• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel "Sapphire Rapids" Xeon Processor Could Feature Up To 80 Cores: New Leak

System Name Desktop-TJ84TBK
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 120mm, Noctua NF-F12
Memory B-Die 2x8GB 3200 CL14, Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200 CL16, OC'd to 3333 MT/s C16-16-16-32 tRC 48
Video Card(s) PNY GTX 690
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, MX500 500GB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Black 2TB, WD Caviar Green 3TB, Intel Optane 16GB
Display(s) Sceptre M25 1080p200, ASUS 1080p74, Apple Studio Display M7649 17"
Case Rosewill CRUISER Black Gaming
Audio Device(s) SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS GM-750
Mouse Kensington K72369
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit, macOS 11.7.8
Benchmark Scores are good
I wonder what it'll be like to cool......
Gonna need LN2 to keep it from thermal throttling, and the IHS is going to be both soldered and have LM applied

The stock cooler will have it thermal shutdown when at max load

And a 360mm AIO will keep it at 100C

I wonder what it'll be like to cool......

Usually 280W to 400W of heat dissapation. Clocks of enterprise / server CPU's generally are lower compared to consumer(s) CPU's. Second; in a datacentre, where these things belong, there is no such thing as silence as datacenter rooms are temperature controlled or even mass hooked to a watercooling system. 400W is'nt that much. With servers your more looking at "how much work can i do for the money" where power consumption alread is taken into account. You pay for current an hour btw.

System Name Personal Gaming Rig
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Carbon
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 ICHILL FROSTBITE ULTRA
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Display(s) Samsung G8 OLED
Case Silverstone FT04
Does it support multiple sockets or already saturated all the inter-connects in the gluing process ?

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
I wonder if it's going to fail before it's even been released... Well, will look forward to see what it can do....

Its 56 core ....

If i follow your Logic , ICL-SP is 56 core instead 40
And Skylake SP is 36 core not 28 ....

I wonder how long(if its even possible) before "GPU-type" cards just replace CPUs altogether.

Replace?

GPUs are a completely different model of computation. CPUs are low latency, GPUs are high latency. It takes extraordinary amounts of effort to rewrite code to efficiently work on a GPU, and its unknown if some algorithms could ever be efficient on a GPU.

EDIT: If you mean a 60-core CPU-card that plugs into the PCIe port, well, that was already done. Look up Xeon Phi 5110P, no one seemed to like it.

Last edited:
Replace?

GPUs are a completely different model of computation. CPUs are low latency, GPUs are high latency. It takes extraordinary amounts of effort to rewrite code to efficiently work on a GPU, and its unknown if some algorithms could ever be efficient on a GPU.

EDIT: If you mean a 60-core CPU-card that plugs into the PCIe port, well, that was already done. Look up Xeon Phi 5110P, no one seemed to like it.
So basically its not possible & would be comparable to wanting a BelAZ 75600 used in stripping pits to perform like a race car?

So basically its not possible & would be comparable to wanting a BelAZ 75600 used in stripping pits to perform like a race car?

I mean...

It can happen. Just really unlikely. And if it does happen, the end result won't really look like a truck fundamentally anymore, and more like a jet-plane.

----------

Ex: PEZY Accelerators are CPU-like and GPU-like (https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/pezy/pezy-scx/pezy-sc). But as a hybrid design, they don't look anything like a traditional CPU or GPU: clearly some kind of weird mix between the two. The A64Fx is another hybrid: mostly CPU (ARM architecture), but it uses GPU-RAM instead of traditional CPU-RAM.

I expect future CPUs to grow more GPU-like, and for future GPUs to grow more CPU-like. But at the same time, there's clearly "CPU-only" workloads and "GPU-only" workloads. Some tasks may never make sense on the other architecture.

I mean...

It can happen. Just really unlikely. And if it does happen, the end result won't really look like a truck fundamentally anymore, and more like a jet-plane.

----------

Ex: PEZY Accelerators are CPU-like and GPU-like (https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/pezy/pezy-scx/pezy-sc). But as a hybrid design, they don't look anything like a traditional CPU or GPU: clearly some kind of weird mix between the two. The A64Fx is another hybrid: mostly CPU (ARM architecture), but it uses GPU-RAM instead of traditional CPU-RAM.

I expect future CPUs to grow more GPU-like, and for future GPUs to grow more CPU-like. But at the same time, there's clearly "CPU-only" workloads and "GPU-only" workloads. Some tasks may never make sense on the other architecture.
Oh no doubt its within the realm of possibility, but just not economically feasible. Years ago for shits & giggles, me and a friend did some rough calculations to see what it would take to get one of those fully loaded stripping pit dump trucks in our area to do 80mph and came up with a figure close to 100,000 HP. Never mind what it would take to stop the behemoth after reaching that speed. It would be more of an expensive novelty venture.

System Name KarymidoN TitaN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570
Cooling Custom Watercooling Loop
Memory 2x Kingston FURY RGB 16gb @ 3200mhz 18-20-20-39
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8GB
Storage Kingston NV2 1TB| 4TB HDD
Display(s) 4X 1080P LG Monitors
Case Thermaltake Core V71
Power Supply Corsair TX 600
Mouse Logitech G300S
how they're gonna feed such beast? nuclear reactor integrated in the Mobo? only sell for datacenters in Iceland or Siberia?

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASROCKS B450 Steel Legend
Cooling AMD Stealth
Memory 2x8gb DDR4 3200 Corsair
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage WD Black 512gb, WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Power Supply 700W Thermaltake Smart
Mouse Logitech Mx510
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow 2012
Software Windows 10 Professional
the jokes on all of them, data centers seldom go for these crazy core counts, its cheaper to buy more mainstream core density's and build out the rack more, because you have less heat concentration, something with 400w load won't fit in a 1u rack which is the gold standard, and it will dump to much heat at one spot. Most data centers I've been in recently use servers with between 12-16 cores per server with load balancing it all fits neatly in 1u enclosures, it's easier to cool, and its significantly cheaper.