• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple A14 SoC Put Under the Microscope; Die Size, and Transistor Density Calculated

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
Apple has established itself as a master of silicon integrated circuit design and has proven over the years that its processors deliver the best results, generation after generation. If we take a look at the performance numbers of the latest A14 Bionic, you can conclude that its performance is now rivaling some of the x86_64 chips. So you would wonder, what is inside this SoC that makes it so fast? That is exactly what ICmasters, a semiconductor reverse engineering and IP services company, has questioned and decided to find out. For starters, we know that Apple manufactures the new SoCs on TSMC's N5 5 nm node. The Taiwanese company promises to pack 171.3 million transistors per square millimeter, so how does it compare to an actual product?

ICmasters have used electron microscopy to see what the chip is made out of and to measure the transistor density. According to this source, Apple has a chip with a die size of 88 mm², which packs 11.8 billion N5 transistors. The density metric, however, doesn't correspond to that of TSMC. Instead of 171.3 million transistors per mm², the ICmasters measured 134.09 million transistors per mm². This is quite a difference, however, it is worth noting that each design will have it different due to different logic and cache layout.

The SoC packs a 16-core neural engine, quad-cluster GPU, and six general-purpose cores, two of which are high-performance "big" FireStorm cores, while the remaining six are more efficient "LITTLE" IceStorm designs. If we break down the die usage of these cores, we can see that FireStorm cores with a big level two (L2) cache use about 9.1 mm² of the die, while the four IceStorm cores with small L2 cache use 6.44 mm². The GPU cluster is using about 11.65 mm² sizes of the portion. There is a unified system cache present on the die, however, it is a bit hard to find.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Year 2020, AMD flipped both Intel and Nvidia, covid caused havoc. I would not be surprised to see Apple in x86 cpu sector. Nothing will surprise me anymore.

System Name Lenovo Legion 5
Processor AMD® Ryzen™ 7 5800H Processor 8C/16T 3.2 GHz (16M Cache, up to 4.45 GHz) @ 4605MHz (44.5x103.5MHz)
Cooling Dual Fan 3 heatpipes
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 3200MT/s CL18-19-19-43
Video Card(s) NVIDIA® GeForce™ RTX 3060 6GB GDDR6 192-bit 3840 SM TGP 140W @2167MHz max clock
Storage Crucial CT500P3PSSD8 500GB NVMe + SAMSUNG MZALQ512HBLU-00BL2 512GB NVMe
Display(s) 15.6" FHD 165Hz (1920x1080) 16:9 IPS 300nits Anti-glare
Audio Device(s) Nahimic, Logitec G332
Power Supply 300W
Keyboard Backlit
Software Windows 11 Home 64-bit
six general-purpose cores, two of which are high-performance "big" FireStorm cores, while the remaining six are more efficient "LITTLE" IceStorm designs.

Meant to be four if my maths don't fail me :p:p

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
To put this in perspective, comptemplate this:

6,283,471.52 people living in a 2 BR efficiency apartment on the 82nd floor of your local slum neighborhood, hehehehe :roll:

Year 2020, AMD flipped both Intel and Nvidia, covid caused havoc. I would not be surprised to see Apple in x86 cpu sector. Nothing will surprise me anymore.
Apple in x86 ok with what license exactly!? Emulation I don't see unseating native x86 in a hurry that's a pipedream not at the high end of the spectrum anyway. Short of Apple licensing Ryzen tech from AMD. I'd include Intel in the licensing situation, but Apple and lax security seems like a no go. Now AMD licensing out Ryzen and RNDA2 IP to Apple to design that is certainly a real plausible scenario especially if Nvidia tries to stick it to them with ARM when they already seem to dislike them a fair bit.

Apple in x86 ok with what license exactly!? Emulation I don't see unseating native x86 in a hurry that's a pipedream not at the high end of the spectrum anyway. Short of Apple licensing Ryzen tech from AMD. I'd include Intel in the licensing situation, but Apple and lax security seems like a no go. Now AMD licensing out Ryzen and RNDA2 IP to Apple to design that is certainly a real plausible scenario especially if Nvidia tries to stick it to them with ARM when they already seem to dislike them a fair bit.

you can not be serious ! I was just having a light hearted fun !

Emulation I don't see unseating native x86 in a hurry that's a pipedream not at the high end of the spectrum anyway.

You may be surprised to see how well custom silicon can translate x86 in real time with the right software. It's been done before.

Now AMD licensing out Ryzen and RNDA2 IP to Apple to design that is certainly a real plausible scenario especially if Nvidia tries to stick it to them with ARM when they already seem to dislike them a fair bit.

Nah. Imagine nVidia choosing to cut off their own leg by screwing with Apple's license in any way. nVidia doesn't want to build GPUs for Apple, that doesn't mean they want to actively hurt the bottom line by cutting their ARM license.

Just do it leather jacket man and at a better price, TDP, and performance with equal or more capabilities...in a hurry ASAP.