D ❷ i7-9700K ❸ i7-7700K
Motherboard ❶ X570-F ❷ Z390-E ❸ Z270-E
Cooling ❶ ALFIII 360 ❷ X62 + X72 (GPU mod) ❸ X62
Memory ❶ 32-3600/16 ❷ 32-3200/16 ❸ 16-3200/16
Video Card(s) ❶ 3080 X Trio ❷ 2080TI (AIOmod) ❸ 1080TI
Storage ❶ NVME/SSD/HDD ❷ <SAME ❸ SSD/HDD
Display(s) ❶ 1440/165/IPS ❷ 1440/144/IPS ❸ 1080/144/IPS
Case ❶ BQ Silent 601 ❷ Cors 465X ❸ Frac Mesh C
Audio Device(s) ❶ HyperX C2 ❷ HyperX C2 ❸ Logi G432
Power Supply ❶ HX1200 Plat ❷ RM750X ❸ EVGA 650W G2
Mouse ❶ Logi G Pro ❷ Razer Bas V3 ❸ Logi G502
Keyboard ❶ Logi G915 TKL ❷ Anne P2 ❸ Logi G610
Benchmark Scores I have wrestled bandwidths, Tussled with voltages, Handcuffed Overclocks, Thrown Gigahertz in Jail
An honest question....

I'm somewhat new to the world of PC hardware (3 years or so but a quick learner) and not so much familiar with the historic justifications for brand loyalty. TBH, no matter how hard I try I can't justify anyone's brand-leanings and don't expect to find any valid cause for it. So I'm not going to ask "why the favouritism?".... but will ask, "is this something you intend on pursuing, even if the other side delivers something better and more useful?"

Or maybe i'm seeing things the wrong way. Maybe you're open to purchasing from both AMD/INTEL to best accommodate your personal performance requirements/features/budget/etc ....but outwardly favour one brand over the other? (...maybe rooting for the underdog? overclocking margins/enthusiasm? etc?)

An honest question....

I'm somewhat new to the world of PC hardware (3 years or so but a quick learner) and not so much familiar with the historic justifications for brand loyalty. TBH, no matter how hard I try I can't justify anyone's brand-leanings and don't expect to find any valid cause for it. So I'm not going to ask "why the favouritism?".... but will ask, "is this something you intend on pursuing, even if the other side delivers something better and more useful?"

Or maybe i'm seeing things the wrong way. Maybe you're open to purchasing from both AMD/INTEL to best accommodate your personal performance requirements/features/budget/etc ....but outwardly favour one brand over the other? (...maybe rooting for the underdog? overclocking margins/enthusiasm? etc?)
When you consider there are only 2 major x86 cpu manufactures in the world today, there is not much choice for end users. So a 50/50 chance of siding with one or the other. Most users will go by their last experience with a product & in this game, factor in socket compatibility it then becomes clearer as to why an end user will favor one brand over the other.
An exception here is if an end user has significant disposable income to invest in whole platform upgrades eg. motherboard & cpu etc..
In some cases even RAM compatibility can factor in to an end users final choice product.

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max
Cooling stock crap AMD wraith cooler
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro RX580 8GBs
Storage Adata Gammix S11 Pro 1TB nvme
Case Corsair Caribide Air 540
And who would they be?

All I've seen are AMD toxic fanboys attacking anyone and everyone that was not POSITIVELY ENTHUSED by the announcement. But what do I know. The fanboys know for a fact I'm just another intel shill for writing this. How dare anyone not be pissed with joy at the prospect of 300 dollars for the lowest end cpu, they're obviously shilling for intel or spoiled brats demanding free CPUs from amd.

Attachments

• proof.jpg
    proof.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 87
Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
All I've seen are AMD toxic fanboys attacking anyone and everyone that was not POSITIVELY ENTHUSED by the announcement. But what do I know. The fanboys know for a fact I'm just another intel shill for writing this. How dare anyone not be pissed with joy at the prospect of 300 dollars for the lowest end cpu, they're obviously shilling for intel or spoiled brats demanding free CPUs from amd.
It is not like the current Zen2 cpus just all goes poof and gone overnight and are suddenly horrible chips.
Buy Zen2 if you want best value, not like you need that extra few fps gaming on a 2060 or 5600xt anyway.

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max
Cooling stock crap AMD wraith cooler
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro RX580 8GBs
Storage Adata Gammix S11 Pro 1TB nvme
Case Corsair Caribide Air 540
It is not like the current Zen2 cpus just all goes poof and gone overnight and are suddenly horrible chips.
Buy Zen2 if you want best value, not like you need that extra few fps gaming on a 2060 or 5600xt anyway.

Yes, your point is perfectly valid, but don't you think it's annoying that the minute anyone passes any kind of judgement on AMD's pricing, they're either intel shills or "entitled"? It's almost as if only intel's prices can be subject to criticism. The 5600X is -in my opinion, and a lot of others', it would seem- a terrible value for money compared to 3600 and noone should be subject to fanboi ad homs for thinking so.

Last edited:
I wonder if the unified cache will mean that the budget quad cores (3300X successor) will have access to the full 32MB of cache. Unless AMD are planning on neutering the cache on the budget chips, I can't see why not.

So there's something that has been bothering me that I never paid attention to, and could be a big mess when big navi comes out, and that is Ray Tracing performance. In the techpowerup review for the rtx 3080, ray tracing was disabled for "neutrality purposes". How long will this be the case? I paid little attention to that but I think I'd like to see rtx2000 vs rtx3000 since both support rt. The reason I say this is because when looking at the big navi performance mentioned by AMD, first thing I did was look at actual performance to compare to Nvidia and last gen AMD. For starters, these games mentioned by AMD do not support ray tracing to my knowledge. When I compared the number to a rx 5700 xt, they are about twice the performance, which is what we predicted, but this is purely rasterization. Now what about the RT penalty? What if AMD loses more performance when rt is enabled, but matches Nvidia without it. It's going to be a mess since reviewers have not incorporated ray tracing into their benchmarks yet.

If benchmarking is not done on equal configuration/settings what is their purpose?
Ray Tracing will be normal when there are more new games with it than without. Currently, it's like PhysX, not many games have it and it wouldn't be fair comparison if you can't run it on AMD also.

I've build all my high end rigs based on what hardware can handle what I want to play that particular year. This year it's whoever can play my game of choice in 4k with all the bells and whistles wins.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
People should be happy about this. No matter which side you are on.

Forces the opposition to improve themselves, and also possibly lower prices. Currently I am rocking a 10500 ES and if it wasn't for this processor, I would have just purchased a 5600X. But now I hope Intel will try to be more competitive by dropping prices on current cpu's. So I can pick up a 10900 or 10850 for even cheaper to replace this engineering sample.

A few FPS here and there of AMD's top of the line over Intels Top of the line wont make a difference, just like the reverse didn't make much of a difference. Both are great buys and both serve their purpose and its better to go with the best bang for your buck.

Good show AMD! Now I am eagerly waiting for the 28th so I can see the RDNA2 performance and if it has fully functional built in support for RT and other little features before I make a decision on a GPU purchase.

System Name Ultima
Software Windows 10 Pro
coming from a 3770K from many years ago, either intel or amd now will be good, just disappointed no hint of 5700X so far.

D

Deleted member 190774

Yes, your point is perfectly valid, but don't you think it's annoying that the minute anyone passes any kind of judgement on AMD's pricing, they're either intel shills or "entitled"? It's almost as if only intel's prices can be subject to criticism. The 5600X is -in my opinion, and a lot of others', it would seem- a terrible value for money compared to 3600 and noone should be subject to fanboi ad homs for thinking so.
Can't say I've noticed too much, though there are definitely individuals out there who are blatantly antagonistic in both directions, and their postings are frequently predictable.

I actually think AMD is making a mistake to increase prices, and should have waited for the next generation to do so - but whatever; I only buy HEDT and looking at a 32 core Threadripper as my next gaming set up so I'm not really going to notice $50 here or there...

My biggest hope for Zen 3 is that AMD have learned from the terrible press with the boost frequencies. My hope is that when these CPU's finally get plugged in, the number on the box is conservative.