• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Confirms Specs of the GeForce RTX 3060 "Ampere"

System Name my friends call me Zenny, I make a bad enemy
Processor still computing
Motherboard Naw she aint, she has 2 dachshunds
Cooling I ride motorcycles rain or shine
Memory semi-eidetic, 48 years on-time
Video Card(s) don't need one anymore, but still have a few Polaris
Storage I grew up in Silicon Valley during the '80's and '90's in San Jose, CA
Display(s) 2016 Scout Sixty when I want to look pretty. The females agree.
Case I only roll in old shit. 1963 F100 Unibody
Audio Device(s) JBL Boombox 3, V-MODA Crossfade
Power Supply Ensure, Bacon Jerky, and mineral water
Mouse I hates em. I sets up glue traps for em. Guk!
Keyboard Trying to close a Captains of Crush #3. For 5 years now.
VR HMD Nahmang /Yay Area
Software Hey! My underpants is my business!
Benchmark Scores How much does Mark weigh?
Says the scalper crying about his mortgage.
Does he know his mortgage is his problem and self induced, he doesn't have to have one?
Typical self centred C#%t.

I find this funny because a simple parameter adjustment would result in:

"Says the gamer crying about his eyecandy.
Does he know his greed for Ultra settings is his problem and self induced, he doesn't need a new GPU?"

IMO, gamers are often some of the most selfish people - think about it tho, a gamer just stares at screen wasting time and electricity for own entertainment at the expense of real accomplishments that may benefit society. Also, it's rather horrifying how much extra electricity is wasted between Low settings on RX460/1060 and Ultra settings on 6900/3090 to play the same game.
We went to the moon with less computing power. I find myself thinking about these things as I grow older. I've been gaming on/off since Ataris in 1980, btw.
Meanwhile, I'm glad my trusty RX570 still does the job lol

Anyway, hate em or not, at least miners are doing something productive with all those billions of transistors. This is just my utilitarian POV.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Anyway, hate em or not, at least miners are doing something productive with all those billions of transistors. This is just my utilitarian POV.
Lol, at "productive".

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I find this funny because a simple parameter adjustment would result in:

"Says the gamer crying about his eyecandy.
Does he know his greed for Ultra settings is his problem and self induced, he doesn't need a new GPU?"

IMO, gamers are often some of the most selfish people - think about it tho, a gamer just stares at screen wasting time and electricity for own entertainment at the expense of real accomplishments that may benefit society. Also, it's rather horrifying how much extra electricity is wasted between Low settings on RX460/1060 and Ultra settings on 6900/3090 to play the same game.
We went to the moon with less computing power. I find myself thinking about these things as I grow older. I've been gaming on/off since Ataris in 1980, btw.
Meanwhile, I'm glad my trusty RX570 still does the job lol

The fundamental problem with that is you can change that parameter into anything if you gloss over the value of 'people doing things to entertain themselves'.

Did you know that 'playing' is the primary, most fundamental tool humans have to get around in life? To test things, to experiment, to grow as a person.

Don't even for a second think this also doesn't apply to later age groups. In fact, a much heard statement of people no longer 'being without worry' is that they forgot how to play. We can 'vent' by playing. We can lose stress. Escape reality. Not get so stressed out that we find ourselves grabbing the kitchen knife to solve a problem, in some cases.

Now, place that in the perspective of 'productiveness' mining a wasteful speculative box of hot air - not one that reduces stress but rather increases it as your investments become too big to fail.

Greed isn't good for anything or anyone and more money never made anyone happier. If you have enough, you don't need to mine for more, and if you don't have enough, using what you have to start mining is risky business no one recommends.

I wonder if you truly investigated your POV.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Lol, at "productive".
The guy said it's paying for his house. If that not productive, what is?

Though if we go down that route, gaming used to be productive for me, in the sense that it allowed me to disconnect for a while (almost never played anything competitive), so I could be productive the next day. So it's rather subjective in the end.

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
as regards being productive i recon the person who uses a gpu to earn money from mining is gonna win this one hands down.. he he

lets face it high end gaming gpus are a luxury that many cannot afford in the first place.. they are not an essential..

trog

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
as regards being productive i recon the person who uses a gpu to earn money from mining is gonna win this one hands down.. he he

lets face it high end gaming gpus are a luxury that many cannot afford in the first place.. they are not an essential..

trog
I'm pretty sure even people who can afford a high end GPU (or several) don't buy them. Precisely because they're not essential and the return on investment isn't there for most.

But this isn't particular to GPUs, most (all?) high-end products are like that.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
I'm pretty sure even people who can afford a high end GPU (or several) don't buy them. Precisely because they're not essential and the return on investment isn't there for most.

But this isn't particular to GPUs, most (all?) high-end products are like that.
If you consider what you said, return on investment, basically it's not just graphics that are not essential. The entire computer isn't if you only play games (not working) on it or surf internet. You can do both on a cell phone (which may not be essential either) or not do it at all. This comes down to what essential actually is for each person and we should look at it individually.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
If you consider what you said, return on investment, basically it's not just graphics that are not essential. The entire computer isn't if you only play games (not working) on it or surf internet. You can do both on a cell phone (which may not be essential either) or not do it at all. This comes down to what essential actually is for each person and we should look at it individually.
True, but let's face it: you can't function properly in the society today without a computer (in one form or another).

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
True, but let's face it: you can't function properly in the society today without a computer (in one form or another).
I know what you are coming at but i think it's not entirely true. You can't function properly in the society without Internet access, social media, public portals etc. and you don't specifically need a computer for that. On the other hand, maybe you can function without it?

System Name money pit..
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
the only real truth here is that graphics cards wanted by gamers or miners are gonna cost (at least) double what some people think they should..

this situation aint gonna change for quite some time.. its something we have to live with..

trog

If it's like the PNY GTX 960 I was using, you need to crank the fan up or it will be near 85 C.

Its KFA2, the fan controller went wild a year ago (the fan was always on 100%), so i removed the stock fans and shroud, and ziptied a 120mm fan that is always on 100% (cannot hear it) on it.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
The guy said it's paying for his house. If that not productive, what is?
True but a drug dealer can say selling crack is to school kids is paying for his house while being extremely destructive to society. Paying for his house is a him problem. Being an obstacle or solution to the current state of graphic card prices & supply, in this case the former, makes him a us problem.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
True but a drug dealer can say selling crack is to school kids is paying for his house while being extremely destructive to society. Paying for his house is a him problem. Being an obstacle or solution to the current state of graphic card prices & supply, in this case the former, makes him a us problem.
Poorest argument ever. Doing anything is bound to upset something, somewhere.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I know what you are coming at but i think it's not entirely true. You can't function properly in the society without Internet access, social media, public portals etc. and you don't specifically need a computer for that. On the other hand, maybe you can function without it?

You can function without it, but you'll be relegated to the absolute bottom of the social ladder, you're literally turning yourself into an outcast in a way.

Some like to be there, though, and flourish because of it. For some people less really is more; got a buddy who doesn't have nor want a mobile phone, but he did finally cave but only uses Signal on it :) An IT professional, go figure. Its quite something if the people in the know are ready to disconnect :) Signs of things going bad.

Poorest argument ever. Doing anything is bound to upset something, somewhere.

This is correct, which is why every activity needs to be priced fairly. Right now, the price is only measured in terms of 'input' - material and labor costs, some distribution of it, some margin. The price we're NOT paying, is the one that gets shoved into an ever growing climate problem. We're footing that bill to future generations, and crypto is one of the ways to accelerate that process instead of marginalize it.

This goes for many businesses. Right now we're still figuring out how to price things accordingly, with CO2 tax and all that... but what you really need, is a baseline of cost to the end user for just doing things with varying wastefulness. Its far bigger than CO2. High cost is the only way to place limitations on what people do and what they waste, and its just fine as long as people feel the system they're in, is actually fair. The current system really is not, which is why people shit all over miners. They abuse the holes in our systems.

Its a move in the absolute wrong direction and what we SHOULD have, is governments making it impossible to profit from these speculative coins, with extreme taxation. 80% seems about right.

Therefore, I can't really hate on miners, they are just using a system that was built for everyone to use. Hate your government for not stepping up and allowing companies to step in with no considerations for our future. People will always be people, greed will always exist, so we desperately need robust systems to keep us in check, and we need to control those systems with a healthy divide of power.

Last edited:
System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
You can function without it, but you'll be relegated to the absolute bottom of the social ladder, you're literally turning yourself into an outcast in a way.

Some like to be there, though, and flourish because of it. For some people less really is more; got a buddy who doesn't have nor want a mobile phone, but he did finally cave but only uses Signal on it :) An IT professional, go figure. Its quite something if the people in the know are ready to disconnect :) Signs of things going bad.
Nice one but still. He's in the IT society nonetheless and I'm sure not having a phone doesn't diminish or lower his knowledge about it. I wanted to pull that trigger myself. No phone calls no bothersome people ever on the line. How cool is that though? :)

System Name System V
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 // a bunch of 120 mm Xigmatek 1500 RPM fans (2 ins, 3 outs)
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz (BLS8G4D32AESCK.M8FE) (CL16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 8 GB
Storage SHFS37A240G / DT01ACA200 / WD20EZRX / MKNSSDTR256GB-3DL / LG BH16NS40 / ST10000VN0008
Display(s) LG 22MP55 IPS Display
Case NZXT Source 210
Audio Device(s) Logitech G430 Headset
Power Supply Corsair CX650M
Mouse Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0
Keyboard HP Vectra VE keyboard (Part # D4950-63004)
Software Whatever build of Windows 11 is being served in Dev channel at the time.
Benchmark Scores Corona 1.3: 3120620 r/s Cinebench R20: 3355 FireStrike: 12490 TimeSpy: 4624
Eh, do consider that maybe he doesn't need so much phone because laptop and desktop PC?

I mean, that kinda fits my case. I only have the phone for work stuff (and calling people), otherwise I'd just use the PC...

Hell, for stuff that only runs on phone, I just run BlueStacks or use Firefox's Adaptable Design mode (or whatever the name is) to simulate a phone and call it a day.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
RTX 3060 driver will limit mining performance

The manufacturer also announced that the upcoming GeForce RTX 3060 will have a special driver that will automatically detect mining-specific algorithms, which will limit the hash rate by 50%. This would ensure that the RTX 3060 will only be available to gamers, not miners.

and there's that..

System Name money pit..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..

The manufacturer also announced that the upcoming GeForce RTX 3060 will have a special driver that will automatically detect mining-specific algorithms, which will limit the hash rate by 50%. This would ensure that the RTX 3060 will only be available to gamers, not miners.

and there's that..

interesting..

trog

and there's that..

Something tells me they'll just reverse engineer the driver and bypass it.

Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Something tells me they'll just reverse engineer the driver and bypass it

As Bug said in another thread:

Windows uses driver signing to prevent tampering. But of course, miners aren't forced to use Windows...

System Name money pit..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
As Bug said in another thread:

Windows uses driver signing to prevent tampering. But of course, miners aren't forced to use Windows...

i am more interested in what the mining only versions end up costing..

trog

my gtx 1060 3gb - 120 watts, gg, 3060 - 170 watts, no thanks, let's wait 4060, see you next year