• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can anyone explain this era of graphics?

AMDCam

Processor AMD Opteron 148 at (hope) 3.0ghz
Motherboard MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum with Nforce 3 Ultra
Cooling XP-90C (CPU), A400 (Graphics), 8 case fans, 92mm Tornado
Memory 2gb OCZ Gold DDR500 dual-channel
Video Card(s) Leadtek 6800GT near UEE speed (448core/1.18memory)
Storage 2x 80gb WD 7,200rpm 8mb cache Caviar SATA 150 in RAID 0
Display(s) (2 soon) Samsung Syncmaster 172N 17" LCD
Case Atrix black case with A LOT of mods
Audio Device(s) Motherboard
Power Supply Aspire 520w tri-fan blue LEDs
Software Windows XP Home, Office 2003 Professional Edition
Hey, I've been waiting and waiting for something ultra realistic, and I know we have the power now. Playstation looked wonderful but we knew there was something better for the future. PS2 looked great but there was still room for improvement. But from PS/N64 to PS2/Xbox/Gamecube there was a HUGE upgrade in graphics. Now I'm sorry but according to logic, a new system with more than 4 times the power of the last gen systems should look about the same as PS compared to PS2, but even better. So why does every game I see coming out still not amaze me? Doom 3 was great, but what the hell? Everything still looks fake. Why are developers going into detail enough to show every leaf on a tree but not enough texture to make that tree look like it's real? You see screenshots of new games and it is amazing, but nothing bigger than Doom 3. HDR is unnoticable and sometimes makes things look worse, and making grass move more realistically is not as cool as seeing a screenshot of a city that you can't tell is fake. Why do buildings, people, and objects still look so fake? The only thing we've gotten perfect are mountains, skies, water, and one time we got cars right (GT3 ONLY). So what the hell is happening? SCREW DETAIL, I WANT REALISTIC GRAPHICS!

wazzledoozle

Processor X2 3800+ @ 2.3 GHz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty SLI-DR
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9500 LED
Memory 2x1 Gb OCZ Plat. @ 3-3-2-8-1t 460 MHz
Video Card(s) HIS IceQ 4670 512Mb
Storage 640Gb & 160Gb western digital sata drives
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen LCD w/ DVI 5ms
Case Thermaltake Soprano
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 softmod@Audigy 4, Logitech X-530 5:1
Power Supply Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 500w
Software XP Pro

Silverstone

Game developers only care about money....that being said games are often rushed out far too soon which is why the same old same old...

The technology is now here to make incredible games, it may take a few more yrs for a release to come out that'll blow people away as they all try to compete month to month for your dollars.

System Name Monolith
Processor Intel Xeon E3110 Wolfdale@3.5GHz
Motherboard MSI P35-Neo
Cooling Active Air
Memory 4GB DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 3850 512MB PCI-E
Storage 1 x 80GB Internal, 1 x 250GB Internal, 1 x 40GB External
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Generic black case with locking front bezel
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply 500 Watt Seasonic M12
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Alan Wake doesn't look all that impressive from the preview. The textures weren't all that great, and I don't think the system they were running it on could handle it to well. It looked like there was no\low AA or AF, and at one point the frame rates got noticeably slow. The movement of objects was not all that great, and the cars looked especially cheesy, and those cloaked figures at the end looked like they wore static cloaks. The lighting I admit was spectacular, but it just looks like the same old same old. I'm still holding out for Unreal Tournament 2007, for some truely amazing graphics.UT07 @ Gamespot.com

What I would like is a really spectacular RTS with an ingrossing story. I like Generals its pretty good for multiplayer, but the story line sucked and its has more bugs than Windows ME. I haven't seen a really great RTS with a decent story since Homeworld, and perhaps Homeworld 2. I'm begining to get rather board with the continous influx of FPS, I would really like something new.

Last edited:
Processor Intel i7-8700k @ stock
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro iirc
Memory 16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500G NVMe
Display(s) 34" ASUS ROG PG348Q + 28" ASUS TUF Gaming VG289
Case NZXT
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CoolerMaster Storm XT Stealth
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
I agree with wazz - gameplay > graphics. A great game should have both. Although even very good games with reasonable graphics are good in my book. The problem now is that a VERY small percentage of game buyers currently have these super PC's with dual 7800GTX's to run super-polygon scenes with dynamic lighting, FSAA, AF and then super quality textures as well that'd probably not even fit in the memory of a 512MB card.

I agree with you thermopylae on the textures though, look at UT2004, model detail was moderate but textures were HUGE (hence the 5GB installation) and the game looked great. Now games like Doom3 have shittier textures than Quake3 even at ultra quality and all they do is write some bump mapping code to make up for that. So the game looks good from far but if you're close to an object it looks horrendous...

Processing power is one thing, creating an engine that actually makes optimal use of it is another. Creating detailed models and textures is VERY time consuming. They'd be wasting so much time on details and only 1% of the games can actually see them since most people have a previous generation mid-end card, if you just want to see some impressive graphics download various demos, your 6800 for example has some nice ones available. And UT2k7 demos look amazing as well.

Expect some amazing graphics on the xbox360, PS3 in a year or 2, by then their capacity might be used. Same goes for PC's btw.

AMDCam

Alright cool, I thought the Xbox 360 and R580's could do quite a bit better than original Xbox's, but the release games just look cheap. I actually said that on another post, something like "hopefully in a couple years developers and artists will learn how to use the power enough to make lifelike graphics". And to Wazzle, I don't know if you're blind or what but that "photorealistic" picture looks completely fake to me. See, I mean if you look at a Bob Ross painting you almost can't tell if it's real or not, if you look at a car in Gran Turismo 3 you almost can't tell if it's real or not, I don't mean because it's beautiful it's realistic. In that picture the only real looking things is the road, and sky. So I don't think I "stand alone", unless everyone is as ignorant to realism as you. It's not hard to tell it's a video game, even though it does look good. Anyway, thanks guys for helping me out on my question

AMDCam said:
So I don't think I "stand alone", unless everyone is as ignorant to realism as you.

I think you're the one missing some things, like your whole topic states it's about games. If you want realism join the army instead of playing some game. I could recommend the Iraqi army or perhaps Iran or Israel or something, plenty of realistic action there.

Realistic graphics aren't what make a game fun, it's gameplay. A game has to be challenging, be fun, balanced, have replayabilty. Looking at a tree that looks like it's real doesn't keep you playing for 2 years, a good community and good gameplay does. Good graphics are just a welcome extra.

AMDCam

actually graphics make games fun to me. And what a coincedence, I'm in the Marines (delayed entry), so I'm not basing my life off video games, I like realistic looks, I don't play games for gaming, if I want fun I'll hang out with friends. I would buy C&C Generals again if the graphics were updated, it can be the exact same game. Ever heard of Source? Like Counter Strike

Then why do you play? If you like graphics you can always watch movies which had huge budgets.

Personally if I'd want to treat my eyes I'd download pr0n. :p

intel igent

System Name old school / new school
Processor 3.0e C0 @ 3.6 / e5200
Motherboard p4p800e-dlx / p5q-DLX
Cooling custom water see sig / air
Memory 2x1g oczPC4000EbPl / 2x2g ocz2rpr1066
Video Card(s) 3850AGP / 4890vaporX
Storage 36g raptor+120g wd / wd 1001fals 1tb
Display(s) BenQ / sharpAQUOS LC-37D64U
Case modded antec plusview / generic
Audio Device(s) audigy 2zs / ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3
Power Supply fan/cable modded powerstream 520 / OCZ 700mxsp
Software Xp pro SP2 / VISTA ultimate OEM
DanTheBanjoman said:
Personally if I'd want to treat my eyes I'd download pr0n. :p

sounds good to me :pimp:

:roll: :toast:

AMDCam

I play because movie animation is done with, I mean the technology's out there but no one can make realistic things yet (except back in the early 90's when everyone actually cared about animation like T2 and Jurassic Park), like Matrix Reloaded, T3, and other cheap 3d animation movies. Gaming graphics take a lot more, they have to be rendered live, you can explore each model instead of watch it, and do whatever you want and customize it, plus it takes more to create 3d models in games than it does in movies. That's why I like playing games over watching movies for good animation, plus why would I build a system like I have if I wanted to just watch movies?