• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony Ships 7.8 Million PS5 Consoles Since Launch, Beating the PS4

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Sony has announced that it has shipped 7.8 million PS5 consoles since the release of their latest generation gaming system on November 12th. These 7.8 million consoles were sold at the tune of 4.5 million consoles in 2020 (remember that 2020 only starts in November 12th for this matter), and the remaining 3.3 million units were shipped in the three first months of 2021. This places PS5 launch sales higher than PS4's (and obviously higher than the ill-fated release of the PS3). You might think there's a decrease in momentum in sales, but part of that lower average monthly console sales likely comes from the fact that Sony had more PS5 stock at launch (in a veritable stockpile) than the current production output is capable of processing on a monthly basis.

Sony also announced that they have increased the number of PS Plus subscribers to 47.6 million, up 14.7 percent YoY. These numbers mean that Sony too had a very significant first quarter, and great YoY growth. The company announced that its Game & Network Services segment, which includes its PlayStation business, broke revenue ($25.03 billion) and operating profit ($3.22 billion) records for the 2020 financial year. Just keep those PS5 rolling off the presses, Sony. There's much more money to be made here, and many more consumers to make happy.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Sony made a mistake not charging $599 a console... inflation does exist Sony... that's the reason gas cost 85 cents a gallon when I was a born and now costs 3 ish a gallon... its normal for prices to increase. Not sure why companies and more generally, people don't understand this.

Sony could provide a better experience (a controller that doesn't need replaced after 417 hours of use for one thing)

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Sony made a mistake not charging $599 a console... inflation does exist Sony... that's the reason gas cost 85 cents a gallon when I was a born and now costs 3 ish a gallon... its normal for prices to increase. Not sure why companies and more generally, people don't understand this.

Sony could provide a better experience (a controller that doesn't need replaced after 417 hours of use for one thing)

Man, fuel is so cheap in the US.

However, consumer electronics and computers have gone the other way, everything has almost consistently gotten cheaper, up until now, since companies screwed up their long term orders because of the pandemic, which in turn is starting to show as some components are already 3x the price they were last year.

System Name Poor Man's PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7500F
Motherboard MSI B650M Mortar WiFi
Cooling ID Cooling SE 206 XT
Memory 32GB GSkill Flare X5 DDR5 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6800 XT
Storage XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2TB + 8 TB WD Ultrastar DC HC320
Display(s) Mi Gaming Curved 3440x1440 144Hz
Case Cougar MG120-G
Audio Device(s) MPow Air Wireless + Mi Soundbar
Power Supply Enermax Revolution DF 650W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 3
Keyboard Logitech Pro X + Kailh box heavy pale blue switch + Durock stabilizers
VR HMD Meta Quest 2
Benchmark Scores Who need bench when everything already fast?
That's great considering there's only small amount PS5 games to play with.

Space Lynx

Astronaut

However, consumer electronics and computers have gone the other way, everything has almost consistently gotten cheaper, up until now, since companies screwed up their long term orders because of the pandemic, which in turn is starting to show as some components are already 3x the price they were last year.

it'd be even cheaper if the Democrats did not stop the oil pipeline from Canada. I'm all for the green movement. but until you have that infrastructure in place and ready to go for every one - stop hurting poor people (poor people have to pay for gas too)... eh.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
it'd be even cheaper if the Democrats did not stop the oil pipeline from Canada. I'm all for the green movement. but until you have that infrastructure in place and ready to go for every one - stop hurting poor people (poor people have to pay for gas too)... eh.
Well, it would also have helped if most major cities in the US had developed proper public transport. I guess that's sort of slowly happening now though. But that's kind of a different discussion.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro

So? It's been 3ish a gallon for 20 years. Hardware is not their income stream, and their income is directly related to how many console they have in the wild. Console price is whatever they find to be an acceptable break even point.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

My nearest gas station charges £1.20 per Litre of gas so that roughly works out at $7.51 per gallon if my math/conversion serves me correctly.

I say £1.20 per litre but we usually fill up for £1.10-1.14. £1.20 represents the upper end of the scale that we try to avoid at all cost. Which means that our tank never runs low because we stop and fill up where we can find the cheapest prices when out on the road.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
My nearest gas station charges £1.20 per Litre of gas so that roughly works out at $7.51 per gallon if my math/conversion serves me correctly.

I say £1.20 per litre but we usually fill up for £1.10-1.14. £1.20 represents the upper end of the scale that we try to avoid at all cost. Which means that our tank never runs low because we stop and fill up where we can find the cheapest prices when out on the road.
Well, thanks to the pandemic, fuel prices went down quite a bit last year. Over a quid a litre is crazy. I used to drive from SE London to the Bracknell area for work for a couple of years, it was costing a lot of money even back then...

Just worked out what the first computer my dad bough "for me" back in 1992 would cost in today's money and it came to $4,370.
That was a Mitac 386SX-16 with 2MB of RAM, 256kB of graphics memory, a 40MB hard drive, a 3.5" FDD and a 14" CRT monitor, as well as a laser printer.
A Raspberry Pi would outperform that quite easily these days, for $35... Although I guess it would be more like $50 with a housing a power adapter.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Omg, that is a metric ton of units in less than six month.

Who'd have thought launching a new console in to a pandemic where loads of people were forced to stay home and got given $$$ by the government would result in record sales...? Shocker

Gas cost $4 a gallon when the PS3 was released. In fact, due to fracking, gas prices have declined in the past 10 years. I remember when gas was well above $4, but I filled up my car for unleaded regular at like $2.80 just last night.

Not that you're wrong per se. Its more like you chose a very bad example. Gas / energy prices are down severely in recent years, not only because of the Fracking boom, but also because COVID19 forced large segments of the population to stay home (so airports didn't use as much gas / fewer car trips / etc. etc.). Natural gas has made electricity cheaper, and even solar / wind has contributed to declining electricity prices. Really bad example to choose, lol. Of all the categories of goods to talk about: energy prices are getting cheaper and cheaper.

System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus PRIME B350M-A
Cooling Wraith Stealth Cooler, 4x140mm Noctua NF-A14 FLX 1200RPM Case Fans
Memory Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) CMK16GX4M2A2400C14R DDR4 2400MHz Vengeance LPX DIMM
Video Card(s) GTX 1050 2GB (for now) 3060 12GB on order
Storage Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, Lots of HDD storage
Display(s) 32 inch 4K LG, 55 & 48 inch LG OLED, 40 inch Panasonic LED LCD
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Sound: LG Monitor Built-in speakers (currently), Mike: Marantz MaZ
Power Supply Corsair CS550M 550W ATX Power Supply, 80+ Gold Certified, Semi-Modular Design
Mouse Logitech M280
Keyboard Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750R (works best in summer)
VR HMD none
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64bit OEM, Captur 1 21
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20: 3508 (WIP)
I am glad for Sony. PS5 ought to be a smash hit. The fly in the ointment is that it is in Australia it is nigh impossible to get one. My nephew has had one on order since the PS5 was announced. The console did NOT arrive in February as promised. I would love to have one myself but I am not holding my breath for GT7 to be released. Note to Sony: ramp up production. Sell to real people not to bots. When these consoles start being used for mining, then it is game over (pun intended).

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
That is a lot of systems for no games.

Well, Returnal looks good. I think that is about it.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
That is a lot of systems for no games.

Well, Returnal looks good. I think that is about it.

Imagine if they charged $599 and invested in more launch titles with the extra profit? lol

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
Imagine if they charged $599 and invested in more launch titles with the extra profit? lol

I am going to say something very unpopular around here - I don't care for most of Sony's titles in the past while. Last of Us 1 was good. 2 was not really all good and I of course was no fan of the story. God Of War was meh. Horizon Zero Dawn was Meh. Actually, to be honest, all the games feel exactly the same to me. Then again, only titles I enjoy these days are old school style RPG's like Dragons Quest, Octopath Traveler, and the like.

I do enjoy the nintendo switch though. Mostly because I play it with my kids and some of the games, while simple, are fun and cute.

I would though like to play the new Crash Bandicoot. I had a lot of fun with the old titles back in the day.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Erm......wait a second here.

Sony said they were planning to produce 15 million consoles by the end of 2020, then backtracked that to 11 million....

THEN it went to 10 million by the end of 2020

Now it's "they've sold a whopping 7.8 million" and it's amazing demand? These companies are just plain making up numbers here.

Well, it would also have helped if most major cities in the US had developed proper public transport. I guess that's sort of slowly happening now though. But that's kind of a different discussion.
Well they'd rather spend that money on not fixing the roads or dealing with nusiance properties. It takes a lot of money to not fix things.
I am going to say something very unpopular around here - I don't care for most of Sony's titles in the past while. Last of Us 1 was good. 2 was not really all good and I of course was no fan of the story. God Of War was meh. Horizon Zero Dawn was Meh. Actually, to be honest, all the games feel exactly the same to me. Then again, only titles I enjoy these days are old school style RPG's like Dragons Quest, Octopath Traveler, and the like.

I do enjoy the nintendo switch though. Mostly because I play it with my kids and some of the games, while simple, are fun and cute.

I would though like to play the new Crash Bandicoot. I had a lot of fun with the old titles back in the day.
The PS4 generation sucked. I was a huge sony fanboy with the PS2 and PS3, both had amazing first party lineups. The PS4 had almost nothing. They all felt the same because they were all "action adventure" games that played it perfectly safe and pumping out visuals to make up for it.

Sony has shut down a lot of game studios over the last decade, and its shows. And with HZD and ace combat on PC the only reason to buy a playstation to me is rathet and clank, and short of a PS2 style 6 game lineup on a single console I'm not buying a PS5 for that.
Gas cost $4 a gallon when the PS3 was released. In fact, due to fracking, gas prices have declined in the past 10 years. I remember when gas was well above $4, but I filled up my car for unleaded regular at like $2.80 just last night.

Not that you're wrong per se. Its more like you chose a very bad example. Gas / energy prices are down severely in recent years, not only because of the Fracking boom, but also because COVID19 forced large segments of the population to stay home (so airports didn't use as much gas / fewer car trips / etc. etc.). Natural gas has made electricity cheaper, and even solar / wind has contributed to declining electricity prices. Really bad example to choose, lol. Of all the categories of goods to talk about: energy prices are getting cheaper and cheaper.
It also depends on where you are looking, places like california have been edging close to $5 a gallon yet again, while here in the midwest gas prices are barely over $2.50 a gallon.

Erm......wait a second here.

Sony said they were planning to produce 15 million consoles by the end of 2020, then backtracked that to 11 million....

THEN it went to 10 million by the end of 2020

Now it's "they've sold a whopping 7.8 million" and it's amazing demand? These companies are just plain making up numbers here.

Well they'd rather spend that money on not fixing the roads or dealing with nusiance properties. It takes a lot of money to not fix things.

The PS4 generation sucked. I was a huge sony fanboy with the PS2 and PS3, both had amazing first party lineups. The PS4 had almost nothing. They all felt the same because they were all "action adventure" games that played it perfectly safe and pumping out visuals to make up for it.

Sony has shut down a lot of game studios over the last decade, and its shows. And with HZD and ace combat on PC the only reason to buy a playstation to me is rathet and clank, and short of a PS2 style 6 game lineup on a single console I'm not buying a PS5 for that.

It also depends on where you are looking, places like california have been edging close to $5 a gallon yet again, while here in the midwest gas prices are barely over $2.50 a gallon.
Look carefully at those reports. None list actual Sony statements, just those from anonymous 'sources', which mean they can be complete BS to drive the clickbait machine. Can you link to an actual Sony released statement where they have provided a production target for PS5?

The New England region of the United States
System Name Daily Driver(gaming, browsing)
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aurus Pro Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black
Memory 32GB(2x16GB) Patriot Viper DDR4-3200C16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Boot/OS)|Hynix Platinum P41 2TB (Games)|Kingston KC3000 2TB (Misc)
Display(s) Gigabyte G27F
Case Corsair Graphite 600T w/mesh side
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 2.1 | cheapo gaming headset when mic is needed
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Redragon M808-KS Storm Pro (Great Value)
Keyboard Redragon K512 Shiva replaced a Corsair K70 Lux - Blue on Black
VR HMD Nope
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Nope
I am glad for Sony. PS5 ought to be a smash hit. The fly in the ointment is that it is in Australia it is nigh impossible to get one. My nephew has had one on order since the PS5 was announced. The console did NOT arrive in February as promised. I would love to have one myself but I am not holding my breath for GT7 to be released. Note to Sony: ramp up production. Sell to real people not to bots. When these consoles start being used for mining, then it is game over (pun intended).

It isn't just Australia. I live in the land of cheap gas and cheap food. You can't buy a PS5 here unless you know someone working at a retailer selling them or you get REALLY lucky! I know zero people who own a PS5 and one person who owns an Xbox series X. That's an awful lot of sold consoles for something you can't buy.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
It also depends on where you are looking, places like california have been edging close to $5 a gallon yet again.

The state has to avoid going bankrupt somehow.

System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
Software Windows 11 Professional x64 (Update 23H2)
7.8 million units? So where are the 7 million units go to? In the hands of scalpers? :roll:

System Name Bruh
Processor 10700K 5.3Ghz 1.35v| i7 7920HQ 3.6Ghz -180Mv |
Motherboard Z490 TUF Wifi | Apple QMS180 |
Cooling EVGA 360MM | Laptop HS |
Memory DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | LPDDR3 16GB 2133Mhz CL20 |
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix 3080 (2100Mhz/18Ghz)|Radeon Pro 560 (1150Mhz/1655Mhz)|
Storage Many SSDs, ~24TB HDD/8TB SSD
Display(s) S2719DGF, HP Z27i, Z24n| 1800P 15.4" + ZR30W + iPad Pro 10.5 2017
Case NR600 | MBP 2017 15" Silver | MSI GE62VR | Elite 120 Advanced
Audio Device(s) Lol imagine caring about audio
Power Supply 850GQ | Apple 87W USB-C |
Mouse Whatever I have on hand + trackpads (Lanchead TE)
Keyboard HyperX Origins Alloy idk
Software W10 20H2|W10 1903 LTSC/MacOS 11
Benchmark Scores No.

$3? Lol I wish

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
With those price increases on the GPU market and with that below-the-cost price Sony sells PS5, it was sure to go like that.

Processor 5800x3D
Motherboard x570 Extreme 4
Cooling Deepcool AK620 Digital
Memory 2x16 Crucial 3200 Mhz
Video Card(s) 4070 SUPER FE
Storage 500 GB WD SN750 / 870 Evo 500 GB / Kingston 480 GB SSD
Display(s) Alienware 34 aw3418dw / ROG Swift pg27q
Case Corsair 3000D
Power Supply Seasonic V3 1000w
Mouse Model O
Keyboard GMMK Pro w/ SP Magic Girls
Software WIndows 10 Pro
Omg, that is a metric ton of units in less than six month.
Just for fun....Disc version is 9.9 lbs and digital is 8.6 lbs. Say it's 50/50 on disc to digital editions sold that works out to approximately 32,727 metric tons of units in six months. So just a little off. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar Max
Cooling Hyper 212
Memory 2x 16g ddr4 3200mz
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Storage 5.5 tb hd 220 g ssd
Display(s) Normal moniter
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
That's great considering there's only small amount PS5 games to play with.
their is legit nothing exlusvie to the ps5
its funny af