• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Reportedly Cancels Launch of RTX 3080 20 GB, RTX 3070 16 GB

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
We can look it up as well as you, but if you’ve been paying attention the last 6 months there are recent games but also a number of games that have retroactively added RTX, DLSS. Additionally, the number of games in development that will implement this technology is growing quickly. Here’s an article which covers what we knew 2 months ago:

Not to mention both consoles and amd discrete gpus now have RT hardware. Since everyone is in the game now and its in consoles, we should see things ramp up faster.

I never understood the reasoning or desire for so much ram on a gaming card. Even at 4k resolution some games barely break the 4GB mark.
Witcher 3 didn't even break 2GB at 4k.
Especially since the typically graphics card life is 3yrs, dumping all that cash for ram, that may not get used and tossed in 3 years seems a bit wasteful to me.

I would say 8GB-12GB for 4k for the next 3yrs should be more than adequate. I think TPU should start adding gpu vram usage to it's reviews.

Maybe graphics card makers should put so-dimm slots on the cards and make 4GB modules so people can put on 32GB if they want to burn money.

As for me I am satisfied with an 8GB card, and I don't feel like spending extra cash on ram that I will never use.

what you are saying is true if you only use a pc for games. i am into 3d modeling and 20gb of video ram would have been beyond amazing. i know i could get a 3090 but that would bust my budget and the only reason to get it would be the vram.

i knew a 3080 with 20vram was too good to be true.

Jdp245

Anyway, IMO 20GB is overkill. By the time games saturate that the GPU will be too slow anyway.
Kind of reminds me of the HD5870 2GB edition, which never really saw the benefit of double VRAM due to the GPU becoming useless for those games that could use more VRAM.

For most games, it is overkill. But some games are already maxing out 10 GB. For example, Microsoft Flight Simulator will fill that up right now. Not sure if more VRAM on a 3080 would help that title, or if it is preloading a bunch of stuff it doesn’t need, but I can’t imagine we won’t see titles within the lifetime of the 3080 that do better with more than 10 GB at max resolutions.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
For most games, it is overkill. But some games are already maxing out 10 GB. For example, Microsoft Flight Simulator will fill that up right now. Not sure if more VRAM on a 3080 would help that title, or if it is preloading a bunch of stuff it doesn’t need, but I can’t imagine we won’t see titles within the lifetime of the 3080 that do better with more than 10 GB at max resolutions.
Again, for the thousandth time, Allocation of VRAM is NOT Usage. This has been tested repeatedly from 12GB down to 6.

If you really think in the 3080 lifetime that game developers are going to forfeit sales by deliberately making games that will basically ignore the lower VRAM amounts of lesser cards, then you are unaware that they need to make a profit. You only do that by making games that are within the capability of mainstream cards, usually of the previous generation.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
Just several weeks ago, DF, in their "exclusive preview" used the fact that Doom ultra textures do not fit into 8GB, to mislead people about 2080 vs 3080 performance.

some games are already maxing out 10 GB. For example, Microsoft Flight Simulator will fill that up right now.
It used up to 12.3GB VRAM with my Radeon VII at 3440x1440. But sometimes it only used about 10GB VRAM while the system RAM contained that extra 2GB.
Since My system had a lot of VRAM FS2020 never used much more than 10-14GB RAM despite having 32GB available while people with less VRAM were reporting it needed more than 16GB.

If games were made with higher texture detail and less pop in they could use 20GB no problem and with minimal performance hit to those with enough memory as the GPU performance hit comes more from lighting effects which is lighter on memory usage.

I believe AMD could beat Nvidia this round and Nvidia will release a revision of the 3000 series within six months to claim back it's edge and that will likely come with more memory.
As others have said adding more VRAM to there current line now doesnt make much sence as they are already expencive and have high enough power use but with some tweaks a new revision of the cards soon after could make more sense.

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
It was always a stupid idea. Anyone that's been around for a while can tell you what happened when they had "higher VRAM" models of cards back in the day. They always performed almost identical to their lower VRAM equivalents. The cards are designed for X GB of VRAM, and adding more usually means the GPU cannot properly move the all the information anyway, and most of that VRAM goes completely unutilized. It was just an excuse for them to charge $100/$200+ for a 3080/3090 from people that assume More VRAM = More Performance.

Jdp245

If you really think in the 3080 lifetime that game developers are going to forfeit sales by deliberately making games that will basically ignore the lower VRAM amounts of lesser cards, then you are unaware that they need to make a profit. You only do that by making games that are within the capability of mainstream cards, usually of the previous generation.

This is not the same thing as whether more VRAM would increase performance over the lifespan of the model. Games are made to work on a wide variety of hardware. That doesn’t mean that all hardware will be able to max out all of the features of the game. It may be the case that the GPU performance will bottleneck the 3080 before having “only” 10 GB of VRAM will. But that is the question, not whether quality of games can be scaled down to lower-performing hardware. (Of course it can.)

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
This is not the same thing as whether more VRAM would increase performance over the lifespan of the model. Games are made to work on a wide variety of hardware. That doesn’t mean that all hardware will be able to max out all of the features of the game. It may be the case that the GPU performance will bottleneck the 3080 before having “only” 10 GB of VRAM will. But that is the question, not whether quality of games can be scaled down to lower-performing hardware. (Of course it can.)
AGAIN, VRAM Allocation by games is NOT VRAM Usage. And I said nothing about whether games can scale down.

What you are not comprehending is the tests done right here on TPU have shown that there was no loss in game quality or performance by going to lower VRAM amounts. What this clearly shows is games are only filling up what is available, NOT using it.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
what you are saying is true if you only use a pc for games. i am into 3d modeling and 20gb of video ram would have been beyond amazing. i know i could get a 3090 but that would bust my budget and the only reason to get it would be the vram.

i knew a 3080 with 20vram was too good to be true.

Yep, hence why I specifically stated "gaming cards"

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Rumor: RTX 3070 Ti
To tackle Radeon RX 6800 XL (an alleged name for the lowest-tier Navi 21 graphics card, according to @KittyYYuko).

If if was ever a plan, nvidia is obviosuly convined AMDs cards are not a threat. Multile SKUs with different VRAMs has never been about perfiormance but of user perception. That's because if perception not reality, In other words, to borrow the words of Indigo Montaoya "I don't think that word means what you think it means" and that word is VRAM "allocation". Just because a card decides to allocate a certain amount of VRAM, that doesn't mean it actually benefits from more VRAM . Every time that two versions of a card have been tested with different VRAM amounts, the only times th extra VRAM have been shown to make a difference in fps, is when the GPU was unable to produce enough fps to make the gme playable. I don't care if doubling the VRAMbrings a 33% improvement when that so called improvement takes me from 15 tp 20 fps. The game is still unplayable.

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Motherboard MSI x570S Unify-X Max
Cooling D5 clone, 280 rad, two F14 + three F12S bottom/intake, two P14S + F14S (Rad) + two F14 (top)
Memory 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance bdie 3600@CL16 1.35v
Video Card(s) GB 2080S WaterForce WB
Storage six M.2 pcie gen 4
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar AE, modded Sennheiser HD 558, Klipsch 2.1 THX
Power Supply Corsair RMx 750w
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
Benchmark Scores TimeSpy score Fire Strike Ultra SuperPosition CB20
funny how ppl think that because there is a new chip, it needs more vram.
same for vram bandwidth where ppl whine when numbers dont go up/decrease,
yet has never been an issue in real world use (as other things improve (compression) and reducing the need for more bandwidth in the first place).

- 60-80% of all gamers on the planet are running FHD, so yeah, they really need those 10gb.
- by the time you use more than 10gb, most chips run out of power, hence useless to have more, unless cards get faster.
- no Ti/S version increased vram over non-ti/S, not sure why ppl always name those models. past releases show it (how about 1060 as 3 and 6, no ti or S??)
its not like they cant say xx65/75/85, and never even release anything S/Ti.

and regarding prices:
how many of you have "protested" that porsche/lambos (or any equivalent) are overpriced, and need to be as cheap and affordable like your chevy/toyota/vw (etc)?
right.
just because "you" think something is overpriced/no value, doesnt mean thats for everyone.
buy or dont, your choice. but dont sour it for others that will (like ppl with +100k/y income, or nothing else to pay for)

Last edited:
- by the time you use more than 10gb, most chips run out of power, hence useless to have more, unless cards get faster.
- no Ti/S version increased vram over non-ti/S, not sure why ppl always name those models. past releases show it (how about 1060 as 3 and 6, no ti or S??)
its not like they cant say xx65/75/85, and never even release anything S/Ti.

The reason they were cancelled is it is marketing illusion only .... no side by side comparison testing from 6xx, 7xx, 9xx, 10xx, 20xx has ever shown a significant difference between 2 different VRAM versions of the same card. As you crank up the settings to a point where VRAM makes a difference, as w1zzard has said ... "you'll run out of shading power long before memory becomes a problem" ... the 1060 illustrated this perfectly. So much so that when nVidia prepared the 3 GB card, they disabled 11% of the shaders ,,, otherwise peformance would have been identical. If the "Not enough VRAM" was true, the 6% performance difference at 1080p would have to increase at 1440p... and yet, the difference was the same 6%. Needs more RAM theory ... busted.

Reactions: Rei