• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EK Launches New Water Block for RTX 3070 Strix Graphics Cards

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
EK, the leading computer cooling solutions provider, is ready to offer its premium high-performance GPU water block for ROG 3070 Strix graphics cards. This new block is named EK-Quantum Vector Strix RTX 3070 D-RGB and it shares the same backplate with the 3080/3090 Vector Strix water block. It also comes in two versions - with Plexi and Acetal top.

EK-Quantum Vector Strix RTX 3070 D-RGB water block is compatible with ROG Strix RTX 3070 graphics cards. This Vector water block actively cools the GPU, VRAM (at the front), MOSFETs in the VRM (voltage regulation module), PWM controller, and all the chokes including the input rail. The water block makes contact with every single inductor to suppress any potential coil whine.

These newly developed water blocks also feature optimized flow paths that reduce hydrodynamic instabilities and vortexing (dead spots) inside of them. Additionally, the new design allows the copper cold plate to cover almost the entire length of the PCB, cooling even less important components for maximum efficiency.

The EK-Quantum Vector Strix Series water blocks use an Open Split-Flow cooling engine design, which proved to be a superior solution for GPU water blocks. It is characterized by low hydraulic flow restriction, meaning it can be used with weaker water pumps or pumps running on low-speed settings, and still achieve top performance. The jet plate and fin structure geometry have been optimized to provide even flow distribution with minimal losses and optimal performance when used in any given coolant flow orientation.

Fin array is populated by 28 microfins with 0.6 mm wide microchannels that provide optimal cooling performance, without unnecessary flow restrictions or clogging hazards. These 2nd generation Vector GPU water blocks also feature plexi terminals that match the top plexi version and acetal terminals for acetal top models. The watertight sealing is ensured by high-quality EPDM O-rings, while brass standoffs are already pre-installed and allow for a safe and easy installation procedure.

Current Compatibility List for EK-Quantum Vector Strix RTX 3070 D-RGB Water Block:
  • ROG-STRIX-RTX3070-8G-GAMING
  • ROG-STRIX-RTX3070-O8G-GAMING
  • ROG-STRIX-RTX3070-8G-WHITE
  • ROG-STRIX-RTX3070-O8G-WHITE
Backplate for the Strix 3070 Vector Water Block
EK recommends the purchase of a retention backplate, which improves the overall aesthetics of your graphics cards, and also provides additional passive cooling for the GPU core and backside of the printed circuit board VRM section.

Availability and Pricing
The EK-Quantum Vector RTX 3070 D-RGB water blocks are made and assembled in Slovenia, Europe, and are available for pre-order through the EK Webshop and dedicated reseller network. These water blocks are expected to ship out in late January. In the table below, you can see the manufacturer suggested retail price (MSRP).

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Proper
Processor 5900X + OC
Motherboard GB X570s Elite AX
Cooling WC Heatkiller 3.0 LT
Memory G.Skill 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3070 Ti Trinity LC'ed + OC
Storage KC2500 1TB + A2000 1TB
Display(s) GB M32Q
Case Fractal Define R6 USB C
Audio Device(s) Creative AE-7 + Phonic AM120
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-850
Mouse Log G502 X LS
Keyboard Keychron K5 Opt.brown
What's the point of that copper base part at the end of the card? It's barely connected to the main one so the heat transfer will probably be atrocious.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
What's the point of that copper base part at the end of the card? It's barely connected to the main one so the heat transfer will probably be atrocious.
Purely cosmetic, it's real-estate to print the "Vector Strix" because people who overpay for Strix cards have an inferiority complex and need to show everyone what card is under their EK waterblock.

The STRIX cards are well-made, but they also usually cost as much as a perfectly decent card from the next SKU up the product stack, so they make zero sense to me outside of sponsored overclocking competitions and dumb willy-waving.

In normal times, for the price of a 3070 Strix you would probably be able to buy a 3080 instead. Right now, people who really want an Ampere card seem to be willing to pay anything and aren't fussy about what model they're getting as long as they can get one, so I'll temporarily reserve judgement until all of this blows over.

I'll be at The Winchester.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Prices are insane ... 3year ago was ~105eu for 1080Ti
EK make good stuff but they're milking their fame and adding a premium tax for their status now.

Plenty of other brands offering perfectly good quality waterblocks for much less (Alphacool, Barrow etc). I went with Alphacool but was looking at reviews of the Barrow stuff before deciding as it's half the price of EK and looks fine to me.