• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Qualcomm Extends the Leadership of its 7-Series with the Snapdragon 780G 5G Mobile Platform

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. announced the latest addition to its 7-series portfolio, the Qualcomm Snapdragon 780G 5G Mobile Platform. Snapdragon 780G is designed to deliver powerful AI performance and brilliant camera capture backed by the Qualcomm Spectra 570 triple ISP and 6th generation Qualcomm AI Engine, allowing users to capture, enhance, and share their favorite moments seamlessly. This platform enables a selection of premium-tier features for the first time in the 7-series, making next generation experiences more broadly accessible.

"Since introducing the Snapdragon 7-series three years ago, more than 350 devices have launched based on 7-series mobile platforms. Today, we are continuing this momentum by introducing the Snapdragon 780G 5G Mobile Platform," said Kedar Kondap, vice president, product management, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. "Snapdragon 780G was designed to bring in-demand, premium experiences to more users around the world."

Featuring the new Qualcomm Spectra 570, Snapdragon 780G is the first 7-series platform with a triple Image Signal Processor (ISP), capable of capturing from three cameras simultaneously. This feature delivers three different images captured by zoom, wide, and ultra-wide lenses at once. This platform also boasts new low light architecture powering professional quality photos in any lighting condition. Users can also shoot like a pro with HDR10+ video capturing over a billion shades of color. New 4K HDR with computational HDR capture provides dramatic improvements to color, contrast, and detail for brilliant photos.

Snapdragon 780G is powered by the 6th generation Qualcomm AI Engine with the Qualcomm Hexagon 770 processor delivering up to 12 TOPs AI performance, which is a 2x improvement compared to its predecessor. Now, virtually every connection, video call, and phone call are enhanced by AI to enable use cases like AI-based noise suppression and better AI-based voice assistant interactions. The platform is further enhanced by the 2nd generation Qualcomm Sensing Hub, which integrates a dedicated low-power AI processor for audio processing.

Snapdragon 780G comes fully optimized with a suite of select Qualcomm Snapdragon Elite Gaming features. With dozens of mobile-first features, the platform delivers desktop-level capabilities including updateable GPU drivers, ultra-smooth gaming, and True 10-bit HDR gaming. Snapdragon Elite Gaming is designed to help bring all the top AAA games to the hands of mobile gamers around the world, and with select features available on Snapdragon 780G, it will help enable next generation gaming to be more broadly accessible to OEMs and consumers.

Snapdragon 780G also features an optimized Snapdragon X53 5G Modem-RF System with peak download speeds of 3.3 Gbps on sub-6 GHz frequencies. This platform takes the premium Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth audio features offered on Snapdragon 888 to the 7-series, for the first time, including recently debuted Qualcomm Snapdragon Sound technology. By featuring the Qualcomm FastConnect 6900 Connectivity System, Snapdragon 780G supports unmatched multi-gigabit class Wi-Fi 6 speeds (up to 3.6 Gbps), VR-class low latency and robust capacity. Further, with Wi-Fi 6E support, Snapdragon 780G is capable of extending this advanced feature set to powerful 6 GHz spectrum as it gains momentum worldwide. Additionally, the Snapdragon Sound technology suite offers verification that Qualcomm Technologies' hallmark audio features and system-level optimizations are implemented to enable a redefined listening experience, end to end.

Commercial devices based on Snapdragon 780G are expected to be available in the second quarter of 2021. For full specifications on Snapdragon 780G, visit https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon-780g-5g-mobile-platform.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Red Babe
Processor i7 2700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximous IV
Cooling Custom Water Cooling
Memory 16GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 679 DCII
Storage 1TB Black 1TB Green 120GB GT SSD
Display(s) ASUS PB278Q
Case Obsidian 800D
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Z
Power Supply Enermax MODU87+ 900W
Software Ubuntu + Windows 7
At this point, the difference between the snapdragon 8 and 7 series becomes too narrow. I don't get why should someone chose the 888.
Phones with the latest 780G at around 500$ should pack everything anyone needs.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
At this point, the difference between the snapdragon 8 and 7 series becomes too narrow. I don't get why should someone chose the 888.
Phones with the latest 780G at around 500$ should pack everything anyone needs.
This chip doesn't have mmWave 5G, if that's your cup of tea. But yeah, it seems like a decent chip overall.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
deliver powerful AI performance and brilliant camera capture

How many megapixel improvement since the last release?

This chip doesn't have mmWave 5G, if that's your cup of tea. But yeah, it seems like a decent chip overall.
mmWave 5G, not coming to a region near you any time soon. I couldn't care less if the 780 didn't have any 5G at all, where I live it's 2-3 years before we even get a roll out.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
How many megapixel improvement since the last release?
It's more about their zero shutter lag and that it can use three cameras at one time now, not that I think I've ever seen anyone implement that.

mmWave 5G, not coming to a region near you any time soon. I couldn't care less if the 780 didn't have any 5G at all, where I live it's 2-3 years before we even get a roll out.
And some people think it'll kill you so...