• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Silently Relaunching RTX 30-series with "Lite Hash Rate" Silicon Edition

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Wish I lived nearby you so I could help out. Always hard to guide over text.

I assume if you take it apart, you won't void your warranty? If not, then replacing the thermalpades with something like thermalright stuff, and some Noctua thermal paste should help greatly.

Yeah, I don't have a warranty so pulling the cooler off is no big deal. I am going to do the backplate thermal pads and see what happens. If have to pull the heatsink, a block is going back on it. A block is going on it eventually. I just don't want to do it right now because reasons.

Processor i7-4790K 4.6GHz @1.29v
Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VII Z97
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory G. Skill Trident X 2x8GB 2133MHz
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf RTX 3060 V1 FHR (Newegg Shuffle)
Storage OS 120GB Kingston V300, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB , 3TB Hitachi HDD, 2x5TB Toshiba X300, 500GB M.2 @ x2
Display(s) Lenovo y27g 1080p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) AKG Q701's w/ O2+ODAC (Sounds a little bright)
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 850w
Mouse Glorious Model D
Keyboard Rosewill Full Size. Red Switches. Blue Leds. RK-9100xBRE - Hate this. way to big
Software Win10
Benchmark Scores 3DMark FireStrike Score : needs updating
Consumers didn't "want" this...

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Where are all the people knocking on the AMD 6900XT for having artificial limits because there is an XTH version...these sure feel like artificial limits.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
Yeah, I don't have a warranty so pulling the cooler off is no big deal. I am going to do the backplate thermal pads and see what happens. If have to pull the heatsink, a block is going back on it. A block is going on it eventually. I just don't want to do it right now because reasons.
I wish you all the best luck with the card. And please let me know what happens.

System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus PRIME B350M-A
Cooling Wraith Stealth Cooler, 4x140mm Noctua NF-A14 FLX 1200RPM Case Fans
Memory Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) CMK16GX4M2A2400C14R DDR4 2400MHz Vengeance LPX DIMM
Video Card(s) GTX 1050 2GB (for now) 3060 12GB on order
Storage Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, Lots of HDD storage
Display(s) 32 inch 4K LG, 55 & 48 inch LG OLED, 40 inch Panasonic LED LCD
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Sound: LG Monitor Built-in speakers (currently), Mike: Marantz MaZ
Power Supply Corsair CS550M 550W ATX Power Supply, 80+ Gold Certified, Semi-Modular Design
Mouse Logitech M280
Keyboard Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750R (works best in summer)
VR HMD none
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64bit OEM, Captur 1 21
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20: 3508 (WIP)
vote for number 4. but i do hope nvidia keep doing this even if they are going to fail with this attempt.

nah even if nvidia do that people will still going to complain. "why 4GB in 2021? nvidia is greedy to not give at least 8GB on their low end".

need the compute raw power? just buy those A4000 or A6000.
RTX A6000 is $8500 AUD. One would REALLY 'need the compute raw power'?

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
It wasn't hacked before so it can't be hacked again. It'd be the first time.
It didn't matter before, and it won't matter this time either in any way.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Nice. I think it is a good attempt to segment the market.

True, but they shouldn't bother. AMD have clearly just focused on banging out their most expensive 6900XT cards, and as these threads show, Nvidia are damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

Nvidia should cash in, like everyone else... which they clearly are. Good on them!

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Nvidia should cash in, like everyone else... which they clearly are. Good on them!
Absolutely but it would be better if they just pretended to limit hash.

It all depends what you have the card in (airflow and alike). Try undervolting it in wattman as well, may overall help.

My friend has a 3080 and gets overheating issues with certain titles.

I actually had to put a stop to building customers PC's due to lack of GPU's. Miners are part of the problem, but there are shortages of PS5's as well. Shortages of 6700, 6800 and 6900 cards and I can tell you, they aren't all that great for mining either (can't mine on PS5 as far as I'm aware).

Then there are mining farms where they get something like dozens upon dozens of GPU's and in each case, the answer they give when people ask "how you get those cards?" Is: "friend works in the retail field so he gives me heads up or allows me to pre order from him".

A very crooked market everything is. Scalpers, insiders, etc.
Yeah, after I told the one builder the specs of my proposed system, he immediately told me flat out that it might not be possible due to the 3090 GPU itself and that the A6000 may be hard to get as well.
Miners see easy money so they jump on the bandwagon, "influential" dickheads adding to the overhype on social media, ass grabbery in the supply chain... Sounds like a mixed bag of nuts.

It just doesn't make any sense to me, hence one of the reasons I frown upon crypto since the sole purpose behind it all is to generate money via mining by burning electricity to solve a blockchain puzzle... Now if this were tied into something like Folding@Home or similar scientific purpose, it would make sense.
Maybe I just have a warped perception vs others, but it seems to me that despite the increase in knowledge & technology, there's an apparent noticeable decline in wisdom with an influx of stupidity.

alan242

Nice. I think it is a good attempt to segment the market.
I fully expect nvidia to pull a Broadcom and sell a aftermarket key to unlock the limiter. (Broadcom sells feature unlocks for some Raspberry Pi chip features that are not automatically enabled.)

VEGGIM

Agreed. RT is useless.
Not sure if you know this but. Ray tracing in games isn't the only thing to use tensor cores you know. Anything AI based will use tensor cores. Some animation companies and some personal artists use rtx cards for these reasons. Even things like machine learning. Take away the tensor cors, you kill everything that uses tensor cores entirely like machine learning. and do you think nvidia is going to make artist only gpu's. No, they make drivers for creating, but they don't change the hardware. Do you want to destroy others who use tensor cors and ray tracing for creators for muh gaming? Think about that for a second.

Not sure if you know this but. Ray tracing in games isn't the only thing to use tensor cores you know. Anything AI based will use tensor cores. Some animation companies and some personal artists use rtx cards for these reasons. Even things like machine learning. Take away the tensor cors, you kill everything that uses tensor cores entirely like machine learning. and do you think nvidia is going to make artist only gpu's. No, they make drivers for creating, but they don't change the hardware. Do you want to destroy others who use tensor cors and ray tracing for creators for muh gaming? Think about that for a second.

yes. save all that bloat for quadro. lean and mean gaming gpu for me.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I fully expect nvidia to pull a Broadcom and sell a aftermarket key to unlock the limiter. (Broadcom sells feature unlocks for some Raspberry Pi chip features that are not automatically enabled.)
Just as Tesla do also.

Low quality post by VEGGIM

VEGGIM

yes. save all that bloat for quadro. lean and mean gaming gpu for me.
No one is going to buy a 5000-10000 dollar card just for art purposes. That is the stupidest reasoning I've ever heard. Please don't work at nvidia, you would tank it to the ground. Gpu are graphic processing units not gaming processing units. They can be used for anything that involves graphics not just gaming. Your entitlement and gatekeeping attitude makes me think you're a child.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
I frown upon crypto since the sole purpose behind it all is to generate money via mining by burning electricity to solve a blockchain puzzle..

The problem is this is the narrow minded way of looking at it. Mining is supporting the blockchain which is supporting a currency not controlled by some dickhead on Wall St or other corrupt St. Mining is more than profits. That's like saying Hollywood hacking is real.

System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus PRIME B350M-A
Cooling Wraith Stealth Cooler, 4x140mm Noctua NF-A14 FLX 1200RPM Case Fans
Memory Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) CMK16GX4M2A2400C14R DDR4 2400MHz Vengeance LPX DIMM
Video Card(s) GTX 1050 2GB (for now) 3060 12GB on order
Storage Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, Lots of HDD storage
Display(s) 32 inch 4K LG, 55 & 48 inch LG OLED, 40 inch Panasonic LED LCD
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Sound: LG Monitor Built-in speakers (currently), Mike: Marantz MaZ
Power Supply Corsair CS550M 550W ATX Power Supply, 80+ Gold Certified, Semi-Modular Design
Mouse Logitech M280
Keyboard Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750R (works best in summer)
VR HMD none
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64bit OEM, Captur 1 21
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20: 3508 (WIP)
Yeah, after I told the one builder the specs of my proposed system, he immediately told me flat out that it might not be possible due to the 3090 GPU itself and that the A6000 may be hard to get as well.
Miners see easy money so they jump on the bandwagon, "influential" dickheads adding to the overhype on social media, ass grabbery in the supply chain... Sounds like a mixed bag of nuts.

It just doesn't make any sense to me, hence one of the reasons I frown upon crypto since the sole purpose behind it all is to generate money via mining by burning electricity to solve a blockchain puzzle... Now if this were tied into something like Folding@Home or similar scientific purpose, it would make sense.
Maybe I just have a warped perception vs others, but it seems to me that despite the increase in knowledge & technology, there's an apparent noticeable decline in wisdom with an influx of stupidity.
I totally agree with the above in bold. I am afraid that means you and I both are really smart or we 'have a warped perception vs others'. I am going with the former.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI)
Cooling Corsair iCUE H115i Elite Capellix 280mm
Memory 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3600Mhz CL18
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3070 Ti TUF Gaming OC Edition
Storage Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF
Case Corsair iCUE 4000X
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D2X
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Platinum
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 - Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K70 MK.2 Low-Profile Rapidfire
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro (64-bit)

There is only one Crypto that does this, Banano.

It's a joke coin much like DOGE; I applaud their efforts in making it folding@home, solving real-world issues, it's the only Proof-of-Work crypto I can't hate as its PoW system actually contributes to society in a positive way. There are far better cryptos than BTC and ETH; they are antiquated and wasteful.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
Trading electricity and heat for money, while not actually bringing anything of actual value to the planet, should simply be illegal.

JeffF

As much as I hate to say it. Crypto miners have found a way around the Nvidia RTX 3060 Limiters. What makes them think they will not find a way around any of their other limiters.

Torn between "great news" and "shitty thing if you thought that you might be able to offset the x2 price-tag over msrp in a year with mining a few hours a week on the side" .... I mean, it might still be viable (until EIP1559 anyway) but still a strange thing...

I mean..... in general after the next big change in Ether it might be not viable to mine anyway, which might come even sooner than those cards.... so I'm really..... not sure what to think of it. Still.... happy if I get the card I ordered (and payed) more than 3 months ago (when it was listed as available.....)

Really curious if this limiter really ONLY limits mining performance or also affects other areas - hope our @W1zzard takes a look at this. Besides being a perfect fellow German with incredible attention to detail with the new testsuite and redo of so many benchmarks he has the perfect dataset as point of reference to see if/what changed with those "lite has rate" cards besides ether-limitations :)

funny will be when the crypto market bubble pops and then miners choose to buy amd gpus than nvidia and then nvidia needs to unlock the hashrate again to be attractive, intel is coming to gpu maket too, watch out nvidia.

@Metroid
Every company in the game really stacking up these days...do you really think Intel is gonna come and care for a gamers' a** ? They may be at 2010 AMD driver level, otherwise we already had that overpriced (ofc!!) piece of crap, supposedly saving the market. They (nvidia/amd/intel) are having a coalition and there's nothing consumers could do except buying brand new GPUs. But where's the unity in this little crowded world ?...

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
Torn between "great news" and "shitty thing if you thought that you might be able to offset the x2 price-tag over msrp in a year with mining a few hours a week on the side" .... I mean, it might still be viable (until EIP1559 anyway) but still a strange thing...

I mean..... in general after the next big change in Ether it might be not viable to mine anyway, which might come even sooner than those cards.... so I'm really..... not sure what to think of it. Still.... happy if I get the card I ordered (and payed) more than 3 months ago (when it was listed as available.....)

Really curious if this limiter really ONLY limits mining performance or also affects other areas - hope our @W1zzard takes a look at this. Besides being a perfect fellow German with incredible attention to detail with the new testsuite and redo of so many benchmarks he has the perfect dataset as point of reference to see if/what changed with those "lite has rate" cards besides ether-limitations :)
The update to ether will cut by half if not a bit more. So depending how much you make now is depending if it will be profitable or not. And if ETH prices zoom up, then it softens the blow more.

So it will still be profitable to mine. Others may switch some of their systems to other coins, etc. I've already been doing Conflux and I make money from it. Not as much as ether mind you.

And when the cards release, the 3080 may be used to mine other cryptos and we are all back at square one.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Trading electricity and heat for money, while not actually bringing anything of actual value to the planet, should simply be illegal.

It should be illegal for another reason as well. Some countries subsidize electricity production and transmission with tax dollars and they get that money from taxpayers. My country (USA) subsidizes electricity production.

If you're not a miner then think about that next time you get paid and look at the taxes you pay.