• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Oculus Quest 2 May Be Receiving 120 Hz Refresh Rate Support In Upcoming Update

Facebook Reality Labs Vice President Andrew Bosworth has recently confirmed in a Q&A session that the Oculus Quest 2 is likely to receive 120 Hz refresh rate support via an upcoming software update. The original Oculus Quest shipped with a 72 Hz refresh rate and when the Quest 2 was released with a better screen this refresh rate was kept for compatibility reasons. Facebook has now made 90 Hz the default refresh rate on the Quest 2 after a period of testing and it seems that this could soon be increased to 120 Hz with the main concerns remaining being performance and battery life. Developers would have the option to target 72, 90, or 120 Hz for their games and applications to run at. The 120 Hz refresh rate would be most noticeable when playing desktop VR games via Oculus Link with a computer capable of high-fidelity VR.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Just restrict 120Hz to docked mode and limit it to 96Hz when on battery life.

Just restrict 120Hz to docked mode and limit it to 96Hz when on battery life.
naan just let people chose the settings they want
I prefer 120hz on battery cause usually I just play 1h straight not 2h

Personally I agree with you there, but if the developers are strongly leaning against it some sort of middle ground compromise is better than none at all.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Nice! This will definitely need a separate power bank though. Do not want to be tethered down again now wireless is sooooo good

I want a Quest 2, but something about it makes me want to wait for QUEST 3

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
I want a Quest 2, but something about it makes me want to wait for QUEST 3

The waiting game for newer tech never ends. Buy now, enjoy more of your life with VR.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Have they removed that annoying facebook requirement?

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
Have they removed that annoying facebook requirement?

Why? What about it specifically annoys you?

Quest 2 pricing point is heavily subsidized by FB, they are most likely selling it on a razor thin margin and hoping to recoup through software and application sales. As been said many many many times, the FB account is blown WAY FKING out of proportions. At current era, you have to be 100% off internet to avoid ANY personal information gathering from the big techs. I

f that is the case, you can buy Windows MR headset. But then again you have to use Microsoft account to set it up
Or you can buy HTC Cosmos or Valve Index. Then again at the very least you still need to setup a Steam account which also gathers your info.

I don't see the mass paranoia around Oculus FB requirement beyond traditional internet outage culture.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Why? What about it specifically annoys you?

Quest 2 pricing point is heavily subsidized by FB, they are most likely selling it on a razor thin margin and hoping to recoup through software and application sales. As been said many many many times, the FB account is blown WAY FKING out of proportions. At current era, you have to be 100% off internet to avoid ANY personal information gathering from the big techs. I

f that is the case, you can buy Windows MR headset. But then again you have to use Microsoft account to set it up
Or you can buy HTC Cosmos or Valve Index. Then again at the very least you still need to setup a Steam account which also gathers your info.

I don't see the mass paranoia around Oculus FB requirement beyond traditional internet outage culture.
Why? I will tell you why. I have never of my choice used Facebook. I worked at a Company that forced us to have a Facebook account and even though I no longer work for that company (for 6 years) I still get emails from facebook. I also have been PC Gaming before the internet (mainstream) existed. I already have a VR headset that did not require any subscription to use.

Do you think I was happy to learn that Total War Shogun 2 needed something called a Steam account? Do you not think that I saw Steam as an attack on the independence of the Gamer(Especially when Blockbuster could fix your DVDs). However all of those examples you used are focused in that space and as time passed (Hard drive failure) I came to appreciate Steam but most enjoy GOG. In some ways Galaxy is the most intrusive.

There was a lady years ago who was a "voyeur" and was on Facebook. She decided to retire and remove her pictures but had to take Facebook to court to get them as if you post a picture on Facebook it is Facebook's property. I am not alone in my sentiment either. If they had not placed that requirement they would not have been able to keep these supplied.

I love how people like to comport people into camps. If you think that my non acceptance of Facebook means that I don't enjoy the Internet? Then why am I here? Why do I pay my ISP for the best (consumer) Internet I can get. Why do I have a WIFI 6 router? Better yet why am I even on TPU?

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P

checherender

Hello, I have a scenario created in Unreal (v 25.4) and I have compiled it for the Oculus Quest 2. My problem is that the texts of the scene are pixelated, as if the antialising did not work.
If I use SIDEQUEST and in the tools I set the Default Texture Size to 3072, it exits the application and when I go back in everything looks perfect.
My problem is that when I restart the oculus, they return to the default values.
Is there a way to change the default settings or is it more a matter of adjusting the APK of the application?
Thanks!!