• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Terrible frame pacing with Gsync on

Dux

I noticed that when i have gsync on, i have absolutely terrible frame pacing in all games. My monitor is freesync AOC 24G2U 144Hz, but gsync wotks on it. I limit game framerate usually to 60 in nvidia control panel, and monitor refresh rate is at 144Hz. This eliminates tearing in all games thanks to gsync, but frame pacing is obviously uneven. The only thing that fixes it is setting the game framerate and refresh rate to be same and activate vsync on. Some games have built in option to control refresh rate. Like red dead redemption 2 for example. And i must set it to 60Hz and vsync on. Only this makes frame pacing good. Identical refresh rate, frame rate and vsync on.
Is this just how gsync works? Eliminates tearing but messes up frame pacing?

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
Well why are you locking the fps to such low figure.

Anyways, don't use 2 framerate limiters at the same time, either in-game fps limiter or NVCP. Check if you had enabled the fps limiter in RivaTunerStatisticServer.
From my experience the fps limiter in NVCP provide the smoothest experience compare to ingame limiter and RivaTuner.

If you only used 1 framerate limiter and the framepacing problem persists, try another Nvidia driver, some driver may screw up the G-Sync compatibility mode.

Reactions: Rei

Dux

Well why are you locking the fps to such low figure.

Anyways, don't use 2 framerate limiters at the same time, either in-game fps limiter or NVCP. Check if you had enabled the fps limiter in RivaTunerStatisticServer.
From my experience the fps limiter in NVCP provide the smoothest experience compare to ingame limiter and RivaTuner.

If you only used 1 framerate limiter and the framepacing problem persists, try another Nvidia driver, some driver may screw up the G-Sync compatibility mode.
I am locking to 60 because i have no need to play anything aside from competitive games with more than 60 frames. I did try riva tuner limiter. But i didn't use that and limiter in NCP at the same time. But like i said. Only by locking the game frame rate to monitor refresh rate and vsync on, i get even frame pacing. Is that 60,100,120 or 144Hz and fps, doesn't matter.

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
I am locking to 60 because i have no need to play anything aside from competitive games with more than 60 frames. I did try riva tuner limiter. But i didn't use that and limiter in NCP at the same time. But like i said. Only by locking the game frame rate to monitor refresh rate and vsync on, i get even frame pacing. Is that 60,100,120 or 144Hz and fps, doesn't matter.

If you use NVCP fps limiter you have to set unlimited FPS ingame or vice versa (144fps ingame and 60fps in NVCP won't work, one of them has to be unlimited). Some game works better with ingame limiter, some game works better with NVCP limiter, you just have to test them out I guess.

Same with V-sync setting, don't force V-Sync in NVCP, some game just work better without V-Sync. There is no size fits all setting here, you have to test game individually. If you already found the solution for your particular game I don't see what's wrong.

Yeah PC gaming is weirdly complicated, but that is the fun of it :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Rei
System Name SYBARIS
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI Arsenal Gaming B450 Tomahawk
Cooling Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi
Memory Team T-Force Delta RGB 2x8GB 3200CL16
Video Card(s) Colorful GeForce RTX 2060 6GV2
Storage Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black WD1003FZEX 1TB | Seagate ST1000LM024 1TB | WD My Passport Slim 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 24" 144hz IPS
Case Montech Air ARGB
Audio Device(s) Massdrop + Sennheiser PC37X | QKZ x HBB
Power Supply Corsair CX650-F
Mouse Razer Viper Mini | Cooler Master MM711 | Logitech G102 | Logitech G402
Keyboard Drop + The Lord of the Rings Dwarvish
Software Windows 10 Education 22H2 x64
Jesus! What a waste of a monitor if you're locking at 60 fps.

Just set the fps limiter to 2-3 fps below the max refresh rate. Set it at 140 via in-game options or NVCP. And don't use v-sync.

Check out Battle(non)sense content on YT. He does mostly frame pacing and limiter videos.

High FPS = Less Input Lag

The video on this very topic:

You don't want to use RTSS since after the above video both AMD and Nvidia introduced driver-level fps limiter

Last edited:

Dux

Jesus! What a waste of a monitor if you're locking at 60 fps.
No, i don't have the need to play them RTS and TPS games at 144 freakin frames. Do i need my graphics card at almost 100% usage for every game i play? I'm the one paying the electrical bills in the house so i don't need the card at full load all the time. For games like Apex Legends which i play from time to time, yes. And also, i stream to twitch. OBS doesn't really like if game frame rate and capture frame rate are different. If i stream at 60, i want the game to be at 60 or 120fps.
That middle video explains frame pacing nicely. But i still experience bad frame pacing. Even with some veeeeery low demanding game. Like Dead space for example.

Last edited by a moderator: