• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CD Projekt RED Apologizes to Console Gamers for Buggy Cyberpunk 2077 Release, Offers Refunds

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Are you making that comparison based on the base PS4 of both games though? Or based on the PC version?

Because the PS4 version of Cyberpunk features some next level PS3-like textures in some places.

Oh I understand you better now, yes, if you compare the PS4 Horizon ZD to Cyberpunk, shit.

But let's not be oblivious to the fact we're talking first party console exclusive versus third party PC port that was postponed and long in development, and CDPR can't look into the future either. Still, I completely agree with you. Game should've never come out like this for the PS4. Expectations might have been too high for that machine but what was presented is below every possible expectation tbh.

Still, Horizon is a bad bad example. The complexity of the game world is another point... I mean, HZD is 99% grass, trees and mountains, not exactly the hardest things to render. If you look at the sheer variety and number of different assets in CBP... each with its own texture and surface characteristics, lots of them reflective...

I'm not with you (yet!) on the shitshow supposed to happen with refunds. Now that the statement is out, they can't crawl back and they'll have to be generous even if the terms don't allow for it now. With that apology they basically publicly admitted the product does not live up to what could reasonably be expected, and any store or party in the chain disagreeing with that deserves the banhammer. Its clear as day they can't sell this crap as is.

I reckon the PS4 even chokes on the sheer number of draw calls so unless they vastly reduce the game's complexity for the PS4, it will remain crappy... and if fixed it'll look empty.

Last edited:
System Name Blackbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF B550-Plus WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill FlareX 3200Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 Ti Gaming Z
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + WD SN550 1TB + Samsung 860 QVO 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard MasterKeys Pro S White (MX Brown)
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores It plays games.
Oh I understand you better now, yes, if you compare the PS4 Horizon ZD to Cyberpunk, shit.

But let's not be oblivious to the fact we're talking first party console exclusive versus third party PC port that was postponed and long in development, and CDPR can't look into the future either. Still, I completely agree with you. Game should've never come out like this for the PS4. Expectations might have been too high for that machine but what was presented is below every possible expectation tbh.

Still, Horizon is a bad bad example. The complexity of the game world is another point... I mean, HZD is 99% grass, trees and mountains, not exactly the hardest things to render. If you look at the sheer variety and number of different assets in CBP... each with its own texture and surface characteristics, lots of them reflective...

I'm not with you (yet!) on the shitshow supposed to happen with refunds. Now that the statement is out, they can't crawl back and they'll have to be generous even if the terms don't allow for it now. With that apology they basically publicly admitted the product does not live up to what could reasonably be expected, and any store or party in the chain disagreeing with that deserves the banhammer. Its clear as day they can't sell this crap as is.

Yeah, that was my point. When it comes to the base consoles they overpromised and underdelivered (mixed in with lies and deceit). And the answer for the affected shouldn't be "just get a better machine".

Agreed that comparing it to other games is not ideal for many reasons. There isn't any other game with an environment quite like CBP. But at the very least you can get a sense of what the hardware can do based on other games. I personally wouldn't pick an exclusive like HZD was, if I had to pick one it'd probably be RDR2. But then you have the same issue that you pointed, environment is almost all nature.

The refunds issue is again another form of overpromising. CDPR doesn't really get a say on the consoles digital stores refund policies and in Sony's case, it's a pretty shitty one (dunno about MS) in that just by downloading the game (not even playing it) you forfeit the right to refund the game, unless it is faulty, otherwise you have 14 days. It's been this way for years and everyone that has a Playstation should know about it. CDPR should also be aware of it, especially before making promises of refunds over platforms that they have no control over.

In the end you get double the frustration.
Oh no, you bought an unplayable game. $%#"$!
The game's developer said you could refund it, nice.
Oh no, the store said you don't qualify for a refund. "%#$&!

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Yeah, that was my point. When it comes to the base consoles they overpromised and underdelivered (mixed in with lies and deceit). And the answer for the affected shouldn't be "just get a better machine".

Agreed that comparing it to other games is not ideal for many reasons. There isn't any other game with an environment quite like CBP. But at the very least you can get a sense of what the hardware can do based on other games. I personally wouldn't pick an exclusive like HZD was, if I had to pick one it'd probably be RDR2. But then you have the same issue that you pointed, environment is almost all nature.

The refunds issue is again another form of overpromising. CDPR doesn't really get a say on the consoles digital stores refund policies and in Sony's case, it's a pretty shitty one (dunno about MS) in that just by downloading the game (not even playing it) you forfeit the right to refund the game, unless it is faulty, otherwise you have 14 days. It's been this way for years and everyone that has a Playstation should know about it. CDPR should also be aware of it, especially before making promises of refunds over platforms that they have no control over.

In the end you get double the frustration.
Oh no, you bought an unplayable game. $%#"$!
The game's developer said you could refund it, nice.
Oh no, the store said you don't qualify for a refund. "%#$&!

When it comes to comparisons that are somewhat fair, I think a great game to reference CBP against is The Division 1. Same cramped city decor, and a fresh engine that does lots of cool stuff on a vast number of assets in an open game world. It even has similar graphics options, like chroma abberation, lens flares, and extensive SSR and reflection options.

They should have just targeted PS5, XSX
Yeah, this. However, out of curiosity I bought and DL'd CP2077 on PSN(I have a PS4 and a Pro) and I think it runs fine. It's certainly playable. It's not PC levels of pretty nor is it running at 120FPS like it is on my PC, but it's ok. I don't understand what all the whining is about. IMHO it's solid. Now, it does have a few glitches? Yeah. I've seen the head popping up through the roof of a car glitch, which was just funny as hell. Nothing game breaking though.
Yeah, no. One of the investors asked specifically about the base consoles and Adam said that although it wasn't as good as the Pro versions, as it was still surprisingly good.
No, having just played it I'm going with Adam on that. He didn't lie. Now if anyone wants to argue go right ahead, I call BS on the whiners.

Last edited:
System Name Blackbox
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G305
Software Windows 10
Yeah, this. However, out of curiosity I bought and DL'd CP2077 on PSN(I have a PS4 and a Pro) and I think it runs fine. It's certainly playable. It not PC levels of pretty nor is it running at 120FPS like it is on my PC, but it's ok. I don't understand what all the whining is about. IMHO it's solid. Now, it does have a few glitches. I've seen the head popping up through the roof of a car glitch, which was just funny as hell. Nothing game breaking though.

No, having just played it I'm going with Adam on that. He didn't lie. Now if anyone wants to argue go right ahead, I call BS on the whiners.

I have a hard time believing that, since what you just said goes against everything I've seen so far on the internet. There aren't a lot of oficial reviews for the base consoles versions because, like I said before, CDPR didn't give reviewers access to the console versions before launch, but the most notable available is from IGN who gave the game on PS4/Xbone a 4 out of 10 concluding "Please don't play Cyberpunk 2077 on a base Xbox One or PS4. It is a shockingly bad way to experience what is a fantastic RPG on better hardware."
Other than IGN though, not one recommended playing/buying the game for PS4/Xbone.

No one would be complaining (or taking complaints seriously) if the only problems were minor glitches like what you just mentioned.

I have to ask, which console did you play it on? Because it's perfectly acceptable, from what I've seen, in the PS4Pro and XboneX. Just not in the base ones.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Yeah, this. However, out of curiosity I bought and DL'd CP2077 on PSN(I have a PS4 and a Pro) and I think it runs fine. It's certainly playable. It's not PC levels of pretty nor is it running at 120FPS like it is on my PC, but it's ok. I don't understand what all the whining is about. IMHO it's solid. Now, it does have a few glitches? Yeah. I've seen the head popping up through the roof of a car glitch, which was just funny as hell. Nothing game breaking though.
Equal funny glitches on PC it’s just with delays timing well with the new consoles it would have been a more prudent move. We are both getting the same ”game” just your experience will just be a little “less” due to hardware limitation. I mean I’m just pushing 60-70FPS @1440 using all the tweaks and settings recommendations around the net but it’s not ruining my experience either. We are both willing to accept compromises to enjoy the same game.

I have a hard time believing that, since what you just said goes against everything I've seen so far on the internet.
Like I said, argue away. My experience is that it solid and playable. Not perfect, but enjoyable.
I have to ask, which console did you play it on?
I did state that. We have both a PS4 and a Pro. Granted, Pro plays better, but the OG PS4 is still ok. It's not the garbage experience everyone is claiming.

System Name System V
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 // a bunch of 120 mm Xigmatek 1500 RPM fans (2 ins, 3 outs)
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz (BLS8G4D32AESCK.M8FE) (CL16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 8 GB
Storage SHFS37A240G / DT01ACA200 / WD20EZRX / MKNSSDTR256GB-3DL / LG BH16NS40 / ST10000VN0008
Display(s) LG 22MP55 IPS Display
Case NZXT Source 210
Audio Device(s) Logitech G430 Headset
Power Supply Corsair CX650M
Mouse Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0
Keyboard HP Vectra VE keyboard (Part # D4950-63004)
Software Whatever build of Windows 11 is being served in Dev channel at the time.
Benchmark Scores Corona 1.3: 3120620 r/s Cinebench R20: 3355 FireStrike: 12490 TimeSpy: 4624
Like I said, argue away. My experience is that it solid and playable. Not perfect, but enjoyable.

I did state that. We have both a PS4 and a Pro. Granted, Pro plays better, but the OG PS4 is still ok. It's not the garbage experience everyone is claiming.
Perhaps some updates along the way since it launched until now? It isn't clear to me from your previous post if you bought it and installed it on launch day or a little later...

Perhaps some updates along the way since it launched until now?
Likely.
It isn't clear to me from your previous post if you bought it and installed it on launch day or a little later...
Yesterday. I wanted to see it for myself mostly becuase I was sniffing more than just a bit of "Iffy" coming off of a lot of complaint reviews I read. IMHO, most of those reviews and complaints are way over-stated. The term "Mountains out of mole-hills" comes to mind.

System Name System V
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 // a bunch of 120 mm Xigmatek 1500 RPM fans (2 ins, 3 outs)
Storage SHFS37A240G / DT01ACA200 / WD20EZRX / MKNSSDTR256GB-3DL / LG BH16NS40 / ST10000VN0008
Case NZXT Source 210
Software Whatever build of Windows 11 is being served in Dev channel at the time.
Benchmark Scores Corona 1.3: 3120620 r/s Cinebench R20: 3355 FireStrike: 12490 TimeSpy: 4624
Likely.

Yesterday. I wanted to see it for myself mostly becuase I was sniffing more than just a bit of "Iffy" coming off of a lot of complaint reviews I read. IMHO, most of those reviews and complaints are way over-stated. The term "Mountains out of mole-hills" comes to mind.

Maybe those complaints were very real on launch day and the worst offenders were fixed as soon as possible? Leaving the big patch that's supposed to come in January to fix anything else, I suppose...

Speaking of...

Visual
  • Reduced vehicle appearance pop-in.
Performance & Stability
  • Improved stability, including various crash fixes.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
So, you think they came out, acknowledged the poor situation (especially on consoles) offered recourse, but this is spilled milk/molehill? Interesting. I would think if it wasn't a big deal, CDPR wouldn't have said anything... or at least not offered refunds.

That said, surely the overwhelming majority are fine, but it's clear this is significant.

System Name Blackbox
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G305
Software Windows 10
You stated you owned both, not which one you played on. If it had been the Pro, then your comment would make more sense to me. Just wanted to make sure.

@windwhirl Some issues have improved, others have yet to be addressed, afaik. Texture loading probably being the biggest one. Majority of people are still having tons of issues.

@EarthDog definitely not mountains out of mole-hills.

Some more information:

So, you think they came out, acknowledged the poor situation (especially on consoles) offered recourse, but this is spilled milk/molehill? Interesting.
Yeah, I do. Society is filled with whiny spoiled brat types. They expect amazing performance on old hardware. Nope, that's not the way it works.
You stated you owned both, not which one you played on.
?!?
I did state that. We have both a PS4 and a Pro. Granted, Pro plays better, but the OG PS4 is still ok.
Both! What didn't you understand about what I said?
@EarthDog definitely mountains out of mole-hills.
Fixed that for you.

They expect amazing performance on old hardware.
I didn't mention performance at all. I'm strictly talking about the bugs on console and PC. Let's kick at the same goal post. :)

That said, the noise made by users and reviewers on launch forced the company to make a statement acknowledging all the issues then offering refunds surely tells us this is more than spilled milk/molehill. If it wasn't anything and 'normal' I highly doubt they would suggest refunds. I don't recall a company ever offering refunds like this before............especially for something that (you consider) insignificant.

Anyway, it's clear we'll agree to disagree... :pimp:

System Name Blackbox
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G305
Software Windows 10
Both! What didn't you understand about what I said?
You first said "However, out of curiosity I bought and DL'd CP2077 on PSN(I have a PS4 and a Pro) and I think it runs fine." but you didn't mention in that comment if you had played the base, the pro or both, so I wanted to clarify. That's all. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Fixed that for you.
C'mon man. Did you look at the DF article? Or are you gonna call them whiny and spoiled as well? Or the fact that there was an emergency investor call for CDPR to explain themselves where they admited fault. I know you love GOG and all that, but the signs are on the wall. They released a version (base PS4/Xbone) of the game that was in a very rough state that never should've seen the light of day.
They said they intend to release two big patches in late Jan and Feb and hopefully that'll bring the game to a state most people are happy with (given you can never please everyone) so there's definitely hope yet.

I didn't mention performance at all. I'm strictly talking about the bugs on console and PC. Let's kick at the same goal post.
I misunderstood you again... :laugh: I don't care about the bugs/glitches. They have always been in games and as long as they're not game breaking, it doesn't bother me. Some of them can even be fun! For example, GTA5 glitches? Oh good grief can some of those be tons of fun!
That's all. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
No worries. Misunderstandings happen.

Last edited:
They are though... that's the problem and why there are so many complaints (especially from console users). "virtually unplayable" wasn't said one time by one user/review. PC is in better shape I hear, but still rife with issues. ;)

Oh well. :)

System Name Blackbox
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G305
Software Windows 10
Digital Foundry. The link from Eurogamer I posted above (#87).
Ah. No, I skipped that. I've spent a bunch of time reading tons of info all over the place, some of it contradictory which is why I got the copies for my personal systems. Now, to be fair, I'm running my PS4 and PS4Pro at 720p to get the best performance out of them in all game titles. Let's face facts, no game on the PS4 platform needs 1080p or above to look good. I've tried it and I'd rather have the high framerates.

Last edited:
System Name System V
Case NZXT Source 210
So.... Sony pulled this out of the store and is offering refunds?!!! Anyone else remember anything like this happening before?

Nothing against you but those Google AMP links trigger me :laugh:

That aside, TPU already had their article up.