• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Announces Its Next Generation Memory and Storage Products

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
Today, at Intel's Memory and Storage 2020 event, the company highlighted six new memory and storage products to help customers meet the challenges of digital transformation. Key to advancing innovation across memory and storage, Intel announced two new additions to its Intel Optane Solid State Drive (SSD) Series: the Intel Optane SSD P5800X, the world's fastest data center SSD, and the Intel Optane Memory H20 for client, which features performance and mainstream productivity for gaming and content creation. Optane helps meet the needs of modern computing by bringing the memory closer to the CPU. The company also revealed its intent to deliver its 3rd generation of Intel Optane persistent memory (code-named "Crow Pass") for cloud and enterprise customers.

"Today is a key moment for our memory and storage journey. With the release of these new Optane products, we continue our innovation, strengthen our memory and storage portfolio, and enable our customers to better navigate the complexity of digital transformation. Optane products and technologies are becoming a mainstream element of business compute. And as a part of Intel, these leadership products are advancing our long-term growth priorities, including AI, 5G networking and the intelligent, autonomous edge." -Alper Ilkbahar, Intel vice president in the Data Platforms Group and general manager of the Intel Optane Group.

Intel also announced three new NAND SSDs featuring 144-layer cell memory: the Intel SSD 670p, the company's next-gen 144-layer quad-level-cell (QLC) 3D NAND SSD for mainstream computing; the Intel SSD D7-P5510, the world's first-to-market 144-layer triple-level-cell NAND design; and the Intel SSD D5-P5316, a greater-density, higher-endurance SSD built around the industry's first 144-layer QLC NAND.

With today's Intel Optane technology announcements, Intel continues to establish a new tier in the data center memory and storage pyramid, which combines the attributes of both DRAM and NAND. Intel Optane SSDs alleviate data supply bottlenecks and accelerate applications with fast caching and fast storage to increase scale-per-server and reduce transaction costs for latency-sensitive workloads.

Intel Optane persistent memory is Intel's vision of a memory and storage solution that offers persistence, capacity, affordability, low latency and memory-like speed. With Intel Optane persistent memory, Intel has re-architected the memory and storage hierarchy allowing it to be used as a distinct capacity and performance tier for memory and storage. With this approach, it is possible to create a two-tiered memory architecture where DRAM is the performance tier and persistent memory is the capacity tier. In the case of storage, Optane persistent memory is used as the performance tier to the NAND capacity tier.

Intel Optane persistent memory is attached to the CPU via the double-data rate bus, enabling direct load-and-store access at DRAM speeds; non-volatile, it combines the best elements of memory and storage.

Intel will further strengthen and extend its unique memory and storage portfolio with its 3rd generation of Intel Optane persistent memory, code-named "Crow Pass" and in future Intel Xeon Scalable processors (code-named "Sapphire Rapids.")

Three new NAND SSDs announced today represent new milestones for establishing TLC and QLC as a mainstream technology for high-capacity drives. The Intel 3D NAND SSD 670p is Intel's next-gen 144-layer quad-level-cell (QLC) 3D NAND SSD for mainstream computing. The Intel SSD D7-P5510 is the world's first-to-market 144-layer TLC NAND design and the Intel SSD D5-P5316 is built around the industry's first 144-layer QLC NAND. Intel has been developing these technologies over the past decade

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Ah yes, QLC for the plebs, because TLC is simply too good... :rolleyes:

System Name [H]arbringer
Processor 4x 61XX ES @3.5Ghz (48cores)
Motherboard SM GL
Cooling 3x xspc rx360, rx240, 4x DT G34 snipers, D5 pump.
Memory 16x gskill DDR3 1600 cas6 2gb
Video Card(s) blah bigadv folder no gfx needed
Storage 32GB Sammy SSD
Display(s) headless
Case Xigmatek Elysium (whats left of it)
Audio Device(s) yawn
Power Supply Antec 1200w HCP
Software Ubuntu 10.10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1780855 http://www.hwbot.org/submission/2158678 http://ww
Yes even companies like TeamGroum use TLC but Intel is so great to sold high quality products for peasant like me and other ordinary people's. But QLC is guilty for that! It even took over Samsung's professional SSD series, and has now swallowed up Intel's solid state division. :D

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I mean, just because you make Optane doesn't mean that you should focus on race-to-the-bottom NAND.

The 660p *was* a good drive 12-18 months ago because it was a good 15% cheaper than the decent TLC options and performance was adequate. Let's just be clear here, I'm not heaping praise on the 660p; I'm saying that it was cheap and not shit. It certainly wasn't very good but it did the job at a low price.

The 665p on the other hand is a total disaster. It's priced alongside the Kingston A2000 and WD Blue SN550, both of which are TLC and significantly better-performing drives with none of QLC's drawbacks.

QLC was supposed to offer 25% cost reductions by providing the same capacities as TLC with 25% less NAND. I've yet to see any QLC drive priced 25% lower than the TLC equivalent and SSDs are such a small part of the total system cost these days that nobody is going to cripple their build just to save ten bucks.

Intel needs to sell this 670p at 20-25% less than TLC competition, not the 5-10% higher than the TLC competition.

Last edited:
System Name My PC
Processor AMD 2700 x @ 4.1Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming
Cooling Zalman CNPS20X
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 570 PULSE
Storage Adata Ultimate SU800
Case Phanteks Eclipse P500A
Audio Device(s) Logitech G51
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX, 80+ Gold, 550W
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121
Yeah Intel has sold NAND business but i believe still retained the Octane brand. There will prob not be a 670P.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
The Intel 3D NAND SSD 670p is Intel's next-gen 144-layer quad-level-cell (QLC) 3D NAND SSD for mainstream computing. The Intel SSD D7-P5510 is the world's first-to-market 144-layer TLC NAND design and the Intel SSD D5-P5316 is built around the industry's first 144-layer QLC NAND.

So, what, is the D5-P5316 developed like a month earlier than the 670p?

Also, nice words about Optane, but precious little about the details that matter (i.e. performance, capacity, price and whether it's tied to buying some new platform from Intel or not).

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
There will prob not be a 670P.

You're choosing to post that here, as a comment to this article? It is literally news of Intel officially announcing the 670p.
I guess this mentality is how people like Donald Trump become president; Facts, logic, and reasoning are all pointless these days.

You're choosing to post that here, as a comment to this article? It is literally news of Intel officially announcing the 670p.
I guess this mentality is how people like Donald Trump become president; Facts, logic, and reasoning are all pointless these days.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. But hey I bet there is no 680p on the drawing board

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
LOL, I was thinking the same thing. But hey I bet there is no 680p on the drawing board
I can't remember where I read it but I thought Intel's sale of the NAND business to Hynix wasn't going to be complete until 2025.
Given that Intel seem to be gluing more layers to their NAND every 6-9 months and just adding 5 to the model name, there's a half-decent chance we'll get a 675p, 680p, and maybe a couple more beyond that.
So, what, is the D5-P5316 developed like a month earlier than the 670p?
I think that's just the wording of the press-release being awkward; I suspect all three drives are the same exact NAND with tweaked controller firmware for their different requirements and overprovisioned to different capacities. It sure does look awkward to describe three variants of the same thing the way they did though...

Last edited: