• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung Could Become Apple's Newest Chip Supplier

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
Apple has recently announced its transition to Apple Silicon, meaning that every processor inside its products will be custom designed by the company. However, that seems to be becoming a bit of a problem. The sole supplier of chips for Apple has been Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC), which Apple collaborated with for the past few years. The sheer capacity of TSMC is enough to satisfy the demand from several companies and thus it allows some of them to book its capacity. With Apple demanding more and more capacity than ever before, it is becoming quite hard to keep up with it. That is why Apple is, according to some analysts for Business Korea, looking for a foundry beyond TSMC's to manufacture its chips.

According to the source, Apple is looking at the direction of Samsung Electronics and its silicon manufacturing facilities. Samsung has recently started the production of its 5 nm silicon manufacturing node. We have reported that the first SoCs are set to arrive soon. However, it may be possible that Apple's M1 lineup of SoCs will be a part of that first wave. Apple is reportedly going to tap both TSMC and Samsung to qualify enough supply for the huge demand of the products based on the latest 5 nm technology.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
That'd be a real doozy. Not only will that make Samsung a manufacturer of all popular mobile chipsets (I'm not even counting mediatek and huawei at this point), but a one-stop shop for three most critical components in Apple's mobile devices (sAMOLED screens, RAM, SoC).

Samsung has an incredibly high target to hit and Apple is already going to push the precision of TSMC to the limit during the next couple generations. Samsung may not get flagship contracts if they can't match TSMCs quality.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I hope Apple enjoys sub-par quality in products and unable to fill demand (looking at you samsung 8nm rtx 3000 series)

ps5 uses a soldered on samsung nvme ^

Isn't that what AMD is doing? Using TSMC for CPU's and Samsung for GPU's. At least that is what I heard will be happening with RDNA3 next year as the GPU's will be at 5nm from Samsung. Which means AMD is already using them I would assume and has orders in for them.

System Name MacBook Pro 16"
Processor M1 Pro
Memory 16GB unified memory
Storage 1 TB
I hope Apple enjoys sub-par quality in products and unable to fill demand (looking at you samsung 8nm rtx 3000 series)

You don't need to be that cringe now do you?

I don't understand this argument at all, as if TSMC 7nm would magically make a 3080 as fast as a 3090 or 6900XT, It will at most let it run at perhaps less power but that doesn't make it easily run at lower temps as the transistor density is even more tight nor even increase the 88C max that Nvidia set for Ampere. And Samsung has the best in class memory technology until that 980Pro where they conceeded their MLC leadership, B-Die we don't even need introduction. I hope people realize that Zen 3 has I/O die made in U.S at GloFo on 12nm for the Ryzen and TR while EPYC is on 14nm yeah how many still remember this thing ? & Xbox SX/PS5 full SoC with RDNA2 and Zen 2 is on TSMC 7m. It's basically Economies of scale.

System Name The Expanse
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-Pro BIOS 5003 AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.B
Cooling Corsair H150i Pro
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident RGB DDR4-3200 14-14-14-34-1T (B-Die)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24GB (24.3.1)
Storage WD SN850X 2TB / Corsair MP600 1TB / Samsung 860Evo 1TB x2 Raid 0 / Asus NAS AS1004T V2 14TB
Display(s) LG 34GP83A-B 34 Inch 21: 9 UltraGear Curved QHD (3440 x 1440) 1ms Nano IPS 160Hz
Case Fractal Design Meshify S2
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi + Logitech Z-5500 + HS80 Wireless
Power Supply Corsair AX850 Titanium
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB SE
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 22H2
Benchmark Scores 3800X https://valid.x86.fr/1zr4a5 5800X https://valid.x86.fr/2dey9c
Isn't that what AMD is doing? Using TSMC for CPU's and Samsung for GPU's. At least that is what I heard will be happening with RDNA3 next year as the GPU's will be at 5nm from Samsung. Which means AMD is already using them I would assume and has orders in for them.

AMD uses TSMC for Cpu's and Gpu's Nvidia is the one using Samsung for GPU's. And I agree with lynx29 above I would have prefered them use someone else for their SSD's.

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Apple just needs to friggin BUY TSMC already, and be done with it.... that way they could control E V E R Y T H I N G, from R&D, mfgr'ing, packaging, marketing, etc etc...which will fit their MO perfectly, hehehe :)

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
Good. Taiwan and TSMC is a timebomb.

Yeah... I don't want to think what would happen to CPU production and development for the whole world if China decided that the time has come.

I hear that Nvidia we very magnanimous in offering their Samsung contract to Apple for a good price.

Yeah... I don't want to think what would happen to CPU production and development for the whole world if China decided that the time has come.

I am not saying it will happen, but both US and Japan ran through simulation for X day, and US election chaos is one of the better opportunity.

That being said, current administration have repeatedly guarantee safety of Taiwan, and have increased arm sales, it is unlikely that China make any move, considering chinese economy have somewhat stabilized after long lock down.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Apple's monstrously wide cores wont go well with an inferior node. Anyway, I see companies are still trying to threaten TSMC because of their prices, Apple is a pretty big customer I wonder if they'll budge this time.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
That's a mistake in design. I think I might skip the PS5 until the drive is replaceable.

yeah it is a horrible design, especially if the rumors are true and it starts failing in a widespread manner. a firmware update can't fix it I bet. and it's not like a simple replacement item can be shipped to the customer. Sony may have very well shot themselves in the foot on this one. we will know in 6-8 months. it will take that long to see if the failure rate is wide spread or not I imagine...

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
I think I might skip the PS5 until the drive is replaceable.

I think the whole WORLD would be well advised to avoid the PS5, as in a boycott, that would surely force Shlony to both acknowledge & fix the problem ASAP, and replace their shitty designs with user-replaceable/upgradeable drives, AND immediately offer free replacement units to everyone who has already bought one of the defective models....

As always people, you can choose to vote with your wallet/credit cards, hahaha :)

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I think the whole WORLD would be well advised to avoid the PS5, as in a boycott, that would surely force Shlony to both acknowledge & fix the problem ASAP, and replace their shitty designs with user-replaceable/upgradeable drives, AND immediately offer free replacement units to everyone who has already bought one of the defective models....

As always people, you can choose to vote with your wallet/credit cards, hahaha :)

well if nvme drives start failing in mass in 4-8 months, Sony is in deep deep trouble, might even bankrupt them since there will be no easy fix... soldering the nvme drive to mobo was a terrible idea.

I just wish more exclusives would come to PC, those games would be so much more fun with a mouse and keyboard... all the aiming in Uncharted, last of us, god of war (axe and bow and arrow), etc.

well if nvme drives start failing in mass in 4-8 months, Sony is in deep deep trouble, might even bankrupt them since there will be no easy fix... soldering the nvme drive to mobo was a terrible idea.

I just wish more exclusives would come to PC, those games would be so much more fun with a mouse and keyboard... all the aiming in Uncharted, last of us, god of war (axe and bow and arrow), etc.

God of War, I highly doubt if we can pull the super fast combos on KBM, DS4 RPCS3 is fantastic, I suggest everyone to play the whole Greek Mythos series on the RPCS3 only, it runs superb. Only 2 titles are left out of 5, rest all are playable 100% with super smooth. I like Hack n Slash action games a lot, DMC 5 plays good on KBM but with DS4 you can pull off insane moves as for RDR and Uncharted, yep need KBM for proper aim, and for Killzone as well, much better if we have KBM. We can emulate the Mouse mapping along with KB in Emulator but it's a lot of work to do and remember on top..

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
Samsung is not up to TSMC's quality, or output. But I could see Apple potentially moving older, non-cutting edge chips over to them.