• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to recover from a bad video BIOS flash

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK

Scroll down for drivers and flashers.

I can NOT for the life of me, find it? I also for the LIFE OF ME can not find one clear cut instruction!!! I have a X99 board dead till I get this figured out, I stumbled on to it before either here or Guru of 3D. Ive down loaded like 15 files nun either work or I can't find clear instructions on "how to use" on a mother board soldered chip. On the MSI X99 Gaming 9AC board they have dual bios but NO bios flashback, a $500 board when new and no flash back?

I know I'm whining here(for that I'm sorry) I need a link to just the CH341A software, and a link to a proper "how to" there is so many guys trying to show who shouldn't be I cant figure my ass for a hole in the ground!!!! No body on these forums has done a proper walk through? Step by step, again I'm sorry I just don't get it, I finally figured the 5V fix and did that last night, today I got the tool working enough to clear the chip but for the life of me could not figure how to install the bios I downloaded from MSI drivers site? I even abandoned the tool software I was using thinking I've got the wrong one...................When I scroll down I get links to parts of the drivers thingy, no tool interface. Just pulled out my last hair from my head, ugh.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
I can NOT for the life of me, find it? I also for the LIFE OF ME can not find one clear cut instruction!!! I have a X99 board dead till I get this figured out, I stumbled on to it before either here or Guru of 3D. Ive down loaded like 15 files nun either work or I can't find clear instructions on "how to use" on a mother board soldered chip. On the MSI X99 Gaming 9AC board they have dual bios but NO bios flashback, a $500 board when new and no flash back?

I know I'm whining here(for that I'm sorry) I need a link to just the CH341A software, and a link to a proper "how to" there is so many guys trying to show who shouldn't be I cant figure my ass for a hole in the ground!!!! No body on these forums has done a proper walk through? Step by step, again I'm sorry I just don't get it, I finally figured the 5V fix and did that last night, today I got the tool working enough to clear the chip but for the life of me could not figure how to install the bios I downloaded from MSI drivers site? I even abandoned the tool software I was using thinking I've got the wrong one...................When I scroll down I get links to parts of the drivers thingy, no tool interface. Just pulled out my last hair from my head, ugh.

Just 16MB AMI ROM file that need to be programmed on both chips.

After you installed the drivers, use CH341 programmer v1.13.

Last edited:
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Reading the X99 manual it explains how to reflash the borked Bios.
It also says it has a Bios switch you slide over to the working Bios to boot from.

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Software W10HB
Reading the X99 manual it explains how to reflash the borked Bios.
It also says it has a Bios switch you slide over to the working Bios to boot from.
And you didn't read my post, I posted both bios are corrupted. I cant get it to boot for a re flash. There is no bios flash back either like normal high end boards

Last edited:
System Name Black Box
Audio Device(s) No need.
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit

I did read your post, where does it say you borked BOTH of the Bios chips?

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Software W10HB
Just 16MB AMI ROM file that need to be programmed on both chips.

After you installed the drivers, use CH341 programmer v1.13.
OK,
I'm in the final stretch, I got the CH341A software to work with the As programmer (I even volt modded my USB flasher) and un modded it. My issue now Is when I got to flash the chip, it seems like its locked? There is a thing to un lock it in As programmer but it doesn't un lock, UGH! My final hair just hit the floor, do I need to power up the mother board? I'm at my witts end, I even took 24 hours off just to calm down I was so stressed. My main rig is still apart..
OK, so the Chip for the bios is a MX25L12873F(if that helps)and there are 2 of them. I can get the software to do everything but flash the chips.........HELP and THANK YOU!!!

OK,
I'm in the final stretch, I got the CH341A software to work with the As programmer (I even volt modded my USB flasher) and un modded it. My issue now Is when I got to flash the chip, it seems like its locked? There is a thing to un lock it in As programmer but it doesn't un lock, UGH! My final hair just hit the floor, do I need to power up the mother board? I'm at my witts end, I even took 24 hours off just to calm down I was so stressed. My main rig is still apart..
OK, so the Chip for the bios is a MX25L12873F(if that helps)and there are 2 of them. I can get the software to do everything but flash the chips.........HELP and THANK YOU!!!

It's problems like this why I bought the Skypro progammer. The CH314A is as cheap as they come, and when problems happen, you have to see if someone else has a solution.
the Skypro's software is excellent.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
OK,

Your chip requires some special attention.

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Software W10HB
It's problems like this why I bought the Skypro progammer. The CH314A is as cheap as they come, and when problems happen, you have to see if someone else has a solution.
the Skypro's software is excellent.
You give me an alternative but no link, PLEASE? And Thank you! also THANK YOU Regeneration!!!!!:toast:

You can get the skypro 1, 2 or 3 from Aliexpress.

It's on amazon for inflated prices and their search won't find it unless you use strange terms.

pomawka881

After a failed BIOS firmware, I got a black screen when booting. My graphics card has a dual BIOS, so I booted in silent mode. I could not flash the broken BIOS, I tried all possible options. The Windows version of ATIFlash did not open. An error popped up - The BIOS memory is not read. When executing the "amdvbflash -i" command, the value in the TEST field was "ffff" instead of "pass". As a result, the "amdvbflash" version for Linux helped me to flash the BIOS. If you have the same problem, try the Linux version!

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
After a failed BIOS firmware, I got a black screen when booting. My graphics card has a dual BIOS, so I booted in silent mode. I could not flash the broken BIOS, I tried all possible options. The Windows version of ATIFlash did not open. An error popped up - The BIOS memory is not read. When executing the "amdvbflash -i" command, the value in the TEST field was "ffff" instead of "pass". As a result, the "amdvbflash" version for Linux helped me to flash the BIOS. If you have the same problem, try the Linux version!
Thanks for the feedback.

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Software W10HB
I'm dead in the water, may try pulling the chip. I can get the chip info and everything but every time i try to flash it says chips locked, its got nothing to do with my cheap flasher(its the chip). Unless you can provide a link(which you did not) then yer just not HELPING!!! Has nothing to do with the flasher, has to do with the Chip as its a UEFI bios. I may try n pull the chip solder it to my cheap Ch341A, but this did motivate me to pull out a few dead GPU'S I have Power Color RX480 8GB Red Devils, and see if I can flash them...................

@ falkentyne stop thread crapping, post a link(as I already asked you to do), don't hynder me help. Again its not the flasher its the CHIP.

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Software W10HB
Spent $15 on a Bios chip(pre programmed), I'll un solder one of mine see if it works..............I'll post back.

OK,
First thank you to Regeneration for all your help and Patients with me, I figured sense I got the chip coming minds well pull one n try to flash it. It seems to have worked, Have a Heat machine and a soldering station. Soldered it to the board, eliminated the alligator clip. But it also seems to have unlocked the Chip by removing it too(cause its UEFI). The first went so well, I'm flashing the second one and putting it back on. Then ill try to boot it in the AM and post back. I'll edit this post to let you know how it went..............

Once Again my Board is an MSI X99 Gaming 9AC, with dual BIOS. These Bios chips must come off the board in order to flash them properly(unlock them).

AGAIN THANK YOU!

Low quality post by Falkentyne
I'm dead in the water, may try pulling the chip. I can get the chip info and everything but every time i try to flash it says chips locked, its got nothing to do with my cheap flasher(its the chip). Unless you can provide a link(which you did not) then yer just not HELPING!!! Has nothing to do with the flasher, has to do with the Chip as its a UEFI bios. I may try n pull the chip solder it to my cheap Ch341A, but this did motivate me to pull out a few dead GPU'S I have Power Color RX480 8GB Red Devils, and see if I can flash them...................

@ falkentyne stop thread crapping, post a link(as I already asked you to do), don't hynder me help. Again its not the flasher its the CHIP.

What's your problem, dude? Who the hell is thread crapping?
instead of being an elitist jerk, try saying 'thank you ' once in awhile.
Because of your attitude, I'll let you learn how to use google by yourself.

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Software W10HB
Well,
That didn't go so good, one chip lost a leg in the process. But the replacement just arrived, we shall see.........

Muerte92

Hi guys, i hope you can help me. I flashed the bios of my 5700xt nitro+ everything worked fine but I started to have Problems with amdvbflash. Every time i type in -i or try stuff like unlock rom the consulting nearly instantly closes. However, the card itself works fine. With the Windows Version of amdvbflash i Was able to Flash the original bios back on the card but now everytime I try to Flash with the Windows Version i get the Massage that there is an error reading the vbios Image.
In my mining Software the card gets recognized in games and the amd Software the card works fine but i need to Flash it again back to the modded Version. Any idea how I bring the card back to appear in amdvbflash?

randomA

Hi, I would need an nvflash version that supports rtx and -5 (overridetype). Does such a version exist?

I noticed that -5 is a valid function only in older versions and then got rid of it. Anyone has it?

Thanks a lot in advance.

System Name Black Box
Audio Device(s) No need.
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I'm trying to flash a card for the first time and have been scratching my head for hours as the"simple steps" shown in the O.P. aren't working for me and aren't explained clearly enough for a newby.
I can navigate to the folder with nvflash and the rom in it, but when I get to: "Type: "nvflash64_patched_5.590.0 -a" to see which adapter id is the bricked card"
It keeps chucking up an error message, wtf?
Edit:
I managed to get this far where it shows an ID mismatch and refuses to continue. :confused:
Could someone tell me how to get around the ID mismatch and force flash it?
Flash (2).png

Last edited:

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
I'm trying to flash a card for the first time and have been scratching my head for hours as the"simple steps" shown in the O.P. aren't working for me and aren't explained clearly enough for a newby.
I can navigate to the folder with nvflash and the rom in it, but when I get to: "Type: "nvflash64_patched_5.590.0 -a" to see which adapter id is the bricked card"
It keeps chucking up an error message, wtf?
Edit:
I managed to get this far where it shows an ID mismatch and refuses to continue. :confused:
Could someone tell me how to get around the ID mismatch and force flash it?
View attachment 199294

Text in the screenshot isn't readable. Add -6 to the command line to force flash.

System Name Black Box
Audio Device(s) No need.
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Text in the screenshot isn't readable. Add -6 to the command line to force flash.
Tried that earlier and it still gave the error message.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Tried that earlier and it still gave the error message.

Try -4 -5 -6 and make sure the device ID of the ROM and GPU are the same. If it's old card, try older version of nvflash. If the device ID was altered somehow (usually physical damage), you'll need CH341A to flash back. Subsystem/vendor/board ID can be force flashed, but not GPU device ID.

randomA

Try -4 -5 -6 and make sure the device ID of the ROM and GPU are the same. If it's old card, try older version of nvflash. If the device ID was altered somehow (usually physical damage), you'll need CH341A to flash back. Subsystem/vendor/board ID can be force flashed, but not GPU device ID.
I'm in a similar situation but on an RTX - any chance there's a version of nvflash that supports both -5 and -6 AND RTX cards?

System Name Black Box
Audio Device(s) No need.
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Thanks but I've given up on it as it's a P104 4GB I wanted to try flashing to 8GB and the ID's don't match.
I'll just sell it as is before it gets bricked, somebody could possibly use it for mining still.