• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TSMC Increases Orders of EUV Tools Amid High Demand

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
In the latest report by DigiTimes, it is said that TSMC has placed an order on 13 Extreme Ultra-Violet (EUV) machines from the Dutch company ASML. Thanks to the rapid increase in demand for its silicon, TSMC has developed plans for expansion across the next few years to satisfy the existing and upcoming customers. Usually, the company knows and can predict its demand for a future period. That is why TSMC is expanding its capacities with 13 additional ASML Twinscan NXE EUV scanners. These machines are set to be delivered by the course of 2021. It is unknown exactly when these machines are going to be delivered and installed at TSMC's facilities, however, it is fascinating that the demand for the company's capacities is ever-expanding. The price of single EUV machinery is as much as $175.75 million, so it is estimated that the expansion of capacity will cost TSMC a whopping $2.284,75 million. Despite the high pricing, the Return on Investment (ROI) is very high for TSMC.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

I am sure that there are serious discounts when ordering 5+ or 10+ units in bulk, compared to buying only one machine.

Korben

The price of single EUV machinery is as much as $175.75 million, so it is estimated that the expansion of capacity will cost TSMC a whopping $2.284,75 billion
Check your math...

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
I am sure that there are serious discounts when ordering 5+ or 10+ units in bulk, compared to buying only one machine.

if are, discounts are minimal considering that ASML can't face the demand; ASML is currently the only supplier of EUV lith. and the other manufacturers are way behind...Applied - the other big manufacturer has already lost the 1st position and seems they won't produce EUV...so ASML is in a strong position

Despite the monopoly, I am sure that there are discounts and the price for 13 machines is not equal to the sum of the retail price for one machine.

if are, discounts are minimal considering that ASML can't face the demand; ASML is currently the only supplier of EUV lith. and the other manufacturers are way behind...Applied - the other big manufacturer has already lost the 1st position and seems they won't produce EUV...so ASML is in a strong position

I'm sure that TSMC isn't paying that listed price in the first place. Industrial equipment is always customized to meet specific buyers requirement - and with that comes additional engineering work, testing that otherwise wouldn't be necessary, 3rd party parts and work etc. If they (TSMC) are buying several identical machines, it reduces price considerably. Since they are big customer, it reduces price (even for one machine)... My company routinely gets 15-20% discounts, sometimes more - and we are not major buyers.

That listed price is probably orientation-only, the real contract value is a trade secret. But no doubt the overall price is huge...

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
You go TSMC....bring it !!!!!!!

System Name SYBARIS
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI Arsenal Gaming B450 Tomahawk
Cooling Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi
Memory Team T-Force Delta RGB 2x8GB 3200CL16
Video Card(s) Colorful GeForce RTX 2060 6GV2
Storage Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black WD1003FZEX 1TB | Seagate ST1000LM024 1TB | WD My Passport Slim 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 24" 144hz IPS
Case Montech Air ARGB
Audio Device(s) Massdrop + Sennheiser PC37X | QKZ x HBB
Power Supply Corsair CX650-F
Mouse Razer Viper Mini | Cooler Master MM711 | Logitech G102 | Logitech G402
Keyboard Drop + The Lord of the Rings Dwarvish
Software Windows 10 Education 22H2 x64
Oh of course. I see. Thanks for pointing out. Fixed now :)
You europeans number point system is so confusing. Since in the OP, single machine costs 175.75 million then total cost would be 2,284.75 million or 2.28475 billion

OP has . or period for decimal point while @Korben and OP in later comments has , or comma.

After updating OP. Single price is using period for decimal while total price is using comma.