• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Seagate Technology Reports Fiscal Second Quarter 2021 Financial Results

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Seagate Technology plc (NASDAQ: STX) (the "Company" or "Seagate") today reported financial results for its fiscal second quarter ended January 1, 2021. "Seagate delivered strong, double-digit revenue, earnings and free cash flow growth in the December quarter supported by broad-based improvement across nearly every served market and geography, and we had solid customer demand for our mass capacity products," said Dave Mosley, Seagate's chief executive officer.

"We also achieved our technology milestone by shipping 20-terabyte HAMR drives in calendar 2020, paving the way for Seagate's continued success for years to come. As demand for data increases in both the cloud and at the edge, Seagate's new Lyve Storage Platform complements our HDD portfolio to help businesses address both the secular demand for mass capacity storage and the increasing complexity of managing data from edge-to-core cloud. We are well positioned to benefit from the tremendous opportunities we foresee ahead and remain focused on enhancing value for our customers, employees and shareholders."

Quarterly Financial Results
The Company generated $473 million in cash flow from operations and $314 million in free cash flow during the fiscal second quarter 2021. Seagate maintained a healthy balance sheet and during the fiscal second quarter 2021, the Company paid cash dividends of $167 million and repurchased 18 million ordinary shares for $1 billion. Additionally, the Company raised $1 billion of debt and ended the fiscal second quarter with cash and cash equivalents totaling $1.8 billion. There were 240 million ordinary shares issued and outstanding as of the end of the quarter.

For a detailed reconciliation of GAAP to non-GAAP results, see accompanying financial tables.

Seagate has issued a Supplemental Financial Information document, which is available on Seagate's Investor Relations website at investors.seagate.com.

Quarterly Cash Dividend
The Board of Directors of the Company (the "Board") declared a quarterly cash dividend of $0.67 per share, which will be payable on April 7, 2021 to shareholders of record as of the close of business on March 24, 2021. The payment of any future quarterly dividends will be at the discretion of the Board and will be dependent upon Seagate's financial position, results of operations, available cash, cash flow, capital requirements, distributable reserves, and other factors deemed relevant by the Board.

Business Outlook
The business outlook for the fiscal third quarter 2021 is based on our current assumptions and expectations; actual results may differ materially, as a result of, among other things, the important factors discussed in the Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-Looking Statements section of this release.

The Company is providing the following guidance for its fiscal third quarter 2021:
Revenue of $2.65 billion, plus or minus $200 million
Non-GAAP diluted EPS of $1.30, plus or minus $0.15

Guidance regarding non-GAAP diluted EPS excludes known charges related to amortization of acquired intangible assets of $0.02 per share and estimated share-based compensation expenses of $0.13 per share.

We have not reconciled our non-GAAP diluted EPS guidance for fiscal third quarter 2021 to the most directly comparable GAAP measure because material items that may impact these measures are out of our control and/or cannot be reasonably predicted, including, but not limited to, accelerated depreciation, impairment and other charges related to cost saving efforts, restructuring charges, strategic investment losses or impairment recognized, income tax adjustments on these measures, and other charges or benefits that may arise. The amounts of these measures are not currently available, but may be material to future results. A reconciliation of the non-GAAP diluted EPS guidance for fiscal third quarter 2021 to the corresponding GAAP measures is not available without unreasonable effort. A reconciliation of our historical non-GAAP financial measures to their nearest GAAP equivalent is contained in this release.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
I knew someone that worked at the local Seagate building not far from where I live (word is the building here is no longer going to be part of the Seagate corporation as they move to consolidate with another location)....she was laid off with at least 500 other people (world wide, as Seagate reported) across various locations.

I'd venture to guess, based on the article I linked above, her and at least another 150+ folks were laid off just from the Shakopee location since the article says about 700 employees are employed before the layoffs and the building office they're moving to is only for 500 folks.

It feels like Seagate is slowly dwindling out of the competition.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
I knew someone that worked at the local Seagate building not far from where I live (word is the building here is no longer going to be part of the Seagate corporation as they move to consolidate with another location)....she was laid off with at least 500 other people (world wide, as Seagate reported) across various locations.

I'd venture to guess, based on the article I linked above, her and at least another 150+ folks were laid off just from the Shakopee location since the article says about 700 employees are employed before the layoffs and the building office they're moving to is only for 500 folks.

Dwindling out of the competition? Not exactly. I actually work for Seagate in VLSI and we are fine.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!

Wikipeda says they have 41k employees. Laying off 500 people means little.