• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU availability: bad news for gamers

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Extra patience required. Sigh.

System Name Main PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)
Cooling EKWB X570 VIII Hero Monoblock, 2x XD5, Heatkiller IV SB block for chipset,Alphacool 3090 Strix block
Memory 4x16GB 3200-14-14-14-34 G.Skill Trident RGB (OC: 3600-14-14-14-28)
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3090 Strix OC
Storage 500GB+500GB SSD RAID0, Fusion IoDrive2 1.2TB, Huawei HSSD 2TB, 11TB on server used for steam
Display(s) Dell LG CX48 (custom res: 3840x1620@120Hz) + Acer XB271HU 2560x1440@144Hz
Case Corsair 1000D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD599, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK2
Software Windows 10 Pro 20H2
TSMC's investor call just happened, and they mentioned they're expecting chip shortages to continue throughout the year and possibly into 2022.
Also, while production is increasing (opening new fabs), that process takes years and won't be in time to meet demand until the shortage is expected to cease in 2022 anyway.

Nothing new to us, just official confirmation from TSMC of what we all were speculating.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Yeah, nothing new

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Fabs take a few years to be built. Duh. So 2022 to 2023 until it can get better.
From the horses mouth: 2/4/2021

I've been working in a US chip FAB for over twenty years now, and they are not just an assembly-line you can throw together and start printing money with.

1. You use a metric butt-load of electricity, so you need to site the plant where you can lock-in good rates for it. After all these years, it still boggles my mind that we have so many production tools - I'm looking at you, Diffusion and EPI reactors - which IDLE at 700C to 900C.

1a. And have fun if your power isn't reliable. A power "bump" can abort a batch-process Diffusion furnace, and there goes 150 of your wafers into scrap. Watch your bean-counters heads explode every time that happens.
:)
The last two we had - I sh$t you not - were when Facilities was testing the hand-off between our power back-up systems.

Oh, and if it was an LP-CVD tool that was affected, and the chamber got dusted, you also get to eat the lost production time for doing a quartz change, and time to run quals to get the tool back into production. And those pesky batch tools can have a couple of 6 -to- 8-hour processes to run to pass quals - so your affected tools can be down for a day or two.

2. As you are building the plant, you have to maintain/enforce cleanliness protocols so that you can have an acceptable chance of meeting cleanroom requirements required in the functioning FAB.

3. You use all kinds of industrial gases & chemicals, so you need to site the plant where you can have reliable supply of bulk materials - so if you don't have Praxair, Air Liquide, etc nearby your costs are going to be higher. e.g. My employer has a deal with our supplier that has a Nitrogen concentrator installed & running on-site, and the supplier gets to sell any excess N2 to their other nearby customers.

4. Clean water. We use tons of DI water, so you have to build that supply system into .....

Aw screw it. I don't feel like writing a wall of text.

There is a lot going on in running a FAB, even after you've paid out the nose to build a huge cleanroom space, run all the needed support gases and fluids to each tool, and paid out the nose to have expensive production tools installed and processes qualified for production.

Hazardous materials out the wazoo... most every acid you've ever heard of... Hydroflouric (HF) is my personal fave...

Chlorine (in its' own 'bunker'), Hydrogen, Silane (pyrophoric!), - scared me when we got a new tool using Nitric Oxide (NO) a few years ago, and I overheard a couple of Process guys joking about sneaking back behind the tool to huff a little - because they were thinking it was Nitrous Oxide (NO2). I interrupted them to say they were mistaken, and huffing on any NO would be the last thing they would ever do...

Hell, just DI is dangerous when there are ignorant workers around. e.g I had an operator in CMP who had to be convinced that it was bad for them to be refilling their water bottle with DI from a sink in the FAB ...

TL:DR So yeah, a wall of text anyway... Fabs are expensive to build, staff, and run - and they only make economic sense - due to all the fixed costs for electricity, DI water, and gases (N2) which are required even when the FAB is "idle" - to be running 24/7/365

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
This is why I tell people to not listen to anything Mr Huang says about shortages will end in Quarter X 2021 because the goal post keeps moving. The shortages certainly won't end this year as Mr Huang has said they would.

The best advice I can give anyone is to take good care of the card that you have.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
So I guess more price rises are on the cards to pay for all that stuff.

Don't bite my head off here but I recently read (And stupidly didn't bookmark) an artice that claims this.

'Taiwanese farmers have been subsidised by the government not to grow rice and have the water directed to the chip factories'

Would be good to hunt it down for further analysis.

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
Hmm. Reading that now makes me question whether the US administration can magically migrate semiconductor business, especially TSMC to come here. With the additional cost of labor, regulation, union and further away from manual labor intensive assembly hubs, I dont know whether it makes economy sense to do so.

System Name Black Box
Audio Device(s) No need.
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Don't bite my head off here but I recently read (And stupidly didn't bookmark) an artice that claims this.

'Taiwanese farmers have been subsidised by the government not to grow rice and have the water directed to the chip factories'

Would be good to hunt it down for further analysis.
I believe it, they were trucking water in due to a shortage.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I believe it, they were trucking water in due to a shortage.

me and @TheLostSwede been talking about this recently actually. here some links from our convo

me and @TheLostSwede been talking about this recently actually. here some links from our convo
I recall people telling me of future water shortages back in the 80's. We all thought that big hole in the Ozone was to blame. Guess not.

System Name Black Box
Audio Device(s) No need.
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Hmm. Reading that now makes me question whether the US administration can magically migrate semiconductor business, especially TSMC to come here. With the additional cost of labor, regulation, union and further away from manual labor intensive assembly hubs, I dont know whether it makes economy sense to do so.
It makes Political sense though, to have vital manufacturing industries.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I recall people telling me of future water shortages back in the 80's. We all thought that big hole in the Ozone was to blame. Guess not.

I think the scientists underestimate how much consumption 7.5 billion humans use.

It makes Political sense though, to have vital manufacturing industries.

from a security standpoint i agree ya.

ppn

With 4 unskippable regurgitated to death ads and thankfully 2 skippable product placements inside most videos are unwatchable nowadays. it's a real fight to get to the content. and the content is just bad news only good for english lessons, but only if they stopped giggling like mad men all the time in the live shows. but people seem to like that. the year is 2023 get over it, same content. all influencers should hide their faces. Now eth breaking all sanity levels I'm completely losing all hope.

With 4 unskippable regurgitated to death ads and thankfully 2 skippable product placements inside most videos are unwatchable nowadays. it's a real fight to get to the content. and the content is just bad news only good for english lessons, but only if they stopped giggling like mad men all the time in the live shows. but people seem to like that. the year is 2023 get over it, same content. Now eth breaking all sanity levels I'm completely llsin all hope.
There are alternative sources for this type of content. You don't have to suffer ;)

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
Also, would it be nice for all of us who post a video link to include a TL;DW? @qubit

Just dropping a video link with 0 written text sucks, all those youtuber videos are designed for monitization (super long to feed youtube algorithm). Sucks for the reader / watcher. I dont want to waste time.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Also, would it be nice for all of us who post a video link to include a TL;DW? @qubit

Just dropping a video link with 0 written text sucks, all those youtuber videos are designed for monitization (super long to feed youtube algorithm). Sucks for the reader / watcher. I dont want to waste time.
I did write something. Together with the title it's quite enough. I could easily post a video with only a title and no text and that would be fine, too.

I found the video interesting from a major YouTuber on the tech scene and hence posted it. If people don't wanna watch it, don't have a go at me and give me all this TLDW crap. Just don't watch it and move on.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
From the horses mouth: 2/4/2021

I've been working in a US chip FAB for over twenty years now, and they are not just an assembly-line you can throw together and start printing money with.

1. You use a metric butt-load of electricity, so you need to site the plant where you can lock-in good rates for it. After all these years, it still boggles my mind that we have so many production tools - I'm looking at you, Diffusion and EPI reactors - which IDLE at 700C to 900C.

1a. And have fun if your power isn't reliable. A power "bump" can abort a batch-process Diffusion furnace, and there goes 150 of your wafers into scrap. Watch your bean-counters heads explode every time that happens.
:)
The last two we had - I sh$t you not - were when Facilities was testing the hand-off between our power back-up systems.

Oh, and if it was an LP-CVD tool that was affected, and the chamber got dusted, you also get to eat the lost production time for doing a quartz change, and time to run quals to get the tool back into production. And those pesky batch tools can have a couple of 6 -to- 8-hour processes to run to pass quals - so your affected tools can be down for a day or two.

2. As you are building the plant, you have to maintain/enforce cleanliness protocols so that you can have an acceptable chance of meeting cleanroom requirements required in the functioning FAB.

3. You use all kinds of industrial gases & chemicals, so you need to site the plant where you can have reliable supply of bulk materials - so if you don't have Praxair, Air Liquide, etc nearby your costs are going to be higher. e.g. My employer has a deal with our supplier that has a Nitrogen concentrator installed & running on-site, and the supplier gets to sell any excess N2 to their other nearby customers.

4. Clean water. We use tons of DI water, so you have to build that supply system into .....

Aw screw it. I don't feel like writing a wall of text.

There is a lot going on in running a FAB, even after you've paid out the nose to build a huge cleanroom space, run all the needed support gases and fluids to each tool, and paid out the nose to have expensive production tools installed and processes qualified for production.

Hazardous materials out the wazoo... most every acid you've ever heard of... Hydroflouric (HF) is my personal fave...

Chlorine (in its' own 'bunker'), Hydrogen, Silane (pyrophoric!), - scared me when we got a new tool using Nitric Oxide (NO) a few years ago, and I overheard a couple of Process guys joking about sneaking back behind the tool to huff a little - because they were thinking it was Nitrous Oxide (NO2). I interrupted them to say they were mistaken, and huffing on any NO would be the last thing they would ever do...

Hell, just DI is dangerous when there are ignorant workers around. e.g I had an operator in CMP who had to be convinced that it was bad for them to be refilling their water bottle with DI from a sink in the FAB ...

TL:DR So yeah, a wall of text anyway... Fabs are expensive to build, staff, and run - and they only make economic sense - due to all the fixed costs for electricity, DI water, and gases (N2) which are required even when the FAB is "idle" - to be running 24/7/365
Yep, indeed most folks have no idea how complex a fab plant is. I also spent a year and a half onsite at one and the constant deconstruction and retooling going on of production buildings and clean rooms is amazing. The number of chemicals and hazmat and special cooling/ water is also mind-boggling. There is nothing quick about the process of increasing production or starting a new run of a chip design. People will need to be patient.

I did write something. Together with the title it's quite enough. I could easily post a video with only a title and no text and that would be fine, too.

I found the video interesting from a major YouTuber on the tech scene and hence posted it. If people don't wanna watch it, don't have a go at me and give me all this TLDW crap. Just don't watch it and move on.
Got to admit his *Eye* fixit plugs are hilarious :D

Yep, indeed most folks have no idea how complex a fab plant is. I also spent a year and a half onsite at one and the constant deconstruction and retooling going on of production buildings and clean rooms is amazing. The number of chemicals and hazmat and special cooling/ water is also mind-boggling. There is nothing quick about the process of increasing production or starting a new run of a chip design. People will need to be patient.
I think the short lifespan (Cough, give us more cash) in hardware is putting huge pressure on these plants to churn out goods at a sometimes unreasonable rates.
In short, I think we are spoilt and don't realize it until times like these.

Last edited:
System Name Desktop-TJ84TBK
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 120mm, Noctua NF-F12
Memory B-Die 2x8GB 3200 CL14, Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200 CL16, OC'd to 3333 MT/s C16-16-16-32 tRC 48
Video Card(s) PNY GTX 690
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, MX500 500GB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Black 2TB, WD Caviar Green 3TB, Intel Optane 16GB
Display(s) Sceptre M25 1080p200, ASUS 1080p74, Apple Studio Display M7649 17"
Case Rosewill CRUISER Black Gaming
Audio Device(s) SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS GM-750
Mouse Kensington K72369
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit, macOS 11.7.8
Benchmark Scores are good
People are going to have to buy pre built systems if they want the higher end 3000 series GPU's by the look of things. :(
laughs in not caring about Ampere cards
In short, I think we are spoilt and don't realize it until times like these.
I frequent the LTT forums, and it's really fun to watch the threads about "how to fix GPU shortages", "how to stop miners from buying all the GPUs", "miners are bad because GPUs are for gaming", etc.
As someone put it, "This shortage has brought to light the obscene amount of 'gamer entitlement' that people have."