• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD is Preparing RDNA-Based Cryptomining GPU SKUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
Back in February, NVIDIA has announced its GPU SKUs dedicated to the cryptocurrency mining task, without any graphics outputs present on the chips. Today, we are getting information that AMD is rumored to introduce its own lineup of graphics cards dedicated to cryptocurrency mining. In the latest patch for AMD Direct Rendering Manager (DRM), a subsystem of the Linux kernel responsible for interfacing with GPUs, we see the appearance of the Navi 12. This GPU SKU was not used for anything except Apple's Mac devices in a form of Radeon Pro 5600M GPU. However, it seems like the Navi 12 could join forces with Navi 10 GPU SKU and become a part of special "blockchain" GPUs.

Way back in November, popular hardware leaker, KOMACHI, has noted that AMD is preparing three additional Radeon SKUs called Radeon RX 5700XTB, RX 5700B, and RX 5500XTB. The "B" added to the end of each name is denoting the blockchain revision, made specifically for crypto-mining. When it comes to specifications of the upcoming mining-specific AMD GPUs, we know that both use first-generation RDNA architecture and have 2560 Stream Processors (40 Compute Units). Memory configuration for these cards remains unknown, as AMD surely won't be putting HBM2 stacks for mining like it did with Navi 12 GPU. All that remains is to wait and see what AMD announces in the coming months.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Low quality post by Minus Infinity

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
So these d!ckheads can't even supply GPU's to the public and will now divert precious silicon to crypto-scum.
More likely, salvaging chips that wouldn't go on a "gaming" card because they were defective, and sticking them on a "crypto-scum" card.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I really don't understand Nvidia and AMD on this one... limited amount of silicon, limited amount of factory time... just keep making gpu's for gamers and let the miners deal with it, you can't supply them with enough, you never will be able to until the price crashes again... at least with regular cards people on a budget can buy a miner card during a crash, but with these specific miner cards they won't be able to do that... either way AMD and Nvidia won't be helping gamers get gpu's, so just make them for gamers only...

really quite sad to see this. oh well, at least my rig is done being built. i do think it's a crappy business move though. the silicon foundries are already too busy and can't keep up with anything, why add another SKU at all...

More likely, salvaging chips that wouldn't go on a "gaming" card because they were defective, and sticking them on a "crypto-scum" card.

doubtful, this is your assumption... any evidence to back that up? also doesn't explain TSMC factory time which is allocated to the max for good chips, not enough time for even the good chips, so even if your argument is true, it doesn't bypass my argument. there are plenty of good chips ready to go, TSMC just is overloaded.

hat

Enthusiast
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Benchmark Scores >9000
I really don't understand Nvidia and AMD on this one... limited amount of silicon, limited amount of factory time... just keep making gpu's for gamers and let the miners deal with it, you can't supply them with enough, you never will be able to until the price crashes again... at least with regular cards people on a budget can buy a miner card during a crash, but with these specific miner cards they won't be able to do that... either way AMD and Nvidia won't be helping gamers get gpu's, so just make them for gamers only...

really quite sad to see this. oh well, at least my rig is done being built. i do think it's a crappy business move though. the silicon foundries are already too busy and can't keep up with anything, why add another SKU at all...
Then miners will just buy the gaming cards.

And, again, it's not a farfetched idea that the GPUs going on these mining cards are defective in some way that they wouldn't quite make the cut to go on a full gaming card. So really they're salvaging silicon that otherwise would have went to waste and giving it to miners. This actually helps increase availability for everyone.
doubtful, this is your assumption... any evidence to back that up? also doesn't explain TSMC factory time which is allocated to the max for good chips, not enough time for even the good chips, so even if your argument is true, it doesn't bypass my argument. there are plenty of good chips ready to go, TSMC just is overloaded.

I believe this is what was being said last time we were seeing crypto mining cards. It's a common practice in the silicon industry to see chips not good enough for the intended product to go to some lessor product. Intel F/KF series is a perfect example. Bad iGPU, so they make a new SKU to sell the chip with the bad iGPU.

Not sure what you're saying with your argument about TSMC. Just because they're overloaded doesn't mean they are making 100% good chips. In all manufacturing, not every part is perfect. Why wouldn't you be trying to find ways to use the less than perfect parts, if you could?

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v

Uhm, do you even have the first idea about chip manufacturing? Based on your comment here, it doesn't seem like it.
Yes, TSMC are damned good at what they're doing, but even they have defect rates. It might only stand at 0.09 defects per square centimetre on the 7nm node, but that's enough for it to be flawed chips. Their 5nm node apparently improves upon this, but it doesn't mean it's flawless.
This is obviously why all companies have chip binning at a certain point.
It doesn't work as you seem to think it does, this is why both AMD, Nvidia, Intel etc. have multiple SKUs of the same chip, as this is a means of recovering chips with slight flaws in them.
The chip flaw could be anywhere really. So say you get a chip flaw in the display output bit, that could never become a GPU, but it would be fine as a mining chip. There might be another flaw that means the chip has half of its PCIe lanes disabled or the video encoder or just about anything else that's relevant to a GPU, but not a mining chip.
So it's very possible that both AMD and Nvidia has stacks of these chips that were going to be junked, that they're now screening to see if they can be used for these stupid mining cards.
It's literally a gold mine for these companies as they can recover parts that would otherwise have been useless to them and only incurred a cost.
I mean, they make a lot more on selling defect chips to miners, than making keychains out of them.

System Name Poor Man's PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7500F
Motherboard MSI B650M Mortar WiFi
Cooling ID Cooling SE 206 XT
Memory 32GB GSkill Flare X5 DDR5 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) XFX Merc 310 RX 7900 XT
Storage XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2TB + 8 TB WD Ultrastar DC HC320
Display(s) Mi Gaming Curved 3440x1440 144Hz
Case Asus A21
Audio Device(s) MPow Air Wireless + Mi Soundbar
Power Supply Enermax Revolution DF 650W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 3
Keyboard Logitech Pro X + Kailh box heavy pale blue switch + Durock stabilizers
VR HMD Meta Quest 2
Benchmark Scores Who need bench when everything already fast?
Uhm, do you even have the first idea about chip manufacturing? Based on your comment here, it doesn't seem like it.
Yes, TSMC are damned good at what they're doing, but even they have defect rates. It might only stand at 0.09 defects per square centimetre on the 7nm node, but that's enough for it to be flawed chips. Their 5nm node apparently improves upon this, but it doesn't mean it's flawless.
This is obviously why all companies have chip binning at a certain point.
It doesn't work as you seem to think it does, this is why both AMD, Nvidia, Intel etc. have multiple SKUs of the same chip, as this is a means of recovering chips with slight flaws in them.
The chip flaw could be anywhere really. So say you get a chip flaw in the display output bit, that could never become a GPU, but it would be fine as a mining chip. There might be another flaw that means the chip has half of its PCIe lanes disabled or the video encoder or just about anything else that's relevant to a GPU, but not a mining chip.
So it's very possible that both AMD and Nvidia has stacks of these chips that were going to be junked, that they're now screening to see if they can be used for these stupid mining cards.
It's literally a gold mine for these companies as they can recover parts that would otherwise have been useless to them and only incurred a cost.
I mean, they make a lot more on selling defect chips to miners, than making keychains out of them.

Not to mention all these production come in "batch", not some rolling conveyor belt you could produce every time. That said, more likely higher margin to sell these chip as "mining card" rather give'em laser lock and put them notch below stack. I don't see this a "solution" though, more like a band aid for the time being, as process mature and gold rush ended, everything will back to "normal".

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
tsk tsk AMD, why u do dis, again, if they just make some dedicated card on something like 12nm or whatever Global Foundry's for example can handle and have them make it....then sure, but RX5700 is also 7nm which means TSMC has to do it which means it eats away at...well everything AND agian these cards are useless once this boom is over so E-Waste....come on!

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
tsk tsk AMD, why u do dis, again, if they just make some dedicated card on something like 12nm or whatever Global Foundry's for example can handle and have them make it....then sure, but RX5700 is also 7nm which means TSMC has to do it which means it eats away at...well everything AND agian these cards are useless once this boom is over so E-Waste....come on!
Doesn't TSMC have like 3 different 7nm nodes?

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Doesn't TSMC have like 3 different 7nm nodes?

Processor Intel Core i5 4590
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 3
Cooling Intel Stock Cooler
Memory 8GiB(2x4GiB) DDR3-1600 [800MHz]
Video Card(s) XFX RX 560D 4GiB
Storage Transcend SSD370S 128GB; Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung S20D300 20" 768p TN
Case Cooler Master MasterBox E501L
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair VS450
Mouse A4Tech N-70FX
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores BaseMark GPU : 250 Point in HD 4600
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
So just a multi-billion dollar corp after profit too.

Who'd of thought.

Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE

Who'd of thought.
People seem to forget how AMD promoted blockchain application for Vega or RVII during previous mining craze.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
People seem to forget how AMD promoted blockchain application for Vega or RVII during previous mining craze.

Definitely, I remember the Vega FE marketing updated to attract "Blockchain pioneers".

System Name Proper
Processor 5900X + OC
Motherboard GB X570s Elite AX
Cooling WC Heatkiller 3.0 LT
Memory G.Skill 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3070 Ti Trinity LC'ed + OC
Storage KC2500 1TB + A2000 1TB
Display(s) GB M32Q
Case Fractal Define R6 USB C
Audio Device(s) Creative AE-7 + Phonic AM120
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-850
Mouse Log G502 X LS
Keyboard Keychron K5 Opt.brown
Let's just say it will be like that - what do You think will happen, when the demand is too high? They'll just start using normal chips. AMD already did it at least once, with Phenom II CPUs - they used defecive chips for Phenom II X3 CPUs, but when the production couldn't satisfy the demand, they just started using fully functional X4 chips with 1 core software-locked.

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR / AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
Gamers!... We got gamers here!

See, nobody cares.

Processor Ryzen 5600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 6700 10GB SWFT 309
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703 (TTC Gold 60M)
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (Gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
But why RDNA, chips that should go into gaming cards, and not CDNA, chips that were designed for this crap. Especially since they, most of the time, don't have video processing and outputs by default.

Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me

Who'd of thought.
It doesnt matter is the company is worth $100 or $100 billion, they need to make money to survive.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Let's just say it will be like that - what do You think will happen, when the demand is too high? They'll just start using normal chips. AMD already did it at least once, with Phenom II CPUs - they used defecive chips for Phenom II X3 CPUs, but when the production couldn't satisfy the demand, they just started using fully functional X4 chips with 1 core software-locked.
As many of us who bought those $50 chips were happy to learn.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
What happens to these headless cards if/when mining crashes again? Weren't we stuck with a GPU oversupply last time the bubble burst? Headless or dedicated mining cards solve that problem for the GPU makers. Those castrated cards are now useless for repurposing in the gaming market. Will it just keep demand higher during mining busts by preventing that oversupply from happening again?

Soon the crypto market will crash and nobody will buy these crypto miner gpus because will not be any resale value unless they are extremely cheap x gaming gpus.

What happens to these headless cards if/when mining crashes again? Weren't we stuck with a GPU oversupply last time the bubble burst? Headless or dedicated mining cards solve that problem for the GPU makers. Those castrated cards are now useless for repurposing in the gaming market. Will it just keep demand higher during mining busts by preventing that oversupply from happening again?

Yeah, 100% sure we will have a gpu oversupply again just like 2018 after the crypto market crash, rtx 3060ti will be $200~$300, right now 3060ti's are sold for $1300, insane.

hat

Enthusiast
Benchmark Scores >9000
If it crashes and we have a ton of mining cards available for cheap, certain opportunists and hobbyists will grab them.

Again, let's not forget there are applications for cards that might not involve gaming or mining that these cards could be used for.

AMD is seriously pissing off it's remaining fan base (me included) in order to squeeze some additional bucks out of the crypto craze. I don't think that's a good strategy as they're making themselves less and less relevant in dGPU space (their dGPU market share shrank to only 16% in 2020). They're neglecting one thing... most of us ATI/AMD buyers buy their GPUs because of favorable price to performance ratio (most bang for your buck), but for some reason AMD decided to stop competing with price after RDNA introduction which would be OK if they could offer better products than NGreedia, but that has not been the case. As someone who has bought ATI Rage 128, ATI R800X Pro, ATI HD 4870, AMD HD 6870, R9 280X and RX480 (& now own 2nd hand 1080TI) in the past, I see zero reason to continue buying AMD over Nvidia products until AMD offers us faster GPU for the same money or slower GPU with substantial price discount compared to Ngreedia.

Willingness to support the underdog goes only so far. AMD GPU division is acting like they're top kids on the block regardless of owning only 16% of "street corners" and inferior stuff to sell. Sure they'll be able to sell their "shit" during product scarcity, but every street dealer will tell you're gonna get your ass beaten up the moment supply catches up with demand : )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.