• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung Display to Introduce First 90Hz OLED Laptop Display

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
While most laptops and notebooks now offer a 60 Hz refresh rate, Samsung Display announced today that it will mass produce the world's first 90 Hz OLED laptops in the first quarter of this year. Samsung Display Chief Executive Officer Joo Sun Choi said that the company will initially produce very large quantities of 14-inch, 90 Hz OLED displays destined for laptops and notebooks, beginning in March.

"OLED display panels can best satisfy the diverse consumer needs for laptops used in telework, online education, video streaming, and gaming," the company said. Samsung Display said it is helping to introduce a major shift in the market as it collaborates closely with global manufacturers to achieve a new level of excellence for refresh rates in laptops, beginning this year.

Samsung Display believes consumers will quickly warm to the opportunity to purchase OLED displays offering a 90 Hz refresh rate, even though the OLED panels require the use of a high-spec. graphics card. In rendering static images 90 times a second, they will make movements look much more lifelike, or snappier, from a color perspective. As such, the new refresh rate updates changes in motion more often, allowing for smoother-looking visuals that appear virtually seamless to the viewer.

In a seeming contradiction, OLED displays are able to transition from one screen to the next much more quickly than LCD screens with the same refresh rate. As a result, OLED screens can make gaming and movie watching a more vibrant, pleasurable experience, without compromise. Their 90 Hz OLED refresh rate is actually 10X the fastest screen response time on the market today. In fact, the 90 Hz OLED display offers high-speed driving that is actually on par with that of 120 Hz LCD screens.

Samsung Display tested blur length using the same motion picture of a fast driving car and found that the image drag of 90 Hz OLED and 120 Hz high refresh rate LCD screens is 0.9 mm and 1 mm, respectively. In short, 90Hz OLED screens smear amazingly little, at practically the same rate as a 120 Hz LCD.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Space Lynx

Astronaut
oh sweet mama, please make it affordable...

ixi

Has anyone used here 90Hz display? Can you "really feel" the difference, like "wow"?

My self have only used mobile phone 120Hz which is nice.

Has anyone used here 90Hz display? Can you "really feel" the difference, like "wow"?

I used 100 Hz on many screen,and I can clearly say that when compared to 60hz you definitely feel "wow" at this refresh rate
any thing higher is noticeable but not as impressive

Lots of OLED TVs have variable refresh rate and 120 Hz panels, and you can get 55" for as low as 1200 EUR.

I can't imagine the reason why they can't produce 27 - 32" 4K OLED with 120 Hz, other than desire to get there eventually, and sell all the in-between steps for as much money as possible.

And I still don't believe they have solved the burn-in problem. What, will we have desktops without icons, worry about static HUD elements in games?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Lots of OLED TVs have variable refresh rate and 120 Hz panels, and you can get 55" for as low as 1200 EUR.

I can't imagine the reason why they can't produce 27 - 32" 4K OLED with 120 Hz, other than desire to get there eventually, and sell all the in-between steps for as much money as possible.

And I still don't believe they have solved the burn-in problem. What, will we have desktops without icons, worry about static HUD elements in games?
It gets worse when you realize the LG TVs actually "tick" at 240hz, but they just don't have interface bandwidth to manage that (in the controller, the HDMI 2.1 should be fine).

As for the burn in problem, I've been using a B9 LG OLED at 100% brightness for more than a year now. No burn in, no practice change other than a screensaver.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
Great news, but if they pair it with Intel chips only, no thanks.

I'd be interested in any OLED Notebook, that doesn't expect you to sell parts of your body to be able to buy it.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.

Pixel 4 XL i have is 90Hz OLED. you can definitely feel it when you change to 60hz, and it took weeks to adjust back to 60Hz LCD when i changed to another phone for a warranty claim (battery died)

deu

System Name Bo-minator (my name is bo)
Processor AMD 3900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G-SkiLL 2x8GB RAM 3600Mhz (CL16-16-16-16-36)
Video Card(s) ASUS STRIX 1080Ti OC
Storage Samsung EVO 850 1TB
Display(s) ACER XB271HU + DELL 2717D
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Antec HCP 1000W
Mouse G403
Keyboard CM STORM Quick Fire Rapid
Software Windows 10 64-bit Pro
Benchmark Scores XX
To all the people weirding out about 90hz; 90 hz is the VR standard for refresh rate. Im pretty confident that these panels should/could be used for VR. (eventhough i would want 120 hz+ to be honest.)

As a user of 144hz screens for the last 10+ years : in gaming scenarios yes the refresh (even 90hz) makes a noticable change. The effect in everyday application is not so noticable (maybe less eyefatique with 90hz)

This is great news. I'm in for one immediately as long as its somewhat affordable.

I used 100 Hz on many screen,and I can clearly say that when compared to 60hz you definitely feel "wow" at this refresh rate
any thing higher is noticeable but not as impressive
my old pioneer plasma TV is 600hz. I am never replacing it, unless it stops working.

It gets worse when you realize the LG TVs actually "tick" at 240hz, but they just don't have interface bandwidth to manage that (in the controller, the HDMI 2.1 should be fine).

As for the burn in problem, I've been using a B9 LG OLED at 100% brightness for more than a year now. No burn in, no practice change other than a screensaver.
OLED flickers at 240hz, presumably to increase display performance. Having said that the flicker rate needs to be a multiple of the refresh rate, so a 90hz OLED would not flicker at 240hz but more likely 270hz.

The size of the pixels also really matters when it comes to OLED. Larger pixels present on TVs are more resilient to burn-in compared to very small pixels found on smartphones. Larger OLED pixels also benefit much less from flicker, so many OLED TVs don't exhibit flicker, but all OLED smartphones do.

Source: I do a lot of research in light science and frequently measure flicker on consumer devices.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals

I have an 100Hz panel which feels just like an 120Hz one....
Love the feeling of fluidity of the Windows interface with that screen refresh compared to a 60Hz one.

Just hurry up and make a 15" QLED 4K 90Hz/120Hz that you can VESA mount on a swing arm.

OLED flickers at 240hz, presumably to increase display performance. Having said that the flicker rate needs to be a multiple of the refresh rate, so a 90hz OLED would not flicker at 240hz but more likely 270hz.

The size of the pixels also really matters when it comes to OLED. Larger pixels present on TVs are more resilient to burn-in compared to very small pixels found on smartphones. Larger OLED pixels also benefit much less from flicker, so many OLED TVs don't exhibit flicker, but all OLED smartphones do.

Source: I do a lot of research in light science and frequently measure flicker on consumer devices.
So, you mean they have a sort of low persistence implemented? image | image | black | image | image | black ... ?

Why do larger displays benefit from this less than the small ones? I'd imagine no blur would be equally beneficial no matter the size? Or is this more about preserving the pixels and less about actual visual performance?

And beyond anything, does this mean that smaller OLED-screens need to have brighter pixels due to the screen essentially being "off" ~half of the time, which could lead to even more burn-in?

I've always wondered why it has taken so long to get OLED-monitors. It seems there's much more to be considered than just making the pixels smaller.

So, you mean they have a sort of low persistence implemented? image | image | black | image | image | black ... ?

Why do larger displays benefit from this less than the small ones? I'd imagine no blur would be equally beneficial no matter the size? Or is this more about preserving the pixels and less about actual visual performance?

And beyond anything, does this mean that smaller OLED-screens need to have brighter pixels due to the screen essentially being "off" ~half of the time, which could lead to even more burn-in?

I've always wondered why it has taken so long to get OLED-monitors. It seems there's much more to be considered than just making the pixels smaller.

I think the flicker is implemented to both improve response rate and to reduce the likelihood of burn-in. Response rates become noticeably poorer at lower brightness without flicker, especially when rendering the color blue. With flicker the response rate improves substantially.

Both of those factors are more problematic with smaller OLED pixels found on high-resolution small devices like phones. Larger OLED pixels seem to be far more resilient to both of those factors, leading some manufacturers to eliminate the flicker on TVs as it's not as useful.

The flicker is a pulsing of brightness but doesn't usually reach zero / black. The characteristics of the pulsing also change depending on the brightness set, but the frequency does not change. It's always a multiple of the image refresh rate as the pulsing is the image, compared to LCD where the backlight flicker (if flicker is present) is totally independent of the image being rendered by the LCD.

With the shortcomings of small-pixel OLED panels would be a disaster for any devices that don't become obsolete anyways in 2-4 years.

MicroLED will change all of that though. MicroLED will be truly revolutionary as it has none of these shortcomings.