• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft xCloud May Bypass Apple App Store with Web App

Microsoft is reportedly planning to release a "direct browser-based solution" to bring their Xbox Game Pass xCloud streaming service to iOS and iPadOS devices targeting a 2021 launch according to sources familiar with the matter. Microsoft has faced numerous issues with bringing the service to Apple devices due to App Store policies requiring each game to be uploaded as a separate application for review. Microsoft has previously stated that this solution is unacceptable and they would be investigating other options, they seem to have concluded that a web app would be the best route forwards. This approach is very similar to Amazon's Luna game streaming service which will also utilize a web app for access on Apple devices.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

What nonsense, what a disgusting ecosystem, and what a way to curb innovation and new ideas based on nonsense policies

System Name SYBARIS
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI Arsenal Gaming B450 Tomahawk
Cooling Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi
Memory Team T-Force Delta RGB 2x8GB 3200CL16
Video Card(s) Colorful GeForce RTX 2060 6GV2
Storage Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black WD1003FZEX 1TB | Seagate ST1000LM024 1TB | WD My Passport Slim 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 24" 144hz IPS
Case Montech Air ARGB
Audio Device(s) Massdrop + Sennheiser PC37X | QKZ x HBB
Power Supply Corsair CX650-F
Mouse Razer Viper Mini | Cooler Master MM711 | Logitech G102 | Logitech G402
Keyboard Drop + The Lord of the Rings Dwarvish
Software Windows 10 Education 22H2 x64
That's going to piss off Apple.
I wonder if Apple can still cripple the experience somewhat. Remember they also own the Webkit engine and forces every third-party browser in iOS to use it.

Processor 3700X
Motherboard X570 TUF Plus
Cooling U12
Memory 32GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX970
Storage 512GB 970 Pro
Case CM 500L vertical
It's how Stadia, GeForce Now (even in the "app" version, it's just an electron wrapper, by all appearances), and many work from home VM/RDPs work (at least any decent one has the option).

Apple may infantily try to cripple the option, but they'll have even less of a leg to stand on at that point.

Well, Apple can burn only so many bridges, they might be the most profitable publicly-traded company in the world but they sure as hell can't piss off MS, Google, FB et al at the same time. EPIC is less than puny compared to them.

System Name Main PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)
Cooling EKWB X570 VIII Hero Monoblock, 2x XD5, Heatkiller IV SB block for chipset,Alphacool 3090 Strix block
Memory 4x16GB 3200-14-14-14-34 G.Skill Trident RGB (OC: 3600-14-14-14-28)
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3090 Strix OC
Storage 500GB+500GB SSD RAID0, Fusion IoDrive2 1.2TB, Huawei HSSD 2TB, 11TB on server used for steam
Display(s) Dell LG CX48 (custom res: 3840x1620@120Hz) + Acer XB271HU 2560x1440@144Hz
Case Corsair 1000D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD599, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK2
Software Windows 10 Pro 20H2
That's going to piss off Apple.
And Apple can shove it where the sun don't shine. They need to admit defeat at some point and just grin and bear it.

All the other services are able to do it that way, so Microsoft should be able to too. If they cripple that functionality for Microsoft, they have no legs to stand on as they're enforcing rules selectively at that point. Or they cripple it for everybody and ruin it for everyone (including Amazon Luna amongst so many more).

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I think this is a different case to the EPIC lawsuit.

EPIC are using Apple's ecosystem to host their game, grab Apple's user base and profit directly from a game using Apple's servers, Apple hardware, and Apple's customers.

xCloud is a seperate ecosystem and platform. The iOS app is simply a remote access device to that external Microsoft ecosystem of Microsoft Servers, Microsoft hardware, and Microsoft customers.

You could argue the same thing for Netflix or Stadia quite easily - The iOS apps are simply what a web browser can do, but with better mobile support. Everything that matters is out on the web, not running on Apple hardware or Apple servers.

I certainly hope Apple doesn't try to cripple this too. But I hope they wouldn't because it would presumably cripple a lot of other apps in the process (like VMWares, remote desktop software, Amazon's Luna, etc). You don't want to piss off all the big tech companies and especially not business-related apps (like remote desktop and vmwares). Gamers might just piss and moan, businesses will take their business elsewhere.

As a gamer I likely won't use xCloud because I don't want to waste bandwidth playing a game I could download and play locally or stream in-house using Steam/Moonlight/Rainway, etc. But it would still be nice to have that option when traveling.

I'll never feel bad when bad happens to Apple. The company was made by scummy men who ripped off everyone that they could. They have managed to create a massive cult like following so it's not like they're going to be hurt badly by this anyways.

The company was made by scummy men who ripped off everyone that they could.
Oh, have to disagree with that. Apple was great under the leadership of Steve Jobs. With him at the helm, Apple was innovative and visionary. With him gone, not really anymore. But Apple was not built on scummy nonsense.

System Name Main PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)
Cooling EKWB X570 VIII Hero Monoblock, 2x XD5, Heatkiller IV SB block for chipset,Alphacool 3090 Strix block
Memory 4x16GB 3200-14-14-14-34 G.Skill Trident RGB (OC: 3600-14-14-14-28)
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3090 Strix OC
Storage 500GB+500GB SSD RAID0, Fusion IoDrive2 1.2TB, Huawei HSSD 2TB, 11TB on server used for steam
Display(s) Dell LG CX48 (custom res: 3840x1620@120Hz) + Acer XB271HU 2560x1440@144Hz
Case Corsair 1000D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD599, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK2
Software Windows 10 Pro 20H2
Oh, have to disagree with that. Apple was great under the leadership of Steve Jobs. With him at the helm, Apple was innovative and visionary. With him gone, not really anymore. But Apple was not built on scummy nonsense.
Nah, Steve Jobs was an a-hole. He scammed his way to the top. Steve Wozniak carried Apple from day one and Steve reaped his hard work even prior to Apple.
It might look like Steve did all the heavy lifting; but trust me, the engineers at Apple did all the work and Steve got all the public praise for it. He clearly fooled you.
Steve had a long history of being a scummy prick and it ultimately did him in when he refused actual treatment for his cancer.

If you really believe that lord help me. It makes me think you're really young or naive. And It's not that they WERE innovative and visionary, it's that they've run out of ideas to steal. We're at a point where it's very difficult to come up with new things.

If you really believe that lord help me. It makes me think you're really young or naive.
Or I'm old enough to remember how things began and have watched very carefully is things technological in nature have progressed. While I'm no fan of Apple, Steve Jobs was one of the world's greatest modern innovators. When the world lost Jobs, Apple lost it's single greatest asset. Since that time Apple has stagnated.
And It's not that they WERE innovative and visionary, it's that they've run out of ideas to steal.
Your understanding of human inspiration and innovative creativity needs some adjustment/improvement.
We're at a point where it's very difficult to come up with new things.
Let us all hope you are not a part of any R&D group. That kind of thinking leads to nowhere.