• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Buy/Sell Forum

Silverstone

Why not create one?

Some of us have heatware I'm sure, just post a disclaimer that the site isn't responsible for any business dealings?

:toast:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
not sure if we are big enough for a buying/selling forum yet.. any other opinions?

Migons

Processor Athlon 64 3500+ ClawHammer
Motherboard Asus A8V Deluxe Rev. 2.00
Cooling Zalman CNPS7700-Cu
Memory 2x 512MB A-Data Vitesta DDR500
Video Card(s) Club 3D GeForce 6200 128MB
Storage Seagate 7200.7 160GB + 80GB SATA 8MB
Display(s) Dell M770 17" CRT (!!!)
Case Antec Performance PlusView1000AMG
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Live! 5.1
Power Supply Nexus NX-4090 400W
Software FreeBSD 6.2 w/ custom kernel
W1zzard said:
not sure if we are big enough for a buying/selling forum yet.. any other opinions?

I agree. Maybe not much people from same continents. Or does our South-african member want to buy/sell something from/to Canada? Or Australia?

But trying doesn't hurt anyone...

Silverstone

The one thing I especially like about this site is its diverse inhabitants, lol.

There seems to be quite a few US people here too I noticed. Anyhow, it was just a thought.

Inside Europe ( Europe to Europe deal) it should be fairly easy to deal, no?

Inside the US (US to US) its very easy.

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
W1zzard said:

I'm against a 4 sale/ trading forum .... but if we do I'd like to see us be an approved selling site by these guys here....

Last edited:

Silverstone

Trollhunters & HeatWare will both be needed to assist, as in any other sites Buy/Sell Forum.

Why would anyone be "against" a Buy/Sell Forum? I've never gotten beat nor ripped anyone off in any of my dealings...

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Silverstone said:
Trollhunters & HeatWare will both be needed to assist, as in any other sites Buy/Sell Forum.

Why would anyone be "against" a Buy/Sell Forum? I've never gotten beat nor ripped anyone off in any of my dealings...

Good for you Silverstone, not everyone is as fortunate. I'm viewing it from the other side in terms of it being a pain to moderate as well .... not totally against it but not sure it's worth the hassle ..

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Silverstone said:
understood, Urlyin.

But hey ... ideas are always welcomed and it's W1zzard you need to convince :D

LutaWicasa

Whatever you folks decide...if I can be of any help at any time, just rattle my cage :)

The idea existed before, don't think it'll work though. People wanted IRC as well, nobody used it though, this will die out just as fast.

What could a trade forum here offer that e-bay can't?

Silverstone

DanTheBanjoman said:
The idea existed before, don't think it'll work though. People wanted IRC as well, nobody used it though, this will die out just as fast.

eGay requires fees, paypal requires fees.

When I sell something I want a US postal money order & nothing else.

I've sold "Angry Games" a DFI Street dot com admin items before, nobody I know uses Ebay. I've sold many items online to others as well, never on Ebay. My nic @ dfi street is ZigZagZeppelin, I sold AG a Lian Li pc65B for $40.

Anything on Ebay sold can be seen by US gov't & taxed, the new Patriot Act here gives our gov't lots of new power.

LutaWicasa

DanTheBanjoman said:

Well...generally, trading at a community such as this tends to offer the opportunity of dealing with folks that one already knows somewhat ;)

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
^ im not really supporting this or saying no..but he has a good point

LutaWicasa

Solaris17 said:
^ im not really supporting this or saying no..but he has a good point

As I'm a n00b here...nor am I.
But, I'll drop my lil' nuggets of wisdom both pro and con :)

wazzledoozle

Processor X2 3800+ @ 2.3 GHz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty SLI-DR
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9500 LED
Memory 2x1 Gb OCZ Plat. @ 3-3-2-8-1t 460 MHz
Video Card(s) HIS IceQ 4670 512Mb
Storage 640Gb & 160Gb western digital sata drives
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen LCD w/ DVI 5ms
Case Thermaltake Soprano
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 softmod@Audigy 4, Logitech X-530 5:1
Power Supply Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 500w
Software XP Pro
This is such a multi-nation/continent forum that it should maintain its focus on being a forum, not a market place. And if we did establish a buy/sell section here, it would draw people away from other places and cause fewer listings everywhere. ExtremeOverclocking forums has a huge user base and a good marketplace, complete with ebay-style feedback system.

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Guys in case you didn't know LutaWicasa is a member of the Troll Hunters ... guys that take their own time to track down Buyers/Sellers that prey on others. I asked him to stop by and post some words of wisdom... :toast: thks LutaWicasa ( TrollHunters )

Dan makes a good point, along with a few others and it is a larger undertaking then most might think. Nothing against Silverstone and welcome his ideas as we should from any member, but just don't think we're ready...

LutaWicasa

OK...lemme tell ya.
Running a good Classifieds section can indeed be a fair amount of work. With a thriving community, if it takes off right away....you'd need someone to mod that section exclusively.
It is ,IMNSHO, better to have some "requirement" for Classies access...you don't want or need every Tom, Dick and Harry wandering in, that kinda defeats the purpose of dealing with folks you already know.
No matter what, sooner or later there will be a situation where someone gets screwed...unavoidable, nothing is 100% secure.
So...to sum up.
There would be additional staff (specifically Classies Mod)
That additional staff would need thier own usergroup...sort of a limited Admin type access.
There should be additional usergroups set up (after whatever requirement is met, auto-promotion to Classies access...and a group for those who have shown they cannot handle access;))...so, a bit extra work for Admin.
The new section itself to set up along with an area to hold all threads (Sold, deleted, etc...when it comes to folk's money, you never completely delete these threads...or shouldn't ;))
If you set a "post count" requirement...you'll need to deal with those who attempt to "spam" thier way up to that number.
If you want as secure as possible an FS section as you can get...you need to implement some kind of "verification" process (pics, personal info, etc)...also it's best that those using Classies have a real email addy on file, no "free"mails.

Yes...it is indeed some work to do...it can be a PITA as well. But, after you have things set up and kinks worked out, it can also be a help to the community.

Guess that's about all I can think of off the top of my head :D

Velocity

Processor Amd X2 5200
Motherboard DFI Lanparty UT
Cooling Antec Heat Pipe Cooler
Memory 2gb Kingston Hyperx
Video Card(s) BFG Tech 8800gtx (768mb)
Storage 1 80g raptor, 1 250g western digital, 2 80g maxtor diamond plus
Display(s) Starlogic 19inch crt, and generic 17inch crt
Case Coolermaster Centurion 5 (Blue)
Audio Device(s) Onboard FTW
Power Supply Antec Neopower
Software XP Pro
I personaly think it would be a great idea... All we would have to do would be to take all liabilities off the staff. Also another idea i thought of would be to require that people have a heatware account (not having to have feedback yet) and have to agree on a certain amount of contactable hours per week in order to be able to create the thread(i hate buying somthing from somone who sends you 1 pm a week). Also keep in mind that this could result in more members, which is good for the forum, but it could also backfire in resulting in a bunch of noobs and trolls, but i must say that every single forum with a fs thread did well (or atleast did for some time).

System Name death machine
Processor intel 6600 quad core cooled by scythe mutgen 2
Motherboard dfi lanparty UT P35-T2R
Cooling air
Memory crucial ballistic tracer 4 gb
Video Card(s) nvida 260 gtx
Storage segate baracuta 500 GB , western digital blue 1TB
Display(s) asus 23.6 vh242h
Case lian-li pc-a70 full tower
Power Supply 650 watt Antec Earth Watts
Software windows 7 and lots of other titles
guys the thing to consiter is how meny people want to buy or sell somthing also ther is a major
problem we come from all over the world and i do not think sales to the same people will help(same people .... same land mass). it my mind i do not think it would work but i could be wrong . but it is all up to wizzard it is his site so he makes the call to say yes or no

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
the geographical problem could be solved by having two forums "USA" and "Europe" that's where the majority of our readers are from.

Velocity

Processor Amd X2 5200
Motherboard DFI Lanparty UT
Cooling Antec Heat Pipe Cooler
Memory 2gb Kingston Hyperx
Video Card(s) BFG Tech 8800gtx (768mb)
Storage 1 80g raptor, 1 250g western digital, 2 80g maxtor diamond plus
Display(s) Starlogic 19inch crt, and generic 17inch crt
Case Coolermaster Centurion 5 (Blue)
Audio Device(s) Onboard FTW
Power Supply Antec Neopower
Software XP Pro
W1zzard said:
the geographical problem could be solved by having two forums "USA" and "Europe" that's where the majority of our readers are from.

Agreed. Also shipping small things internationaly isnt going to be too much extra (granted a few extra dollars), and if its an expensive item just charge the buyer shipping. Shipping is an easy thing to deal with, the problem occurs with the sellers/buyers availability.

ShadowFlare

Processor Athlon 64 Venice 3200+ 2.0 GHz, max 2.6 GHz with Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu
Motherboard EpoX 9NPA+Ultra nForce4 Ultra with Zalman ZM-NB47J
Cooling All Zalman heatsinks (CNPS7000B-AlCu, ZM-NB47J, VF700-Cu)
Memory 1 GB (2x512 MB) DDR400 Corsair XMS C2 series, max 233 MHz @ 2-3-2-9 1T
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon X800GTO2 256 MB PCIe max 540/600, modded to 16 pipes
Storage Seagate 80GB SATA, Maxtor 160GB PATA, Maxtor 200GB PATA
Display(s) Dell 17" Trinitron CRT
Case Lian Li PC-60B Plus
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek chip
Power Supply Enermax Noisetaker EG495AX-VE, 485 watts, active PFC
Software Windows XP Pro SP2, Windows XP Pro x64, Windows Vista RC1 32-bit
W1zzard said:
How about one for people who don't care where they have to ship it as long as the buyer pays the shipping? ;) In those cases, it would make it so they wouldn't have to post in both. Although, I guess someone could just post in one then post a link in the other, but then they may have to occasionally bump the one that is only a link so people would notice it, though.

LutaWicasa

Actually...there'd be no reason for 2 fora if folks could simply include "US or EU" in thier title and/or the location in thier user CP ;)

d44ve

Processor Intel E6600 @ 4.2GHZ Wo0t!
Motherboard ASUS Striker Extreme & eVGA 680i A1
Cooling Phase Change !!
Memory OCZ SLI 1066MHZ (2GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 8800 GTX
Storage Western Digital 320 GB
Case Antec 900
Power Supply Lian-Li V2000
Software Vista Ultimate
YEAH!

IF we every get one up that would be great.... thanks!

It good to see someone has taken interest in the board! :\