• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PCIe 6.0 Specification Reaches Milestone, Remains on Track for a 2021 Release

Well, according to SATA-IO's FAQ, here is what they claim: Doubling the native SATA speed would take too much time to catch up with the advancements in SSD technology, would require too many changes to the SATA standard & would result in a much greater power consumption compared with the existing PCI Express bus. As a widely adopted computer bus, PCI Express provides sufficient bandwidth while allowing easy scaling up by using faster or additional lanes.

While I do think that NVMe M.2 has replaced SATA as a boot drive bus but as a general storage PC bus, SATA is far from being replaced especially since much of legacy hardware is still supported. Though sooner or later, USB will eventually replace SATA once the software department could no longer support legacy systems.
SATAExpress sounds good as long as it uses the same connector and is backward compatible(which seems the case on both points), I'm cool with that.
Fewer PCIe lanes should be a reason. If you quadruple PCIe bandwidth from what you're using now, then 16 lanes sounds like a whole lot more. Storage might only need a single PCIe lane and GPUs only 4. In that situation, 16 lanes sounds like more than enough. Cheaper chips could even have fewer PCIe lanes if they run faster, which makes for a smaller PCIe controller, fewer traces in the motherboard, and fewer pins/contacts on the CPU. Across the board, PCIe improves are a win. They just take time to be adopted in the consumer market.

A great example is the Radeon Pro 5600m in my laptop. It's only connected with 8 PCIe lanes at 3.0. Imagine if you only needed two lanes to do the same thing. Or even if you don't have wide adoption, what if Intel or AMD used it as the interconnect to their chipset/PCH. Then it starts sounding like a much better PCIe switch if it's 4 lanes to 20 lanes. It's just progress and there is nothing wrong with progress.

Edit: Also, you need a spec before you can implement it. This stuff takes time and doesn't happen overnight.
While those are good points, it's just not a necessity at this point in time.

Reactions: Rei
System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
This isn't for home users, not even for prosumers. This is for data centre use only as they can always use more speed, especially for more storage and GPUs and alike. I doubt we're likely to see anything beyond PCI-e 5.0 for home users before 2030.

We will see it if the tech is there, it makes people buy new motherboards. So board vendors will stick it on.

While those are good points, it's just not a necessity at this point in time.
Yeah I don't agree with that, number of PCIe lanes even for PC isn't going down unless you're doing Renoir type of compromise in laptops. The simple reason is that while the CPU, MB may support let's say PCIe 6.0 if the consumer just has a PCIe 4.0 device that speed will go down drastically, by 1/2 or even 1/4 if we reduce the lanes. I asked about this in a previous thread, since PCIe 6 (x1 or x2) lanes cannot be converted into PCIe 4.0 (4x or 8x) lanes on the fly what Aquinus is proposing will not happen, or at least should not happen.

PCIe 6.0 never will be presented for consumer MB's. To incorporate it, PCB must have much better quality of lines or will need to add amplifiers and prices will be unacceptable.