• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Announces 10 nm Third Gen Xeon Scalable Processors "Ice Lake"

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Lets end that discussion now.

I see the racist tones in it as well, but its going to end in fighting so lets stop it now.

Nothing to do with race, it's all about cybersecurity for the US Government.
It's also about the US making sure it controls its chip supply chain .. auto industry, computers, electronics in general, etc ...

Lets end that discussion now.

I see the racist tones in it as well, but its going to end in fighting so lets stop it now.
:wtf:

Last edited:
Intel says 4TBs of RAM supported, which is greater-than-or-equal to EPYC (4TB single socket, 4TB dual-socket) and above Cascade Lake (3TB per socket). On a 8x socket Platinum system, this would support 32TBs of RAM.

That doesn't... seem small to me at all?
8 CPU*512 per CPU see a tables is 4TB yes. There is written 512GB per CPU not per DIMM(module).

8 CPU*512 per CPU see a tables is 4TB yes. There is written 512GB per CPU not per DIMM(module).

24TBs of RAM on a last-generation Cascade Lake 8-way socket product. Xeon Platinums are for BIG systems. You don't go 8-socket unless you're going super-super big.

No it won't because Ice Lake SP is limited to 2S configurations.

On the other hand, this here seems like I've made a mistake. At only 2S, these chips will never go into a 8-way SuperServer. So 4TBs I guess max (typically anyway).

Now that's odd: for Intel to only target 1S and 2S with this technology. You'd think that Intel would push their higher-margin 8-socket designs, which scale more vertically than AMD systems can and therefore fills a niche that AMD doesn't even attempt to tackle. Or maybe Intel knows that they're the only one with any game there, so there's no point even upgrading it to Ice Lake?

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
What table are you looking at?
Old Cooper Lake Xeons support up to 1.12TB (H models) or 4.5TB (HL models).
Ice Lake Xeons support up to 6TB.

Old Cooper Lake Xeons support up to 1.12TB (H models) or 4.5TB (HL models).
Ice Lake Xeons support up to 6TB.

This^^

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
It's also about the US making sure it controls its chip supply chain .. auto industry, computers, electronics in general, etc ...
Except they never did and never will, and if and when they do, they have products they can't sell internationally, because they're simply not competitive.

US cars are generally considered not fantastic elsewhere in the world, its a good example of how that works. Its a rare occurrence seeing one over here for obvious reasons. Too heavy, too costly, and generally not of great quality, while the unique selling points don't really work outside the US.

If money is no object, the US can make fantastic things. If it has to be competitive in the global market though? There really isn't much export that successful, except for digital services and fintech - and let's not begin to unravel those cesspools to see where the value really comes from. The rest? Base resources to make things ;) Hardly high tech.

My point: the global market is a fantastic thing, even if the current state of it is one of bad balance. It leads to overall better product and more/fair competition. And more importantly, as long as you need each other for trade, you're not shooting.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to see how the Intel 6346 compares to the AMD 5950X as a workstation.

Doing workstation type tasks.

ie. Rendering, Music Production, Numerical Optimization.

Sure games are fun, but a review that is focused on work would be useful.

LoL Xeon vs normal mainstream part :D
It would be interesting to see how the Intel 6346 compares to the AMD 5950X as a workstation
Edit: almost £2000 pre-order :D
What is best price of Ryzen 9 5950X?

Last edited:
System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
Except they never did and never will, and if and when they do, they have products they can't sell internationally, because they're simply not competitive.

US cars are generally considered not fantastic elsewhere in the world, its a good example of how that works. Its a rare occurrence seeing one over here for obvious reasons. Too heavy, too costly, and generally not of great quality, while the unique selling points don't really work outside the US.

If money is no object, the US can make fantastic things. If it has to be competitive in the global market though? There really isn't much export that successful, except for digital services and fintech - and let's not begin to unravel those cesspools to see where the value really comes from. The rest? Base resources to make things ;) Hardly high tech.

My point: the global market is a fantastic thing, even if the current state of it is one of bad balance. It leads to overall better product and more/fair competition. And more importantly, as long as you need each other for trade, you're not shooting.
The US logically wants to look after its own interest such as our auto and heavy machinery industry that employees thousands of Americans. National defense is another issue when the microchip industry plays a large part. Its in our best interest if we control our supply chain in that regard hence the reason for the new microchip foundries in the works here.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
It would be interesting to see how the Intel 6346 compares to the AMD 5950X as a workstation.

Doing workstation type tasks.

ie. Rendering, Music Production, Numerical Optimization.

Sure games are fun, but a review that is focused on work would be useful.
You are comparing a server CPU to a consumer CPU, neither are "workstation CPUs".
5950X will do a good job performance wise, as long as you are not bottlenecked by memory bandwidth or other IO. But it will not offer the stability of a Xeon. I would advice waiting for the Xeon W lineup, which has much higher clock speeds and probably different pricing.

AMD CPUs are not sold out for... hold on, at least 2 months by now.
That may be varying from region to region. In my country only 5800X has been in stock.

You are comparing a server CPU to a consumer CPU, neither are "workstation CPUs".
5950X will do a good job performance wise, as long as you are not bottlenecked by memory bandwidth or other IO. But it will not offer the stability of a Xeon. I would advice waiting for the Xeon W lineup, which has much higher clock speeds and probably different pricing.

That may be varying from region to region. In my country only 5800X has been in stock.
If you want a 5950X today, it could cost up to $1500.

The W line up will probably cost more .

I used to use xeons, 2687w sandy bridge was the last one. Since the it has been i9's.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
If you want a 5950X today, it could cost up to $1500.

The W line up will probably cost more .

I used to use xeons, 2687w sandy bridge was the last one. Since the it has been i9's.
Pricing of the Ice Lake Xeon W series is not known yet, but looking at the old Cascade Lake can give us some idea; Xeon W-2295 (18c) $1333, Xeon W-3245 (16c) $2000.

Workstations are (or should be) built for a specific purpose. Aggregated performance is irrelevant, what you want to do is looking at benchmarks relevant for the real world tasks you will be performing. Pay extra attention to how the workloads scale with increasing core count, having additional cores beyond that is pointless. Also notice whether the workloads are CPU or IO bound.

The AM4 lineup has several aspects to consider for "semi-pro" or pro users. Ryzen 9 5950X (and to some extent 5900X) are often "pointless" for real world uses, as there are very few real world workloads scaling well beyond 6-8 cores, especially without more memory channels. They are more relevant for benchmarking than anything else, and would have made so much more sense as Threadrippers. There may be a few exceptions, such as rendering, so you might want to look into that. Another issue is that we are still waiting for AMD to finally create stable firmware, 5 months in...
Additionally, there is IO and expansion (This also applies to LGA1200), particularly your storage needs. Especially with M.2 drives, most workstations probably needs space for at least two of these. Then probably some hard drives. With AM4 and LGA1200 you need to read the fine print in the motherboard manuals about which combinations of PCIe/M.2 slots and SATA ports is possible, there are usually compromises there. I also prefer to have a free PCIe 4x slot for future 10G networking etc.

Reliability is always a tough one. People don't need expensive Xeons for gaming, but for a serious workstation it should at least be a consideration.