• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Silently Relaunching RTX 30-series with "Lite Hash Rate" Silicon Edition

System Name Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-45-R715)
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
Motherboard AMD Promontory / Bixby FCH
Cooling Acer Nitro Sense
Memory 32 GB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Graphics (Cezanne) / NVIDIA RTX 3080 Laptop GPU
Storage WDC PC SN530 SDBPNPZ
Display(s) BOE CQ NE156QHM-NY3
Software Windows 11 beta channel
Remember that story regarding NVIDIA relaunching a new RTX 3060 SKU that actually does limit the hash rate for Ethereum mining workloads?

DriverVer = 04/23/2021, 27.21.14.6627
NVIDIA_DEV.220D = "NVIDIA Graphics Device" ; ???
NVIDIA_DEV.2503 = "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060" ; old
NVIDIA_DEV.2504 = "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060" ; new

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Nice. I think it is a good attempt to segment the market.

Segmentation into what, cards for mining and cards for mining?

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Segmentation into what, cards for mining and cards for mining?
Or cards for ai and mining and cards for games and mining. Sums it up. I am curious how they are going to do this in silicon without butchering similar workloads

Definitely interested to see what they put in their heuristics to detect dags, etc

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
I wish you all the best luck with the card. And please let me know what happens.
Sale at performance pcs so I picked up a new rad and quantum block.

System Name Marmo / Kanon
Processor Intel Core i7 9700K / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi / X570S Aorus Pro AX
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S x 2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 2666-C16 / 32GB 3200-C16
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX3070 Ti / Asus TUF RX 6800XT OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, 860 EVO 1TB / Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 970 EVO+ 1TB
Display(s) Dell AW2521HFA / U2715H
Case Fractal Design Focus G / Pop Air RGB
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Creative SB ZxR
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus GX 650W / PX 750W
Mouse Logitech MX310 / G1
Keyboard Logitech G413 / G513
Software Win 11 Ent
Trading electricity and heat for money, while not actually bringing anything of actual value to the planet, should simply be illegal.
Maybe some of us could try to launch a signed petition to the government against crypto mining?

Honestly with so many rich fat cats supporting the crypto around the world, I do not think the government of any major countries would ban mining and make it illegal. After all it's those uber riches who make the laws/rules, not us peasants.

Maybe some of us could try to launch a signed petition to the government against crypto mining?

Honestly with so many rich fat cats supporting the crypto around the world, I do not think the government of any major countries would ban mining and make it illegal. After all it's those uber riches who make the laws/rules, not us peasants.
Yes, I've likened it to 2.5 lbs of food for a single day's wages, 13.5 lbs of animal feed for a day's wage, but don't harm the price of luxury items.

D

Deleted member 193792

Sorry, GPUs are General Processing Units now.
You mean GPGPUs.

Yeah, we don't live in the 3Dfx Voodoo era anymore.

3Dfx chips were true ASICs (fixed-function graphics with zero programmability).

Blame CUDA/OpenCL. GPU compute is far bigger than gaming these days... it's not just mining, but also AI (neural networks/deep learning), self-driving cars, HPC/cloud etc.

3Dfx actually mocked the concept of GPU compute back in the late 90s (7:40):

As much as I loved 3Dfx, I have to admit that dinosaurs eventually perish... flexible organisms (companies) adapt and survive. Adapt or perish.

PCs (including 3D gaming) were instrumental in the 90s to kickstart the GPU revolution.

Imagine if we banned PCs due to CO2 concerns:

People need to see the big picture (something that 3Dfx didn't do and they paid the price).

"This is not only going to affect PC gaming today but it will affect PC gaming in the future as well because most gamers simply can't afford the ridiculously priced GPUs from scalpers and may just leave PC gaming which will have a domino effect with Developers neglecting PC game versions because there will be less money in it for them."

This is true and ultimately it's a problem AMD, Nvidia, and potentially Intel have to face. Again though they would have to be crazy to simply let customers walk away.
TSMC is already investing 100 billion USD to build more fabs.

By 2023-2024 we will have an abundance of affordable GPUs (used mining GPUs will surely help to keep MSRPs in check, although few people are willing to admit that), since the current bull run will most likely end by late 2021/early 2022.

People need to have patience. 2019 was an excellent year to buy a GPU. 2023 will be the new "2019". 2025 will be the new "2021" and so on (until 2030).

If you learn the market patterns, it's not that hard to buy GPUs at affordable prices and even pay off your entire PC when the next crypto bull run emerges (every 4 years like clockwork).

yes. save all that bloat for quadro. lean and mean gaming gpu for me.
When 3D acceleration was introduced with 3Dfx Voodoo, many people called it "useless" (because most games used software rasterization back then).

When T&L was introduced with GeForce 256, many people called it "useless" (because most games didn't use DX7/T&L).

When programmable pixel/vertex shaders were introduced with GeForce 3, many people called them "useless" (because most games didn't use DX8/shaders).

See a pattern here? Only young people don't remember. Old people have no excuse to disrespect tech progress when it doesn't come from their favorite company.

DLSS is as revolutionary as Glide was back in late 90s from a technological perspective. Tensor cores are NOT useless for gaming.

You may argue it's proprietary, but Glide was proprietary too. Should people ignore 3Dfx Voodoo cards too?

People buy what's best bang for the buck. Ampere MSRPs are pretty reasonable (minus 3090 maybe).

I'm pretty sure if AMD invented DLSS first, everyone would love them. Just like they did with Mantle and Async Compute (great tech inventions too, not so great if nVidia brought them first).

Trading electricity and heat for money, while not actually bringing anything of actual value to the planet, should simply be illegal.
Be careful what you wish for.

I know many people who consider gaming & PCs wasteful in terms of electricity consumption, especially if we compare them to smartphones consuming 2-3W max.

It should be illegal for another reason as well. Some countries subsidize electricity production and transmission with tax dollars and they get that money from taxpayers. My country (USA) subsidizes electricity production.

If you're not a miner then think about that next time you get paid and look at the taxes you pay.
How would you feel if they banned PC ownership in favor of cloud computing/gaming?

You guys don't realize that banning freedoms is a slippery slope that -sooner or later- will bite you in the ass. They won't ban only the things you hate, but also things you love.

Centralized cloud infrastructures can be more efficient due to economies of scale. Don't take my word for it, just wait for cloud companies in the coming years.

If you're a PC gamer, please think about that next time you play the "CO2 card". It goes both ways.

Maybe I just have a warped perception vs others, but it seems to me that despite the increase in knowledge & technology, there's an apparent noticeable decline in wisdom with an influx of stupidity.
I agree if you're talking about people who cannot see the big picture.

Or cards for ai and mining and cards for games and mining. Sums it up. I am curious how they are going to do this in silicon without butchering similar workloads

Definitely interested to see what they put in their heuristics to detect dags, etc
People will jump to RVN if they compromise ETH hashrates.

And if they do the same to RVN too, they will move to something else.

CMC has over 5000 coins (most are shitcoins, but are there are 20-30 solid projects worth looking into).

Banning p2p in general reminds me of banning BitTorrent. It's impossible to ban it, unless you shut down the internet (TCP/IP in general). Shutting down RapidShare was easy-peasy (I told RapidShare fans long time ago that centralized architectures are easy to shut down vs BitTorrent and they mocked me). Decentralization is crucial for preservation.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Nvidia just announced that their founder's addition cards won't be hash rate limited.

Odd play , so full HR if you pay Nvidia direct.

They'll need a bigger back door.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Nvidia just announced that their founder's addition cards won't be hash rate limited.

Odd play , so full HR if you pay Nvidia direct.

They'll need a bigger back door.

So it would not likely be completely silicon based.

heliosgnosis

Huh, hope my Alienware I ordered to come by June doesn't have this limiter. If so, I guess I'll have to cancel my order.
Nah man they will be using old stock, in all irony the major OEM makers have not experienced a shortage of gpus only to much business to handle once miners started buying prebuild desktops and OEM gaming laptops to mine on then consumers followed suit not long after but that probably was because you got a steal given the ridiculous scalper prices being 2-450 off the price of a entire computer with maxed out ram and decent CPU for that matter

You mean GPGPUs.

Yeah, we don't live in the 3Dfx Voodoo era anymore.

3Dfx chips were true ASICs (fixed-function graphics with zero programmability).

Blame CUDA/OpenCL. GPU compute is far bigger than gaming these days... it's not just mining, but also AI (neural networks/deep learning), self-driving cars, HPC/cloud etc.

3Dfx actually mocked the concept of GPU compute back in the late 90s (7:40):

As much as I loved 3Dfx, I have to admit that dinosaurs eventually perish... flexible organisms (companies) adapt and survive. Adapt or perish.

PCs (including 3D gaming) were instrumental in the 90s to kickstart the GPU revolution.

Imagine if we banned PCs due to CO2 concerns:

People need to see the big picture (something that 3Dfx didn't do and they paid the price).

TSMC is already investing 100 billion USD to build more fabs.

By 2023-2024 we will have an abundance of affordable GPUs (used mining GPUs will surely help to keep MSRPs in check, although few people are willing to admit that), since the current bull run will most likely end by late 2021/early 2022.

People need to have patience. 2019 was an excellent year to buy a GPU. 2023 will be the new "2019". 2025 will be the new "2021" and so on (until 2030).

If you learn the market patterns, it's not that hard to buy GPUs at affordable prices and even pay off your entire PC when the next crypto bull run emerges (every 4 years like clockwork).

When 3D acceleration was introduced with 3Dfx Voodoo, many people called it "useless" (because most games used software rasterization back then).

When T&L was introduced with GeForce 256, many people called it "useless" (because most games didn't use DX7/T&L).

When programmable pixel/vertex shaders were introduced with GeForce 3, many people called them "useless" (because most games didn't use DX8/shaders).

See a pattern here? Only young people don't remember. Old people have no excuse to disrespect tech progress when it doesn't come from their favorite company.

DLSS is as revolutionary as Glide was back in late 90s from a technological perspective. Tensor cores are NOT useless for gaming.

You may argue it's proprietary, but Glide was proprietary too. Should people ignore 3Dfx Voodoo cards too?

People buy what's best bang for the buck. Ampere MSRPs are pretty reasonable (minus 3090 maybe).

I'm pretty sure if AMD invented DLSS first, everyone would love them. Just like they did with Mantle and Async Compute (great tech inventions too, not so great if nVidia brought them first).

Be careful what you wish for.

I know many people who consider gaming & PCs wasteful in terms of electricity consumption, especially if we compare them to smartphones consuming 2-3W max.

How would you feel if they banned PC ownership in favor of cloud computing/gaming?

You guys don't realize that banning freedoms is a slippery slope that -sooner or later- will bite you in the ass. They won't ban only the things you hate, but also things you love.

Centralized cloud infrastructures can be more efficient due to economies of scale. Don't take my word for it, just wait for cloud companies in the coming years.

If you're a PC gamer, please think about that next time you play the "CO2 card". It goes both ways.

I agree if you're talking about people who cannot see the big picture.

People will jump to RVN if they compromise ETH hashrates.

And if they do the same to RVN too, they will move to something else.

CMC has over 5000 coins (most are shitcoins, but are there are 20-30 solid projects worth looking into).

Banning p2p in general reminds me of banning BitTorrent. It's impossible to ban it, unless you shut down the internet (TCP/IP in general). Shutting down RapidShare was easy-peasy (I told RapidShare fans long time ago that centralized architectures are easy to shut down vs BitTorrent and they mocked me). Decentralization is crucial for preservation.
They will, that is why anyone who may think they are short on luck should mine raven now while even a 7 year old 3gb GPU can hash on it decent, a modern card heck 15-30 whole coins a day, once the ether mine is hashed dry come it being turned off for mining in december that price of raven is going to jolt up not to mention if or if not it has that coinbase listing by then, long story short ANY and I mean ANY crypto pumped hard core jolts in price, ERGO is a fine example, went from 8.13-13.53 in about a week, once the vulchars found out how easy it was to mine they were like files to Sh** and now it is easy to get a high hash rate, but so many are mining it that work is totally pointless, even with 300 MH/s what use to get you 3-4 coins a day gets .6-.8 a day that hashrate is 2 3000 series cards or 6 multi gen cards up to 6 years old, speaking from actual experience as of now May 26th 2021.... mine ravencoin as much as you can, even if its 1.30 a coin by January of 2022 just mining while one sleeps and/or works as well... 20 raven a day times 7 months time is just shy of 4000 coins or 5200 bucks USD at the 1.30 price I tossed out there, given how many would mine it I would not be surprised to see a temporary value of 3-5 bucks for a good month or 2 before it goes to just below a dollar where it should and will probably be at in 7-9 months time frame.... just advice from an old hacker who has been mining crypto since before the surface net knew the name Satoshi Nakomoto or Bitcoin, I still have a few bitcoin I mined on ancient xeons, not kidding

The whole CO2 agenda of the media/musk/ where the false data of bitcoins electric power comes from being a huge conflict of interest given where the supposed research data began was from a lobbyist of the dutch national bank to which many have quoted especially Musk and the media, the correct number of bitcoins carbon foot print and this includes the fact almost zero power is used for each and every transaction which we have been told otherwise to which is a lie the final sum is .018-.1 % of the total carbon emissions in comparison to all other CO2 emissions including natural ones such as every single known and unknown volcano on earth above ground , under ground and under water for that matter. A simple ice core sample puts all this BS to rest giving us a horrific picture than every 50-80000 years massive amounts of CO2 alters the climate for a huge part of this planet, melting ice unlocked untold metric tons of CO2 in weeks to which would take humans 50 years to pump into the air, I think most people do not consider the fact that we have 230-250 miles of open atmosphere above our heads on average at any given moment the about of space above is so far more than all the land and water on earth that the fill it up by burning fossil fuels like petrol or coal seems rather childish to even think is the actual cause especially with ice core data not to mention the math you know the ONLY thing on the planet that will never lie at the end of the day. The true hurts and in this case it is a ton of natural causes which should be of concern due to what has ALWAYS happened on QUE due to this mass release of CO2 gases from ice. I am not denying global warming at all I am saying there is mathematical proof and physical proof for any and all to look up and see we are not even 5% of the cause I can only imagine the reason a ruling party would claim we are to blame is to has reason to have another tax even tho we are not the cause our less than 5% would be absorbed by this earth not alter it, now our over fishing, hunting animals and dumping radioactive wastes into the oceans and where we like is a whole other story but it does not include temps but less oxygen and a more thin protection from radiation the current atmosphere protects us from, keeping it up and this rock will be just that in a good 1000 years if or if not we have enough time to get off of it before this culture collapes like all have before it due to the 50k-75000 year window of time before a massive climate event that usually starts a iceage or ends one regardless of all our fancy toys if that happens everyone is on the same sinking ship and eaten by the same hunger sharks regardless of wealth or safe houses, no one could outlast such conditions for centuries to thousands of years of time , maybe in a pipe dream they could lol

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
Nah man they will be using old stock, in all irony the major OEM makers have not experienced a shortage of gpus only to much business to handle once miners started buying prebuild desktops and OEM gaming laptops to mine on then consumers followed suit not long after but that probably was because you got a steal given the ridiculous scalper prices being 2-450 off the price of a entire computer with maxed out ram and decent CPU for that matter

We will see. The machine is here in the city and I picked it up tomorrow.

I'll be looking to mine coins directly again instead of using nicehash.