• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS CMP 30HX Mining Card Spotted with RGB Lighting

System Name Main PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)
Cooling EKWB X570 VIII Hero Monoblock, 2x XD5, Heatkiller IV SB block for chipset,Alphacool 3090 Strix block
Memory 4x16GB 3200-14-14-14-34 G.Skill Trident RGB (OC: 3600-14-14-14-28)
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3090 Strix OC
Storage 500GB+500GB SSD RAID0, Fusion IoDrive2 1.2TB, Huawei HSSD 2TB, 11TB on server used for steam
Display(s) Dell LG CX48 (custom res: 3840x1620@120Hz) + Acer XB271HU 2560x1440@144Hz
Case Corsair 1000D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD599, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK2
Software Windows 10 Pro 20H2
Instead, they will simply be e-waste, and nvidia will never have to worry about their profits.

One of my friends wants to upgrade his 1060 6 GB. He would give an arm for even a 2060. My brother is stuck with a 960 and has a limited budget for PC parts. Not everybody wants the latest and greatest.

No.
That's not CMP. Those previous cards were just rebranded gaming cards.
To quote NVIDIA directly: "CMP products — which don’t do graphics — are sold through authorized partners and optimized for the best mining performance and efficiency. They don’t meet the specifications required of a GeForce GPU and, thus, don’t impact the availability of GeForce GPUs to gamers."
Source: https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2021/02/18/geforce-cmp/

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
That's not CMP. Those previous cards were just rebranded gaming cards.
To quote NVIDIA directly: "CMP products — which don’t do graphics — are sold through authorized partners and optimized for the best mining performance and efficiency. They don’t meet the specifications required of a GeForce GPU and, thus, don’t impact the availability of GeForce GPUs to gamers."
I would very much like to believe it - and see it tested.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI MPG X570S Carbon Max Wifi
Cooling CPU: bequiet! Dark Rock 4. Case fans: 2x bequiet Silent Wings 3 140s, 2x Silent Wings 3 120s
Memory 2 x 8 GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-4400 C19
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT
Storage 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E M.2, 1 TB SK Hynix P31 M.2, 1 TB Inland Professional, 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG271CQR 1440p 144Hz, MSI Optix MAG241C 1080p 144Hz
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP9500, V-Moda BoomPro, Sybasonic Better Connectivity USB DAC/Amp
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 80+ Gold 750W
Mouse Glorious Model D Wireless
Keyboard Custom Qwertykeys Navy QK80: Sarokeys Strawberry Wine switches, GMK CYL DMG3 keycaps
Because we can always take the corporations for their word right? :rolleyes:

Even if Nvidia is being honest about CMP cards only using defective dies, that doesn't mean it doesn't affect the supply of GeForce cards. Sure, if the dies were already defective and couldn't be used for gaming cards anyway, go right ahead, slap em on there. But what about the rest of the components used to make the card? The PCB, mosfets, capacitors, etc. could all be put towards gaming cards instead. The raw material shortages that are going on as well play a role too.

What about the supply chain side of things? Between pandemic and Evergreen-related supply chain delays and increased costs, it's more expensive and more difficult for AIB partners to secure cargo space. Cargo space that is used to ship CMP cards to retailers means it's not being used to ship gaming cards to retailers. Sure, it's not the case of "this container has CMP cards and therefore can only have CMP cards", I'm sure shipments don't have to be homogenous, but any pallet of CMP cards using cargo space is cargo space that isn't used by a pallet of gaming cards.

Then there's the resale side of things. No video outputs means no resale value to gamers once the miners are done with them, so they just get used until they die or tossed out when the miner is done mining.

Nvidia is out to make money. No matter what they say, they don't care about you or I, the miners, or the gamers. Their prerogative is to pad their wallets as best they can. They know that any card, whether it be a gaming card or a mining card, will sell like hotcakes. It's not like miners say "Ok, I've got my 6 cards, now I don't need any more". These cards are moneymakers for them, and they're going to buy whatever they can to increase their profitability as well. Producing CMP cards is Nvidia's way of continuing to turn a profit (because anything will sell), while also putting up the façade that they "care about gamers" for better PR, and while also ensuring the used market won't be oversaturated with used cards gamers can buy on the cheap - forcing them to buy new cards at full price.

The only practical reason I think they would add RGB to a CMP is to visually identify if a GPU went off among the hundreds of cards that a facilty operates.

Because we can always take the corporations for their word right? :rolleyes:

Even if Nvidia is being honest about CMP cards only using defective dies, that doesn't mean it doesn't affect the supply of GeForce cards. Sure, if the dies were already defective and couldn't be used for gaming cards anyway, go right ahead, slap em on there. But what about the rest of the components used to make the card? The PCB, mosfets, capacitors, etc. could all be put towards gaming cards instead. The raw material shortages that are going on as well play a role too.

What about the supply chain side of things? Between pandemic and Evergreen-related supply chain delays and increased costs, it's more expensive and more difficult for AIB partners to secure cargo space. Cargo space that is used to ship CMP cards to retailers means it's not being used to ship gaming cards to retailers. Sure, it's not the case of "this container has CMP cards and therefore can only have CMP cards", I'm sure shipments don't have to be homogenous, but any pallet of CMP cards using cargo space is cargo space that isn't used by a pallet of gaming cards.

Then there's the resale side of things. No video outputs means no resale value to gamers once the miners are done with them, so they just get used until they die or tossed out when the miner is done mining.

Nvidia is out to make money. No matter what they say, they don't care about you or I, the miners, or the gamers. Their prerogative is to pad their wallets as best they can. They know that any card, whether it be a gaming card or a mining card, will sell like hotcakes. It's not like miners say "Ok, I've got my 6 cards, now I don't need any more". These cards are moneymakers for them, and they're going to buy whatever they can to increase their profitability as well. Producing CMP cards is Nvidia's way of continuing to turn a profit (because anything will sell), while also putting up the façade that they "care about gamers" for better PR, and while also ensuring the used market won't be oversaturated with used cards gamers can buy on the cheap - forcing them to buy new cards at full price.
They lied, and they still do, they can go bankrupt and I would care less, the current economy is merely teaching me how to live without their provided luxury and I'm losing sight of these companies.