• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help, i need to Recover a bricked Vega 56

Serafin

Hi, i'm new to this forum and i hope someone will be kind enough to lend me a hand.

I have a bricked Gigabyte Vega 56. The previous owner tried to flash it with a Vega 64 bios and bricked it.
I tried to recover it with amdvbflash tool from Igor's lab but to no avail.
I'm using the integrated graphics of the cpu to be able to boot into windows 7.
I downloaded the most recent bios for this card from the vga bios repository and tried to flash it with the following command:
amdvbflash -p 0 Bios.rom
but i get an SSID mismatch error and a 0FL01 error

I tried using the -f flag to force the flash but it says that -f option is not supported in external version of the tool.

I then tried to use amdvbflashWin tool downloaded from techpowerup and i am able to use the -f flag to force the flash but i still get the 0FL01 error and it says Rom not erased.

Do you have any idea on how to fix it?

If i get one of those cheap SPI programmers should i be able to make it work again?

Thank you

J.

EDIT: By doing amdvbflash -ai i found out that the previous owner flashed a rx 480 bios in the card. He really messed up.

Last edited:
Processor i9 11900k
Motherboard Maximus XII Apex
Cooling Custom Liquid W/ 360x60 Radiator
Memory 32Gb Team XTREEM ARGB 3600 b-die
Video Card(s) Waterblocked MSI RTX 4070
Storage Intel 900p 480Gb + 4tb Intel 670p
Display(s) LG C2 evo 42"
Case Geometric Future Model 8
Audio Device(s) HD58X + Sennheiser GSX 1000
Power Supply Corsair RM 750x
Mouse Steelseries Aerox 5 wired
Keyboard Akko Mod 007b HE
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey+
Software Windows 11
Is there a bios switch on the board? Typically it's located on the front of the board where the crossfire connecters used to reside at.

Serafin

Thx :)

I downloaded the bios from the link you suggested but it is a .F5 format, do you think i should rename it .rom for it to be flashable with amdvbflash?

EDIT: I tried to flash the .F5 file and it is flashable but i still get "Rom not erased" and the 0FL01 error

What about the SPI programmers? Any of you have experience with those?
I was thinking about buying this one:

Last edited:
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit

Serafin

It looks like it has one but it does not. I inspected the card and where the switch should be there is nothing. Gigabyte probably reused the same PCB from a dual bios card for this one without adding the switch.

Attachments

• 10-8ae447138c33b22a8012a48fccdd9dab7.jpg
    10-8ae447138c33b22a8012a48fccdd9dab7.jpg
    525.7 KB · Views: 147

Serafin

I ordered an SPI programmer, it should arrive in the next few days. I hope that will fix the problem.

I ordered an SPI programmer, it should arrive in the next few days. I hope that will fix the problem.

You can inline flash that bios chip without desoldering.

You need this:

https://www.amazon.com/Elegoo-EL-CP-004-Multicolored-Breadboard-arduino/dp/B01EV70C78
to hook up the clip to the programmer.

Then you need to determine the voltage of the flash chip.
If it's 1.8v like Nvidia chips, you need a 1.8v adapter like this.

(then you simply wire the pomona clip to the 1.8v adapter).

If it's a 3.3v chip you should be ok without.

Pay attention to the "pin 1" marking and remember to wire it counter-clockwise to match the pin layout, so that the Pomona clip attaches to the right pins.
I force flashed my laptop GTX 1070 with the 1.8v adapter and a Skypro (Coright) programmer.

Serafin

Ok thank you.
The SPI programmer arrrived today. It's the CH341A. Do you think i need the 1.8 V adapter with this one or it adaps the voltage on it's own? I don't want to risk it and burn the bios chip.

EDIT: The CH341A works but i still have some problems: I manage to flash the chip with the original bios but the card still isn't recognized by the pc.

If i use amdvbflash -i it shows test fail the first time. Then if i use -i again it show test pass but i noticed that the rom size shown is 80000 while it should be 40000 for a 256 kb bios.
This led me to belive that there is a problem with the flashing. The bios chip is detected by the flashing software as a GigaDevice 25Q41 which has a rom size of 512 Kb. Maybe if i manage to set the chip as another model with 256 kb size it will work.

I'll keep you posted. Wish me luck.

EDIT2:ways but I tried to flash the bios with the SPI programmer in many still no results. I'm really puzzled because the stock bios is correctly written in the chip so i don't really understand what's going on. Maybe there is a protection sistem with the vega cards that blocks everything if someone bricks the card?

I hope in someone's advice because i really hit a wall here.

Attachments

• Help1.png
    Help1.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 156
Last edited: