• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Philips In-Ear True Wireless Premium Headphones

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
[Editor's note: This press release is from the Philips US division, regional applicability may vary. Street pricing is already down to $149.]

Envision Peripherals, Inc. (EPI) today debuts a new pair of premium, true wireless ear buds, the Philips In-Ear True Wireless Headphones TAT8505BKs. The True Wireless version of the popular Philips Wireless Over-ear Noise Cancelling Headphone TAPH805BK earbuds feature classic minimalist design and boast Hybrid Active Noise Canceling and Awareness Mode for control over what is heard, letting users sink into rich, detailed sound or tune into the world around them. The Philips TAT8505BKs are available on Amazon, for $199.99 USD, starting December 15, 2020 at 12:01 AM PST.

Love What You Hear
The perfectly tuned 13mm neodymium drivers ensure a detailed, expansive sound with rich, powerful bass and thrilling clarity for every track. When an earbud is taken out, the music pauses. Put the earbud back in, and the music starts up again. The Philips TAT8505BKs have a refined geometric design creating a comfortable in-ear fit. The circular earbud housing is tactilely pleasing and is designed to subtly catch the light, creating an elegant, understated look.

Hear What You Want
Hybrid Active Noise Canceling allows users to fully immerse without distractions while Awareness Mode serves to bring the world back in when it is needed. Through the Philips Headphones App, users can control the sound as needed and switch between preset ANC modes with a single tap. In mono mode, the earphones guarantee crystal clear calls. The two mics in each earbud focus on the sound of users' voices, dramatically reducing noise from the world around them. In a quieter place where there is not a need to block out noise while speaking, mono mode allows the use of just one earbud to talk.

Ready for Day and Night
The Philips TAT8505BKs' charging case provides up to 24 hours of playtime and it can be charged wirelessly or via USB-C. They are IPX4 splash and sweat resistant meaning they can sustain training in rain, sweaty gym sessions and most water activities (not submergible). At night, the Philips TAT8505BKs allow users to listen to their favorite songs before bed without the hassle of tangling wires. Touch controls on each earbud make it easy to control music, calls, and volume. Additionally, their fully integrated Google Assistant capability grants a hands-free experience.

Availability
The Philips TAT8505BKs are available on Amazon, for $199.99 USD, starting on December 15, 2020. One more new addition to the Philips audio line is Philips Hi-Res Audio Wireless In-ear Headphones TAPN505BKs: these noise-canceling in-ear headphones help you to stay focused to your favorite music with no distractions, and lightweight neckband makes it easy to keep these headphones close.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Umm... last time I checked, the terms "headphones" & "earphones/buds" are not really interchangable...

Therefore it would seem as though the headline should be corrected accordingly, just a thought.. :)

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
"true wireless" as opposed to what, fake? dumb marketing for not so smart people I guess.
True wireless means that there's no wire between the two in-ear

Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
Same as wireless earbuds, ala samsung, apple, tons of clones. True wireless is bullshit marketing
Eh, at this point the term as gone beyond marketing, even french tech sellers, website and magazine are saying "true wireless" to talk about any kind of bluetooth headphone that don't have a wire to connect them. It doesn't matter if the brand itself called them "true wireless", they are going to call them that anyway.

Some people are specifically looking for that so having a universal term to filter them is handy. They don't decieve anyone, people know exactly what they meant by true wireless.

1608116308492.png

1608116413197.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24505

Eh, at this point the term as gone beyond marketing, even french tech sellers, website and magazine are saying "true wireless" to talk about any kind of bluetooth headphone that don't have a wire to connect them. It doesn't matter if the brand itself called them "true wireless", they are going to call them that anyway.

Some people are specifically looking for that so having a universal term to filter them is handy. They don't decieve anyone, people know exactly what they meant by true wireless.
View attachment 179747
View attachment 179748

As i said same as any wireless earbuds. imo if they have a wire connecting them together they are headphones not earbuds. whether they are wireless or not. If i see a ad that says wireless ear buds, i take it for granted they are wireless and earbuds.

Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
As i said same as any wireless earbuds. imo if they have a wire connecting them together they are headphones not earbuds. whether they are wireless or not. If i see a ad that says wireless ear buds, i take it for granted they are wireless and earbuds.
mmmh guess that it's a fair point in english. But for some language it does help, french only got two words: one for on ear and over ear, and another one that gather earbuds, in-ear etc.. alike. Just like smartphone or streaming the english term has become the used name for a lack of french equivalent :D

D

Deleted member 24505

Kinda why jif was changed to cif-The official reason was that our friends on the Continent weren't able to pronounce “Jif” as most European languages don't feature a common hard “J”.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10

You're on to something here: the real marketing scheme was calling the headphones linked together with a wire "wireless". Now that the wire has been removed, they had to come up with something else.

Now, my real beef with these is that while $149 is ok-ish for ANC, at $199 I'd expect volume controls on them.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Now, my real beef with these is that while $149 is ok-ish for ANC, at $199 I'd expect volume controls on them.
I'd expect voice control for volume.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
I'd expect voice control for volume.
I haven't tried voice control for volume, I image it's pretty awkward (talking to the heasdet in the middle of a conversation).

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I haven't tried voice control for volume, I image it's pretty awkward (talking to the heasdet in the middle of a conversation).
To be honest I don't even know if they exist yet, but it's got to be better than fiddling with a volume control on your ear, and for music it wouldn't matter if you interrupted.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
To be honest I don't even know if they exist yet, but it's got to be better than fiddling with a volume control on your ear, and for music it wouldn't matter if you interrupted.
Because talking to your assistant is so much fun, right? :p
Fiddling with volume controls can be fiddly in case of touch controls, but if you use dedicated + and - buttons, it should be fine. Beats the crap out of having to pull out your phone to set the right volume.