• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Launches 11th Gen Core "Rocket Lake": Unmatched Overclocking and Gaming Performance

lol why don't you respond to the last post I sent you?

And what is that Anandtech review about a 65w comet lake have to do with Math?

You are gonna have to up your game if you want to troll with me son.
Didn't see the last post .. I'll check it out in a bit. Meanwhile there's a reason Intel puts out locked and unlocked cpu's. Unlocked ones are for the small minority who don't mind paying more for cooling along with a board with heftier VRM's for that small gain it brings. The rest of us look at the benchmarks along with the savings and thank ourselves for going with the locked cpu. That's where the math comes in or didn't you figure that out yet.

System Name The Expanse
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-Pro BIOS 5003 AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.B
Cooling Corsair H150i Pro
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident RGB DDR4-3200 14-14-14-34-1T (B-Die)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24GB (24.3.1)
Storage WD SN850X 2TB / Corsair MP600 1TB / Samsung 860Evo 1TB x2 Raid 0 / Asus NAS AS1004T V2 14TB
Display(s) LG 34GP83A-B 34 Inch 21: 9 UltraGear Curved QHD (3440 x 1440) 1ms Nano IPS 160Hz
Case Fractal Design Meshify S2
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi + Logitech Z-5500 + HS80 Wireless
Power Supply Corsair AX850 Titanium
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB SE
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 22H2
Benchmark Scores 3800X https://valid.x86.fr/1zr4a5 5800X https://valid.x86.fr/2dey9c
Didn't see the last post .. I'll check it out in a bit. Meanwhile there's a reason Intel puts out locked and unlocked cpu's. Unlocked ones are for the small minority who don't mind paying more for cooling along with a board with heftier VRM's for that small gain it brings. The rest of us look at the benchmarks along with the savings and thank ourselves for going with the locked cpu. That's where the math comes in or didn't you figure that out yet.

I don't buy locked CPU's so no I didn't bother even thinking about it. And i'm not working with a small budget so trying to save a few bucks here and there also not a big deal.

To each his own and good luck.

I don't buy locked CPU's so no I didn't bother even thinking about it. And i'm not working with a small budget so trying to save a few bucks here and there also not a big deal.
Yet it is a big deal with most buyers.

The Z boards allow for that unlocked cpu to be OC. Factor in the cost of the board vs the B560 boards, the cost for better cpu cooling and the cost of the unlocked cpu vs the locked cpu. That difference will get you a 1TB nvme SSD with money left over.

ASUS PRIME Z590-P $189.99

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813119384?Item=N82E16813119384
ASUS PRIME B560-PLUS $119.99

Last edited:
System Name (2008) Dell XPS 730x H2C
Processor Intel Extreme QX9770 @ 3.8GHz (No OC)
Motherboard Dell LGA 775 (Dell Propiatary)
Cooling Dell AIO Ceramic Water Cooling (Dell Propiatary)
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4) DDR3
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB (2016 ebay-used)
Storage (2) WD 1TB Velociraptor & (1) WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Alienware 34" AW3420DW (Amazon Warehouse)
Case Stock Dell 730x with "X" Side Panel (65 pounds fully decked out)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-FI Titanium & Corsair SP2500 Speakers
Power Supply PSU: 1000 Watt (Dell Propiatary)
Mouse Alienware AW610M (Amazon Warehouse)
Keyboard Corsair K95 XT (Amazon Warehouse)
Software Windows 7 Ultimate & Alienware FX Lighting
Benchmark Scores No Benchmarking & Overclocking
People are too fixated about specs, specs which they usually know little about. We have no confirmation of the launch window for Alder Lake. It could be very late 2021, but quite possibly later.

Intel Reports First-Quarter 2021 financial results on Thursday, April 22, 2021 at the close of market. I am quite sure that the Intel boys will then let the plain facts tell the story. Discussions with their major attending institutional investors will be addressing their "readily available" Z590 product (by then on the market in full swing) and the Alder Lake arrival and its progress later this year. The pallette of their Z590 CPU's which are produced in Intel very owned foundries is expected to be selling like hotcakes. It is said that many enthusiasts simply cannot wait any longer to upgrade and then additionally to relish in the Z590 motherboard offerings. Better chipset expansion and PCIe 4.0 leading the way. Wall Street in turn is no longer in favor of AMD and prefers Intel as it can deliver for now guaranteed CPU production, deliveries and sales unlike AMD. It is well known that AMD has major production problems and is already in talk to expanding its subcontracting of their chipsets. TSMC, the world’s largest contract manufacturer of chipsets was not able to meet AMD's expectations. The engagement of an additional (overseas) new chip contractor will however take time as to complete factory retooling is necessary and as much as 120-180 days before full production is realized. AMD once the investment darling has also recently dropped in stock value and the fact remains that Wall Street has no memory. My take-away: AMD should get their own USA based foundries and get complete control of their fate and not finding it overseas. Furthermore, there are downsides to working with multiple foundry partners. AMD would be paying twice to design the same CPU, and each version would have to be customized to the foundry it was built on. We are living in interesting times.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
Unmatched power consumption too?
(haven't made up my mind whether it's even worth reading the article yet :D)

Rocket Lake cpu's listed on US & UK sites for less than 48 hours now and they're already dropping the prices on those cpu's.
Yes Sir...I love competition and what it does for the man on the street like me. With WFH and part-time jobs with no benefits prevailing cash remains king. I am dreaming about a Z590 Asus mobo as well but those prices are also out of reach. Perhaps coming-off a 10 plus year older PC set-up, I should consider in going with a Z490 upgrade approach and wait for those hardware components to go on sale.Thoughts?

Yes Sir...I love competition and what it does for the man on the street like me. With WFH and part-time jobs with no benefits prevailing cash remains king. I am dreaming about a Z590 Asus mobo as well but those prices are also out of reach. Perhaps coming-off a 10 plus year older PC set-up, I should consider in going with a Z490 upgrade approach and wait for those hardware components to go on sale.Thoughts?
Tough to recommend a Z board and unlocked cpu these days when the locked cpu's are going head to head with the unlocked cpu's by a simple manipulation of the block multiplier on a B560 board.

System Name Mirkwood
Processor AMD RYZEN 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi) AM4 AMD X470
Cooling Noctua D15S with additional Noctua NF-A12x25 FLX fan
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series CL16 3200Mhz 16GB (4 x 8GB)
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Radeon RX 570 DirectX 12 GV-RX570GAMING-4GD 4GB
Storage Crucial MX500 M.2 2280 500GB SATA III; WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive
Display(s) Philips 246E9QDSB 24" Frameless Monitor, Full HD IPS, 129% sRGB, 75Hz, FreeSync
Case Corsair Graphite Series 780T
Audio Device(s) Klipsch R-41PM powered monitors and SVS SB-2000 sub
Power Supply Corsair HX650
Mouse Logitech Wireless Performance Mouse MX
Keyboard Old Logitech keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64Bit
Rocket Lake cpu's listed on US & UK sites for less than 48 hours now and they're already dropping the prices on those cpu's. Intel once again showing the :love:
Nah, they are admitting they have an inferior product!

Nah, they are admitting they have an inferior product!
No doubt that AMD cpu's are superior to Intel's when it comes to cpu intensive task. With that said the average buyer who is looking at a general office build and/or gaming build will most likely go Intel for not only the savings but also the simple plug & play Intel builds offer. Watch Intel continue to drop the price on their cpu's knowing that AMD can't afford to do the same due to AMD's junior league manufacturing & distribution methods.

System Name Mirkwood
Storage Crucial MX500 M.2 2280 500GB SATA III; WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive
Display(s) Philips 246E9QDSB 24" Frameless Monitor, Full HD IPS, 129% sRGB, 75Hz, FreeSync
No doubt that AMD cpu's are superior to Intel's when it comes to cpu intensive task. With that said the average buyer who is looking at a general office build and/or gaming build will most likely go Intel for not only the savings but also the simple plug & play Intel builds offer. Watch Intel continue to drop the price on their cpu's knowing that AMD can't afford to do the same due to AMD's junior league manufacturing & distribution methods.
AMD was a serious competitor to Intel back in the day, but they made some poor choices around 15-20 ago that lead to Intel growing a lot with the Core architecture. AMD is not in the junior leagues, they are churning out competitive and superior products. They haven’t recaptured the market share that they lost over the years. Ryzen uarch is helping them regain market share, and giving Intel much needed competition to drive innovation from both companies. AMD used to own all their own fabs but sold them off to get leaner and pay debt. Intel is stumbling badly trying to get 10nm node up and running smoothly whereas TSMC has left them in the dust with node shrinks. Obviously their respective nodes are not directly comparable, but I say this to point out that Intel isn’t doing so hot right now. AMD is spread a bit thin with manufacturing from TSMC, but they don’t have to fund their own chip fan I g, they let TSMC deal with those headaches, but that can also be a problem for them if something goes south for TSMC.

Also, you forget that AMD offers very competitive Ryzen CPU with onboard graphics that decimate Intel’s offerings and at a lower price point for OEM and system builders. The average Joe wanting a home office computer is t buying the chips we buy, they are buying the Ryzen 4000 series powered computers.

AMD was a serious competitor to Intel back in the day, but they made some poor choices around 15-20 ago that lead to Intel growing a lot with the Core architecture. AMD is not in the junior leagues, they are churning out competitive and superior products. They haven’t recaptured the market share that they lost over the years. Ryzen uarch is helping them regain market share, and giving Intel much needed competition to drive innovation from both companies. AMD used to own all their own fabs but sold them off to get leaner and pay debt. Intel is stumbling badly trying to get 10nm node up and running smoothly whereas TSMC has left them in the dust with node shrinks. Obviously their respective nodes are not directly comparable, but I say this to point out that Intel isn’t doing so hot right now. AMD is spread a bit thin with manufacturing from TSMC, but they don’t have to fund their own chip fan I g, they let TSMC deal with those headaches, but that can also be a problem for them if something goes south for TSMC.

Also, you forget that AMD offers very competitive Ryzen CPU with onboard graphics that decimate Intel’s offerings and at a lower price point for OEM and system builders. The average Joe wanting a home office computer is t buying the chips we buy, they are buying the Ryzen 4000 series powered computers.
Intel is dropping prices while AMD is raising theirs in some countries. If AMD learned anything from this virus, it's don't have a junior league manufacturing & distribution setup if you want to trade blows with Team Blue. btw how good of onboard graphics does one require to run MS Office @ 1080P.

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Twice the power, huh? Not in your average workloads and certainly not while gaming - actually AMD still manages to hold "the crown" in that regard:

An average is not the same as peak - and the intels DO peak much much higher

It also rubs in the point that the intels are fast... but only for a few seconds before they have to slow down again.
Of course everyone just slaps in an all core OC to fix that issue, shooting the wattage back up again

System Name Mirkwood
Intel is dropping prices while AMD is raising theirs in some countries. If AMD learned anything from this virus, it's don't have a junior league manufacturing & distribution setup if you want to trade blows with Team Blue. btw how good of onboard graphics does one require to run MS Office @ 1080P.
When you can buy two AMD desktops for the price of one Intel, it is a can be a no brainer for some businesses. Marketing can talk up onboard graphics for DOTA, Fortnight, etc. for the very casual gamer and AMD lays the smackdown on Intel in this category.

Gee you'd have to be desperate to get this toaster rather than wait for Alder Lake. Alder Lake will have 20% IPC uplift but massive multi-thread uplift. Alder Lake looks likely to give AMD a hurry up and even Zen3+ might not be enough to overtake it. Rocket Lake is a desperate move to win 1080p laming benchmarks, because hey I spend big dollars on high-end CPU and GPU to play at 1080p.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Gee you'd have to be desperate to get this toaster rather than wait for Alder Lake. Alder Lake will have 20% IPC uplift but massive multi-thread uplift. Alder Lake looks likely to give AMD a hurry up and even Zen3+ might not be enough to overtake it. Rocket Lake is a desperate move to win 1080p laming benchmarks, because hey I spend big dollars on high-end CPU and GPU to play at 1080p.
Alder Lake won't compete with Zen3, at least not for long. AMD's answer to Alder Lake already exists in the flesh - as Epyc engineering samples, and it's reported to have 29% higher IPC than Zen3.

By the time Alder Lake and DDR5 hit mass market, AMD will be selling something 29% faster than Zen3 on TSMC 5nm and I don't know about you but I trust TSMC more than Intel's still no-show for any high-performance 10nm parts. 10nm might be better than it was but there are no desktop, server, or datacenter products made using 10nm. It's flaky and unimpressive - we've had a bunch of Ice Lake laptops and they run hot and slow, two have gone back under warranty for IGP failure. Tiger Lake may be better but once bitten, twice shy so I've never used one.

If value for money is important and your existing rig is 10+ years old, just grab an i5-11400 with some DDR4-3200 on a B560 board. It's going to be a vast improvement over a C2Q and if you grab yourself a decent budget 1TB NVMe drive like the WD SN550 or Kingston A2000 you're going to be getting a big upgrade for not a lot of cash.

I'll assume you already have a GPU, if not stick with the HD 750 IGP until GPUs are available again. Amusingly the GTX 970 is terrible for mining so those are going for a reasonably price on ebay (£125 or so) which makes them "good" performance/$ if you need something right now that's approximately capable of 1080p60 in plenty of games.

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
It's the low VRAM on the 970's crippling them for mining, so yes they're selling cheap

You need about 5GB of VRAM these days for a mining card and they're only 3.5GB of fast VRAM with their fun scandal, so they've been too 'weak' for some time allowing prices to drop

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I'd like to see Intel attempt to compete with this:

Intel don't even need to attempt, they won The Great Frequency War (that nobody cared about) decades ago! :D

1616079368717.png

photoshop, you say? how deplorable!

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
If value for money is important and your existing rig is 10+ years old, just grab an i5-11400 with some DDR4-3200 on a B560 board. It's going to be a vast improvement over a C2Q and if you grab yourself a decent budget 1TB NVMe drive like the WD SN550 or Kingston A2000 you're going to be getting a big upgrade for not a lot of cash.

I'll assume you already have a GPU, if not stick with the HD 750 IGP until GPUs are available again. Amusingly the GTX 970 is terrible for mining so those are going for a reasonably price on ebay (£125 or so) which makes them "good" performance/$ if you need something right now that's approximately capable of 1080p60 in plenty of games.
This ^^

Alder Lake won't compete with Zen3, at least not for long. AMD's answer to Alder Lake already exists in the flesh - as Epyc engineering samples, and it's reported to have 29% higher IPC than Zen3.

By the time Alder Lake and DDR5 hit mass market, AMD will be selling something 29% faster than Zen3 on TSMC 5nm and I don't know about you but I trust TSMC more than Intel's still no-show for any high-performance 10nm parts. 10nm might be better than it was but there are no desktop, server, or datacenter products made using 10nm. It's flaky and unimpressive - we've had a bunch of Ice Lake laptops and they run hot and slow, two have gone back under warranty for IGP failure. Tiger Lake may be better but once bitten, twice shy so I've never used one.

Many thanks and your points are very well taken and really appreciated. Indeed I am long overdue for a total new 'set-up' and as you probably gleaned from my cobbled together and posted existing system specifications. Even though I am limping along, I am currently on my third Mobo, AIO, GPU and PSU and upgraded memory. Most of which having been costly compliments of Dell's splendid propiatary hardware. For the "New Build" of course I want to be sure first in having all of the new hardware parts on my table. And not finding myself hung-up (as an example) on a GPU unavailability and which money cannot buy. This said my trusty GTX 980ti should be able to carrying me through until the 3000 series cards are readily available at MSRP. Until then I will just play Dishonored, Fallout 4 and Wolfenstein for the 100th time. No rest for the weary.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Many thanks and your points are very well taken and really appreciated. Indeed I am long overdue for a total new 'set-up' and as you probably gleaned from my cobbled together and posted existing system specifications. Even though I am limping along, I am currently on my third Mobo, AIO, GPU and PSU and upgraded memory. Most of which having been costly compliments of Dell's splendid propiatary hardware. For the "New Build" of course I want to be sure first in having all of the new hardware parts on my table. And not finding myself hung-up (as an example) on a GPU unavailability and which money cannot buy. This said my trusty GTX 980ti should be able to carrying me through until the 3000 series cards are readily available at MSRP. Until then I will just play Dishonored, Fallout 4 and Wolfenstein for the 100th time. No rest for the weary.
980Ti is still a fine card, You'll be fine with it as long as you're not aiming for 1440p144Hz or 4K60. I've just sold my 5700XT for a disgusting price on ebay (more than double what I paid for it brand new) and am currently playing SOTR, Prey, and Borderlands3 DLCs on a vanilla 980 I had lying around. Buttery smooth at max, or near-max graphics settings.

It's easy to get swept up in the hype but AAA games can still look great at 1080p60 and higher resolutions and framerates don't make the game itself any better.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Hah i had an AMD A6 laptop years ago you could change the multi on and windows would read it, but it'd never affect the clocks - we had screenies of 50GHz for shiz n gigs back then

Tom sunday: 980 Ti is still perfectly fine for all 1080p use, or 1440p at lower settings. That extra 2GB makes all the difference in 2021