• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

China Forecast to Represent 22% of the Foundry Market in 2020, says IC Insights

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
IC Insights recently released its September Update to the 2020 McClean Report that presented the second of a two-part analysis on the global IC foundry industry and included a look at the pure-play foundry market by region.

China was responsible for essentially all of the total pure-play foundry market increase in 2018. In 2019, the U.S./China trade war slowed China's economic growth but its foundry marketshare still increased by two percentage points to 21%. Moreover, despite the Covid-19 shutdown of China's economy earlier this year, China's share of the pure-play foundry market is forecast to be 22% in 2020, 17 percentage points greater than it registered in 2010 (Figure 1).

Japan is expected to remain the smallest market for pure-play foundry sales with only a 5% share this year (up only two points from its share in 2010). With its foundry market forecast to be worth about $3.6 billion in 2020, Japan's share of pure-play foundry sales is expected to be about 10% the size of the 2020 Americas pure-play foundry market ($35.1 billion).

IC Insights believes that the Japanese market for pure-play foundry services will increase only slightly in the future. The fabless IC company infrastructure in Japan is small and not expected to grow much over the next five years. Therefore, almost all of the growth in foundry demand in Japan is expected to come from a greater number of Japanese IDMs (e.g., Renesas, Toshiba, Sony, etc.), utilizing IC foundry services.

The rise of HiSilicon and other fabless IC companies in China has elevated the demand for foundry services in that country. Figure 2 shows IC Insights' listing of the top pure-play foundries' sales in China in 2018-2020.

In total, pure-play foundry sales in China increased by 10% in 2019 to $11.8 billion, much better than the 1% decline in the total pure-play foundry market last year. Moreover, in 2020, pure-play foundry sales to China are forecast to jump by 26%, seven points better than the 19% increase expected to be registered by the total pure-play foundry market this year.

As shown, UMC showed the highest sales increase into China last year with a 19% jump. This increase was driven by the continued ramp up of its Fab 12X located in Xiamen, China, which opened in late 2016. The fab currently has capacity of 18.7K 300 mm wafers per month. An expansion to 25.0K wafers per month is expected to be complete in mid-2021.

Following a 59% jump in 2018, TSMC's sales into China increased by another 17% in 2019 to $6.9 billion. As a result, the China market was responsible for essentially all of TSMC's sales increase last year with China's share of the company's sales more than doubling from 9% in 2016 to 20% in 2019. In 2020, China-based SMIC and Taiwan-based TSMC are forecast to register strong sales increases in China of 32% and 30%, respectively. For SMIC, a 32% sales increase into China this year would be a big turnaround from the 7% decline in China sales the company logged in 2019.

TSMC had strong sales into China in the second half of last year that were boosted by sales of 7nm application processors to fabless IC supplier HiSilicon. In the first half of 2020, TSMC's sales into China flattened at $2.2-$2.3 billion per quarter. Given that TSMC's device shipments to HiSilicon ended in mid-September, it remains to be seen if that revenue can be replaced in 4Q20 with sales from other China-based companies.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Most of it would be probably be inward bound for China's own market. With a rapidly growing middle class and huge population / economy size they would definitely consume quite a lot of the said produced silicons

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Most of it would be probably be inward bound for China's own market. With a rapidly growing middle class and huge population / economy size they would definitely consume quite a lot of the said produced silicons

Not if:

Black Death

Floods

and Famine

as well as the Corona doesnt kill off the population first...

Wow they stole that much tech already? I wonder if this will enable human rights abuses and generally being dicks to cease. I know I live in the divided states of America and we have our own crap we pulled but these guys need to be bitch slapped before it's too late.

System Name System V
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 // a bunch of 120 mm Xigmatek 1500 RPM fans (2 ins, 3 outs)
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz (BLS8G4D32AESCK.M8FE) (CL16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 8 GB
Storage SHFS37A240G / DT01ACA200 / WD20EZRX / MKNSSDTR256GB-3DL / LG BH16NS40 / ST10000VN0008
Display(s) LG 22MP55 IPS Display
Case NZXT Source 210
Audio Device(s) Logitech G430 Headset
Power Supply Corsair CX650M
Mouse Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0
Keyboard HP Vectra VE keyboard (Part # D4950-63004)
Software Whatever build of Windows 11 is being served in Dev channel at the time.
Benchmark Scores Corona 1.3: 3120620 r/s Cinebench R20: 3355 FireStrike: 12490 TimeSpy: 4624
Not if:

Black Death

Floods

and Famine

as well as the Corona doesnt kill off the population first...
Black Death = We know how that works and how it spreads, and, more importantly, we have means to mitigate and cure it, so it's no longer anywhere near as terrible or apocalyptic as it was in medieval Europe.
Floods = Mostly important for their damage to buildings/facilities. Human losses will be low with adequate response, maybe even material losses could be mostly averted if the Chinese decide to do some crazy engineering of some kind (I mean, they build fake islands on the ocean, so why not?)
Famine = This one is a little harder, but maybe incentives for food imports or advances in their own food production.
Coronavirus = As I understand it, for relatively young people (below 50/60 years old), COVID has low fatality rate.

We are talking almost a billion and half people. A lot of people to kill with three things that have low chance of reaching most of the population and/or they're rather low-fatality rate, while a fourth one could be solved through trade.

Wow they stole that much tech already? I wonder if this will enable human rights abuses and generally being dicks to cease. I know I live in the divided states of America and we have our own crap we pulled but these guys need to be bitch slapped before it's too late.

To be fair - The United States haven't exactly covered themselves in glory regarding human rights, considering the amount of countries they have invaded,
raped and pillaged since the UDHR was conceived in 1948.
Not many human rights granted to the millions of civilians killed by the US military across the world.
Neither is there much human rights in the US domestically, where the penal Gulags imprison twice as many per capita than anywhere else in the world. Mostly Black people.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Black Death = We know how that works and how it spreads, and, more importantly, we have means to mitigate and cure it, so it's no longer anywhere near as terrible or apocalyptic as it was in medieval Europe.
Floods = Mostly important for their damage to buildings/facilities. Human losses will be low with adequate response, maybe even material losses could be mostly averted if the Chinese decide to do some crazy engineering of some kind (I mean, they build fake islands on the ocean, so why not?)
Famine = This one is a little harder, but maybe incentives for food imports or advances in their own food production.
Coronavirus = As I understand it, for relatively young people (below 50/60 years old), COVID has low fatality rate.

We are talking almost a billion and half people. A lot of people to kill with three things that have low chance of reaching most of the population and/or they're rather low-fatality rate, while a fourth one could be solved through trade.

You also forget that china promotes the use of traditional Chinese herbal medicines rather than western medicines that have been developed to cure the abc or xyz of diseases. So for china population it can be devastating.

With the flooding - theres a lot of rumors floating that it was a deliberate act by the governing party to wipe out evidence of Cov-19 but other parts of china are also currently flooded.

As for Cov-19 - loads of people died. So much so that China wont even release actual figures. I dont think they even know exactly how many bodies they cremated and they had their crematoriums running 24/7 as well as waste incinerators pulling double duty because the crematoriums were so fully booked.

You give too much credit to the CCP that they'll do the right thing if shit hits the fan, Its been proven many times that they wont.

Anyway - this is an offtopic post so i'll leave it here. If you wish to debate further then pm me.

Goflying

You also forget that china promotes the use of traditional Chinese herbal medicines rather than western medicines that have been developed to cure the abc or xyz of diseases. So for china population it can be devastating.

With the flooding - theres a lot of rumors floating that it was a deliberate act by the governing party to wipe out evidence of Cov-19 but other parts of china are also currently flooded.

As for Cov-19 - loads of people died. So much so that China wont even release actual figures. I dont think they even know exactly how many bodies they cremated and they had their crematoriums running 24/7 as well as waste incinerators pulling double duty because the crematoriums were so fully booked.

You give too much credit to the CCP that they'll do the right thing if shit hits the fan, Its been proven many times that they wont.

Anyway - this is an offtopic post so i'll leave it here. If you wish to debate further then pm me.
I'm in Wuhan now. What you said is not true at all. You might as well come to China to have a look, don't watch the media report all day
It's true only when you see it with your own eyes

This virus is a dick. Black death = dead if you get it, not dead if you don't. Covid, 99,000 different scenarios which may kill or not or just disable you for the rest of your life. It's a dick virus.

Processor i5 750 4.2ghz 1.4V
Motherboard Gigabyte P55-UD4P
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 2X2G Gskill @2140 8-11-8-28-1T
Video Card(s) 2xGainward Phantom3 570@860/4200
Storage 2xWD 500G AAKS Raid0 + 2XWD 1T Green in Raid0
Display(s) 24" HP w2408h+23" HP w2338h
Case SilverStone Raven2E-B
Audio Device(s) onboard for now
Power Supply Antec 1000W Truepower quattro
Software Win7 Ultimate 64bit

You don't need rapidly growing middle class for silicons, they are dirt cheap in China anyway. Go China :rockout: